Bikes, Beaches and Afternoon...

By paris_monet

Chloe Morgan is your average teenager. However, with her sarcastic comebacks, cynical attitude, and the tend... More

INTRODUCTION
CHLOE'S MIXTAPE
CASPER'S SONG
01 | Misunderstood
02 | Trust Issues
03 | Breaking Point
04 | The Perfect Illusion
05 | The Happy Sweater
06 | The Secret Game
07 | Guilty Conscience
08 | Afternoon Waffles
09 | Awkward Moments
10 | Cheeky Behavior
11 | Unrequited Love
12 | Bittersweet Nostalgia
13 | Salted Wound
15 | Wallflower
16 | Skinny Love
17 | Salad Days
18 | Flower of Youth
19 | Wonderwall
20 | Broken Trust
21 | Broken Hearts
22 | The Yellow House

14 | Strange Jealousy

32 1 0
By paris_monet

────────── ♡ ──────────

SONG FOR THE CHAPTER

Bloom  by The Paper Kites

────────── ♡ ──────────

RECCOMENDED START TIME

Look for the ♡ symbol within the paragraphs

and then play the song for the recommended start time

────────── ♡ ──────────

I slowly approach my window, prepared to meet the gruesome face of a serial killer or worse... My therapist aka The Dragon Lady disguised as a serial killer. I have skipped a few of our recent appointments, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the day she tries to get her revenge. Perhaps these are my last moments walking among the people of this cruel world.

TAP, TAP, TAP!

My skin is covered in goosebumps. The sharp noise sends chills through my spine. I close my eyes and inhale a deep breath, building up the courage to identify the source. As I tiptoe closer to the window, the sound becomes louder...

TAP, TAP, TAP!

Eventually, I open the window and carefully glance down at the ground... 

It's Casper. 

"You scared the shit out of me!" I shout at him under the sound of a whisper.

He cringes, "Sorry..."

However, when I realize how serious the situation had become, I release any frustration. Casper seems earnest. I roll my eyes and release a resigned sigh, "It's fine..."

He was standing underneath the pouring rain, throwing pebbles at my bedroom window. When Casper squints his eyes and peers through the rain, we make eye contact; it's intense yet fragile as if one of us looks away the other person will break...

"What are you doing here?" I ask him.

"Not giving up..." he replies candidly, "I'm going to fight for you, Chloe."

There was residual tension between us. However, there seems to be warmth somewhere - a determined ember - ignited within our hearts that didn't cease beating, but continued to burn with the desire to never let go... We just couldn't let go.

"And why would you do that?" I question him.

"Because you're worth fighting for..." he answers with a soft voice.

The moment reminds me of ocean waves and their tendency to be graceful yet unpredictable. However, I have to be careful... My emotions are like wilting rose petals - delicate and slowly falling to pieces - one wrong move and I will crumble within his hands. Perhaps I'm covered in thorns, but if he is gentle with me, then he just might find something beautiful.

I roll my eyes and scoff, "But why stand outside in the rain? Why throw pebbles like coins into a wishing well? Why take a chance on the sad, broken girl that might not open the window?"

"I had to make sure you were okay..." he mentions with a tender expression.

"What if I'm not okay?" I remark with tears in my eyes, "What if I will never be okay?"

"I would prefer rainfall over sunshine..." he says quietly, "And I think that's why I would prefer you over anyone else."

"What are you implying?"

"That I'm here to stay, Eeyore..." he forms a gentle smile, "I'm right here..."

Casper has the kind of smile that could make plants grow. I'm comforted by the sound of his voice and his words are warm like morning coffee. I know that his compassion is genuine. However, there is just one more thing that I had to be sure of.

I release a heavy sigh, "Can I ask you something?"

He nods, "Always..."

"Are you afraid of me now?" I ask curiously, "Are you afraid that I'm fragile and if you touch me I just might break? Tell me... When I freaked out, did I really scare you?"

Then with a voice like a morning prayer, he spoke again, "I might be scared of a lot of things... I might be scared of spiders, clowns, finding strange hair in my food, the bubonic plague, expired milk, people with unnecessarily long fingernails and zombies..." he pauses for a moment, "However... The only thing that I'm scared of the most is losing you."

