The Folly of Love

By SixteenAgain

Once touched by love, our lives can never be the same. Sameer Maheshwari, though born in India, grew up in L... More

Prologue
|| 1 ||
|| 2 ||
|| 3 ||
|| 4 ||
|| 5 ||
|| 6 ||
|| 8 ||
|| 9 ||
|| 10 ||
|| 11 ||
|| 12 ||
|| 13 ||
|| 14 ||
|| 15 ||
|| 16 ||
|| 17 ||
|| 18 ||
|| 19 ||
|| 20 ||
|| 21 ||
|| 22 ||
|| 23 ||
|| 24 ||
|| 25 ||
|| 26 ||
|| 27 ||
|| 28 ||
|| 29 ||
|| 30 ||
|| 31 ||
|| 32 ||
|| 33 ||
|| 34 ||
|| 35 ||
|| 36 ||
|| 37 ||
|| 38 ||
|| 39 ||
|| 40 ||
|| 41 ||
Epilogue

|| 7 ||

2.7K 266 114
By SixteenAgain

18th May 1994

On entering the porch, one of the servants approached Jaiprakashji "Sir, would you like to head to dinner right away or a little later? I will advise the kitchen staff accordingly." Nanaji glanced at his watch and Sameer. When his grandson shrugged not specifying a preference, Nanaji replied "It's already close to 8:30, I think we will eat now. Anyway, we had a light lunch today." As the servant started leading them towards a staircase he explained "We have set up a table in one of the terraces. It's a beautiful evening, and now that the sun is down, eating out will be very pleasant."

Naina lingered behind a little hesitantly. Surely, she couldn't join the clients in their private time. She called out to Jaiprakashji "Sir, please enjoy your evening. I will see you both at breakfast tomorrow. Hope you are okay with the visit planned to the village and the main palace for tomorrow morning?"

As Nanaji nodded, Sameer asked her confused "Won't you have dinner?" She asked the servant "Where will the driver eat?" He replied, "He will eat with the other palace servants." She remarked to Sameer "I will join them too." He exclaimed "Don't be silly Naina. Why would you eat with the servants?!" She replied awkwardly "I will be fine eating with the others. It doesn't feel right..." He cut her off impatiently "Come on! Surely we all are way past that age-old class system. I am certain you will have more to talk about with us, than some villagers here."

Naina was still not convinced "I don't want to intrude. Please carry on. I am sure you both have much to catch-up on."  Nanaji spoke up "Naina, Sameer is right. Join us for dinner. We will have ample time for chatting later on." She gave in and advised the servant to inform Shambhu that she would meet him after dinner to finalise the plans for the next day.

The dinner table had been set up in one of the numerous small terraces adorning Dasi Mahal. A few potted rose plants lining the parapet wall were delightfully perfuming the cool breeze. An assortment of olden style lanterns had been placed strategically, to add to the ambience. While Nanaji nodded in satisfaction, Sameer tried to capture some shots of the palace grounds trying out the night photography settings on his camera. Naina stood looking around wide-eyed. It was all too dreamlike.

The servant enquired before he left "Sir, would you like us to serve any drinks?" Sameer was deliberating if he could ask for a beer when his grandfather replied, "Some rose sherbet for me." When the servant looked at Naina, she replied softly "I would like the same please." Seeing his grandfather's choice of drink for the evening, Sameer rethought his idea about a beer and added "A cola for me, thank you." The man smiled and left them to themselves.

Nanaji and Naina discussed the beauty of the area surrounding the dam from their earlier visit. Nanaji then started reminiscing about the time he had visited the Sasan Gir National Park with some friends a few months back. He described the old guest house from the days of the British raj that they had stayed in, and the wildlife spotted during that trip. Naina listened to him happily and asked him about his other travel experiences.

The conversation flowed, as their drinks and dinner were served. Sameer spoke a little about his recent trip to the Santorini Island in Southern Greece.  Naina listened in wonder, as he described the white villas with blue roofs that lent the palace its distinctive character. She realised that for someone so young he was very well travelled. Reading about all the exotic locations was one thing but listening to the first-hand account from a visitor quite another!

