Anikaa & The Mystery of the P...

Per adhyakrish

Anikaa Mehra, a multi-millionaire artist finds a riddle hidden inside a painting which is not only the clue t... Més

Preface
1. Engagement of Prashant & Naina
2. The Invitation
3. The Midnight Guest
4. The Illusion
5. The Ride
6. Nishant's Flight
7. Invitation Reminder
8. The Sturrocks
9. The Black Maze
10. Strange Happenings
11. Jiyu Unlocked
12. The Research
13. The Riddle
14. Meeting Jiyu Again
15. Involving Raymond
16. Breaking Ice
17. The Gnomons
18. The Spooky Note
20. The Poisonous Dart
21. Meeting Bhagyashree
22. The Second Strike of Gnomons
23. The Parchment
24. Anikaa goes rogue
25. The Attack on Rachel
26. The Howling Forests
27. Realm of Kurupas
28. Pit of Gnomons
29. The Musk Deer
30. Reaching Munnar

19. Meeting Sameera aka Samaira

68 3 0
Per adhyakrish

Next morning, Anikaa woke up at 6am on her own. She climbed out of her bed and looked outside the window, as the first rays of sun shone bright. She walked to the door connecting to the garden and pool and hesitatingly looked around to find Jiyu.

"I'm here Anikaa," said a deep, calm voice from the roof.

Anikaa got out of the room and looked up at the roof where Jiyu was sitting in a lotus- posture levitating high above the rooftop.

"What are you doing there?" asked Anikaa squinting at Jiyu.

"Existing."

"What if someone sees you like this?" said Anikaa ignoring his bon mot.

"You don't remember my words. I told you nobody can see me until I want them."

"Did you see anything at night?"

"Yes, the stars. It was a very clear night yesterday and I enjoyed myself thoroughly. Thank you," said Jiyu smiling.

"And, I think you should get ready now, Raymond is thinking to call you for breakfast at 8," he added.

"I hope you don't hear everything," said Anikaa.

"About last night? Nah! Except he wanted to...uhmm...end the night in a different way," said Jiyu.

"As if I don't know," said Anikaa waving her hand.

As Jiyu said, Raymond called Anikaa to meet her for breakfast at 8. It was still 6.30am and she had a long time until breakfast. She went outside in the garden, unfurled a mat on the grass and sat on it for meditation. She closed her eyes to concentrate on the sounds coming from different directions and heard a distinct scream of peacock, a motor running at a distance, her phone buzzing with notifications and then a faint sound. She concentrated on the sound trying to hear it clearly and then the voice deepened, cold and forbidding-

YOU MUST RETURN WHAT IS NOT YOURS ANIKAAA

Anikaa opened her eyes at once, her face glistening with sweat. She looked around for Jiyu, but he was not there. She scrambled to her feet and went inside, shutting the door. What does she have of theirs? Deep in her thoughts, she went to the bathroom, discarded all her clothes on the floor and went straight underneath the high-pressure shower.

The water felt like spades on Anikaa's silky skin, relieving her nerves and muscles. She stood in the shower for minutes thinking about the Gnomons, letter and the voice. When she stepped out, she made a firm resolute that she will not run scared anymore. It's better to duck than to run.

With a firm determination and newly found strength Anikaa strode through the grand halls of The Oberoi Rajvilas and made her way to the exclusive herb garden where Raymond was supposed to meet her for breakfast. It was 7.30am and a chef was waiting for them for conducting a guided tour, through the herb garden. Anikaa decided to make use of the time assuming that Raymond might not be interested in plants and herbs. She took the tour with the chef, impressed with his succinct knowledge about the various uses of herbs and plants and their medicinal value.

At 8am, Raymond walked in at their table looking around for Anikaa. He didn't have to wait for long as the chef escorted Anikaa to the table. Raymond had promised himself that he will not pay any attention to Anikaa. Thanks, to her snubbing him last night. But, he couldn't take his eyes off her when she walked in a brick-red Maje Ranita satin maxi that drew attention of every male in the premises.

"Damn," groaned Raymond.

"Morning," said Anikaa cheerfully.

"Good morning," he said smiling a bit and offering her the seat.

"So what's the plan for today?"

"We can meet Sameera after breakfast," said Raymond trying his best to avoid looking at her.

After savouring a delicious a mix of Indian and continental breakfast, Raymond summoned the manager. They spoke in a low voice, inaudible to Anikaa and then Raymond turned to her- "She is in Rajwada Library Bar."

"Bar! At this time?" Anikaa frowned looking at the watch.

Raymond chuckled and they left for the Rajwada Library Bar which was in another wing of the hotel.

