Emerald Seas

By Goldilockesss

What is the real truth about Cutler Beckett's hate for Jack Sparrow, and what is the mark Jack left on Cutler... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32

Chapter 11

637 18 12
By Goldilockesss

The dinner had ended and the guests were enjoying music played by one of the musicians at the piano. People were engaged in conversations and some were dancing to the music. Kate being slightly shorter than Cutler was resting her head on his shoulder when he had asked her to dance moments earlier. The music was playing a slow song. She was happy not to hide their feelings any longer. Kate lifted her head and their eyes met again once the dance ended.

They made their way to Rebecca at the other side of the room who stood by the piano and was singing along with the music. It wasn't the purest voice they had ever heard, but Kate smiled at Rebecca when she had winked at her while singing. Her husband, Admiral Thomas was watching her proudly. Kate had to grin when she saw Cutler rolling his eyes.

'William, I believe your wife has delighted us long enough. Perhaps some other ladies would like to have a turn?' Jack had entered the conversation, probably not enjoying her singing like everyone else except her husband. Jack was looking at Rebecca standing next to the piano his eyes moved to Admiral Thomas who seemed offended. Kate had to turn around to not show her face cracking up on Jack being so brutally honest, her eyes meeting Cutler having the same grin on his face. Jack caught Kate's amused face.

'Perhaps Miss Florence would like a turn?' Kate's sight shifted to Jack as he spoke, her concerned eyes tried to beg him not to ask. But Jack's serious face, which still contained a natural grin, kept looking at her.

'Oh no I don't.. sing' Kate stumbled upon her words.

'That is disappointing. Maybe you can make it up to me by accepting a dance?' Jack spoke without shame and looked down at Cutler. Cutler moved his eyes to Jack when he spoke, his face turning strict. Kate took Cutler's arm to ensure him it was alright.

'Well, I think that's the least we can do to thank Captain Sparrow for saving your life' Cutler spoke with a sarcastic tone in his voice, looking from Jack to Kate. Her cheeks colored when he mentioned it, remembering she had not yet told him. Jack raised his hand and Kate took it. When moving to the dance floor she looked back at Cutler from over her shoulder. Jack moved in front of her taking her hand with his and her waist with his other hand. Kate had to look up at him, he was quite taller than she was. When the music started they moved into dance.

'I didn't think you'd dance Captain Sparrow' Kate was surprised he had asked her. Jack looked down at her, by the look on his face he seemed to be amused.

'Well, usually I don't, but I need some excuse to get to know the woman I've been saving earlier' when Jack spoke Kate's eyes staring over his shoulder shifted to his. Kate wasn't sure why he seemed so interested in getting to know her, but remembering Rebecca she was sure he was a ladies man, and he didn't seem to be bothered by women that were 'taken'.

'What does a woman like you see in a man like Lord Beckett?' Kate turned her eyes on Cutler in the distance and then back at Jack. That was bold to ask.

'What kind of "woman" do you suppose I am?' Kate decided to return his ridiculous question.

'Well, I think you are not interested in his wealth. I suppose you have enough of this' when Jack spoke the last words of his sentence he took a piece of the diamond necklace she was wearing and raised it in his fingers.

'Do you not believe in love, Captain Sparrow? What a shame' Kate said sarcastically and turned her head while still dancing so that Jack had to let go of almost touching her neck.

'Not yet' Jack had moved Kate out of his grip and made her twirl around holding her hand above her head. Improvising a part into the original dance she had known since she was a little girl.

'I'm not sure that twirl was supposed to be in there' Kate saw some people watching them, but Jack didn't seem to mind standing out. Kate couldn't help a chuckle but the smile on her face soon disappeared when Jack had turned her around and pulled her full body to him, their chests clashing together, his arm tightly around her waist. Jack's face was inches apart, he moved his head slightly to the side. Kate smelled the alcohol that he had consumed earlier this evening when he spoke.

