Steel Heart

Por duabawrites

(Crosspost from FF.net and A03 under duaba) Tough as nails and a tongue just as sharp, the child of Water 7 w... Más

Ch 1 - The First Employee of Galley-La
Ch 2 - Dock #1
Ch 3 - Good Customer Service
Ch 4 - Attack on the Franky's House
Ch 5 - Angel Eyes
Ch 6 - The Coming Storm
Ch 7 - A Private Tour of the Puffing Tomd Part 7
Ch 8 - Warehouse #2
Ch 9 - Resilience
Ch 10 - Comrades and Cannons
Ch 11 - the Fear of Swimming
Ch 12 - First Ones in a Fight
Ch 13 - the Courthouse
Ch 14 - the Rooftop
Ch 15 - Entering the Tower of Justice
Ch 16 - Nana vs Kalifa
Ch 17 - Showing Off
Ch 18 - the Dinner Show
Ch 19 - Delivering the Package
Ch 20 - Ready to Fight
Ch 21 - Enough
Ch 22 - Franky's Request
Ch 23 - Family Gatherings
Ch 24 - a Woman, a Pirate, or a Craftsman
Ch 25 - Craft
Ch 26 - Don't Cry
Ch 27 - Take Off
Ch 28 - Mornings
Ch 29 - Hide & Seek
Ch 30 - Bones
Ch 31 - A Race
Ch 32 - Dinner and a Bath
Ch 33 - Cindry & Ryuma
Ch 34 - Food, Nami, and Shadows
Ch 35 - Nana vs The Straw Hat Zombies
Ch 36 - Absalom
Ch 37 - Milk, Salt, and Ice
Ch 38 - No More Hiding
Ch 39 - Paw vs Glove
Ch 40 - Recovery
Ch 41 - Inspiration
Ch 42 - Weapons Testing
Ch 43 - Mermaids & Flying Fish
Ch 44 - Duvall
Ch 45 - What is Love?
Ch 46 - Flights & Bubbles
Ch 47 - the 12th Rookie
Ch 48 - Diffusion
Ch 49 - The Latest Upgrade
Ch 50 - A Trip
Ch 51 - A Coating
Ch 52 - Legacy
Ch 53 - Hijack
Ch 54 - Alone
Ch 55 - Maiden Island
Ch 56 - the Message
Ch 57 - Girl Talk
Ch 58 - Reunited
Ch 59 - Cool Down
Ch 60 - Separated Again
Ch 61 - Changes
Ch 62 - Trouble in Paradise
Ch 63 - The Tracker
Ch 64 - A Visit to the Palace
Ch 65 - Attack on the Palace
Ch 66 - The Sea Forest
Ch 67 - Battle Mode
Ch 68 - Rumble in Conchcord Plaza
Ch 69 - Bubbles
Ch 70 - Blood & Glory
Ch 71 - Ascension
Ch 72 - Drawing Straws
Ch 73 - the Biscuit Room
Ch 74 - the Switch Up
Ch 75 - Drugged Up
Ch 76 - Meeting the Master
Ch 77 - A Demonstration
Ch 78 - Candy Crush
Ch 79 - Preservation
Ch 80 - Full Responsibility
Ch 81 - Full Responsibility
Ch 82 - First Date
Ch 83 - A Kick in the Head
Ch 84 - How to Be a Robo Sis
Ch 85 - How to Call Dibs
Ch 86 - How to Make a Group Call
Ch 87 - How to Be Hard Boiled
Ch 88 - How to Make a Comeback
Ch 89 - How to Be the Exception
Ch 90 - How to Get Someone's Attention
Ch 91 - How to Use Cola
Ch 92 - How to Conserve Energy
Ch 93 - How to Take a Shortcut
Ch 94 - How to Break Toys
Ch 95 - How to Cut In
Ch 96 - How to Ignite the Flames
Ch 97 - How to Dismantle a Birdcage
Ch 98 - How to Rest
Ch 99 - How to Hope for the Best
Ch 100 - How to Climb to the Top
Ch 101 - How to Prioritize
Ch 102 - How Not to Handle Bad News
Ch 103 - How to Fix a Mess
Ch 104 - How to Accept An Invite
Ch 105 - How to Force a Hand
Ch 106 - How to Have a Heart
Ch 107 - How to Take a Hit
Ch 108 - How to Lie
Ch 109 - How to Make a Family Connection
Ch 110 - How to Focus
Ch 111 - How to Call Bull
Ch 112 - How to Play Pretend
Ch 113 - How to Stay Out of It
Ch 115 - How to Plan an Assassination
Ch 116 - How to Talk to Sisters

Ch 114 - How to Accept Failure

2.2K 115 22
Por duabawrites

Please be there. Nana! Luffy! Please be there!