This was the calm after the storm - calm like ocean waves. I knew that Casper was honest - and I knew that he meant more to me than anything else in this world. Although that might be terrifying to admit, at least we can admit the truth: we are both afraid of losing each other and because of that, we won't... Perhaps this story might have a happy ending after all.

"I won't stay any longer because I don't want you to get in trouble," he mentions briefly, "But will you meet me in the meadow tomorrow morning? 6:00 am? In time for the sunrise?"

"Yes..." I respond quietly, "Of course..."

"And could you do me another favor?"

"Anything..."

"Although I can't wrap my arms around you tonight, there is something that can..." he grins at me like I'm the glorious sunrise, "Would you please wear The Happy Sweater? For me?"

"Yes..."

"Thank you..." he waves goodbye and smiles again, "Goodnight, Eeyore."

"Goodnight, Winnie The Pooh..."

After I watch Casper disappear into the mist and the darkness, I immediately run to my closet. When I nestle into The Happy Sweater, I'm comforted by the feeling of warmth. The ghost of his cologne lingers around the neckline and I snuggle deeper into The Happy Sweater. That is when I knew he was right... In this very moment, it's as if his arms are wrapped around me - and despite everything, it's as if we are finally close.

────────── ♡ ──────────

THE NEXT DAY

────────── ♡ ──────────

♡ When I arrive at the verdant meadow, I'm embraced by the gentle breeze wafting pollen and soft floral fragrances through the air. The dandelions have blossomed across the entire meadow, reaching towards the seashore down the hill. It's an incredibly beautiful view; the ocean melts into the blue sky within the background and seems to extend for miles into the horizon. I watch the waves gently rolling into the shore and kissing the sand like a long lost lover.

I stand upon the grassy fields of the meadow and behold such a breathtaking view. Then suddenly, I realize that this is where it all began... 

The summertime weather is mild and comforting; it's a rather crisp morning today. The wind drifts across the land, causing the plants and dandelions to dance. I begin strolling through the lush meadow looking for the boy with a rickety, red bike.

Suddenly, I see him... The very person that makes me wonder if I should smile more. He waves at me bashfully and then tucks his curly hair behind his ears. I wave back at him and then nervously bite my bottom lip. When we begin to approach each other, my heartbeat increases. Although I hate to admit this, I still get butterflies whenever I see Casper Collins.

"Good morning, fair maiden..." he greets me with a mellow voice.

"Good morning..." I reply quietly.

We stand in silence for a few seconds, Casper towering over me as per usual. He looks down at me and cracks a half-smile. It's a soft expression - barely noticeable. However, I know that he has something on his mind. He wants to say something.

"Thanks for meeting me..." he begins carefully, "Umm... I wanted to apologize for last night."

"There's no need to apologize," I assure him, "It wasn't your fault."

"But it's my fault for not respecting your boundaries... I'm sorry that I made you uncomfortable.  However, I'm afraid that I don't understand your reaction to when I hugged you."

"It's hard to explain..."

"Try me."

"It's a long story..."

"I have nothing but time."

"Casper-"

"Yes?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

Casper nods his head - he seems disappointed but doesn't pry any further. He gazes across the meadow and stares into the distance; he seems pensive. I wonder what he's thinking. Sometimes I wish that I could read his mind. His eyebrows crease together in contemplation and then he finally casts a glance in my direction.

"Is that why you ran off?" he asks me, "Because you were afraid to let me touch you?"

I blush and look away. Although I tried to avoid the answer, I think my expression spoke for me. Perhaps I wear my heart on my sleeve - despite my best efforts. However, I simply cannot utter the words that he needs to hear.

When I peer up at him through my eyelashes, the corners of his mouth curve into a soft smile; his expression is gentle and warm like the morning sunrise. Casper seems to understand somewhat. However, he might never know the honest truth. 

There is curiosity in his eyes when he asks me, "If you decided to run away, then why did you come back?"

With a voice as soft as a feather, I answer him, "You touched me without using your hands"

The glorious sun begins to rise over the horizon and beams of light pour upon the meadow. Casper seems to glow underneath the sunshine. When a smile blossoms upon his face, his green eyes sparkle like emeralds. I have never seen such a magnificent color. His expression is simply radiant -  cheeks dimpled and mouth bent into a soft curve. He is absolutely extraordinary.