'I guess I'll need a little convincing' Jack spoke slowly. Just before the dance ended Kate had stopped moving, not participating in the few last movements before the music ended. She looked frozen, her now strict eyes piercing into his looking up at his face occupying a grin. Jack had come to a halt as well. Kate loosened from Jack still holding her waist. Without saying a word or without bowing down like the other couples did she turned around and walked away into Cutler's direction who was looking at her while Admiral Thomas was talking to him. Cutler moved around Admiral Thomas ignoring him still continuing his story, leaving him to himself.

'Are you alright?' Cutler looked at her worried but Kate returned a soft smile.

'I'm fine' she lied, in the corners of her eyes she saw Jack leaving the dance floor. Cutler looked at him as well and her eyes quickly moved away from him.

After half an hour the music stopped. Cutler turned to Kate away from the conversation they were having with some people.

'Shall we return to my office?' Cutler spoke as the evening was coming to an end and she nodded. Talking Cutler's arm they moved to the door entering the hallway.

'I'll be with you in just a moment' Cutler signed he needed to excuse them before leaving and walked over to some of his men. Kate decided to walk along the hallway into the direction of his office to meet him there. The breeze of the night blowing through the open windows of the corridor was a pleasant feeling on her skin as the heat of the day had still consumed the dining room all night. As soon as Kate relieved her lungs of a large breath she suddenly felt a strong hand taking her arm, moving her into the inlet of the large window. It was Jack's face that lit up in one of the lanterns in the hallway in front of her. The permanent grin on his face had disappeared.

'I didn't mean to frighten you back there Missy. I'm just not very good with these formal situations' his words seemed honest, but as always he stumbled upon them.

'It's alright Captain Sparrow' Kate didn't know what to say but was happy to hear he was explaining his behavior.

'Please, call me Jack' his dark brown eyes stared at her, and Kate nodded softly.

'Goodnight Jack' Kate slightly curtseyed in front of him and left the inlet of the window, pursuing her way to the office, but she noticed Cutler passed them when she was just about to leave. His face looked surprised as he noticed them in between the tight space of the window's inlet between the heavy bordeaux curtains.

'Have a nice evening Milady, Milord' Jack had noticed Cutler and bowed before he left in the dark hallway.

Cutler walked to the coat rack and removed his coat. Kate sat down in front of the fireplace that was lit just some minutes ago. The heat of the fire felt pleasant on the skin, the evening was once again rather cold.

'I see you got to know Captain Sparrow this evening?' Cutler moved to the table with the tray of liquor on it and started to pour two glasses of brandy. He sat down next to her on the sofa and offered her a glass. Kate took one of them and moved the glass between her hands, staring into the fire. Cutler had finished his brandy in one gulp and when placing the glass on the table his hand reached for the hand on her lap. Kate took a sip from the glass and instantly felt the burning sensation in her throat.

'Yes, I did. I'm sorry I haven't told you about our meeting before' her eyes moved away from the fire and watched him fill his own empty glass again.

'Well, I am happy he was there at the right moment. I know the security that evening was overruled by those pirates but I wasn't aware of you being in danger' Cutler spoke caring.

'It is alright Cutler. After all, nothing happened to me' Kate understood his concern.

'Captain Sparrow is doing a wonderful job at the Company. I have promoted him just recently. I was planning on granting him a ship now that he is Captain. But knowing he saved you that night I will speed up the progress' Cutler moved the glass to his lips and finished it again. Kate smiled and moved her body towards Cutler, leaning against his chest. His arms moved around her waist and he held her in silence.

There was a knock on the door, Cutler moved from the couch and opened the door. It was Mercer holding some documents.

'I am sorry to interrupt Milord' Kate watched Cutler step aside so he could enter. Mercer must have learned from last time, Kate smiled softly at the thought of that, hiding in the soft comfortable couch. Mercer kindly nodded his head in her direction, even though his face still looked dark, as always.

'There has been some disturbing news from out of town' Mercer moved his way to Cutler's desk where Cutler had sat down in his large armchair, he was watching the documents Mercer had handed him, holding the parchment into the light of the lantern.

'Three bodies have been found in different places around town' Mercer's gloved finger went by some of the lines of the documents standing next to Cutler reading them.

'Together with the murder at the docks at night from earlier this week that makes four bodies in one week' as Mercer spoke Cutler's eyes ended the last lines of the documents, when Cutler finished he moved them down on the surface of his desk, he was staring into the darkness. He seemed in deep thoughts, his eyes concerned.

