chapter one

Those who have knowledge of Dharma, say that Truth is the highest dharma.

"Is this the one?"

Standing on his toes, body pressed against a tree and right arm stretched towards a mango, Inder asked his sister.

She shook her head, her pigtails flailing in the air and, pointed a finger towards the fruit above it.

His gaze followed her finger, staring at the fruit in doubt. It was out of his reach, even if he were to climb the tree.

The only way it was possible if there was a second person. He could climb up on their shoulders, if they allowed. Unfortunately, there was no one around except for the two.

Throwing stones wasn't an option either since there was a bird nest resting close to the fruit.

"Do you really want that one, Rama?"

She nodded, her chubby cheeks turning reddish pink from all the excitement. There was a twinkle in her eyes. Inder gulped, turning back towards the mango and stared at it, hoping it would fall off on its own.

"May I help you?"

A sweet and gentle voice asked. The two children turned around to find a youth smiling pleasantly at them.

He was dressed in white and yellow garments that contrasted well against his nightly dark complexion. His curls fluttered in the breeze, falling loosely on his forehead. His aura was full of peace and calm, and tints of mischief.

Leading him to the tree, Rama pointed a finger to the same mango. Her brother, knowing well that the youth would be confused, turned her actions into words.

"Bhaiya, could you get that mango down for us?"

He pointed towards the fruit. The older one stared at it for a few moments holding his chin and then, nodded with a smile.

Going on his toes, the youth soon realised that the fruit was out of his reach as well. He chuckled softly at destiny's game against him.

"Inder, come here."

He called, kneeling beside the tree. Inder climbed on his shoulders and now, the fruit was at an easy reach. Plucking the fruit, he tossed it towards his sister.

Dusting his trousers, Inder ran to his sister and stared at it in awe. They looked at each other, excitement clear in their eyes, and nodded.

Rama, holding the mango tightly, ran towards the basket hidden under a tree at a distance. Placing the mango in the basket, she picked up the largest one.