Casper plops down into the grass and gently touches the flowers surrounding him. He glances at me and then pats the area next to him, urging me to sit down. I join him on the ground and make myself comfortable, watching the nature around me idly. Casper is calm; his eyes wander like they were lost at sea. Then suddenly, something dawns upon him.

He seems pensive when a wistful smile emerges upon his face, "Although you might have come back... do you intend to stay?"

I furrow my eyebrows with confusion, "What do you mean?"

A small frown creases his forehead, "Do you still want to leave Seabrooke?"

"Eventually, yes."

"Is there anything I could do that would convince you to stay?"

There was such hopefulness in his voice - such earnest optimism. He wasn't mad at me; he simply wanted more - more time, more days like this... I understand because I do as well. However, there is nothing I could say that wouldn't hurt him. 

Casper sighs, "You know that eventually, you will have to give me some answers, Chloe..."

I inhale a deep breath for courage before asking, "What answers do you want?"

"Why do you want to leave Seabrooke? Why do you know Billy? Why won't you allow me to touch you?" he chuckles wryly, "These questions whirl around in my mind like a hurricane. There are so many things I don't know about you and so many things I don't understand..."

I look away to hide the shame in my eyes, "I don't know what to tell you..."

"You don't have to tell me anything until you're ready..." his voice trembles, "However, I'm afraid that we are running out of time... I'm afraid that I'll open Casper's Cafe and your coffee will get cold before I realize you're gone."

"I wish I could tell you exactly what you want to hear..." I utter quietly.

"Me too..."

With nothing more to say, I carefully lay down in the grass and close my eyes. After a few seconds, Casper does the same. While resting next to each other, we become immersed within a moment of heavy silence. There was nothing heard but the sound of nature surrounding us. Then suddenly, I notice Casper open his eyes and stare into the open sky.

"Would it be possible that we could just lay here forever?" he muses earnestly.

"Nothing lasts forever..." I reply blankly.

"That's a terrible catchphrase..." he mentions.

We glance at each other before we suddenly break into stifled laughter. The moment was just so awfully serious that we couldn't help but brighten the mood with wry humor. His comment was unexpected and quite funny, hence why I became susceptible to his smile. Casper chuckles and I release a heavy breath. Then we stare at each other again. However, this time it's different. 

Casper smirks, "You are rather unusual..."

"Thanks..." I reply with a deadpan tone.

"Don't mention it."

I break eye contact for a moment, which gives me just enough time to stare at the sky and allow my thoughts to breathe. The thoughts come and go - peacefully - flowing the way that thoughts often do; that is until I think of something in particular that I want to ask Casper.

"You said that you want to just lay here forever," I mention, "What if I want to, but we can't?"

"Why can't we?" he asks candidly.

I'm caught off guard by his response. I didn't expect him to answer my question with another question. I become flustered, "I don't know, because some things are just impossible."

He furrows his brows and cocks his head to the side, "How so?"

"What if it rained?" I mention.

"I'd share my umbrella with you..." he insists.

"What if it snowed?" I mention.

"I'd keep you warm..." he insists.

"What if ninjas captured me?"

Casper pauses for a moment. I don't think he was expecting that, nor does he know how to respond. However, he seems determined to find the answer. He taps his chin thoughtfully and muses. Then with a gentle smile, he gazes at me like I'm the reason the sun rises in the morning.

"If ninjas captured you, I would spend all my free time training to be an even better ninja - which might take some time, since I am very far from being that, but I want you to know that I would eventually save you..."

I smile inwardly and then look away. Oh, Casper Collins... How remarkable you are. I wonder if he even knows. I continue to stare at the sky and admire the beautiful sunrise. The golden beams of sunlight bring warmth to my skin. The summertime weather is lovely today. I watch the bumblebees pollinate the flowers and the birds warble the dawn chorus from the trees.

Then suddenly, something tickles the surface of my skin. I glance down at my hand and notice the wisps of dandelion seeds floating in the gentle breeze. They surround me - dancing - the feathery bristles glow underneath the sunlight like a flickering candle.

Casper plucks one from the ground and offers the dandelion to me, "Make a wish..." he whispers like the breath of wind.

Color blooms in my cheeks when I carefully accept the dandelion. Then I close my eyes and gently blow the seeds into the air with a single breath. When I open my eyes, the seeds wafting around me begin drifting far away into the distance. They remind me of fireflies.

