Crowstar's Mission {COMPLETE}

By DawnfireOfSkyClan

Crowkit is born into tragedy, his sister dead before she ever had a chance to live and the only cat his mothe... More

Allegiances
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Epilogue

Chapter 32

710 26 1
By DawnfireOfSkyClan

Crowpaw stepped out into the sunny morning. Snow still covered the field, but the sun was shining high above. If the weather stayed like this, it would be an easy day of travel, but he had to get going as soon as possible. Crowpaw caught a quick bite before heading towards the twolegplace.

He left the field behind, and with each step he took Crowpaw grew more and more anxious. He tried not to think about what would happen once he returned to MoonClan, he didn't want to think about getting rejected and sent away, exiled from his former home.

Crowpaw stuck to the outskirts of the twolegplace, hoping to avoid having to enter it. He could hear the thunderpath up ahead, he had gotten used to crossing them at this point. Once he crossed the thunderpath, all that awaited him was MoonClan territory. He reached the thunderpath and took a deep breath, waiting for a clear chance to pass.

Crowpaw dashed across the thunderpath, skidding to a stop at the other side. Crowpaw could already scent heather, it smelled so much of home that it made his heart ache. Crowpaw pushed forward, his heart pounding in his chest.

Crowpaw faced the large wall of silverthorn, this marked the separation between MoonClan territory and the twolegplace. On the other side was his old home. Crowpaw felt nauseous, his heart ached. Just do it! Crowpaw took a deep, shaky breath and glanced up at the sky. There were no stars, but he let out a silent prayer anyway. Ivy, Blacksky, please let this be okay.

Crowpaw located the hold in the mesh that allowed him his original passage. He slipped underneath the mesh, wincing when it dug into his pelt. I guess I was a lot smaller when I came through here last. Losing a few strands of his black pelt, Crowpaw made it through and his paws touched MoonClan territory for the first time in moons.

He breathed in the familiar scent, it seemed like forever since he had been here. Memories of hunting across the moor hit him like a storm. I can't believe that I'm back here after all this time. Crowpaw stared into the distance, MoonClan camp was out there. And I'm going to find it. Crowpaw took the first step deeper into MoonClan territory and the rest of his paws followed.

He crossed the moor and was overwhelmed with the urge to run. He recalled running this territory with his father, and hunting with Silverpool. I wonder if things we'll ever go back to normal with Silverpool.

Crowpaw knew he wasn't too far from camp, he wondered if he should wait for another cat to find him or if he should just venture into camp. As this thought crossed his mind, he heard a voice. Crowpaw tensed and ducked down slightly. The voice came from a young tom, one he didn't recognize.

"I'll be right back!" The tom yelled.

Crowpaw stiffened as a young, gray apprentice appeared over a small hill. He spotted Crowpaw and narrowed his green eyes. "I knew I scented something weird! Who are you? Why are you on my territory?" The apprentice demanded, puffing out his chest to look bigger.

"My name is Crowpaw." Crowpaw dipped his head.

"Crowpaw? You seem a little old to still be an apprentice."

"I've been away for a long time. I'm a member of MoonClan, but I had to leave."

The apprentice opened his mouth but another voice spoke. "Jaypaw!" The voice belonged to a she-cat, and it was familiar but something about it seemed different. A new cat crested the hill, this one was a pure white she-cat with blue eyes. Icepaw? "I told you not to run off on your own! Have you--" She cut off once she spotted Crowpaw. Is it really her? "Crowpaw?" She stared in disbelief. "Is it really you?"

Crowpaw nodded slowly. "Yeah." He spoke quietly. "And you're...Icepaw?" He knew that wouldn't be her name anymore, but he didn't know what her warrior name was.

"Icestorm actually." She stared at him, as if she couldn't believe he was real. "I can't believe it's really you. Where have you been?"

"I...had somewhere to go." Crowpaw dropped his head. "But I'm back now."

"I'm really glad to see you." Icestorm padded happily up to Crowpaw, nuzzling his cheek. "Oh, Silverpool is going to be so happy to see you!" Her eyes sparkled. "Let's go home!"

Crowpaw followed Icestorm and Jaypaw, the apprentice continued to look at Crowpaw suspiciously. "So, how has MoonClan been? How's Owlstar?"

Icestorm flattened her ears. "Owlstar's dead, actually. Cloudstar is our leader now and there's a lot that happened, but now isn't the time to explain it."

"Oh," Crowpaw dropped his head, feeling guilty. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay." Icestorm sighed. "He died a few moons ago to greencough."

The scent of MoonClan grew stronger and Crowpaw could hear voices. At this moment, his anxiety was raging deep inside of his chest and he felt for a moment like running and never looking back, but he knew he couldn't do that.

MoonClan camp came into view and looked just like it did when he left it behind. There were some young cats he had never seen before, and some cats he missed. So much has changed.

"Icestorm, you're back!" Another familiar voice spoke and Crowpaw spotted a white, spotted she-cat bound across camp. She came to a sudden stop when she saw Crowpaw. Her green eyes went wide. "I-Is that, Crowpaw?"

"Y-yeah," Crowpaw shuffled his paws.

Frostpaw sprinted over to him, nuzzling his cheek. "You're back! I'm so glad to see that you're okay!" She jumped backwards letting out a small gasp. "Oh! There's someone who needs to see you!"