'There is a killer on the loose, Sir. We are quite sure these fugitives from justice have to be the few pirates that got away. It seems like they target very specific victims' as Mercer spoke Kate had raised from her place on the couch, with her glass still between her hands she slowly moved to the other side of the office, looking at Mercer and Cutler in concern. As she moved closer now standing at the other side of the desk where the men had both moved their sight on her. Cutler's eyes spoke worry.

'The four bodies that were found were all young women, some taken from their very own homes' as Mercer spoke Cutler had abruptly raised himself from his chair, his eyes staring at Kate.

Cutler turned his sight on Mercer and without saying a word he moved Mercer to the balcony. Kate could hear them mumbling to one another but couldn't make out what they were speaking of. She had lowered herself into the chair across from Cutler's desk chair and raised the glass to her lips. This was horrible news, she felt helpless not being able to do something. These murderers had to be caught before they'd do any more damage.

'How is it they haven't been caught yet?' Cutler hissed into Mercer's direction, his eyes focused on the dark sea in the distance.

'The strange thing is that some of these ladies were taken from households that were heavily guarded, these criminals know what they are doing. The victims have been women from high class, one of them the daughter of a Lord' Mercer stopped for a moment watching Cutler staring into the darkness of the night.

'The strange thing is, reported to me only moments ago, is that all women had an appearance very much alike. It is clear that it is one very specific person they are looking for, Sir' Mercer spoke. Cutler's sight moved away from the sea and shifted to Mercer's dark eyes.

'Katherina..' Cutler whispered like he was afraid to say it out loud.

'Unfortunately, you're right Sir, the chances of Miss Florence being a target are very high' Mercer spoke his words carefully like he was afraid of bringing the bad news, but his face showed the forever coldness. Cutler's sight moved to Kate who was giving them their privacy.

'We need to protect her at all cost, day and night. I will see to it she will not leave my side. You do what you are good at and find these criminals' Cutler's strict faced focused on Mercer again.

'Yes Sir' Mercer nodded his head slightly.

'You're dismissed' Cutler's harsh voice spoke and Mercer left the room, bidding Kate a good night before leaving.

Cutler's concerned face moved into the light of the office again. Kate stood straight from her chair. Once Cutler was standing before her his hands took hers.

'Even though I don't want to scare you I want to be honest with you' Kate's questioning look watched him choosing his words carefully.

'Some of the pirates attacking Nassau are still out there. We don't know why and what their motives are, but it seems like they are after you' when Cutler spoke Kate's expression hardly showed any fear like he would have expected it to show.

'Why me?' her soft voice too didn't show any anxiety, it was calm and almost gave away a spark of bravery.

'I figure they found you as a way to get to me' Cutler knew it was an act of revenge. For a moment he felt fear run through his veins, he knew now that Kate was by his side he was much more vulnerable.

'I want you guarded, from now on. All day, all night' as Cutler spoke his worry Kate turned her head to the balcony. She never expected herself to be a target, not like this, but it was clear now that their relationship was in the open Kate had indeed become one. They needed to be on guard.

Goosebumps covered her pale skin, not sure whether it was from the cold breeze from outside or the fact Cutler squeezed her hands softly to ensure her she was safe with him.

'I want to stay at your side at all times, of course when possible' Cutler spoke quickly.

'At your side at all times. So I think that requires us sleeping in the same room?' as Kate spoke the corners of her mouth moved up slightly, it was a soft smile that removed the tension inside the room. Cutler's face and ears turned somewhat reddish.

'I know it isn't how it usually goes and it requires a couple to be married to share a sleeping place.. but I will not take the risk of losing you again.. Kate' Cutler mumbled underneath his breath the last part of his sentence. Kate moved her fingers to his lips, to ensure him it was alright and that he didn't need to justify himself.

'Nothing ever goes "normally" with us, now does it?' Kate whispered holding back a grin but failing to do so.

'But that's what makes it so special' Kate quickly continued. The corners of Cutler's mouth turned upward.