"What did you wish for?" he inquires tenderly.

"I can't tell you!" I retort briskly, "Or else it won't come true..." 

Casper chuckles softly and then says, "Legend has it that, if you can blow all the seeds off a dandelion with a single breath, then the person you love will love you back..."

"Is that true?"

He pauses for a moment and then smiles, "Certainly..."

I pluck a dandelion from the ground and offer him one, "Here..." I begin adamantly, "You should make a wish too."

He chuckles again, "What should I wish for?"

"How am I supposed to know?" I remark, "A wish is something personal, I can't tell you what it should be... Just think of something you really, really, really want."

Casper smiles. Then he closes his eyes and gently blows the seeds into the air with a single breath. When he opens his eyes, the seeds wafting around him begin drifting far away into the distance. They remind me of fireflies.

"What did you wish for?" I ask him.

"I think you already know..." he answers.

I look at Casper and then there they were... the butterflies - fluttering in my belly with their beautiful wings - the very butterflies I have felt since the moment I laid eyes on him. The colors within the horizon are vivid, the sounds of nature are harmonious, and at this very moment, we are vibrant and free.

────────── ♡ ──────────

A FEW HOURS LATER

────────── ♡ ──────────

We have been relaxing in the meadow for a while now. The sun has fully risen and we have managed to have a few random conversations about life, dreams, and aliens... Casper really likes talking about aliens. However, the conversation seemed to have fizzled out like a can of soda that was left open for too long. That doesn't bother me; silence is nice sometimes.

Casper tilts his head to the side and scrutinizes me, "You're rather quiet..."

I roll my eyes and scoff at him, "Thank you, Captain Obvious..."

He smiles, "You're welcome Lieutenant Sarcastic..."

I fold my arms behind my head and close my eyes. Then I inhale a nice, deep breath to relax even further. However, Casper has other plans for me.

"What are you thinking about?" he inquires.

"Stuff..."

"What kind of stuff?"

"Stuff that I think about... Thoughts - private thoughts - the reason that thoughts are only thoughts in the first place."

"Hmm..." he smirks playfully, "If I guess what you're thinking about will you tell me?"

"Sure."

"Are you thinking about someone?"

"Maybe..."

"Are you thinking about a friend?"

"That's rather presumptuous of you to assume that I have friends..." I snort with disdain.

"Are you thinking about someone that would be a friend if you didn't have this weird loner complex that prevents you from wanting to make friends?" he comments wryly.

"Maybe..."

"I'm good at this game!"

"Don't flatter yourself."

"Okay... Final guess..." he begins carefully, "I think you just might be thinking about me."

I strive to remain calm and not blush with embarrassment. Therefore, I simply brush it off my shoulder and make a sarcastic comment, "What do you want? A cookie or something?"

"Perhaps..."

"Are you happy now?"

He shakes his head with disbelief, "I'm surprised more than anything."

I furrow my eyebrows, "Why?"

"All this time I never knew that I occupied your thoughts like you do mine."

"Do you mean that?" I inquire curiously, "Do I really occupy your thoughts?"

"Among other things..." he says briefly, "Like aliens, food, irrational desires like jumping into a taxi and shouting follow that car!"

I chuckle wryly, "You are quite the interesting specimen..."

Without warning, my phone begins to ring. It's rather strange considering I never get phone calls. Now alarmed and confused, I quickly grab it from my pocket and answer, "Hello?"

"Chloe!" a voice shouts back, "Are you at therapy?"

"Do fish get thirsty?"

"The office called..." she began cryptically, "I was just informed that you have skipped your last 3 appointments and I'm not happy! Do you hear me?"

"I have ears... So technically, yes..."

"You better march your butt into that office right now and attend your therapy session because you owe Pamela an apology!"

"Ugh... Do I really have to?"

"If you ever intend to see your cell phone again, I suggest that you do so."

When the call ends, Casper looks at me curiously, "Who was that?"

"The Grim Reaper... He says that we have some unfinished business," I shrug my shoulders casually and then stand up, "Wish me luck."

────────── ♡ ──────────

AWHILE LATER

────────── ♡ ──────────

With an exaggerated facial expression of despair, I release a melodramatic sigh, "Oh, woe is me!" I exclaim with my terribly convincing theatrical talent. I pretend to seem distraught and toss my arm over my forehead, "Tell me, doctor! Don't spare me! How much longer do I have to live? My husband is worried sick. Our young son Edward just returned from the war! I need to know if I will perish before I see my only son marry that promiscuous wench from the quarter!"

