chapter seven

The efforts of one who is unenthusiastic, weak and immersed in sorrow cannot bring out any good and he comes to grief.

Everyone focused their mind, ears and senses on the captivating notes of the flute which were flowing in the air. They stopped all their work and moved outside, to the terrace or to the window to hear the notes clearly. The butterflies sat on the flowers, without sucking the nectar for the tunes of the flute was sweeter than honey. The birds perched on the branches, chirping gleefully, forgetting their enmity and duties.

Life had come to a beautiful standstill.

'Radha! Come fast or else we will miss the bus.' A man cried out and they ran to the bus stand.

'The bus hasn't come yet. We didn't have to run so fast.' Radha panted, wiping the sweat of her forehead. The bus stand was empty and silent, except for them.

'I know, I know. But I wanted to spend some time with you.' He said, holding her hand and locking his fingers with hers. A blush crept up her cheeks. He kissed her knuckles, his beard tickling her hand and she grew even more red.

'You enjoy teasing me, don't you?' Radha asked, pulling her hand away and turned her face away from him.

'Well, can't I tease my wife?' He smirked, coming closer and hugging her. He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her close, her back against his chest.

'I love you, Radha.' He whispered.

'I love you, Janav.' She replied with a blush.

Radha's eyes fluttered open and she stared at the ceiling of her room. "I miss you, Janav." She whispered, a few stray tears making their way down her cheeks. She shut her eyes, tears flowing continuously. "Why did you leave me if you loved me? What do I tell Abhiram about his father in future?"

She sighed, calming her mind and thoughts. Suddenly, she sat up straight and looked at her surroundings - Urmilla was sleeping beside her and Abhiram was on his bed. She looked out of the window, it was nearly evening.

"Weren't we on the terrace?" Radha asked herself, getting down from the bed. She walked outside, towards the entrance and found Madhav seated on the stairs, with a bowl of Kheer.

"When did you come back?" Radha asked, sitting on the chair beside him. She felt better after sleeping and that dream definitely relaxed her mind.

"I was always here. Where did I go?" He replied, eating a handful of the sweet.

"Ofcourse! You can never give straight answers, can you?" She retorted.