'Besides, we already have slept more than once in the same room. So no one can blame us now can they?' Kate whispered and took her fingers to his lips and touched its skin with the tips softly. Remembering the time they had to spend sleeping on the cold harsh floor in the brig on the pirate ship. Even though it had been rough times, Kate had enjoyed his company at night. He kept her safe but always remained a gentleman, even when they were sharing the cell with just the two of them.

'But never in one bed' Cutler's eyes were piercing hers, it was almost as if he was pressing the words from his lips.

'Well then, I give you permission to sleep with me in one bed Lord Beckett' Kate teased him speaking in a sarcastic tone. Cutler was smiling now and moved his arms around her waist. She was happy to see him smile again. Suddenly Cutler raised her in his arms. Kate moved her hands around his neck and stared into his piercing blue eyes flickering in the light of the candles.

'So, marriage you were saying?' Kate teased him even more and had to hold back a laugh. Cutler was grinning by now.

'There is never a dull moment with you, now is there Miss Florence?' he spoke almost proudly carrying her next door, where a little hallway in between rooms was leading to a room she had not seen yet.

Entering his bedroom her eyes moved to the large king-sized bed. Cutler returned her to the ground carefully and walked his way to the nightstand where he lit a candle so that the dark room was filled with light a little more. Which after Cutler walked to the windows that were showing the docks, he closed and locked them.

'Just in case' he spoke when turning to Kate again. She had moved herself to the dressing table and sat in front of the mirror removing her jewelry carefully. Cutler watched her while disposing himself of his boots. Kate let her hair down and moved a brush along her red curls.

'You can use the bathroom to change if you'd like some privacy' Cutler spoke while removing his vest and unbuttoned his blouse. Kate smiled at him after removing her silk top dress, now only wearing her corset and under-dress, she moved in front of him. Her hands rose to his chest that was now bare when he had finished unbuttoning, his blouse hanging from his body. She softly caressed his chest with her fingers.

'I could use some help with this' Kate turned around to reveal the laced-up strings of her corset. Cutler's face occupied a grin when she spoke and his hands softly moved her long red hair away from her back, slowly untieing her corset strings. While his warm fingers loosened her corset her heartbeat raised and she felt a warmth throughout her body feeling his breath on the skin of her neck. When he finished Kate moved to the bathroom door, holding the untied corset against her chest tightly. Looking over her shoulder for a moment she moved into his bathroom. It was a beautiful bathroom with a large bathtub. Her eyes went to the mirror and standing before it she moved herself into a nightgown one of the maids had left her a few moments ago.

When finished she returned to the bedroom. In the darkness, lit up by the candlelight, Kate immediately noticed Cutler's wigless hair, the dark blond curls she hadn't seen for a long time. It reminded her of the time they met.

Cutler opened the sheets of the bed at her side once he had moved around the pillars of the four-poster bed, she slowly moved to it and sat down. Her eyes followed him as he moved around to his side of the bed and she felt a warm feeling when her sight rested on his bare chest peeking through his nightgown visible in the dimmed light.

Cutler had entered the bed as well and suddenly lifted his body above Kate's. For a moment she thought he was moving on top of her, her hands touched his chest that almost pressed against hers, but he moved his face to the nightstand next to her side and blew out the candle in the lantern. Cutler had noticed her concerned look and started grinning.

'Don't worry. I would never throw myself on you just like that' he had moved back to his side of the bed. Kate smiled and felt her face heating up.

'Hmm, disappointing' Kate spoke teasing him.

'I guess you have had more than enough opportunity to throw yourself on me back then' Kate continued staring into his eyes still visible in the moonlight coming through the see-through curtains of the bedroom. Kate turned her body into his direction, her hand underneath her head against the pillow. Her thoughts went back to the nights in the brig. Laying here with him in the same room again she got reminded of his sweet soft snores, wondering if it would still be the same.

'But you didn't' she whispered.

'Kate, of course not. I would never do such a thing to you' Cutler had raised his upper body from the bed and stared at her in concern.