"I see that we are feeling rather comical today..." Pamela observes with a deadpan expression.

I shrug my shoulders, "I guess you could say that."

Pamela arches an eyebrow and prepares her notepad, "Now what, or might I ask, who has you in such a good mood today, Chloe?"

"I don't know..." I mutter under my breath, avoiding the answer.

"A boy perhaps?"

My cheeks turn pink and I quickly deflect the assumption, "I try not to involve myself with such fickle creatures like the opposite sex... Besides, I'm nearly certain they have cooties."

Pamela forms an odd smile and then somehow manages to reassure me and patronize me within the same sentence, "There's no shame in having a teenage crush. It's normal for girls your age to be thinking about boys..." she chuckles condescendingly, "It's also perfectly normal to create scenarios and daydream about your prince charming."

"Well, my prince charming is not coming on a white horse... He's obviously riding a turtle somewhere really confused..."

"Do your parents know about this potential suitor?"

Completely stunned by the sudden question, I jerk my head back and raise my bows. However, after composing myself, I clear my throat and resume to the conversation, "Hypothetically, if we are assuming that there is a... potential suitor... then the answer is no."

"And how has your relationship with your parents been as of recently?"

"If you are familiar with the dynamic of a porcupine and a mountain lion then you just might understand how the relationship with my foster parents has been as of recently."

"And how have you been, generally speaking?" she scribbles on her ugly notepad, "Are you taking your medication? Are you experiencing any unpleasant side effects?"

"No, I haven't been taking them..." I admit blatantly.

"Why not?"

"They make me tired..."

"Is that such a bad thing?"

"It is when I already want to take a nap tomorrow."

"I see..." she scribbles again, this time more fervently, "I'm afraid that your lethargy is not a side effect of your medication, but rather a common symptom of depression, which I know you are no stranger to... This lethargy might vary between excessive sleepiness or insomnia, wheras it can manifest in other mood or behavioral symptoms such as anxiety or social isolation."

My eyes widen at the sound of such familiar terms. I furrow my eyebrows and listen intently, "What other symptoms are there?"

"Well, depression may also present itself in other ways, such as apathy or guilt..." she tells me with a grave tone of voice, "Furthermore, it's not uncommon for depression to open doors for other experiences..."

"Like what?"

"A common disorder found in teenagers with depression is anxiety, which is your body's natural response to stress... However, stress and anxiety are two very different things with several variables," she adjusts her glasses, "I very much believe that you have anxiety, Chloe." 

"So... basically I'm dying?"

She chuckles somewhat, "No, Chloe... You're not dying."

"It sounds like dying to me..." I mention casually, "If you are so miserable that you start mentally deteriorating, whos to say that you won't just kick the bucket? I mean, is life really worth living at that point? To where you aren't even dying to live but you're living to die?" I shake my head and stare out the window, "Yeah... That sounds like dying to me."

"Well, that is a very important discussion we must have," she says, "But unfortunately, our session is over..."

"Really?"

"Are you implying that you weren't counting the minutes?"

"I guess not."

"Well you did show up late..." she mentions with a tinge of bitterness, "Wheras the last 3 sessions have remained unaccounted for."

"Yeah... My bad."

Pamela stands up and escorts me to the exit. When she forms a small smile, she pats me on the back and attempts to encourage me, "Cheer up, Chloe! Live every day like it's your last!"

"I don't think the feeling that I'm going to die tomorrow is the best way to make me happy." 

────────── ♡ ──────────

AWHILE LATER

────────── ♡ ──────────

I received a rather interesting phone call from Casper. He gave me an address and told me to meet him there. He didn't explain why or where but insisted that I arrived with a jar of peanut butter. Need I say that when I rummaged through the kitchen cabinets for peanut butter, Robert and Susan were quite confused.

I enjoy the summertime weather while leisurely riding my bike through the neighborhood with a jar of peanut butter in my backpack. The gentle breeze and warm sunshine are nice. I have noticed that ever since I met Casper I have begun to spend more time outdoors.

