Deceit. [COMPLETED.]

By Johnuri62

One death. One missing child. One act of betrayal. Three ingredients for the perfect act of revenge. Kirk A... More

COPYRIGHT:
Chapter 1:
Chapter 2:
Chapter 3:
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter16
Chapter17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23:
Chapter 24:
Chapter 25:
Chapter 26:
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Author's Note

Chapter 49

85 14 182
By Johnuri62

"Trouble PART TWO"

'They said that you are mixed up in some sort of conspiracy son. They're searching your house. Cheryl tried to get hold of you but you weren't available so she managed to get a message to your mother and I'

'So where is she now?'

'Upstairs with a Sergeant son and I'm telling you now, she's not in a good mood and I have to say I don't blame her. Your friend is dead and you are on the other side of the world. It ain't right son and now this.'

Guilt and anger merged into a cauldron of confusion as I tried to control my emotions. My dad was right. Not once had I tried to phone my parents and not once had I tried to phone Elaine to say that I was sorry.

And then it hit me.

Paris.

In a flash, I could see the body slumped on the ground, blood oozing from its side and I frantically tried to think of what to say. Self-preservation kicked in as my head began racing with all imaginary nightmare scenarios but if they were looking for a murder weapon then surely they wouldn't find it at home because it was left at the scene.

I took in a deep breath, holding on to it for a few seconds before slowly exhaling. My dad was talking again but all I could hear were a few brief words of half sentences. Something about bank accounts, foreign currency. It didn't make any sense.

What had that got to do with Paris?

'Kirk.' My father's voice was trying to penetrate through the fog. 'Kirk – son, are you there?'

I was beginning to feel thirsty, my mouth was dry and every time I swallowed, I could feel my Adams apple pushing into my throat.

'Kirk!'

This was her brother's fault. Everything – this whole fucking nightmare was down to him and now I was paying the price for my stupidity.

'Kirk answer me son. Your mum is worried. This job. It just isn't you son. Your friend is lying in a mortuary and now you've got police in your house. I'm worried. I don't know who this lady boss of yours is but she doesn't seem to have your best interests at heart believe me.'

His last statement annoyed me. They were all wrong about Max only they were too blind to see her for who she really was. I asked him to go and get Cheryl. In fact I shouted it down the phone.

'If you do just one decent thing in your life dad then get me my FUCKING wife!'

I know he didn't deserve it but my world was falling apart and all I could think of was that it was all down to a man I had never met.

Why he chose me I don't know but it felt as if I was at war.

'Hello?'

It was my wife. I tried to calm down.

'Darling. What's going on?'

'What's going on?' Her voice was full of anger. 'You tell me. I don't know what you're playing at but I'm telling you here and now that whatever you've been up to you are not going to drag this family down with you.'

'But I've done nothing wrong!'

'They said it was in connection with John's death so I naturally thought they were here to offer condolences but they weren't. How silly of me. They then started to talk about your job as if I give a rats arse about it anymore. They wanted to know every detail.'

There were three police officers in the house. Two men and a woman.

'They wanted to know how you came by your job. Who employed you. Why you left your last job and yes I told them that once they have that answer then they can tell me because I haven't a fucking clue anymore.'

I tried to process all that she was saying but the more my wife spoke the more I felt overwhelmed.

'They then wanted to know if I was alright. Did we need any money.'

'Money?'

'Yes. Money. I said we were okay. Then they asked why you weren't on board when John was killed and again I reiterated what I said earlier that if they know that then I would like to know too.'

I was getting even more confused.

I could hear Cheryl's voice steadily rising.

'They wanted to know what were you doing in Germany. They wanted to know why you went to Paris. They wanted to know why you weren't at home with your fucking wife and again oh stupid me, I had no fucking idea did I?'

She paused for a response but I was still trying to process everything.

I was then told a search warrant had been presented.

'A search warrant Kirk. Our house is being ransacked by thugs in uniform because my husband is on the other side of the world fucking his bitch of a boss instead of being at home with his real wife. Our house Kirk! They are up stairs this minute going through all of Elizabeth's clothes to see if we can afford them. They have even taken away her Computer Kirk; her fucking computer. Damn you. It's got all her school work on it. How the hell is she going to cope without it? You tell me. How the hell is she going to be able to finish her projects because she's got everything saved on it.'

She hesitated. I thought she was giving me another opportunity to say something but it was only to draw breath.

