Wish (Wishing Well #1)

By Introverted3xtrovert

"I remember everything." Emily ground out. "And you have a lot of explaining to do." "When you picked the CD... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Q&A: Questions
Q&A: Answers
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Original Rough(and Short XD) Beginning of Wish

Chapter 32

260 23 16
By Introverted3xtrovert

Emily bit back a groan as she made her way to the circ desk. She knew that coming back to work meant running into Angela, but Emily hadn't considered that Angela would be at the circ desk waiting for her.  Hearing her approach, Angela stood and turned to face her, wringing her hands in front of her.

"I'm glad to have you back," Angela said softly.  "Did you have fun on your break?"

"Glad to be back," Emily answered brusquely, completely ignoring Angela's question.  Emily knew she was being a jerk.  She knew that she should give Angela a chance to explain herself, but memories of past hurts kept plaguing her mind.  In Emily's experience a liar was always a liar.  As silly as it was she was prescribing to fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Emily moved around Angela, all but ignoring her presence as she put her belongings away and got ready to open the library.  She could almost feel the anxiety rolling off of Angela.  The nervous energy making Emily uncomfortable and anxious herself.

"If you don't mind," Emily said, lowering herself into her chair and waking up her computer. "I need to get to work."

"Oh! Yes.  Of course." Angela exclaimed.  Angela started walking away, pausing as if she had something else to say, before continuing on her way.  Sighing, Emily started her computer and brought up the check out program.  While things were booting up, Emily unlocked the doors to the library. 

Before Emily even had a chance to make it back to the circ desk she heard the door bang open.  Whipping around to see the source of the loud noise, Emily saw Taehyung making his way toward her, other patrons coming in behind him.  A small smile split Emily's face as she continued on her way to the desk, shaking her head at Taehyung's antics. With his long stride, Taehyung reached the desk at the same time Emily sat down.  Emily quirked an eyebrow at him as he smiled down at her.

"I wanted to see how your first day was going!" Taehyung told her, eyes sparkling.

"Well," Emily began, "My shift literally just started and Angela was waiting for me when I got here."

Taehyung sucked in a breath, "That's rough.  Have you talked to her?"

"No." Emily answered flatly.

"I really think you should give her a chance to explain," Taehyung told her, looking around the library. 

Emily groaned, "I know.  I just feel so. . . ." She flailed her hands around, incapable of formulating the words to explain how she felt. Taehyung reached out and grabbed one of her hands.

"I know, but Angela has been your friend for a long time.  It hurts that she kept something from you, but I think you need to consider why she did it."  Taehyung said, patting her hand.  "You forgave me after hearing my explanation and you haven't known me half as long as you've known Angela."

Emily's head fell back, a groan slipping past her lips. "I know!! I know, I know.  Look.  I'll try.  I promise I will."

"Good!" Taehyung exclaimed, releasing her hand.  "I'll see you later tonight!  I have to go now!"

Emily watched him leave, tripping over his feet and bumbling into things as he went.  This guy she thought fondly. Emily's train of thought was suddenly interrupted when someone approached the desk.

"How can you stand him?" one of the patrons muttered as she placed her returns on the counter.  Emily shot her a confused look.

"Who?" Emily asked, looking around for the source of the girl's annoyance. 

"Him,"  the girl spat, jerking her thumb over her shoulder.  Emily looked past the disgruntled girl in front of her and saw Taehyung making his way toward the exit.  When he reached the doors, he turned and waved at her before leaving. 

"Taehyung?" Emily asked, arching an eyebrow.

"If that's his name, then yes." the girl huffed. Emily pulled the books off the counter and pulled up the program she used to check out and check in books.  That anyone could dislike Taehyung completely baffled her.  She hadn't known him that long, but her gut, which was usually correct, said that Taehyung was the same person with everyone else that he was with her.

"He's usually very sweet," Emily said gently.  "What did he do that was so terrible?"

The girl, Lily, Emily saw on the computer screen as she scanned the first book, looked at her, mouth agape.  "You're kidding, right?"  Emily took the books she scanned and moved them to the returns cart, rolling her eyes once her back was to the girl.

"No, actually I'm not." She answered, dropping the books onto the cart harder than necessary.  Emily turned to face Lily, taking in her perfect posture and neat as a pin hair and clothes.  "Do you actually have a reason to dislike him?  Or are you just a snob?"

Lily's jaw dropped at Emily's harsh tone and part of her immediately wished she could take it back.  Another part of her, the fiercely protective part of her didn't regret anything she said, but the horrified gasp from behind her made her cringe in shame nonetheless.

"Emily!" Angela said, horror apparent in her voice.

"What?" Emily sniped back, as she whipped around.  "She's making snap judgements about someone that's precious to me and she has yet to give me any reason for why she can't stand him."

"That's no reason to--" Angela started before Lily cut her off.

"You want a reason?" Lily asked through gritted teeth, hands fisted at her side.  "I don't like him, because every time I see him he's lost in the clouds, running into things and causing general chaos!"

Emily opened her mouth to respond, but Lily brought up a hand, cutting her off.