I admire his spontaneity. If it wasn't for Casper, I most likely would be curled up into a ball in my bed eating snacks and watching Netflix by myself. However, he somehow has managed to make me enjoy bikes, beaches and afternoon waffles.

The directions carry my bike to a street known as Lumber Lane. There is not much to say about the forgotten side of the neighborhood. The area is surrounded by trees and wildlife. It was once common for lumberjacks to chop wood in the nearby forest, hence the name of the street. However, there was something pleasant about the area. It was quiet and peaceful.

Eventually, I arrive at an adorable cabin in the woods. I dismount my bike and view the entrance sign that reads The Critter Shack. The pet shop is quaint and charming. However, you wouldn't know it was here if you didn't receive directions. The Critter Shack is hidden deep within the woodlands and peers through the heavy trees like a desolate lighthouse.

The forest is verdant and surrounded by wildlife. The birds dance and chirp from the evergreen trees, creating a melodious song. Then I begin to wonder how Casper always finds such amazing locations. Speaking of Casper, where is he? And why does he have me here in the first place?

I'm unsure if I should knock against the front door. However, the entrance creaks open anyways. I peek my head inside and look around. The walls are lined with various shelves that hold miscellaneous animal food, toys, and accessories. There is everything from aquarium tanks to dog collars and leashes. I continue to explore the pet shop until I'm interrupted. 

"Welcome!" the voice greets me.

I roll my eyes and chuckle somewhat, "Casper... What are we doing here?"

"I work here," he replies casually.

And sure enough, he was right. I look at his work uniform which consists of a dirty apron and a name tag. Who would have guessed that Casper Collins works in a pet shop? Then again, he did mention during The Secret Game that he has always loved animals.

"Since when did you work at The Critter Shack?" I ask him while still exploring the store.

"I started working part-time this summer," he grabs a broom and begins sweeping the floor, "And so far, I really like working here! My boss is super cool and I'm basically just getting paid to hang out with animals all day. I can't imagine a better job than this!" he looks around the store and then gestures for me to follow him, "Do you want to meet some of the animals?"

"Sure," I reply with an inward smile.

I follow Casper to the back of the store where the dogs can be found. He takes me behind the glass and opens the door to one of the kennels. That is when an unbelievably small Chihuahua approaches me and begins rubbing against my leg. 

"Aww!" I coo and bend down to pet him, "What's his name?"

"Goliath..." Casper answers with a cheeky grin.

"And who might be responsible for that irony?"

"Someone with a good sense of humor," he winks at me and then picks up Goliath from the ground. While cradling the puppy in his arms, he continues speaking, "These dogs have been rescued from around the neighborhood after being neglected or abandoned. My boss says it's important that they have cute names so they are more likely to be adopted. Therefore, I thought it would be appropriate to give this little guy a rather memorable name."

"Let me guess..." I begin with a wry smirk, "That incredibly large dog over there is named Tiny?"

"No..." he glances at the Great Dane, "That's Peanut."

"Even better."

"I really want them to find good homes," he insists, squeezing Goliath close to his chest, "I spend nearly every day with these animals and they all have such unique personalities. Anybody would be lucky to have them as a member of their family."

Suddenly, the front door swings open. I veer around to identify the abrupt company. However, I'm surprised to see no one. I stand in silence for a few seconds, waiting for the person to reveal themselves. Who could it be? That's when I hear Casper exclaim something with excitement.

"Dude!" he shouts with joy.

I crane my neck to see around the corner. Ultimately, I find nothing but a Golden Retriever frolicking through the pet shop. I furrow my brows in confusion and look at Casper. He opens his arms and the dog leaps into his arms, slobbering over his face; Casper doesn't seem to mind.

"Who's this?" I ask curiously, stroking the soft fur of the Golden Retriever.

"Dude..." he replies.

"Yeah?"

"No, like his name is Dude."

I pause for a very long time and then finally utter the word, "What?"

"Dude is great... He's very friendly. He's nice to everyone," Casper ruffles the fur on his head and smiles at the dog, "Dude is very playful too. That's why I let him run around the forest sometimes when my boss isn't looking... Nobody likes to be cooped up all day!"

"Wait... So you really named him-"

"Who's a good boy?" Casper interrupts, "Who's a good boy?"

The dog rolls over on his back and Casper begins rubbing his belly. The dog kicks its leg in the air and barks playfully, twirling around on the floor. I want to crack a smile at the sight of Casper and Dude. I have to admit that it's rather charming how much Casper loves animals. 

