Renovatio

By scolric

We have died. In a previous image. When we were completely unaware Of the self-known as "I". We had abandon... More

Foreword
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
The Metamorphoses
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2

Part 2

350 32 3
By scolric

They stood cautiously, some behind others taller than them, some peaking through windows and doors that weren't fully closed. While others were out in the open, arms folded and presence loud. The guards might not have looked it, but they kept watch over, waiting for any unexpected movement.

The carriages lined up straight into the village square. Every androgyne and sorcerer positioned in the middle. The Oracles stood behind them, the majority green and purple robes flapping in the wind. Most had the scars on their faces, marks of survival. There was a group in the corners, near the food vendors, dressed in different shades of red. Their eyes were closed but their murmurs present. Prayers. Eon glanced at them curiously, having seen similar scenes on his way through the capital.

"This is quite a welcoming son," he looked over the square, estimating how many were watching, "You'd give Busara a run for her money."

Heads flinched at the name, "What is the reason for this visit?" asked Jimin

"Could we perhaps talk in private," Eon smiled at Kali and Devlin.

"Sure, we can go to my hut," said Jimin and stepped ahead. Everyone watched as the two walked towards his quarters. Though Eon's back was more slouched and his dress decadent their resemblance was uncanny. It brought forward, a truth many forgot. Jimin was the king's son, forest folk mother or not, a part of him would always be royalty.

...Shapes hovered before her as she forced the blur away. Ashes. The stench was revolting, making her body react. Hand onto lips. Blink. Blink. The blur cleared revealing fingers coated in red. Her body reacted again. It made her ears pop open. And the sounds they heard were damning. HELP! HELP ME! Head lifting, she recoiled. TAKE IT BACK! I DON'T WANT TO SEE! But her vision remained clear. Beasts that should not exist, ran rampant, prowling on those who tried to run away. Ashes. A beast in the sky, its mouth releasing flames. Ashes. Its eyes the colour of fire. A beast in front of her. A lion. Black and hungry. Eyes like the one in the sky. Ashes. Black boots in front of her. Gently her chin was lifted. Black braids framed the most beautiful face she's ever seen. Dark brown in complexion, lips full. And eyes a striking orange. Ashes. Like the one in the sky. Ashes. It was lovely. Ashes. But. But. But. But....

"AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! HELP ME! HELP ME!" Dahyun's body crashed down onto the ground as her lungs screamed. Footsteps rushed into her tent, her voice still screeching. Someone sat on top of her, another held down her legs.

"TAKE IT BACK! I DON'T WANT TO SEE!"

A hand slapped her face, but her voice kept on screeching.

"Bring a bucket," said a voice. Murmurs around her. She gripped her hair.

"Hurry!" said another. Her body shook as water was dumped over her. Breaths calming, she saw her tent was full of her unit members. All of whom looked at her in concern.

"Are you alright?" asked a soldier with a ponytail. Dahyun gave an apprehensive nod. Smiling the soldier told the rest to get out of the tent. They all left shortly, glad that Dahyun was fine.

"Come, let me help you clean up," she reached out a hand. Gulping, Dahyun took hold of it, clutching tightly, wanting anything but to be left alone.

"Thank you," said Jaehyun as he took the cup.

"No worries," Ren sat back next to him, placing his own cup on the table.

Stretching his legs Jaehyun sipped. Ren returned to reading the book, its pages crumbly. The large windows provided a path for the sunlight, warming the room. Looking outside, Jaehyun, saw the carriages were still in the square, gold shining. The paths were slightly emptier, but huddles of groups were everywhere. The robes of various Oracles caught his eye.

"Why didn't you go down with the others?"

Ren continued reading, "Because this is more important," he reached for his cup. Facing him, Jaehyun tried again.

"And what is it that we're doing here?"

"Like your father said," Ren smirked, "We're just trying to create archives of ancient spells. As an Oracle, it's essential for me to keep our histories thriving. So that's why I need to be here," he flipped a page.

But Jaehyun knew better. It felt as though they were looking for something particular. Something important. His father even asked him to discharge from the military to help. Still, he felt as though they weren't giving him the full story. What is this for? He wondered. Ren flipped another page. Taking one more sip, Jaehyun decided to keep the black and pink book he'd discovered to himself. It was in a language he couldn't read. But he was going to figure it out. And maybe then, he'd understand what it is his father and the others were really searching for.

Staring out of the window, Eon's lips turned into an impressed smile. He peered over his shoulder, arms folded.

"I'd heard stories about what you are doing here. But it's certainly more than I expected."