Sanji raced out of the city with a basket of food in hand. As soon as he and Carrot Pudding went to the library, they discovered that Nami and Luffy had escaped with the help of Jimbei. Fortunately enough, the guard, Charlotte Opera, was so distraught over his blunder that he made them promise to keep it a secret from Big Mom and the rest of the family, which was the easiest promise Sanji had ever made.

He could've dashed out and gone to find Luffy and Nana right then but he knew that he could not show up empty handed. Luffy, that stubborn idiot, most likely had not eaten like he said he would and at this rate, would be starving.

As Sanji approached the meeting spot, his feet grew heavy and so did his heart. The aftermath of a great battle stretched across the grass and it was all caused by and directed at one man. As Sanji considered the amount of energy Luffy needed to even take on half this crowd, the hand on the basket handle tightened.

No...Luffy wouldn't be starving. By now, he must be ravenous.

"LUFFY! NANA!" Sanji cried as inspected any fallen person that could potentially be them, "LUFFY! NA-"

He stopped short when he saw his angel, standing with her legs braced apart and her arms across her chest in front of a big tree. She was caked in so much blood, mud, and grass that not even the heavy rain could wash all of it off.

"NANA! What happened? Are you okay?!" Sanji ran up to her and was about to embrace her but she stuck a palm out and kept him at arm's length.

"First things first, my love," she said softly and then moved aside for him to see the captain asleep against the tree.

"L-Luffy..." Sanji whispered.

Despite looking completely battered...Despite looking shrivelled and small against the tree...Despite the rumbling of a stomach beneath a limp hand...It was a sight for Sanji's sore eyes.

They filled up with tears of relief for the man who kept his promise and waited for him. The man who didn't give up on him even when he was at his lowest. The man who befriended him and saw him for who he really was.

Not a prince...Not a failure...But a cook.

"Remember when I said that I'm the only person who can put up with your shit?" Nana whispered as she put a hand on his shoulder.

"...Yes," Sanji said with his eyes fixated on the captain.

"I was wrong...Because there's also him," Nana said and the tears in Sanji's eyes swelled until his vision became a blur, "But...he's been through hell and back already for you so cut the crap now and tell him what's in your heart."

Sanji gulped and Nana gave his shoulder a pat before walking down the hill. "I'll leave you two alone to talk things out."

Sanji wiped his eyes with his soggy sleeve and approached Luffy. The cook barely took two steps towards the rubber man when Luffy's nostrils flared and he sniffed the air. His eyes slowly opened and his mouth parted.

"S-Sanji!" he rasped and then he grinned, showing a chipped tooth and a split lip, "I've been...waiting for you. You're late."

I didn't ask you to wait! You made that decision all by yourself, was at the tip of Sanji's tongue but he held it back. There was no use redirecting the anger he had for himself to Luffy. Nana was right...Luffy deserved better. He deserved the truth.

"Luffy, I-," Sanji started to say but then the words caught in his throat. His apologies. His explanations. It all needed to come out but he had no idea where to begin.

Fortunately, his captain's stomach did.

Grrrrrr!

Sanji brought the basket of food to Luffy. "Here," he said as he stepped to the side and leaned against the tree.

"Food!" Luffy gasped as he opened the lid of the now soggy basket.

"I...I dropped it on my way here. It's been crushed and it got wet in the rain," Sanji said when Luffy took out the bento box, which was now a jumbled mess of rice, vegetables, fish, and meat. The cook pushed his hand through his limp, wet hair, "It's...just another failure."

Luffy blinked and lifted a leg of meat coated in a murky sauce. He took a bite without hesitation and his whole face lit up. "S-Sooooo gooood!" he yelled as he dug into the bento box with fervor, "Ooh! There's sandwiches and hamburgers! Nana and Franky's favorite! Oh! EVERYONE'S FAVORITES ARE IN THIS BOX. This is the best meal ever!"