"Did you bring the peanut butter?" he asks out of the blue.

I reach into my backpack and hand him the jar, "Why did you have me bring this?"

"Peanut butter if favorite treat of many canines," he responds with a playful grin, "Not only is it a good source of protein, but it also contains heart healthy fats, vitamin B, and vitamin E." 

"Good to know..."

He removes a spoon from his apron pocket and scoops the peanut butter. Then he serves the tasty snack to Dude, which laps up the treat. He seems to be enjoying the offering and makes a rather funny face while doing so. I've never seen a dog eat peanut butter, but I'm honestly quite glad that I have now. I'm starting to realize why he had me bring it in the first place. 

When I take the spoon and give some to the other dogs, Casper can't help but smile, "See? They like you!" he says, "All it takes is some of that peanut butter magic!"

"Never thought I would hear the word peanut butter and magic in the same sentence."

"Well there's a first time for everything," he mentions with a smirk.

When the bell at the front door jingles, Casper places Dude in his kennel and attends to the new customer, "Hello!" he greets politely, "Can I help you with anything?"

"Yes," the old lady replies, "Might you point me in the direction of the cat food?"

"Right over there, ma'am..." he says with his index finger gesturing towards the back aisle.

"Thank you, young man."

Casper tilts his head to the side. His expression was contemplative as if he was thinking really hard about something. He zones out for a minute - lost in thought it seems like. I nudge him in the ribs with my elbow to grab his attention.

"What are you thinking about?" I ask him curiously.

"When you get older, do old people start becoming attractive to you? Like when I'm 70 are grandmas going to look hot?" he shivers at the thought, "This is a legitimate concern of mine."

I stare at him hard for a few seconds, "You know that little voice inside your head that keeps you from saying things you shouldn't? Yeah, I don't think you have one of those."

Casper glances at the clock on the wall and smiles, "Lunchtime!" he sings cheerfully, "I have to give all the dogs fresh food and water now."

I follow Casper to the check-out counter at the front of the shop. Then he exits behind a door where he begins preparing the dog bowls. I lean against the counter and allow my eyes to wander. There are birdcages hanging from the ceiling and fish tanks against the walls. There is so much to look at; I really hope all these animals find good homes too. 

The pet shop was mostly empty, but Casper's big personality fills up the room. I admire how good he is with all of the animals. I can tell that he has so much passion for what he does. Honestly, I had no idea that Casper was such a well-rounded person. I feel like I learn something new about him every day.

Suddenly, I hear a weird noise. I quickly look around the room to find the source, but no to avail. That's when I realize that the noise is coming from something right next to me. I turn around and find Casper's cell phone sitting on the counter... He has received a text message.

I glance for a moment and then look away. No... That's wrong. I shouldn't be reading his text messages! That is so inappropriate and invasive. I just would never do such a thing. 

However, when the phone gets another notification, my toes start to curl inside of my shoes. Who is blowing up Casper's phone like this? He's never mentioned any friends or... even worse... girlfriends... That's the only way to explain a double-text...

What the Hell is going on? Does he secretly have a girlfriend he hasn't told me about? How could he keep something like that from me?

The insecurities and doubts begin to consume me. How could I possibly think that I was the only girl in his life? How stupid could I be? Casper is every girl's dream! He's the perfect guy. I mean,  it's no secret that he is perfect. In fact, I'm pretty sure that he's my Prince Charming on a turtle. But what if someone else thinks that too? 

Although I know it's wrong to invade someone's privacy, I can't help but wonder what he's talking about when I'm not around. Is there any chance that this person knows more about Casper than I do? Who could be texting him? I have to find out.

Yes, I will admit that in a moment of weakness, that is when I begin to reluctantly snoop through his phone. Lucky for me, he doesn't have a passcode on his phone. I feel terrible for what I'm about to do, but I'm also feeling vulnerable and scared, I just have to put my mind at ease.

I peer over my shoulder to make sure Casper is not around and then I secretly begin to scroll through his messages. I find a conversation between him and someone named Logan.

THURSDAY 11:45 PM

CASPER: "Hey, are you awake?"

LOGAN: "Depends... If you're just wondering, then yes. If you just want something from me, then no."

