chapter twelve

The soul migrates from body to body. Weapons cannot cleave it, nor fire burn it, nor water drench it, nor air dry it.

 Weapons cannot cleave it, nor fire burn it, nor water drench it, nor air dry it

"Radhika!" Keshav burst into the room, excitement clearly visible on his face.

"Were you able to find something about her?"

"Yes." He beamed, holding up a photograph. "Her name is Radha. She lives with her younger sister, Urmilla and Janav's nephew, Abhiram."

"Just look at his luck. He doesn't even remember his own wife." Radhika sighed.

"It's fine Radhika. Just a few more months, the doctor said, didn't he. Janav will remember everything soon."

"I wish it were to happen soon. Janav is missing out alot from his son's life."

"Son? I have a son. Am I a father as well?" Janav spoke, standing on the stairs. The loud bang of the door, at Keshav's entry, had woken him up.

"We told you about him. Abhiram, your nephew."

"Do you have a picture of them? Keshav, I'm sure you have a picture of them. Show it to me." Janav ran his way down the stairs.

"Relax Janav. I'll give you the photograph."

"Relax? I cannot relax Keshav. I'm married. I have a nephew to care for, yet I don't remember anything about them. I don't know how my wife must be living with my child. Do you not know how cruel the world is towards such woman?" Janav screamed, tears rolling down his cheeks.

"If only...I wasn't a police officer. If only I hadn't taken up the mission of capturing the bandits. If it wasn't for that accident...it was all my damn fault! I'm such a bad father, a bad husband. I have ruined many lives. I don't dese -- "

Radhika slapped him hard. "Not another word, Janav." He looked up at her, holding his cheek where he had just been slapped.

"Why do you think it's your fault? What is bound to happen will happen, we cannot sit and cry over it. It's not in our hands." She took a deep breath. "You are not the Janav I know. The Janav I knew was strong. He trusted Kanha. He was the one who stood by me when my family wasn't ready to get me married to Keshav. When I had given up all hope he was the one who told me everything will end out well."

Janav smiled at her before collapsing to the ground.

"Radhika, looks like your slap hurt his brain." Keshav joked and got a glare from her in return.

"Call the doctor. This is no time to joke around Keshav." Radhika said sternly, after they placed him in the sofa.

Keshav nodded.

• • •

"Di, are you okay?" Urmilla asked, watching as Radha exited the temple room.

Radha smiled. "Yes Urmilla. Why do you ask?"

"Didi, you said you will not step into the temple room, then how?"

"Urmilla, I was young and wrong at that time. I hadn't tested patience completely and so I've decided to wait for Janav to return with complete patience. Isn't it, Madhav?" She looked at him and he gave her a smile.

"Abhi, come here. I'll show you your father's photo." Radha called him and he ran towards her, pulling himself up on the sofa.

"This is your father, Janav. He is a police officer." Abhiram looked at her curiously. "He beats bad people and saves good people."

"Madhav, what did you say to Di? All these months she refused to even hear Jiju's name and now she is telling Ram about his father."

Madhav laughed. "Urmilla why do you think I did something? I simply show someone the path, walking on it is their choice."

"Aren't you getting late, Radha? The principal of the school cannot be late for school." He said.

"Ram I will be back in the afternoon. Eat on time and don't trouble Urmilla. Be a good boy!"

The child nodded and Radha kissed his forehead, making him smile.

"Urmilla eat on time and study well. Don't trouble Madhav too much."

"But Radha if it isn't those who love me who trouble me, who will?"

"Oh Madhav!" Radha laughed, "You and your talks."

"Today is indeed a strange day, Urmilla." Urmilla told herself, rubbing her eyes in astonishment.

"Radha, just a second."

"Yes Madhav?"

"Give everyone a half day today. I have a bad feeling about today."

"Don't worry, Madhav. Kanha will protect us from all harm."

He nodded and Radha went her way.

In the hall, Abhiram sat on the chair, his parents picture on his lap. He tapped Janav's cheek continuously with his finger. "Papa." He repeated with a giggle.

Madhav looked back inside. "Today everything will start to fall in place."

Radha skipped her way to school, ignoring the surprised looks and whispers of people around her. She felt like she was given a new life. A life where she was testing her patience to the fullest.

The sun rose to the highest position of the day in the sky and tragedy struck!

Some students were using the computers in the library when the fuse blew off. Before the second blow off, a student turned on another computer.

The poor quality wires burnt under the heat of the flowing current and in a few minutes, sparks flew and the flames rose.

The school was on fire!