"I...I got carried away in the kitchen," Sanji admitted quietly and slumped down to the ground next to the rubber man. He watched Luffy eat bite after bite with no hesitation, like he always did with Sanji's food. With his meticulously served food that was usually not doused in rainwater and god knows what else.

The cook's lips started to tremble and he forced himself to look away.

"YOSH!" Luffy cheered as he got to his feet and threw out his arms, "I'm ready now! Alright! Let's go back!"

"I...I can't," Sanji whispered and Luffy turned to the cook.

"Why not?!" Luffy demanded.

Cut the crap and tell him what's in your heart.

The floodgates opened and tears streamed down Sanji's face as he lowered his head on the grass. There was only one thing in his heart and it was time he admitted it to not just Luffy but himself as well.

"I am so ashamed," he sobbed, "I am such a failure. I insulted my captain who came all this way for me. Did my best to kick you even while you didn't fight back. All in order to protect that damn geezer who I'm indebted to and the sea restaurant where I grew up...which turned out didn't need protecting because the woman I love was already protecting them...A woman...who I lied to and almost betrayed because I thought her life would be in danger. I have done nothing but cause pain and harm to everyone in my life..."

He almost choked on his own tears and he had to take a moment to regain some control over himself. "And now...and now..." he choked out, "My own biological family will all be killed in a few hours and I'm supposed to be the trigger for their deaths. The lynch pin to Big Mom's double cross. And...even though I hold nothing but resentment for my biological father and brothers...I still can't bring myself to walk away and turn my back on them."

He let in a straggled breath but he kept his head firmly on the ground. "I am an utter and complete failure and...I've even failed myself. I want to go back to the Sunny...I want to cook for everyone again. I want to marry Nana and find the All Blue. I want to see you become the King of Pirates. I want all of that so very much but...I can't...I can't get the courage to leave. Even though I know...I know that once the wedding starts, there's nothing I can do by staying...I can't stop anything by myself. I can't even save scum that I don't consider my family...I...I'm sorry...I am so...So..."

His voice broke and he bit at his lips to stop himself from sounding and looking more pathetic than he already was.

Flop!

"Hrmm..."

Sanji raised his head and his eyes widened at the sight of the rubber boy sitting cross-legged on the grass with a huge grin on his face.

"Well," Luffy said, "That's just how you are."

Sanji's heart squeezed tightly in his chest and the breath was knocked out of him.

"Nana! We can't leave yet!" Luffy turned and shouted down the hill, "We're going to stop the wedding, okay?!"

"Fuck yeah we will!"

Sanji sat up but his tears continued to fall as Nana appeared and walked over to them. He watched in silence as the mechanic and the rubber man both turned to him and smiled.

Their understanding and their complete acceptance of him hit him like a steam train. To them, Sanji wasn't a failure. He was just himself and there was nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong at all.

Luffy held out his hand and Sanji clasped it firmly. His captain pulled him to his feet and a small smile finally appeared on the cook's lips. A fat droplet of rain hit Sanji right on the bridge of his nose and it snapped him to attention. He raced over to the mechanic and took off the red cape that hung on his back.

"Ah! Nana! Here, you're going to be drenched. Here, take this-"

The mechanic let out an unladylike snort. "Newsflash, Prince Charming. I'm already soaked. I probably look like something pulled out of a hair drain."

Despite her refusal, Sanji slung the cape around Nana's shoulders and he kissed her softly on the lips. "You look beautiful."

As if on cue, the rain stopped and the clouds started to part. Beams of light descended onto the land and it lit up the angel's face. He cupped it in his hands and drew her in closer for a longer, more intimate kiss.

"Ehhhh...Is this where I pronounce you man and wife?"

Sanji and Nana pulled back from each other and stared at their captain as if he had just grown three heads.

"What?" Sanji asked.

Luffy scratched the back of his head. "Usopp said captains actually have the power to marry people and that I better get ready because you two will need me. So...is this where I pronounce you man and wife?"

"Those are naval captains, you idiot!" Sanji exclaimed.

"You think this is how I want to get married?" Nana demanded and gestured to the battlefield, "Did Sanji kick you in the head too hard?!"

Luffy put a hand on his hips. "Well, Sanji can't get married if he's already married, right?! So if I marry you two right now, then the wedding will have to stop!"