'I know' she raised her hand to one of his to ensure she didn't mean it that way. Kate wasn't sure why she said it out loud, it was one of those moments when she spoke her mind before thinking, but secretly she had wanted to see his reaction. Cutler moved back laying down, his eyes focused on her. Kate moved her hand to his chest slowly, her fingers moving along the hairs of his bare chest.

'I know you never would' she repeated. Cutler moved his eyes to hers back away from staring at the ceiling. He watched Kate lifting from her place on the bed, moving her head above him, pressing her lips softly onto his cheek, her rosy lips kissing him goodnight. Kate closed her eyes, for the first time in what felt like forever she was comfortable going to sleep, even though there was a murderer outside these walls.

Later that night Kate opened her eyes with a scream and quickly moved straight up in bed, she was breathing heavily, her chest going up and down. Her forehead and back were drenched in sweat. One of the nightmares she had at least once every time she was asleep seemed to be even worse this night. It almost felt like real pain what she experienced in the nightmare. Her heartbeat was rising in her chest. Kate remembered not having this very often, but sometimes the nightmares were so real that it felt like even though she was awake she couldn't let go of the fear.

Cutler had raised his upper body from the sheets, his sword dangling in his hand on his side of the bed. Kate watched him realizing it was only her waking from her sleep.

'Cutler, it's nothing!' Kate's eyes were widened and she moved her hands softly onto his hand holding the sword tightly. Cutler lowered it next to the bed again.

'I'm sorry to have scared you like that. I keep my weapon with me at all times, you never know' Cutler whispered and smiled at her. He noticed her state of mind and moved his hand to her cheek.

'Are you alright?' he asked while she released a soft sigh.

'I keep having these nightmares. For years now. It all started with what we have been through' Kate never told him, she didn't want to bother him with her silly nightmares.

'You are not alone in that' Cutler softly lifted her chin with his fingers so that her face was visible in the light of the candle.

'What we've been through is not something to be taken lightly Kate' his words comforted her. So he was having the nightmares too. Kate did not expect him to, he had probably seen a lot throughout the years at the Company, but he could understand her more than anyone, as they had experienced it together. Kate had been hiding her feelings for years, only telling a handful of people. And most of the time they didn't understand or acted like they did. It felt like a burden was lifted from her shoulders when he told her she wasn't overreacting.

Cutler's eyes moved to the windows. The curtains were dangling outside, floating on the strong wind. The windows were open. Cutler stepped out of the bed and quickened to the windows.

'I recall closing them?' Cutler moved his head out of the frame and watched down where the rocks were touching the ocean below.

'Yes you did' Kate mumbled and watched him close the windows again, this time making sure they were locked. Shaking his head in confusion he entered the bed. His eyes moved to her and he tried to cover-up his concern by smiling at her.

'You are safe with me' Cutler insured her, moving his body close to her again.

'I know' Kate whispered closing her eyes when she felt his arm reach around her waist.

The next morning the sunlight had peeked through the windows, the room was quiet. Opening her eyes she felt Cutler's warm body still present in the bed as well. Her sight turning to the clock on the wall she noticed it was late in the morning. Kate was surprised she did not wake early, as she always did. When she moved Cutler turned his head and slowly opened his eyes as well, he seemed to have forgotten that she was there next to him and his surprised face lit up.

'Goodmorning beautiful' Cutler's fingers reached for one of her curls and moved it to the side of her face. Kate smiled and realized how long it had been that she had awoken so calmly. For the rest of the night, the nightmares had left her alone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.8K 596 10
"What concerns did you want to discuss? Or are you just keeping me here to dress me in pretty gowns?" she spoke as she took a sip of the tea. It was...
9.5K 295 9
"So you're going to throw me out?" she asked, while she tried to swallow the lump in her throat which only seemed to grow. "Leave me with a few pound...
7K 266 13
ᴺᵒᵗ ᵃˡˡ ᵗʳᵉᵃˢᵘʳᵉ ⁱˢ ˢⁱˡᵛᵉʳ ᵃⁿᵈ ᵍᵒˡᵈ It all started with a punishment- her romance with Jack. Artemis never thought she would fall in love with a pira...
24.2K 535 15
Elizabeth Swann is on her way to marry William Turner, but she feels as if her marriage with him is the wrong decision since she met a pirate named C...