Jimin tapped his feet, "Well done son. You're a born leader."

"It was Chae's idea really. I'm just helping where I can."

Eon's back remained towards him, "And how is your sister?"

"You should ask her yourself," Smiling Eon turned around.

"You're right. I should," Jimin attempted to see through him but failed.

"What's going on here? Did you not come for a reason?"

"I came to see you Jim, that's all."

Jimin scoffed, head shaking, "It's been quite some time hasn't it father? But here you are speaking to me as if we went hunting together yesterday."

"Those were good times," chuckled Eon, "Remember when you tried shooting the arrow at a wild buck but hit Sir Donovan's foot instead," Jimin didn't smile, "My that was funny."

"I also remember you hiding away the murders of my mother and kin. Keeping me in the dark for an entire week. Refusing to send help to search for Chaeyoung," Jimin's throat felt dry, "Telling me she must have been dead. That it was be..tter that way," his teeth gritted.

Eon looked at him sadly, "There are many things I've come to regret Jim."

"But why do you insist on reminding Chae that she is one?"

"She isn't."

"Now that is funny," Jimin placed his hands on his hips chuckling "We both know that's not true."

"I don't expect you to believe me," Eon looked at him earnestly, "I came here to set things right Jim."

"How?"

"By spending time with my children," said Eon.

"Time is something you can not return to us father," Jimin bowed his head, "I can't forgive you. Not with the way you've treated my sister. You can't appear here and just think all will be well. That's not how this works."

Eon walked over to him and saw Jimin's eyes were tearful. He didn't know his heart could break any further. But it did. He had to set things right.

"Listen to me Jim," he grabbed hold of his shoulders, a hand on his cheek, "Let me fix this. I'll give you everything you deserve son. I'm sure the pressure of running this village is unbearable. I can help you. I can make things better."

A pained expression came over Jimin's face, his father's words, almost hurtful, "How father? How will you ever be able to do that?"

Eon's hold tightened, "I promise you son, even if it's the last thing I do. Mark my word, I'll fix things between us all. Please believe me,"

A tear fell as Jimin shook his head in disbelief, "But how can I father?" more tears escaped, "When your word was the only thing you never kept?"

"I love you son, at the very least believe that," finished Eon and pulled Jimin into a hug. Reluctantly Jimin let his father hold him, as he cried in frustration. Eyes shutting Eon rocked him gently, making soft promises that he'd never leave them again.

Seeing the ponytail disappear behind the curtains, Chae turned to Dahyun. She sat down, eyes apologetic.

"I'm sorry we didn't get to talk last night Dayday," she placed her hand on her lap, "I got caught up in something."

Dahyun turned on her side, facing her, "Was it the same one?" asked Chae.

"It was more vivid," sighed Dahyun, "Felt more like it was actually happening," she gulped, "to me."

"What did you see?"

"A lot of horrible things," her lips quivered and Chae sat forward taking hold of her hand.

"You don't have to explain Dayday," but she shook her head.

"No Chae, I feel like I do. Especially to you," she intertwined their hands tighter. The wind crept in, cold and brooding, the rain pattering behind it. The tent rattled at the feeling.

"Eyes the colour of flames," continued Dahyun, "Rings of burnt corpses," Chae felt her hand tremble, "Ash, blood and dust. In my mouth on my body. Everywhere..." tears fell has Dahyun remembered, "help me," she whispered Chae wrapped her in a hug.

"I'm sorry," said Chae, "For putting you through this," her heart panged as her friend hugged back, "Maybe we should speak to Uncle Dev, ask him to remove any more remnants of my magi-energy in you," Chae stroked her head.

"I'm sorry too," it was faint.

"You don't need to apologise Dayday," Chae spoke gently as she let go but Dahyun was adamant.

"No Chae you don't get it. I'm sorry that you must bear such horrible things on your own. Was that the type of things you'd see during your nightmares? Back when we were young?"

Chae opened her mouth to speak but found she had nothing to say. Smiling tightly, she helped cover Dahyun up and sang a lullaby for her. Hazily, Dahyun drifted into sleep. Looking at the curtains, Chae lifted her hand. Thin orange streaks moved out of Dahyun's temple and into her palm. Concentrating, she pulled out more. Noise from outside made her stop. Sighing, she hoped that was all of it.

You gave her too much, said Holland.

I know, thought Chae. The rain was pouring now, she hurried towards her tent.

She's seeing things that must not be seen Chae.

I made a mistake, I didn't know, she answered, tongue rolling in her mouth.

