Part 4

(Hange's POV)

Another long day of research done. With any luck, we can start prototyping what I'm calling the Titan Cather 1.0 soon. The schedule for the expedition was doing so well, I finally agreed to go to a meal. Moblit is no fun, it's so much nicer when the food is brought to my office. I enter the stone mess hall. I grab a tray of putrid military soup and bread/concrete (It's kind of hard to distinguish) and scan the room. With glee I quickly identified my newest curiosity.

"Levi! Yo." I waved at him from across the room.

He looked up from his soup. Glared and returned to his soup. Just as cheerful as ever. He was perched at the end of gargantuan table, like a baby frog on a log.

I plonked down my tray in front of him sending waves across my 'dinner'.

"I wanted to say thanks Levi, for helping me clean up my office. I'll tell ya, I haven't been able to see the carpet since..."

"Shut you face, Four Eyes."

It was so funny watching the proud little Captain argue back. He was like an emo kid. "Ha! You like your nicknames. What should yours be Tiny, Grumpy..."

"Tch, call me Levi."

He took a long sip of soup. Clearly not enjoying the flavour but trying to consume it as quick as possible.

"What do you have there?" I asked pointing at his bowl with my spoon.

"Same as you." He shot back.

"I mean what is it? Meat? Vegetable? Titan?" My joke had little effect but in fairness, that was par for the course when it came to my titan humour.

"It is the same military rations as ever."

I took a reluctant sip of the brown liquid, shuddering with disgust. I reminisced to my childhood when we didn't have to live on rations day in, day out. "Hey Levi, do you remember when had real food."

He stayed silent, taking another gulp of grease water.

I took another swig of soup, when he replied

"Why should it matter? I have never had food like that."

My head brimmed with curiosity. A smile snuck its way around my face as I examined Levi's face. His dark beady eyes, and his meticulously preened hairstyle. His strong jawline and splendidly pronounced cheek bones.

"Why? Tell me?"

"No."

"Now that I am curious, you have to tell me."

"If I tell you. Will you shut up?"

I eagerly nodded in his direction.

"I came from the underground with no real family to rely on. So I don't 'remember' what real food is like. "

I was about to spring into another joke but what he said hit hard. Like the temperate and peaceful lily pond being hit by cannon ball.

"I can imagine what that's like." I solemnly thought of the letter my father sent me. "Guess we both know what it's like to be lonely, huh." I lazily looked around the room. I never noticed how much everyone get's along with one another. When you isolate yourself from human contact you never notice how much you miss it. Sometimes the loneliest you can be is in a crowded room.

Levi sat silently drinking his soup, staring at the murky contents. "The only people I see often is my team and that's because they have to. People like us, it is like we have some kind of smell. Something that signifies we are different to the rest. People don't seem to hang around..." I shake myself from stupor; I kind of went on autopilot.

"Sorry about that Levi. I don't know what came over me." I was surprised to see that he was staring in my direction. As if he were actually interested in what I had to say. But who would know what is captured in his silver eyes. What thoughts drown in that sea of mercury?

He mootly replied "Tch you can shut up now."

Looking distastefully at the diluted mud, I slurped another excruciating spoonful.

"Tch. Don't drink it like that. Idiot."

Another devilish smile wrapped around my face, brimming with the prospects of mischief.

"What like this." Taking a violent and vocal sip. "Or like this." I got as close to his face as possible, crawling over the bench. It was all going according to plan until a misplaced breath there and an errant swallow somewhere else. I inadvertently shotgun blasted Levi with the putrescent concoction.

Without even realising that I had moved, I felt the impact of the floor with my face. My body keeled over, as I looked up at Levi (for a change).

"Aaagh... Levi that really hurt." I moaned as the pain caught up with me.

"How filthy." He strode away out of the mess hall with a small sea of onlookers whispering.

I shout back at him "Maybe I should make this a regular occurrence. Like a date!" That would teach him for clobbering me. Something that would get right up his nose.

None the less I couldn't help supress a devious smile. There was something about him. Something dangerous and mysterious. Something inhuman. Something abnormal, that was just fascinating. I can't wait to get some more data from him.