chapter thirteen

He who has no attachments can really Love others, for his love is pure and divine.

The dark smoke rose into the sky, mixing with the black clouds of rain. Everyone inside the building screamed and the onlookers watched, clueless and numb to react.

The weak wiring system of the school couldn't take the load and burnt into flames. The entire school burnt and the students, with their teachers, escaped with minor injuries.

Radha looked around. She had no time to snap at the management head. She had to check if the students were safe and outside. She noticed a student running back into the fire and leapt upto him, holding him by his shoulders.

"Ma'am!" A student cried, "My friend, Karan, is stuck inside. He cannot walk without help. I need to go and save him."

"You cannot go inside. It is dangerous. Let me go."

Radha turned to walk into the fire, when she saw a glimpse of him - the dark skinned charmer of all hearts, walking through the flames. The jewels which adorned his body, shone brightly, blinding everyone.

"Don't worry Radha! I won't let anything happen to him." Radha heard a familiar yet grown up voice. The flames parted and he walked through the path lined by them.

"If only it would rain." Someone cried and as a reply, the skies opened up, pouring down over the entire village.

Minutes later, the fire brigade arrived.

"Is everyone safe?"

"Just one student stuck inside."

One man in the team, immediately leaped into the fire to save the student.

He walked out, holding Karan, sleeping peacefully in his arms. In his hands, he held a flute and peacock feather.

The flute was not a foreign object for Radha. She knew who it belonged to. She knew who played it and she wished it wasn't him. She hoped it wasn't Madhav who walked into the flames.

Her hopes shattered when she walked home and saw Urmilla with a sleeping Abhiram. Her eyes searched for him.

"Where is Madhav?"

"Didi, he went to pick you up from your school. Didn't you meet him?"

Radha sat down in fear. It was him. It was Madhav who had gone into the fire and not returned. She regretted not listening to him.

"Just because of me, we lost you Madhav. Oh Kanha, why did you take such a pure soul away from the world?" She cried.

Word spread around the village. Everyone who knew Madhav grieved. Their hearts were shattered and they had only one question - why did Kanha take him back? If only they knew his real identity. But there came their way, a person who knew the truth.

In the evening, people sat in the temple, grieving his departure, when he arrived.

"Narayan! Narayan! Why are you all sad?" He asked, a smile on his lips.

"Madhav bhaiya left us." Inder sobbed.

He frowned, "Left? Then, he will be back soon. Why stay sad over it?"

"You don't understand. He left us forever. He died."

The man let out a loud laugh.

"Why are you laughing?" Somu asked, irritated.

"How can the one who created the universe perish? He, within whom resides all the souls, cannot be killed by mere weapons created by earthly elements."

"You seem to be affected by his talks. That's why you talk like bhaiya."

"I don't think you understand what I say. Do you want to meet him?"

They all looked at him and nodded eagerly.

He pointed towards a hill, close to the temple and they saw a figure sitting under a tree, holding a flute in their hand.

"Why do you grieve my death? I cannot die so easily, but the mortal body I choose to complete my task dies easily." He smiled.

"Don't leave us and go."

"When have I left you and gone? I reside in everyone and everything. Even the air you breathe in has me. There is not a second when I have left you alone."

"Madhav, stay with us. Please."

"Why do you tell me to stay, priye? I live in your hearts, in your thoughts, in your actions. I live everywhere, then why must I stay when I have never left?" He smiled. In a matter of seconds disappeared in front of their eyes.

The man who showed them the way to Madhav also disappeared. It seemed like a dream for all. A dream seen with open eyes. A dream which takes place without sleep.

A few months later, Janav returned back, with his memory. He embraced his family which consisted of Radha, Urmilla and Abhiram. He introduced them to Radhika and Keshav as well.

Everything ended on a positive note.

Madhav fulfilled his duty.

He hadn't come to make Janav and Radha reconcile. He had come to bear her safely through her troubles. He had come to teach her about the importance of trust, patience and love. He had come to tell her that everything happens for a reason and sometimes we don't need to know the reason.