'I just hope you have answers because this is it, the final straw and how you think you can still be out there with that fucking bitch while John's body is still warm I have no idea. They are looking at my clothes Kirk. God, do you know how that feels? No you wouldn't would you. You never do... Germany? Paris? I daren't tell them about the photos though they probably already know. It's not right. It just isn't right.'

I doubt I could have felt any lower. I waited for her to finish and then with all the strength I had left, I tried somehow to explain.

'Sweetheart. What ever you, dad, or mum think, I am not having an affair. You are my life darling and I am coming home. We are booked on the first flight out of here this evening. That is what I thought this phone call was all about. To discuss arrival times back in England and I tell you now on my life that I'm finished with Stamford's. I mean that. Whatever the police think I did wrong then I will face it. I was not on board because yes I was here trying to find the real Jupiter, as I was in Germany and Paris, and then yes as I was in Naples.'

I paused then wondering whether she knew about Naples but so much had been going on I had no idea what I had said to her. I waited a few more seconds and listening only static I continued at a pace.

'Yes, there is a conspiracy my darling. We know that. Miss Stamford and I were in an office only an hour ago and found proof that there is a conspiracy.' I made sure I kept everything formal. 'John helped me darling because he was a good friend and I am helping Miss Stamford because she has become a friend too - but we are done. Yes we came out here to find proof and we got it my darling and if the Police think that I am part of some elaborate conspiracy then they are only doing their job and when I get home I will prove my innocence and then when we're done I will resign. In fact,' I added quickly hoping to appease my wife even more, 'I will find a new vocation. I will leave the sea altogether and I'll look for another job, one that is less stressful. One that doesn't involve any thinking.'

I tried to be uplifting and then asked exactly what it was that I was being charged with.

'Did they say what it was that I am supposed to have done?'

'Embezzlement.'

'Embezzlement? How is that possible? With what?'

'I don't know! They won't tell me.'

'So am I being arrested as dad says?'

I heard a sigh.

'They didn't say.' And then suddenly. 'Do you think you should be? Is that it?'

'No it's not my darling,' I tried to stay calm. 'I am just trying checking to understand. How can I embezzle something when I am stuck out here? You need to be a stockbroker or some kind of genius don't you to embezzle and you know my darling I'm not one of those.'

'I haven't a clue what you are these days.'

She was beyond any attempt at reasoning. My wife started to talk of life without me and how I had dragged them all down into the gutter and that it had been the worse decision in her life to have ever wanted to have married me.

I didn't know what to say. And then.

'Damn you Kirk, if you are lying to me. If you have so much as uttered one lie then we are finished do you hear me? We are finished.'

I assured her with my life that I hadn't been lying to her and as we ended the conversation, I was told again about the man we had both met in London.

'He called before the Police arrived. He said it was urgent but I think I was a bit abrupt with him....'

I told her it was understandable under the circumstances and that I would phone him as soon as I was able. I told her again that I was sorry and that I loved her and that I had never set out to hurt anyone and , just as important, I was sorry that John had died.

I also asked that she tell the police I would be landing sometime tomorrow and that I would get the arrival time to them later.

It was a desperate plea to the woman I loved and I don't know how much of what I had said had actually sunk in but I left her in a very subdued manner and that hurt.

I came away dejected with my head held low finding solitude in the hotel gardens and it must have been early evening when I decided to seek the companionship of the one person who would understand.

I went to find Max.

  +   +   +   +   +   +   +   +   +   +   +

So wow!  What does that all mean?

Is the net finally closing in around him?

Embezzlement?

Guess Cheryl is angry. Has she had enough do you think?

And what is with this man from London?  Why the constant phone calls?

Your comments as always make my day :)

Take care.
JU.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.2K 2K 44
It's a deadly plan, and it goes like this: First, become a crew member of the Avourienne, a pirate ship notorious for its charismatic captain and wic...
1.5K 635 49
SECRETS AND LIES BOOK FOR PRETTY LITTLE LIARS FANS Lying and holding secrets comes to us naturally, as natural as breathing and looking on either sid...
6.2K 661 55
"The fact that I was murdered didn't come as a surprise; it was the fact that it hadn't happened sooner which shocked me." High school senior, Caitly...
644 1 16
The 4th book in The Lies Series. Now that they have UnMasked yet another texter, that is a big one. Red, they have one more Big Texter to dead with...