She asked him about his best and worst memories as a tourist and what he believed were the most desirable qualities in a tour guide.

He first went on to list the qualities he detested "I find it a big turn-off when the guide comes across as pushy and constantly presents a one-dimensional view of the place. It gets rather tiresome when they are trying to over-sell the place and its charms. I mean, the tourists are already there... just show them a good time now!"

He shook his head recalling something "It's fine to reveal your human side, but too much sharing especially of personal problems is very unprofessional. I remember this one time when we had taken a vacation to Venice with family friends. We had engaged a private tour guide for the day and all I remember of that day is her doleful expressions and bickering at every opportunity about her recent divorce. Well, maybe the guy did treat her rather shabbily, but just how much are we expected to care about it?! The thought of Venice probably invokes an image of a romantic gondola ride for most people, but for me it just brings unsatisfactory divorce settlements to mind."

Nanaji teased him chuckling "Well, I suppose we can successfully rule out Venice as your honeymoon destination!" Sameer frowned momentarily and then joined his grandfather's laughter.

The little reference to his future honeymoon left Naina feeling a little out of sorts. She quickly quipped "I hope not all your experiences with tourist guides are so dismal!"

He stopped laughing and responded "Oh... not at all. Some of them have been very helpful and attentive. I like it when they are prepared with the facts and make a genuine effort to make the trip a memorable one for visitors... and memorable in a good way. It's very heart-warming when they make any effort to understand the interests of the individuals in a group and then share information accordingly. And one fail-safe technique is to engage with the children in the group and try to make the event enjoyable for them. That is always much appreciated by both the children and their parents."

Seeing her serious expressions, he grinned, "And of course, nothing like it, if the guide is young and pretty!" Naina blushed thinking, Does it mean he thinks I am pretty? Stop reading too much into his words Naina! He is just being a courteous gentleman. He would hardly flirt in front of his grandfather! She attacked the food in her plate with much zeal. Nanaji silently listened to their banter.

The dinner plates were cleared away and the server advised them that the dessert and coffees would be served shortly.

Naina excused herself and wandered to one end of the terrace. She tried to take in the surrounding views. The otherwise complete silence was interrupted at intervals by the chirping of crickets. The moon overhead was just a few nights away from shining in its complete glory. A couple of men rode away from the palace on a two-wheeler, probably having finished their work for the day. She stretched on her toes, trying to touch an ornamental statue set in the wall by the ledge. It was a mythological creature, some strange mix of a horse and a lion.

An uncanny felling of being watched came over and she turned back. There he stood, casually checking her out again. She felt the flush rush up her neck. She had stayed silent that morning at the café, but not now.

Naina remarked irked "Its bad manners to stare at someone like this."  "Like what??" Sameer raised his eyebrows. She stammered a little "Like... this... the way you are... looking at me, right now." He responded sardonically "So, why are you wearing this saree? Surely you are well aware of what it is going to reveal."

She was speechless for a bit but, recovering soon, said in a clipped tone "I wouldn't have expected this from someone who has lived his life in the west." He simply asked "Why?" She fumbled "Well... because... you see women in modern western clothes all the time. I have watched the English soaps on the cable. You must be used to seeing girls in red swimwear every day!" He was confused "What girls in red swimwear?" She elaborated "Girls like that Pamela Anderson."

He burst out laughing "My dear, I live in London, not California! So, unfortunately, I don't get to see any hot life guards every day. The British weather ensures all the beauties are covered in layers of clothing for most part of the year." He added smirking "And if something is on display... men will watch, no matter which part of the world they come from! We are very simple creatures you see... if you choose to show... we will see." Not knowing how to respond to this, she walked away with a disgruntled expression. Sameer stayed by the ledge staring in the darkness, What the hell did I say that she is so vexed?!

Though he couldn't hear their conversation, Nanaji had been observing their interaction and how she walked back to the table looking a little troubled.

When Naina joined him at the table, he asked her after a minute or two "Did you contact your family on reaching here?" She smiled "Yes sir, I used the phone from the palace office with Balwant's permission. I knew Maa and Nani would keep worrying otherwise. I have given them the office number for any emergency too." She went on after a small pause "I have been on a couple of trips as part of my course, but it's the first time, I am away from home for work. They were very reluctant, and it took a lot of trying to convince them." 

