chapter eight

A Veena cannot exist without its strings. A chariot cannot exist without its wheels. Without her husband a woman can never live happily even though she has a hundred sons.

 Without her husband a woman can never live happily even though she has a hundred sons

Eight months ago,

"Janav!" Radha called running towards him. Janav, who was busy checking the register, looked up at her.

"Have you heard the news?" She asked, panting.

"What news, Radha?"

"I'm getting married." She stated in one go, leaving him confused. He gave her a glass of water. She gulped it all down.

"Breath and then, tell me slowly. What is the news?"

Radha beamed. "I'm getting married!"

There was a glow on her face, making his heart ache. "Who,who is the groom?" He asked slowly, trying to accept the new reality.

"You know him." She teased.

"I do?" Janav asked, flabbergasted.

"Yes."

"Who is it?"

"Think."

"Tell me, Radha." Janav whined, thinking for a while.

"He is..." Radha drawled, much to his dismay. "Sub-inspector, Janav Mayur."

"Oh," he nodded. Radha stifled a giggle, watching as the realisation dawned late upon him. "Wait, what? Me? Me!"

"Yes," she grinned. "Unless there's another sub-inspector with the same name." She teased, sticking her tongue out at him. Janav was beyond surprised.

"I'm getting..." Swallowing his words, Janav hugged Radha tightly and lifted her off the ground. "When did this happen?" He asked, putting her down.

"Three days ago. Your far away uncle came and told me that your late bhaiya-bhabhi always wanted to get us married." Radha beamed, reciprocating his happiness.

"But." She looked at him and took a step back.

"But, what?"

"Will you let me work after marriage and let Urmilla study?" Radha asked, unsure of his choice.

Radha and Urmilla's parents died of natural causes. At that time, Radha was only twenty, and Urmilla was merely fourteen. Radha held herself for Urmilla and tried to go back to the life they lived. She worked multiple jobs to pay off her college fees, Urmilla's school fees and also the debt their parents left behind.