An Abnormal Like Me - A Levih...

By GorcLine

The story of the sunken Captain of the Survey Corps forced to work with the crazy Head of the Science Divisio... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Finale

Part 5

3.5K 98 128
By GorcLine

With little regard I throw open Erwin's door. Predictably he is sitting at his desk which is a strewn with maps and blueprints. He places his pen down, clasps his hands together and stares at me. "Ah, Levi. Troubling news. The higher ups in the military aren't pleased with the amount of funds going into the new Science division."

"Tch, they want us to beat the titans but they aren't willing to pay for it." Damn bureaucrats.

Unblinkingly Erwin continues "They want results that they can see. They have called for a demonstration in the capital... within two weeks. You and Hange will need to accelerate the work."

Two weeks? They were supposed to have two months to work on it. I can tell by Erwin's unenthused demeanour that this decision was against his gut feeling but he was compelled to obey it.

"Anything else." I say to him, walking out of the office.

He calls back "Inform Hange of the situation."

Back to her filthy office, I guess.

"IN TWO WEEKS?!?" Hange screamed falling off her chair.

I look down at her scrambling on the floor and add "What's the matter four-eyes? Haven't you already designed most of the it?"

She violently twists her head in my direction, her eyes bulging from their sockets, and with a panicked whisper she says "You haven't seen the paperwork..."

I roll my eyes. Absolute child, it can't be that bad.

I almost fall backwards at the sight of the mound of paper. A giant tree's worth of paper forming an unscalable cube of bureaucracy. The citadel of paper awash with personnel forms and various others checks and balances approving the use of such weapons as the 'Multi-Stage Harpoon Titan Detainment Cannon'. I rub my eyes, just removing the possibility that this is some kind of illusion or hallucination. I look back at Hange, who bore the solemn look of a soldier at peace with their own demise. Staring down the barrel of their foe content with the bleak void that awaited them.

Her face drooped into a frown as she turned to me. "C'mon Shorty we better get started then..."

As she started lumbering over to the mountain of work, I place my hand on her shoulder. "We are not doing it in your office idiot. I know somewhere much cleaner."

I watch with bemusement as Hange lugs around half the documents, positively collapsed by the time we arrived in the basement. I plant my stack on the huge table with ease. The dingy room is surrounded by an impenetrable wall of granite brick work. The grey almost metallic hue of the stonework contrasted the golden glow of the candle light.

"Wow, it's so big. I didn't even know we had a basement." Hange remarked lapping the vast table.

"Yeah, well we do. No-one knows about it, so I use it to relax. I thought it would be better than your mangy office."

Hange punched the air, "This will be the perfect place to scythe through these papers."

8:00 pm

I scratch my signature on another form and slap onto my pile. I whimper internally at the woeful scale of my efforts. I look over at Hange's pile which was slightly loftier than mine but childishly sloppy. "Tch Shitty Glasses, how can anyone understand your hand writing. It's appalling."

She flops her hands in the air "At least I don't spend all my time on it. Look at your stack of papers. You have wasted so much time that it too is unusually short."

A vein flares in my temple as I glare at her. She slumps back into her work

I go over one of the forms she has already written on. A windy maze of chicken scratch and hieroglyphics. "Oi Four-eyes. What does that say?"

Hange adjusted her glasses and scanned her finger along the parchment. "Detain. I do my t's like this and my e's like that.

I have a terrible feeling that over the course of the night I might learn her entire irritating alphabet.

10:00 pm

The work continues. I have become so detached from the experience that it is almost automatic. I cannot wait until I this irritating assignment is over. I didn't join the Survey Corps to fill out forms. I had become transfixed with my pencil, my eyes glazing over as I procrastinated. I was shaken from my stupor when that other squad leader Mike appeared in the door frame. He was another tall bloke who had a long fringe obscuring his eyes. He didn't say a word as he sat at the other end of the table with his own little stack of papers. I stared at him and he met my gaze. At this point Hange shot up and called over "Glad to see you Mike. This is Captain Levi. He is overseeing our work."

I turn my gaze to Hange. Shooting her an unimpressed face. She replied "What? I invited him." The basement always felt like my place, dutifully clean and away from all those idiots. I let her come here and she goes along and invites her friends without a second thought. Mike made his way over to me, prompting me to stand up to him. He leaned over and took a long sniff.

"Mike is the strong silent type. I thought you would like him." Rattled on Hange.

Atop his titanic frame and his gigantic head, a little smile formed. "I have seen you fight. I like you, Captain."

"Tch, I have seen you too. Impressive." We shook hands. The force of the shake could have crumbled stone but we just stared unblinking at one another. Hange stared in awe at the unspoken bond, like it was a once upon a generation experience. We went back to our work. Mike was ok to come down here.

12:00 am

The tea cups clink together as Hange places them on the table. "Does it pass?" She asked nervously as I sipped the beverage. The unmistakable rich yet bitter flavour of some well brewed black tea. I lightly smile and say "Not bad." After impressing on her the total seriousness and demanding specifications of my tea. It was a refreshing change to not be annoyed. She smiled jubilantly as she slid a cup down the table to Mike which he caught with a huge swipe.

Hange immediately gets back to whining. "We have been at this for four hours! And look, we have only made it halfway. Damn the higher ups. I need more time for the work of art I am crafting!" Hange lolled on the table, lying face down amidst the papers.

Another bid for attention. I was ensnared by curiosity. Not from the work but about her. The way she lives, like no-one is watching. She says whatever annoying thoughts drift threw her head. I silently observe her rolling off the table and onto the floor. She is a leader in the Survey Corps and yet she acts so childishly.

"Do you really think this will work? This machine." I ask, looking over the design. The array of cannon like barrels and lines of wire all seem quite over the top, but then again so did 3D-manoeuvre gear once.