The older man felt strangely relieved to hear that she was not in the habit of making such trips. He asked perceptively "Were they okay about you travelling with two unknown men?" Naina lowered her eyes and replied in a shaky voice "Sir... actually, I lied. I didn't want them to worry too much. I told them that I was traveling with an elderly couple and their small grandson. They think your wife is accompanying us too."

Nanaji sounded displeased "Why would you lie to them?! They will feel so hurt to know that you deceived them." Her eyes gathered moisture "I didn't mean to hurt them. But..." He rebuked her "Do you kids really not understand that your elders always have your best interest at heart?!"

Naina wrung one end of saree in despair "Sorry Sir... It's just that. The diploma course fee is due at the end of this month and the institute has announced a considerable increase in the fees. I have been saving for the expected amount all through the year. But, now it's not enough."

He probed "Can your mother not cover it?" She shook her head in negation "Maa is already paying the fee for BA course. She was hesitant for me to enrol for this private diploma course due to the extra expense, as it would be very hard for her to cover it. I convinced her that I would earn and cover the cost of the diploma. Now that the first year has already been completed, it would be a big waste of the money and time already spent. The overnight allowance for this trip will really help. I will just need a little bit more and I know someone that I can borrow the remaining amount from."

When the older man remained silent, she uttered in a low voice "I am so sorry Sir, that you are disappointed." His voice instantly softened "Stop calling me Sir and call me Nanaji. All my grandkids are about your age." As she looked at him taken aback, he said "Naina, I understand that you made this decision with the best of intentions, but that does not make it right. Beta, you lied because you knew they wouldn't have allowed you on this trip if there wasn't an older woman to chaperone you, right?" When she nodded, he went on "And that is because they would have been thinking of your safely?" She again nodded in acceptance.

Nanaji smiled at her "Beta, you are still very young. Your trusting view of the world is probably based on the good people who have crossed your path. But, not everyone out there is trustworthy. Education is important, but you shouldn't be risking your safety for it."

After a small pause, he continued gazing at her lovingly "Promise me you will not undertake such risks again. No travelling alone with strangers like this!" She smiled with teary eyes, feeling overwhelmed by his warmth and concern "Yes Sir." He frowned "Sir again?" She coloured "Yes Nanaji."

The server arrived with their coffees and dessert, and Sameer returned to the table. Naina was still annoyed at Sameer about his earlier comments about her dressing, and did not speak to him. She was thinking to herself, how different the two men were though they were so closely related.

Nanaji and Sameer made some small talk. Naina quickly finished her dessert and stood up bidding them both a good night. As she was about to turn away, she spoke "Nanaji, it is alright if I don't wear this SKP uniform on this trip? I am not used to wearing a saree. It's hard to move around and I find it uncomfortable." Nanaji agreed immediately "Of course, wear whatever you find comfortable." She thanked him and left.

Nanaji looked at her walking away thinking that it was evident that life had not been a bed of roses for her or her family, and yet she had not let it harden her. There was a softness, an innocence and a joyous aura to her. He wondered with a slight sense of premonition, just how long would it last? He silently prayed to God to watch over her.

Turning to Sameer, he muttered "Good, you asked her to join us for dinner. She is a lovely girl. I enjoyed talking to her and look forward to getting to know her better."

Sameer nodded at his grandfather and went on to quietly finish his coffee. He was annoyed at himself, Way to go mate... You just had to make her uncomfortable with your comments about her choice of clothes and imply that since she had chosen to reveal so much of herself, she should not complain about the attention it attracted! And he was exasperated at her too, So, its ok for her to lecture me on inappropriate behaviour, but she can't tell me directly that it was not her choice but the uniform she was required to wear?! 

* * *

Naina endeavoured to take a small stroll in the palace garden after the talking to Shambhu kaka. But finding the garden unnervingly quiet and isolated, she quickly abandoned the plan and returned to her room.