"Idiot!" Sanji and Nana shouted in unison as the mechanic smacked her captain across the face.

"If anything, that would just anger Big Mom and Germa 66 and they'll want Nana dead," Sanji huffed, "Don't put Nana in more danger than she already is.

"OYYYYYY! LUFFY! SANJI! NANA! CAN YOU HEAR ME?!"

"WOOF WOOF WOOF!"

"Eh? That's Chopper and Pygmy!" Nana gasped as she ran towards the sound. Sanji and Luffy quickly followed after her.

"OYYYY! ANSWER ME IF YOU HEAR ME!"

They found a shard of glass lying on the other side of the tree.

"Chopper?!" Nana asked as she held up the shard. The sliver was just big enough for Nana to see a very wide and excited eye.

"NANA!" Chopper yelled, "Is Luffy and Sanji with you? Is everyone okay?"

"Yep! Pyg, you good?!," Nana asked.

"AWOOOOO!"

"Good boy," Nana grinned and handed the glass to Luffy.

"Ah! Luffy!" Chopper cheered, "Great! You're really there!"

"Is Sanji-kun also there?!" came Nami's voice and Sanji gulped.

"Yeah. He's here," Nana said, "It's all good now."

"Yohohohoho!" came Brook's voice, "Sanji-san. I'm glad you're okay!"

"BROOK!" Nana gasped, "Are you okay? Is Pedro with you? Did you guys get it?!"

"Thank you for your consideration, Nana-san. It warms my heart. Ah! Even though I have no heart. Yohohoho!" Brook laughed, "But yes. I did get the rubbing of the Poneglyph and Pedro-san is with us as well."

"Amazing!" Nana breathed.

"Ah! How is Pudding-chan?" Sanji asked and Nana heard a small gasp in the background, "Is she doing okay?"

"Yeah. Her, Brulee, and the train guy are under control," Nami said, "Man, I was so surprised to see that we captured her. Is she really as bad as Chopper said she is?"

"Yes," Nana said and shot Sanji a look in case he wanted to say otherwise.

"We saved everyone and now we're all inside the mirror," Chopper reported, "The only ones missing are you guys."

"Really?! I'm impressed! Good job, everyone!" Luffy said.

"Your compliment doesn't make me happy, you fool!" Chopper squealed.

"Fool!" Carrot piped in.

"Did you and Sanji reach an agreement then?" Pedro asked.

"En," Luffy said, "Listen up, guys...Sanji's not leaving."

"WHAT?!"

Luffy grinned. "He wants to stop the wedding so we're going to crash Big Mom's tea party and save Sanji's family. After that, then Sanji'll be back with us."

"Oy! Luffy! I don't want to risk everyone- I mean, Nami-san and Pudding-chan's life over a personal issue!" Sanji shouted.

"But Nana's is okay?" Chopper couldn't help but ask.

"I can handle it," Nana grinned.

"Are you saying I can't?!" Nami roared, "I'll have you know, you mechanical freak, that I was the one who helped Luffy in that forest. I was the one who got locked up in the library and threatened with torture. You're not the only one who has been through the ringer!"

"Fine, fine," Nana conceded.

"W-W-Wait..." Sanji said as he walked closer to the mirror, "Nami-san...Are you saying...you're okay with this? Going up against Big Mom? Helping...me?"

"OF COURSE, YOU IDIOT!" Chopper blubbered before Nami could answer, "We were so worried when we heard you and Luffy got into a big fight! You idiot. IDIOT!"

"BIG IDIOT!" Carrot and Brook chorused.

"Alright, Luffy..." a deep voice rumbled out and Nana smooshed her face against her captain's to get a better look at the mirror.

"JIMBEI?! Is that really you?!" she asked.

"Oh yeah...I forgot to tell you," Luffy laughed, "Jimbei was the one that broke me and Nami out."

"What?!" Nana exclaimed.

"It's good to see you, Nana," Jimbei said, "But first things first...Luffy, now that we know what we need to do, we have to figure out how to do it. It won't be easy. Even though we're not aiming to take Big Mom down, she always looks forward to those tea parties. By crashing it, we'll unleash the Emperor's wrath. On top of that, I think you guys have already faced various Ministers and Executives on the island but there will be even tougher ones attending the tea party. Not to mention the underground rulers that have been invited as guests...And we'll be facing it with only 13 of us."