The first thing Anikaa noticed entering the Rajawada Library Bar was their colonial architecture and a white marble fireplace with fitted leather corner stools. It was a small library compared to the rest of the spaces in hotel and had only one occupant- Sameera Lawrence who was sitting with her back at the entrance. Raymond smiled and walked to the sofa where Sameera was sitting.

"May I have the pleasure of sitting with you Signora?" he asked in a jaunty- cum- charming tone.

Sameera's head whipped towards him at once and she lunged herself on him the very next moment.

"Raymond, what a delightful surprise!"

"What a beautiful, small world we have," she said pecking him on his cheeks.

Apart from her high-pitched singing voice, Sameera had beautiful twinkling icy- blue eyes. Anikaa looked closely at her smiling face. Oops! She was wearing contacts. Her copper hair was tied up in a fluffy ponytail braid which made her apple-face look longer. She was wearing a red coloured floral kaftan dress that enveloped her skinny frame dearly. After greeting Raymond, she turned to Anikaa shrewdly regarding her and said - "You have brought a friend?"

"Yes, she is Anikaa Mehra and Anikaa this is my Aunt Sameera," said Raymond squeezing Sameera's hand.

"Hello," said Anikaa.

"Pleasure...Ballon Blanc De Cartier..," said Sameera looking at the watch in Anikaa's hand.

"She has panache," she said sotto voce near Raymond.

And correction for you, young gentleman- "It's not Sameera anymore, its Samaira now. I just went to this famous astrologer for some advice and he asked me to change the spelling of my name for desired positive effects."

"Don't tell me you still believe in that fraudster," said Raymond indignantly.

"Why not? I also want to be happy, positive, and prosperous in my life," said Samaira pouting.

"If changing spellings could help, many countries should respell their names. It will ease the life of millions. Isn't it?" said Anikaa smirking.

"Hmm...Quite a stimulative suggestion!" said Samaira.

"One hard to ignore," added Anikaa earning Samaira's smile.

"O please sit dear, we can't keep on standing and talking. I'm saving my energy for the auction in the evening. Hope you are attending as well. My eyes are for the famous- 'Indra Rajah's Ruby set," said Sameera rocking on the sofa with glee.

"Well we...," started Raymond but Samaira chimed in again.

"It's my second holiday of the year without my chummybuns. Though I miss them, I do not regret the time I spend alone travelling, reviving my own skin," she said.

"Chummybuns?" asked Anikaa.

"My kids. The eldest, Liam is currently in Cambridge completing his doctorate. He is absolutely gifted in science. The way he talks about...what is that known as now," she said narrowing her eyes, thinking hard "...O yes...microscopic animals is mind-boggling. He has a girlfriend, daughter of mayor Longwall. I don't know when they are going to marry. The second one Tisha is starting her own fashion line...,"

"Sameera....Samaira we are here for a special reason, it's related to mum," intervened Raymond firmly.

"Shalini? What is it?" she asked, sitting upright, all humour gone from her face.

Raymond was about to narrate the full story to her when Anikaa interrupted.

"When was the last time you spoke to her?" asked Anikaa.

Samaira looked from Raymond's confused face to Anikaa's calm countenance. Raymond now knew the meaning of Anikaa's quick cold glance and intervention. She was not trusting Sameera with the story. How can he forget when she told him to keep the story to himself? It seems this morning he had woken from the wrong side of his bed, making silly mistakes.

Samaira gazed at Anikaa as if contemplating whether to answer her or not and then, she said- "Hmm...Let me see now. I spoke to Shalini when she was in Thailand and I was in Morocco. Presuming your next question would be about our conversation," said Samaira importantly "...we talked generally about our families, health, upcoming soirees and most importantly about our vacation. We were planning to visit Iceland again with our girl brigade. Not to mention, Bhagyashree was still to be persuaded for the trip. Ever since, that wretched husband of hers...oh...excuse me, I don't want to talk about him...," said Samaira sipping the wine.

"How did mum sounded to you?" asked Raymond.

"Oh, she was absolutely in high-spirits, her charity event was immensely successful and she was ecstatic to meet King of Thailand who attended the soiree thereafter. After that we didn't talked at all and then I got the news. But why are you asking these questions, is anything wrong?" asked Samaira.

"No, we found a note in mum's diary that she needed to call you about getting some oil," said Raymond making up an excuse.

"Of course... that was argan oil. Infact, I was the one who insisted. But, was she writing a diary? She never told me," said Samaira.

"No, it was just a pocket diary with contact numbers and reminders," said Raymond.

"O yes...I've seen her doing that, that was an old school habit of her," said Samaira.

"But, tell me what do you do Anikaa?" asked Samaira suddenly changing the focus of conversation.

"I'm an artist."

"Businessman and artist make an excellent twosome," said Samaira gleefully and winked at Raymond.