You should be more careful with who you share your magi-energy with. There are few who can bear it. Most would turn mad.

I wasn't thinking at the time. I just needed to find a solution and using Dayday was the only way how, said Chae as she rushed into her tent.

I know, Holland paused, but you must keep in mind, in this world, I do not exist Chae. Please be more careful in future.

What do you mean Holland? Chae shrugged off her wet jacket, What do you mean? She waited but there was no reply. Laying down on her bed, she pinched the bridge of her nose. There was still so much she didn't know about her meta. Who was she? Where was she born? Suddenly, all these questions flooded her mind. But Chae knew, even if she asked, an answer would not come.

Sowon stared as the carriages left the village in a long trail. There were children running after them, attempting to jump on. While the adults watched, making sure any sign of the carriages were no longer in the village.

"I'm telling you, I have no clue why he came," urged Devlin.

Kali slammed down his fist, "Then what is this all about?"

"I honestly don't know. I was as surprised to see him today as everyone else," Devlin rubbed his beard. Sowon turned to them and sat in her chair.

"Let's wait to hear what Jimin says," she stared at them both, "Seems that is our only route to clarity at the moment."

"Something must be wrong," continued Kali, "He would not just come here unannounced."

Sowon kept her eyes on Devlin, noting the way his leg twitched, "We'll find out soon enough," she said, "On another note, how is the research going?"

"Slow," said Devlin.

Kali sat down too sighing deeply, "We don't have time," he huffed.

"And how do you know that?" Devlin chirped.

"I don't," admitted Kali. He had been referring more towards himself, aware that his heart could only handle so much more stress.

"Maybe it's a sign," said Sowon, "Maybe there's no need for it."

Devlin shook her head, "We never know Sowon. It's best to prepare. Rather have it with us, if anything does occur."

"But that's just it," she shook her head, "We barely know anything. Just going off our own suspicions," both men sat quietly, knowing there wasn't any counter to that. Before the silence grew, the door swept open. Jimin sat down next to Kali. She saw the puffiness of his eyes. Aware that it only swelled that way after he'd cried.

"What did he want?" asked Kali, now sitting upright.

Jimin rubbed his hands on his legs, "To rebuild our relationship," he still didn't really believe it.

"What?" Kali frowned.

"Yeah that's what I said too," cracked Jimin, "But he was actually being serious. Spoke about wanting to reconnect with me and Chae. That he'd do his best to fix things," Sowon saw Devlin's face shift.

"Oh, now he suddenly wants to be a father," said Kali, "I don't trust it."

"It is a bit strange," said Sowon but Devlin remained quiet.

"I know. I feel the same way. But that was all he said. And that he's proud of what I've done with the village," Sowon caught the small smile when he said that.

"Yeah well no thanks to him," said Kali grumpily.

"Atleast he's not going to interfere with the village," said Jimin.

"Did he say that?" asked Devlin.

"Not exactly," Jimin sighed, "But I have a feeling he won't."

"We don't know that for sure," said Sowon, "Anyway we still haven't found anything," she looked at Jimin. He turned to Devlin.

"You said we'd have it by now?"

"I know, but it's proving more difficult than I expected."

"Perhaps we should tell Jaehyun everything. Since he's being made to help," said Jimin.

"I don't know if that's wise," said Kali and Sowon agreed.

"He and Chae are best friends after all," she said.

Jimin smirked at her, "So are you," it was meant to be humorous, but no one laughed. Lifting his arms, he shrugged.

"Well, then I guess all we can do is just wait and see then. I'm sure we'll be fine without it anyway," he said.

"I hope so," said Sowon as she looked over at Devlin, "I really do."

Jennie grinned as Jisoo encouraged Lisa to go after the toad she thought she saw. They watched the younger woman running off into the bushes, eager to find it. Laughing at her enthusiasm Jisoo turned to Jennie.

"She hasn't changed."

"Not one bit," Jennie laughed with her. The trees were glistening with raindrops and the air cold but refreshing. Glancing up Jennie saw that the sky was still thick with clouds, but for the time being, nothing fell.

"I wanted to speak with you," said Jisoo.

"Yeah?" smiled Jennie.

"Yeah," Jisoo smiled back. They stared at each other for a moment longer, amusement filling the air. Jisoo was the first to break, laughter erupting between them.

"That's one thing I can't thank her enough for," said the princess as she kicked a stone, Jennie looked at her curiously, "My sister," continued Jisoo, "She's able to make you smile in such a beautiful way. I love it."

Jennie bowed her head, "Thank you Chu."