"OY! Don't count us in!" Pudding, Brulee and Diesel huffed.

"Luffy, I've already everyone in the mirror but I need to share some information with you," Jimbei continued, "You know Capone 'Gang' Bege, right?"

Less than an hour later, Sanji, Nana, and Luffy found themselves standing in front of the lair of one of the shadiest members of the Worst Generation. Bege's fortress sat in the northwest region of Whole Cake Island and it overlooked a sharp cliff. Stone steps led up to the front gates that had "FIRE TANK" chiseled overhead.

"Almost there, Nana," Sanji murmured as he held the mechanic in his arms It was clear how exhausted she was and so he had insisted on carrying her to give her a moment's rest, "We'll get Chopper to take a look at you right away."

"Oy...So what kind of guy is Bege?" Luffy asked as they raced up the stairs.

"You heard Jimbei. Think of him as a scheming and brutal mafia boss," Sanji said.

Before they reached the top steps, the doors creaked open and Vito came out to greet them with his tongue wagging, "Ah! My hero! Vinsmoke Sanji of Ger-"

"Out of my way, you bastard," Sanji snarled as he raced right past the gunman and into the white and polished marble foyer, "CHOPPER! Are you here?!"

"Oh! Luffy! Sanji! Na-AHHHHHHH! What happened to Nana?!" Chopper screamed, dropping the milk carton he was holding and running down the grand stairway to his nakama.

Sanji lowered Nana to the floor as the doctor went to work.

"She's mostly tired but she has two bullet wounds. One in her shoulder and one in her leg," Sanji said as he knelt beside her, "When...When was the last time she took a sedative? Could she still be feeling the side effects of that asshole, Caesar's, drug?"

"Maybe," Chopper said.

"WOOOOOOF!"

Pygmy skidded through the room and he smashed right into Luffy, knocking the rubber man to the ground. The dog scrambled to his feet and hurriedly went over to nuzzle his master's face.

"She's stable," Chopper said, "Quick. Pygmy! Let's take her to the bath house. Sanji. Luffy, you two should go take a bath too."

"Too?" Sanji and Luffy blinked and that's when they noticed the towel draped over the reindeer's shoulders and the steam exuding out from his furry body.

"This is no time for relaxing!" Luffy scolded, "How can you take it easy at a time like this? And you don't even like to bathe!"

"No..." Vito said as he walked into the room, "You all must take a bath-rero. Father doesn't see anyone who is dirty."

"Of all the..." Sanji scowled but then he looked down at Nana, "Fine. Let's take Nana to the lady's bath and-"

"Pygmy and I can take her!" Chopper snapped, "You and Luffy can go to the men's bath. Nami and Carrot are still in the lady's bath so they can help me with Nana."

Sanji's nostrils flared. "Na-Nami-san is taking a bath too?"

Thwack!

Suddenly, Sanji found himself sprawled on the floor by a leg sweep from the mechanic, who had one eye opened.

"Easy there, tiger. I'm tired...Not deaf."

"S-Sorry, Nana," Sanji said as he crawled over to her and held her hand in his. He gave the back a kiss before lifting her up and draping her over Pygmy's back, "I'll see you in a bit but call for me if you need me."

Nana nodded and the dog trotted off with the reindeer at his side. Then Chopper stopped short, turned around, and ran back to Sanji. He hurled himself at the cook's legs and he held him tightly.

"I'm-I'm so glad you're coming back with us. For real this time! I was...I was really worried!"

Sanji stared at the top of the reindeer's head for a moment and then he smiled warmly at it. Sanji patted the reindeer on the back of the head. "I'm sorry for putting you through that, Chopper. I'll never do that again."

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

102 4 2
Her eyes cast low into an indistinct expression as she asks hesitantly, "You're... a pirate?" "Yup!" Luffy chirps, happily. "Why would...," Her words...
1.4K 41 3
Hannah's life took a turn for the worst when she was ten. Now, seventeen she had been in her own hell for seven years. When she passes out one day, s...
76.8K 3.4K 31
"From wherever he was right now, Luffy was giving her life a meaning." Airi and Luffy shared the same hometown, from the day they met, they immediate...
1.2K 308 102
Emotions are dangerous. Travelling the sea is dangerous. Being a pirate is dangerous. What could go wrong combining the three? The Straw Hat Pirates...