The Flute Player️ | βœ“

By CalmGuy9

From your hand, anything can be stolen. From your destiny, nothing. β€’ β€’ β€’ With a complexion darker than the... More

author's note
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen

chapter one

853 100 137
By CalmGuy9

Those who have knowledge of Dharma, say that Truth is the highest dharma.

"Is this the one?"

Standing on his toes, body pressed against a tree and right arm stretched towards a mango, Inder asked his sister.

She shook her head, her pigtails flailing in the air and, pointed a finger towards the fruit above it.

His gaze followed her finger, staring at the fruit in doubt. It was out of his reach, even if he were to climb the tree.

The only way it was possible if there was a second person. He could climb up on their shoulders, if they allowed. Unfortunately, there was no one around except for the two.

Throwing stones wasn't an option either since there was a bird nest resting close to the fruit.

"Do you really want that one, Rama?"

She nodded, her chubby cheeks turning reddish pink from all the excitement. There was a twinkle in her eyes. Inder gulped, turning back towards the mango and stared at it, hoping it would fall off on its own.

"May I help you?"

A sweet and gentle voice asked. The two children turned around to find a youth smiling pleasantly at them.

He was dressed in white and yellow garments that contrasted well against his nightly dark complexion. His curls fluttered in the breeze, falling loosely on his forehead. His aura was full of peace and calm, and tints of mischief.

Leading him to the tree, Rama pointed a finger to the same mango. Her brother, knowing well that the youth would be confused, turned her actions into words.

"Bhaiya, could you get that mango down for us?"

He pointed towards the fruit. The older one stared at it for a few moments holding his chin and then, nodded with a smile.

Going on his toes, the youth soon realised that the fruit was out of his reach as well. He chuckled softly at destiny's game against him.

"Inder, come here."

He called, kneeling beside the tree. Inder climbed on his shoulders and now, the fruit was at an easy reach. Plucking the fruit, he tossed it towards his sister.

Dusting his trousers, Inder ran to his sister and stared at it in awe. They looked at each other, excitement clear in their eyes, and nodded.

Rama, holding the mango tightly, ran towards the basket hidden under a tree at a distance. Placing the mango in the basket, she picked up the largest one.

"Bhaiya - "

Inder paused. Rama dropped the mango. Their jaws open in surprise.

The youth had disappeared. Just the way he had appeared.

Mysteriously.

• • •

"Di, Abhi is crying."

Urmilla turned on the bed, covering her ears with the pillow. Her little nephew, Abhiram, was crying loudly in his small bed.

"Di!"

Urmilla whined. Getting no response from her sister, she pulled off her blanket and walked towards the child, taking him in her arms.

"Why is my Ram crying?"

Urmilla cradled him in her arms, sleep resting on her eyelids. Abhiram stopped crying and smiled, pulling her hair hard.

"Ow! Bad boy."

She cried in pain, hitting the back of his hand gently. Abhi stared at his hand, that was turning red, in shock. Then, he stared at Urmilla. She watched as his eyes turned moist, panic attacking her immediately.

"No. No, Abhiram is a good boy. Don't cry!"

She pleaded, but to no avail. Abhiram let out a loud wail right as Radha entered the room. Her hands were pressed against her ears.

"Urmilla!" Radha scolded, taking her son in her arms and pat his back. "Di, he started it." She whined. Radha could only shake her head in disbelief, rocking him in her arms.

"I'll take him out. You should get ready."

"Yes ma'am!" She yawned, falling back on the bed. Annoyed, Radha tossed a wet towel at Urmilla, making her shriek loudly and sit up on the bed.

"Now that you're up," Radha pointed towards the washroom, "clean up."

"I hate you, Di!" She mumbled, marching towards the bathroom.

"And you, Mr. Abhiram." She turned towards her son, who looked like a thief caught red-handed. "I know you're the one who started it." She poked his nose. His hands immediately rubbed the spot. "Don't bother your aunt, or else you'll be punished too. By eating flavoured cerelac."