Jisoo grinned knowingly, "Has she been here? To see you?" Jennie shook her head, making Jisoo laugh, "It wouldn't surprise me if she does come. She's impulsive when it comes to you," Jennie shrugged.

"We've spoken," she looked at Jisoo, "We're going to have two ceremonies. A forest folk one and a noble one," she fiddled with her ring, "I was wondering..."

"Yes," said Jisoo.

"Chu you didn't even let me finish," huffed Jennie but Jisoo waved it off.

"Whatever it is yes Jen."

"It's not whatever," the brunette rolled her eyes.

"My pardon, go ahead then, finish your question."

"I've already asked Lisa and she said yes," began Jennie, "But if you don't want to I'll fully understand."

"I've already said yes, haven't I?" Jisoo looked at her playfully enjoying the blush forming on her friend's cheeks, "What is it Jen?"

"Will you," she touched her ring then stared straight into Jisoo's eyes, "Will you be a maiden of honour at my noble ceremony? It's custom to have two and well you and Lis are the only," she felt arms wrap around her.

"Yes Jen, ofcourse I will," whispered Jisoo as she felt Jennie hug her back. Once they let go, she smiled at her.

"Can I be honest with you?" Jennie nodded, "I still believe that Chae isn't worthy of you and that there are better suitors out there," she held up a finger, stopping Jennie from cutting in, "Because I know what you deserve. As my best friend and my future Royal Commander," the finger dropped, "But I can not deny, Chae makes you incredibly happy, and that's what matters to me. So yes Jen, I'll gladly accept being a maiden of honour for you."

Heart elated, Jennie grabbed hold of her hand, "Thank you Chu. You don't know how much this means to me," she's was going to have them all there, her best friends, her family and the love of her life.

"You mean the most to me Jen," Jisoo fixed her hair, "You and Lisa are everything to me."

Jennie nodded in understanding, "Same Chu, same," she felt tears at the edge of her eyes.

"Now," said Jisoo with a shy chuckle, "There was something else I also wanted to talk about," Jennie focused on her.

"I know that you and Lali, struggle to see what these teachings mean," she took a deep breath, "And I'm sure Chae has given you her opinion of this new religion. But Jen," Jisoo looked up into the sky, "It truly speaks to me. I feel connected to those passages, in a way I've never felt before. I have no doubt that I can find my truth in them," she looked down at Jennie again.

"And when I do, I'm going to need you Jen. Will you be there? Will you be by my side?"

Jennie cupped her other hand over their linked ones, "Yes Chu. You don't even need to question it. Whatever comes your way, I'll be there to support you," Jisoo's eyes teared too. They heard Lisa rustling about.

"Lali!" Jisoo shouted, "Hurry over here," she kept her eyes on Jennie both smiling loopily. Lisa appeared, curious at what she saw, "Come here Lali," Jisoo called her over and when she reached them, Jisoo placed her hand over theirs.

"I mean it when I say you two are truly important to me," said Jisoo.

"And we mean it when we say that the feeling is mutual Chu," smiled Jennie. Lisa nodded in confirmation.

"Then promise me," said Jisoo," Promise you will never leave my side. That you will support me, no matter what trials come my way. Promise that you won't betray me. As my future Royal Commander and Royal Treasurer," lighting split the air and thunder rumbled. For an instant, Jennie thought she saw a flash of red but placed it down to her imagination. Overwhelmed by the joy the afternoon had brought her, she spoke confidently.

"I promise," she said.

Lisa wondered if Jennie had seen it too, but chose not to say anything, "I promise," she said, another bolt of lighting blitzing the air. The rain fell has Jisoo's smile broadened, joyful at her friend's loyalty.

"Thank you, I love you so much," she pulled them all into a hug, the rain joining in, bringing the circle closer. Sweet and honest, that's how the afternoon felt. It would be one they'd remember fondly, for a time, until it did not reflect what they wanted to remember. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.9K 1.1K 36
You think you know the story. Just never told like this before. Copyright Disclaimer: I hereby state that I do not own any of the characters being us...
26.9K 1.1K 33
Where people bully Chaeyoung for being ugly, calling her "The devil's child" But, what happens when a new girl starts in her class, who's name is Jen...
Gain By scolric

Fanfiction

58.1K 3.1K 47
"You placed me in a position I never knew I needed. But here I am in front of you. Desperate and ashamed." Park Chaeyoung A fanfiction dedicated to a...
50.2K 1.3K 16
In the darkest corner of Seoul laid the worn out Luxury Ten theater. It was still running but only the lowest of the low went to hang out there. Gang...