"You know my second husband- Adrian was an artist as well. A bit fussy, with an eye for detail and gave me a hard time in settling the alimony. Men I tell you, can't go with them and can't do without them" growled Samaira but immediately changed back to soft tone. "I thought Isaac, my third son will take upon his craft but he chose scuba diving. Wonder what they do inside the water when the world is up here."

The next half an hour passed in a blur where Samaira did all the talking about her kids, current husband, ex-husbands, vacations and Raymond was pleased when a hotel staff interrupted them reminding Samaira of her spa appointment.

"Got to relax before the event," she said getting up.

She hugged Raymond warmly and then to Anikaa's surprise she squeezed her as well.

"Pleasure, Samaira," said Anikaa.

"Darling, it's Sameera," she winked and sauntered out of the room with her chin held high.

Once Sameera left, Raymond asked- "What do you think?"

"Gosh! I need to breathe," said Anikaa and strode out of the library towards the garden, with Raymond following her.

It was a bright sunny day and they sat under a white-pillared gazebo which was in the hotel estate.

"So..." Raymond prompted.

"I think we should leave for Rishikesh," said Anikaa.

"That's what you have to say after meeting Sameera?" asked Raymond nonplussed.

"Yes. Your mother would never confide in Sameera. I mean she is a good friend, jovial lady with no ill intentions; but she is inadvertently loquacious. I just met her once for roughly an hour and I know all about her ex-husbands, kids, their problems, apparent tantrums, their friends and she could have gone on and on, had she not been intervened," said Anikaa solemnly.

"She is not the one to be trusted with secrets," added Anikaa.

"I think you are right," said Raymond sweating profusely.

"I will call Ross to arrange for our flight," he said.

"Yes, better to move on before you melt away Mr. Snow Prince," smirked Anikaa.

Raymond was about to provide a comment when a khukri, from nowhere flew through the air and stabbed the wing of Anikaa's chair, her face inches away from the sharp blade of the knife.

"What the fuck?" said Raymond looking back in the garden to find the attacker.

Anikaa was stunned, she rose from her seat and within a minute the hotel staff and the security surrounded them.

"It's not ours sir," said the manager examining the knife.

"Check the CCTV, call the police," snapped Raymond.

"I think we should be on our way Raymond," said Anikaa calmly.

"Someone just made an attempt at your life and you want to leave it like that?" asked Raymond furiously.

"Whoever it was, must have fled away," said Anikaa.

"I'm not listening to you. We are reporting to police. That's it," said Raymond, his eyes intense and rage coursing through him.

Anikaa dispersed the crowd at once and held Raymond's hand firmly.

"Raymond it's already 12 and if we report to the police we'll have to spend all day, helping them in inquiries. Moreover, I don't think it's a matter related to police," she said vaguely.

"How can you be so relaxed Anikaa? And what do you mean it's not related to police? Do you know who's behind this?" asked Raymond closely watching her face.

"You are hiding something?" he stressed.

"I have told you everything you need to know," said Anikaa calmly.

The attack on Anikaa confirmed Raymond's doubts that something was still under wraps. However, he conceded on Anikaa's relentless persuasion and moved ahead for making arrangements.

Anikaa was sure that the attack was pertaining to Gnomons. She wouldn't be so calm if she hadn't spotted Jiyu behind the row of eucalyptus trees. When she met his eyes, she heard a faint sound of Jiyu inside her head- KEEP CALM AND PROCEED. Heeding to Jiyu's advice, she didn't press the matter any further.

In the next two hours, their flight was arranged and they departed from the hotel at 2pm. Raymond was constantly on the phone, busy barking orders.

"We've got permission to fly till Delhi but after there we'll have to take car for Rishikesh," he informed Anikaa in the car.

"Why is that?"

"The weather is pretty bad over there; it's been continually raining for last three days. They're not allowing flying."

"Cool with me. Hope you've not booked the hotel," said Anikaa.

"Ron is looking after that."

"Cancel it. We'll stay in my villa," said Anikaa putting on her shades. Time for Rishikesh!

*****************************

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

89.6K 3.5K 32
Shaurya Roy is rich, handsome, and a womanizer. Anika Desai is quiet, reserved, and observant. Shaurya wants to break through his father's boundaries...
Error Per Ramnik Sharma

Misteri / Suspens

7K 1.4K 20
⭐ Among the winners of Indian ONC 2021⭐ ⭐ Featured in Reading List of @MysteryThrillerIN ⭐ I was standing in my balcony when I saw a silhouette of a...
2.3K 267 16
❝The most significant bonds are formed under the most unconventional circumstances❞ In the quiet suburbs of a bustling city, a secret bound Sharan an...
201K 11.8K 79
[COMPLETED ✔] **Featured in the official account of AmbassadorsIN Reading List** Jiyasha Mehta, a final year medical student in Bengaluru, is also a...