"Yack!" He babbled, shaking his head, as if he understood everything told to him. "Yes. It tastes yuck, and you," she poked his nose again, carrying him to the terrace, "will have to eat it if you keep troubling Urmilla aunty."

It was a morning of hustle, the air cold and calm. Radha took a deep breathe, Abhiram's eyes glowing from the changing colours of the sky. He threw his hands up in the air, towards the floating clouds, giggling and babbling and clapping out his excitement.

Their ears picked up a melody. A soft and gentle tone that calmed them down to their soul. Abhiram rest his head on his mother's shoulder, his eyes closing from the peace the tune provided. Radha sat down on a chair, her head against the wall, and her eyes fixed on the floating clouds.

"Breakfast's ready!" Urmilla's loud voice broke their trance. Abhiram's eyes snapped open, his little palms curling into a fist in annoyance.

Radha yawned on her way down, and placed him on his chair. Urmilla put down a plate of food for Abhiram. He pout, turning away.

"His Highness is angry today." Urmilla giggled, poking his cheek.

"Nah." He hit her hand. She poked his cheek, and he hit her hand again.

"I'll get going now." Radha interrupted their play, "Take care of the house, and yourself. And come home directly from the Mandir."

I still wonder why he's worshipped, even after all the troubles he puts everyone through; She sighed, tying her hair into a braid. Collecting her lunch basket, she left for school.

"Madhav, what are your plans for my sister?" Urmilla whispered, watching her sister's disappearing figure with a look of worry.

• • •

"Ready to go, Abhi?" Urmilla smiled, coming his hair. Abhiram beamed, clapping his hands in happiness. Pulling his cheeks gently, she placed him on the chair beside the main door. Locking it, she picked him up in her arms, tucking the key in his pant pocket. "Don't loose the key, okay?"

"If you do, Didi will scold us. You know how strict she is, right." They shuddered, remember the times they had been scolded by Radha.

Their journey to temple was silent and peaceful. Abhiram couldn't take his eyes off the birds soaring high in the sky. A playful sparkle glimmered in his eyes as he watched them curiously.

As they walked along, Abhiram's excitement and fidgeting caused the key to fall from his pocket. Neither of them noticed the fallen key.

Urmilla's smile disappeared when she had to pass through a crowd of people. Their stares, whispers, smiles, giggles; it scared her to the bone. Holding Abhiram tightly, she took swift steps towards the temple.

"It's her right?" She heard a whisper.

"Is he really his son?" Another voiced. "Did Radha move on already?"

"Who knows? People are unpredictable. They do anything for their happiness. And also, I've seen her sister ... "

Urmilla grit her teeth tightly, running down the path. She gasped for air as soon as she stepped into the premises of the temple.

She felt at peace once again.

• • •

Standing in front of Lord Krishna, Urmilla prayed. 'Bhagwan, is there no end to our problems? First Jiju, and now Di. Please, help us.'

"May your prayers be fulfilled." The priest said, handing her an apple.

"Such a big prasad, Pandit ji?" She asked looking at the apple with a smile.

"I'm not one to choose what is given out. He chooses everything." The priest chuckled, raising his hands towards the Murti.

"Ram, let's go." She said, bending to pick him from the ground. But he wasn't there.

She started panicking. "Ram, where are you?" She started searching for him everywhere.

"Have you seen a little boy here? He is wearing an orange top and grey pants." She asked the few kids that were playing near by.

Someone would have taken him off when I was praying. But who? And why?

With eyes full of tears, and a heart drenched in exhaustion, she turned towards Krishna.

"Madhav, why are you doing this? First didi and now chotu. What crime have we committed? Answer me!" She screamed, breaking down to tears.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 221 19
We are all familiar with the five thousand-year-old love story of the greatest lovers of the ages, RadhaKrishna. This is my take on what would be the...
78.8K 4.8K 32
"You're a sin You're a monster You don't deserve to live Don't come to my house You're a unlucky charm" She heard all these words in her life so many...
293 36 5
Pleased, the sages ask a young Yuthika to ask for a wish she would want to fulfill. While answering, she accidentally reveals her not-so-secret desir...