CASPER: "It's a code red."

LOGAN: "Austin is drunk again?"

CASPER: "No."

CASPER: "I meant it's a code blue."

LOGAN: "You're super depressed?"

LOGAN: "I told you to stop watching the Notebook."

CASPER: "No!"

CASPER: "Fuck... What was it?"

CASPER: "Oh!"

CASPER: "It's a code pink!"

LOGAN: "A girl?!"

LOGAN: "Holy shit! I've been waiting for a code pink!"

My cheeks turn a bright pink when I blush... Casper is talking about me? All this time I was worried that he might be talking to another girl but he's actually just talking to one of his guy friends about me? I should be flattered! 

I can't deny that I feel those butterflies in my belly when I think about the fact that Casper is talking about me. This just might be the answer I was searching for. Perhaps that legend about dandelions is true after all...

Suddenly, as I'm reading the messages, Casper receives another notification. However, this time, it's from none other than a girl named Jessica... Wait... Who the fuck is Jessica?!

TODAY 1:30 PM

JESSICA: Hey Cas!

JESSICA: Wyd?

JESSICA: I just wanted to thank you for showing me around Seabrooke the other day! I had a great time! We should hang out again soon. Let me know when you're free. XOXO

Showing me around Seabrooke? Had a great time? XOXO? What the Hell is she talking about? Apparently, Casper is hanging out with other girls. But that doesn't explain who Jessica is and why Casper is talking to her. I have never been so hurt...

After reading the texts with Jessica, I doubt the code pink is really about me. She even gave him a nickname! Cas? How original... His name is only two syllables do you really need to shorten it? I haven't even met the girl and I already despise her.

Wait a minute... Am I... Jealous? No, that's impossible. How can I be jealous of someone I don't even know? Why would I even care in the first place? But then again, after everything that Casper and I have gone through, you would think there would be some loyalty there. 

I don't know what to think. My stomach just did a triple summersault and I have a headache. This is quite possibly one of the worst days of my life.

Suddenly, Casper returns. I quickly place his phone back where I found it and pretend to be doing something else. He approaches me with that same cheeky grin. 

"Do you have any plans for the weekend?" he asks randomly.

"I'll probably just stay at home and binge-watch Netflix..." I reply without much enthusiasm. 

"Ah, so you haven't made any yet?"

"What? I just told you about my plans."

He chuckles, "Would you like to attend a party with me tomorrow night?"

"No..." I reply curtly.

Casper jerks his head back, "Why not?"

I shrug my shoulders, "Because I have better things to do."

"Like binge-watching Netflix?"

"Precisely."

Casper cocks his head to the side and scrutinizes me, "You seem upset."

I purse my lips, "I'm perfectly fine, thank you."

"Are you sure?"

"Quite."

I couldn't let him know that I was just snooping through his phone. But I also can't pretend like I'm not mad at him for talking to other girls. Who does he think he is? If he thinks that I am just going to ignore the fact he hasn't told me about Jessica then he has another thing coming.

Casper taps his chin thoughtfully, "What if I told you they will have free food at the party?"

I narrow my eyes and release a resigned sigh, "Fine... We can go."

────────── ♡ ──────────

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hello everyone!

Thank you for reading this chapter! I think this turned out a lot better than the last one. Honestly, I'm so glad that the story is finally progressing! We are meeting new characters and learning more about the protagonists. Everything is coming together so nicely.

Although it only took me 10 days to write this chapter, I worked really hard on it! I think it just was written so fast because I was really excited to be introducing new elements to the story! I am really looking forward to writing the next chapter! 

Buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride!

Yours,

Paris

 ────────── ♡ ──────────

Published February 12, 2020 

────────── ♡ ──────────

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.8K 971 30
Seventeen-year-old Charlotte James has it all. She has the grades, the looks, and the friends. She is also a shoo-in for valedictorian of her class...
3.1K 110 20
Milo Holden was a regular 18-year old boy. He had a loving father, a loyal best friend and most importantly, a working car. The only th...
371K 8.6K 41
What do you do when your boyfriend of two years cheats on you and gets caught at junior prom, in front of the whole school? You grieve, you suffer, a...
218K 5.5K 41
When introverted Paige Lewis unexpectedly wins a radio contest, she didn't know she would be off to Florida for a week with confident Parker Collins...