She sighed admitting "I don't know. For all these drawings and prototypes, I have no idea whether this will work in the field. But that doesn't matter. If we don't do anything then we will be annihilated by the Titans. Only through innovation can we beat such an indomitable enemy." I was transfixed with her conviction. The whole world seemed to be drowned out. All I could see, illuminated by the fiery glow of the candles, was her.

Her expression shifted, her eyes wide and hungry. "Titans... I can't wait to get my hands on one." She slobbered clasping her hands together. "Woohoo, finally we can examine them on my terms." I forgot; it still was Hange.

"Quiet titan freak. We still got shitty work to do." I drily retorted.

"C'mon Levi you should be a little more excited. Who knows maybe Erwin will put you in charge of giving it a bath!" Hange responded with a sly smile.

Mike chuckled.

Hange cackled.

I even smiled.

It wasn't a big smile or a proud smile but it was there.

2:00 am

The hellish work stretched out before us like running laps of the walls. Bleak, infinite and depressingly dreary. We were all scrambling through document after document clinging to the dream of not having to do paperwork for another hour. Even I find myself laying my head on the table, my very body begging to do anything else. I look over at Hange.

After combing her hair and giving it a quick trim, all there was left to do was to braid it appropriately. Any job was better than more writing. The fell of her long greasy hair was more akin to sheep wool but... it didn't feel too bad. Somehow soft and silky. She looked up at me with a groggy smile. "If I ever go to a fancy ball, I'll get you to do my hair..."

"Tch, if you always do it that bad then I won't have much choice, idiot."

Trading parts of hair with one another I easily created a simple and effective way of keeping all her hair together. Feeling satisfied with my efforts I look over at the paperwork. I look over at Mike.

"Your hair looks pretty shaggy, Mike."

4:00 am

My eyelids are heavy but they do as they are told. I am completely drained of everything. A hollow husk phoning in my signature more and more. When I started eight hours ago, I read the forms, just to make sure what I was signing. But that was eight hours ago. My hand is shaky and sore. It spasmed on the table like a sleep deprived spider. The others weren't faring much better. Mike was sitting bolt upright and dead still. Hange's head dropped into her arms. Irritated by this I begin tapping her on the head, violently waking her up. She readjusts her glasses, looking at me, when I say "Oi this is your paperwork. Don't you dare fall asleep."

She rolled over onto her other side away from me. "Oh c'mon, this sucks." She groaned "I'm surprised you are still awake. I thought I was the one good at pulling all-nighters."

"Tch, I am used to it. Most nights I only get a couple hours of sleep." I grumbled back.

"Damn insomnia sounds like a bitch..." Burbled Hange into the table. "What do you even do?"

I keep my face blank and reply "None of your dammed business." Why did I admit this to the Squad Leader? It must be fatigue getting to me. I shift my focus back to my writing, vacantly staring at the page. It's none of her concern what I do. Its not like anyone would care.

But she isn't like anyone.

I look back at her form and ask 'Do you really want to know?" I wait for a response but get nothing. "Tch" Feeling put out, I re continue my efforts with the diminishing pile of pages.

Why would she not be interested? Or quiet for that matter? Something is wrong. I walk over to her other side. She was fast asleep, dribbling on her sleeve. That was it.

6:00 am

The brilliant light of dawn fails to enter the basement, still illuminated by dying fierce candles. I look over the huge, messy stack of paperwork fully completed. I stare at it, my face cold and lifeless. I slouch in my chair, a habit I never take part in on normal circumstances, and think. There are no words, just the knowledge that the job is finally done. Forever

I barely notice the knock on the door. Hange's assistant Moblit and Mike's second in command Nanaba had come to retrieve their superior officers after they dropped off the radar last night. I hear one of them say "Why didn't she tell me about all this. It's kinda the boring job I get stuck with."

"She's making you redundant. You better look for a new job." Nanaba giggles to Moblit stopping when they see me watching them.

Moblit jumps with surprise while Nanaba whispers "Sorry Captain Levi if we woke you." I can't be bothered reacting, so I just keep staring. They gently wake Sleeping Beauty and also Hange. She somehow keeps her eyes shut, lolling her head to one side, and blindly sleepwalking away leaning on her little mouse of an assistant.

Why didn't she get Moblit to help her with the paperwork? Why did she make me do it? It's not like anyone would consider this a pleasant way to spend time.

The door closes and I am left alone. The whoosh of the closing door blows out one of the candles. The room is cast in an eerie shadow. The god-awful box ticking may be done but I still feel glum. I think back to earlier in the night, when I was wasting time with Hange and Mike. I listened to her shitty jokes. She didn't seem to mind my insults. I stare at her empty chair with seemingly alien sense of longing.

It had only been a couple of days with that annoying, loud, messy lady but somehow and for some reason I wanted to be around her. For a moment she brought a drop of colour to my grey world.

The above artwork is another great one from Drinkyourfuckingmilk. It may not relate to the story but it still gave me the idea for this part. Hope you liked it. :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.7K 1.7K 29
Commander Hange has always been known as the titan freak of the survey corps; loud, crazy and to be avoided as much as possible. When a fellow soldie...
13.3K 702 38
*Alternate reality following season 4, part 1. **Some events may not happen because Hanji is now part of Marley and not a part of the Survey Corps Ch...
24.5K 961 20
SAber-VEnom ©AngAuthorNaUlyanin Started: May 29, 2019 Finished: September 13, 2020 Disclaimer: - Not affiliated with MLBB/Moonton - Fanart for the bo...
24.7K 840 26
A story where the vampires our powerful, the humans powerful enough, and the half bloods the strongest and extra species.This story is about a young...