She had been allocated a room on the first floor, same as the Maheshwaris. Their rooms were just separated by a small hallway. Being in a rush to find some study material about the palace and surrounding areas, she hadn't given it a thought earlier in the day. She now wondered, if Nanaji had requested for her to be put in a room where he could watch out for her. She felt extreme gratitude towards him after witnessing his protective instinct during the little talk on the terrace. She felt sure, had her Nanaji been alive, he would have behaved just the same.

She turned her attention to the room. It was airy with a large window overlooking part of the garden and the swimming pool located a little further up. The walls were painted in a very pale pink and a beautiful painting of Krishna surrounded by multiple Gopis hung on one of them. A crystal chandelier hung in the middle. All the furniture was wooden and made in a decorative style. An antique rosewood cupboard and dressing table set lined one wall and the stool in front of the dressing table had a black velvet cushion on it. There was a door leading to an ensuite bathroom on the other side. In the middle of the room, stood a four-poster canopy bed adorned with semi-transparent muslin curtains. The bed linen was white with a luxurious satin finish. An assortment of pillows in various shapes and sizes were set against the headboard.

Naina's eyes sparkled taking in the opulent surroundings. She had never seen anything like this before! She looked at the polyester saree she was wearing and thought that if it had been a heavy silk embroidered with gold thread, she would have felt like a princess from the previous century. Closing her eyes, she gaily twirled a couple of times imagining herself as a princess. And then giggling at herself, she went about unpacking her small bag and putting things away in the cupboard.

The unpacking took less than ten minutes, after which she headed for a shower to wash away the sticky summer feeling off her skin. Some twenty minutes later, she returned to the room dressed in a comfortable white cotton shalwar-kameez.

As she turned off the lights and got ready for bed, the sound of some water splashing registered and she moved to the window curiously.

A quick scan of the outside area revealed that someone was using the swimming pool. The area around the pool was lit by a few lamps. She stood at the window, wondering who had fancied a swim at that time of the night. A single bobbing head in the water established was there was just one person in the pool. Maybe some employee here was in the habit of a nightly swim. Could it be Balwant? She recalled him mentioning that he lived on the estate with his family, but his family was currently away visiting his wife's parents as the schools were closed for the summer break.

Lost in these musings, she was at the window for a while, when suddenly the swimmer exited the pool. Naina froze recognising it was Sameer. He was dressed in just a pair of swimming trunks. He shook his head briskly sending water droplets flying from his hair and then tapped his head to one side probably trying to get rid of the water from one of his ears.

He stood there; his head slightly tilted back, seemingly enjoying the cool breeze on his wet body. Suddenly his eyes jerked back towards the palace, as if he has become aware of being watched.

Naina gasped loudly thinking she had been caught and instinctively took a step back into the room, yet her eyes stayed focussed on him. She tried to think how she would explain her behaviour, but then he turned away and casually strolled towards a room next to the pool. She let out a breath realising that it was rather unlikely that he had spotted her considering her room was unlit. A tiny voice in her head mocked her, So, who is shamelessly checking-out whom now?!

She pulled down the curtain on her window, gulped some water, and got into the bed.

The new place and the unease of being so far away from her family, left her tossing for quite some time. And though she did not freely admit it, even to herself, her inability to quickly drift off to sleep that night, also had something to do with the image of the gorgeous guy in the bathing suit, who was just a few yards away!

(That's it for today. Hope you enjoyed this part, and do share your thoughts. How are you finding the pace of the story so far?

Also, 'The Reluctant Groom and His Accidental Bride' had been shortlisted for the final round of the Choice Awards 2019 under the Others Category! Thank you all for your love and votes :)

Lots of love, May)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85.4K 3.5K 78
Top hash tags #1 - fictional character #3- Sizzling #3- celebrity #3- fictional characters #4- couple Dear Readers, Before you embark on the journey...
57.1K 9.1K 74
One believes in true love, the type when your heart misses a beat at a mere glance... he is waiting for someone with whom he falls in love at first s...
38.1K 3.3K 30
"If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were." ♡ "I saw this girl at the age of 13...
Follies Of The Past By May

Historical Fiction

30.1K 2.5K 41
Irrespective of what the characters involved want, some stories are just meant to be! This is such a story, from times long gone. Vayu Pratap Singh...