"And he's nothing but a disgusting playboy!  One who has obviously got you under his spell!" Lily spat, crossing her arms in irritation.

Emily gaped at Lily.  Taehyung?  A playboy?  And I'm under his spell?

"What on earth are you talking about?" Emily asked in a quiet voice.  She couldn't make heads or tails of anything Lily was talking about.

Lily shook her head and closed her eyes.  Tipping her head back, she drew in a deep breath muttering something along the lines of "You poor little fool" before fixing her gaze on Emily.

"He's playing you." She said bluntly. "He's surrounded by a gaggle of girls all the time and they all fall all over themselves to talk to him.  You're not the only one he flirts with."  Emily didn't even know how to respond to that. 

"Wait," Angela broke in.  "Who's Taehyung?  I thought you were seeing Jimin."

Emily's head snapped toward Angela at that and her eyes narrowed.  "That's none of your business.  Jimin and I aren't on speaking terms anymore.  I'm sure that's no shock to you."  Hurt flashed across Angela's face at the bite in Emily's words. 

"I see." Angela said, calmly.  Without another word, she turned and went back to her office.

"Seriously?" Lily said, nose snarled and lip curled as she looked Emily over.  "And you preached at me for being snobby."  The ache in Emily's chest intensified.  She hadn't made up with Angela yet, she was inexplicably missing Jimin, and now she'd made a total butt of herself trying to defend her only friend.

Emily's mouth opened and closed as she tried to find the words to say.  What do you say to a total stranger to explain why you're acting crazy? Sorry, that was my best friend who's actually a fairy?  My life has been a mess because the only guy who I've had any interest in in years was lying to me and probably isn't even actually interested in me and the only person I really consider a friend is actually a shifter? 

Lily shook her head at Emily's inability to speak and pivoted away from the desk.  She'd only made it a few steps when Emily found her voice.

"Lily!" she called out.  The few patrons trying to study glared over at her for raising her voice.

"What?" Lily snapped, turning to face her. 

Emily hung her head and drew a deep breath in through her nose, exhaling out her mouth before responding, "I'm sorry."

Lily scoffed, "Sure.  Whatever."  She turned and started walking away again.

"No.  Wait!" Emily called again, making her way around the circulation desk to chase after the girl. When she reached Lily she got in front of her, halting her progress.  "I am so, so sorry for my rude behavior."

Lily's gaze flicked over Emily as she considered her.  Emily pushed on before she could leave again.

"I know it's no excuse, but my life has been a complete and utter mess lately.  I shouldn't have judged you so harshly and I shouldn't have made assumptions." Emily told her, gaze shifting to her scuffed high tops. "Taehyung is the only person in my life I trust right now and it really ground my gears for someone to judge him so harshly.  I'm sorry that I turned around and did the very same thing to you."

Silence stretched between the girls.  Emily wanted to crawl out of her skin waiting for Lily's response and almost collapsed when the girl answered in a much kinder tone than she'd been using originally.

"I forgive you," Lily said.  "I understand having tough times, and I understand feeling like you have no one else you can count on.  I shouldn't have been so hard on him for being an airhead, but I still can't stand a playboy."

With that, Lily stepped around Emily and made her way out of the library.  Emily watched her go and shook her head in disbelief. 

"Airhead?  Playboy?" she muttered darkly as she made her way back to the desk. "Just who does she think she is?"

After a moment, all of Emily's irritation drained out of her and guilt took its place.  She'd promised Taehyung she would try with Angela and once again she'd been snappy and rude.  Hanging her head, Emily took a few deep breaths.

"I'm better than this," she whispered.  "I"m not this angry, spiteful person.  Why am I being like this?"

Sitting up, Emily looked across the library to Angela's office.  If things were how they should be she could just walk over there and talk with her friend, but because of her own stubbornness she found herself incapable.  I want to make things right.  I want my friend back. 

Filled with sudden determination, Emily stood and made her way to Angela's office.  When she raised her hand to knock, she could hear Angela's voice on the other side of the door, cheerfulness and giggles pouring through the wood that separated them.  Suddenly, ridiculously, her determination dwindled and she found herself walking back to her desk. Insecurity gnawed at her insides.  I would hate to bother her, and she sounds so happy today; I would hate to ruin that after how rude I've been.  Heaving a sigh, Emily returned to her desk and swore to herself that tomorrow she would try again.

Enjoy!  Sorry that it's kind of long.  Also, sorry that this isn't the best chapter I've ever written.  I purple you all!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5M 164K 59
[ PARK JIMIN ] "Are you sure it's just empathy? Are you sure you're not feeling... attracted to me?" There was a shift in his voice as it became more...
12.2K 1.9K 50
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Tho...
122K 5.1K 67
THIS STORY IS INSPIRED BY THE STORY TITLED: THE BOY IN THE MIRROR BY @aalayahupson I LOVE THAT STORY BECAUSE IT WAS SO UNIQUE AND I REALLY LOVE IT...
958K 53K 68
"We become the monsters we're most afraid of." --- "Jimin," she breathed out. "You're allowed to touch me." His plump lips slightly parted as a gasp...