"She's still as energetic as ever." Icestorm laughed. "Her name is Frostfire now, by the way." Crowpaw stared after Frostfire as she ran across camp, she had drawn the attention of several other MoonClan cats who were now staring in the direction of Crowpaw, he felt as small as a mouse.

He couldn't help but notice that Frostfire had run off towards the nursery. Is she getting Silverpool? Does Silverpool have kits? Frostfire vanished into the nursery and after a few moments, was dragging another cat out.

While the two of them waited for Frostfire to return, many cats' attention had been drawn by the commotion. Crowpaw spotted several familiar faces, some of which he was certain had new names. He saw Cinderpaw standing with Shadowpaw, Cinderpaw's eyes were wide while Shadowpaw's were narrow and suspicious.

"Crowpaw?" Many voices questioned and stared deep into Crowpaw's pelt.

"Honestly, Frostfire what could be so important. I have two very restless kits!" Crowpaw couldn't take his eyes off Silverpool. She was just as he remembered, his heart hurt. She's going to hate me. Crowpaw thought, he wanted to run but his paws were frozen to the ground.

"Just look." Frostfire motioned with her head. Silverpool turned to where Crowpaw and Icestorm were standing, all annoyance in her eyes faded away and her green eyes went wide.

"Crowpaw?" She whimpered. Crowpaw took a small step towards her. "Crowpaw!" She cried out and began sprinting across camp. Crowpaw didn't have time to brace himself before SIlverpool nearly tackled him, nuzzling him and running her tongue across his pelt. Crowpaw felt overwhelmed with love and joy.

He buried his nose into Silverpool's pelt, breathing in her familiar, comforting scent. "Oh Crowpaw." She whimpered before finally letting him go. She looked at him, love overflowing in her eyes. "I knew you would come back, I always knew."

"I'm sorry." Crowpaw dropped his head.

Silverpool shook her head slowly. "Don't apologize, I'm just grateful that you're finally home."

Crowpaw heard a cat clear their throat and he jumped to his paws, facing Cloudstar for the first time. He felt his entire body tense as he faced the leader. Right. He reminded himself. I have to talk to her.

"So you've returned to us." Cloudstar mewed, he couldn't read her voice. She didn't sound mad, but she didn't exactly sound thrilled either.

"Yeah," Crowpaw bowed his head. "And there's something I need to tell you." He looked back up the leader. "Is...Skyclaw still around?" Crowpaw hoped that the old medicine cat was still alive.

"He's retired but yes." Cloudstar looked around the Clan, they were all staring at Crowpaw. "Follow me." Crowpaw cast a glance at Silverpool who gave him an encouraging nod. Crowpaw began slowly following the leader. Crowpaw spotted a familiar cat standing with the rest of MoonClan. The last time he had seen this cat he had been just a kit. "Badgerstripe," Cloudstar mewed. "Please go get Skyclaw."

"Yes, Cloudstar." Badgerstripe dipped his head and padded quickly off towards the elder's den. Is Badgerstripe the medicine cat? He recalled when they had been kits, Badgerstripe had never been too keen to fight. Crowpaw felt the burning gaze of every cat in MoonClan burning into his black pelt, but he kept his head high.

Cloudstar and Crowpaw reached the leaders den and Ivystone stepped in behind them. She must be the deputy. Crowpaw noted and sat down before Cloudstar and Ivystone. "What do you have to tell me?" Cloudstar questioned, giving Crowpaw a curious look. "Is it the reason you left."

"Kind of." Crowpaw shuffled his paws and a few moments later, Skyclaw stepped into the leader's den, his yellow eyes resting on Crowpaw.

"So Badgerstripe wasn't crazy, you really have returned." Skyclaw snorted and sat down beside Ivystone.

"Skyclaw is here," Cloudstar pointed out. "What did you need to tell me?"

Crowpaw looked to the old medicine cat, he looked relatively the same as when Crowpaw had last seen him, but there was white hidden in his gray pelt. "Do you remember before I left, I saw a crow and you saw it too?"

Skyclaw nodded. "StarClan had given me a message that one of our own was to journey beyond the borders to find something that would help our Clan. When I saw the crow, and you left, I realized it was you. When you never came back, I assumed that you had died."

Crowpaw tensed slightly. "Well," Crowpaw's throat felt incredibly dry. "I overheard you talking about that prophecy, and I used it to run away." The gazes of his old Clanmates turned slightly sharper. Crowpaw bowed his head. "I'm not going to lie, I used the sign and ran away from my problems. I didn't know if I would ever come back, but then I was visited by a StarClan cat."

"Which cat?" Skyclaw questioned curiously.

"Her name is Mosscloud, she said she used to be a MoonClan medicine cat."

"I've heard stories of Mosscloud, my mentor mentioned her once or twice. What did she tell you?" Skyclaw rested his tail over his paws, curious now.

"She told me that there was a sickness threatening MoonClan, and the only place to find the necessary herb was in a hidden herb garden she had when she was alive." Crowpaw wasn't sure if there even was sickness in MoonClan right now, if there wasn't they might think he was crazy.

"There is a strange sickness going around." Skyclaw confirmed after sharing a glance with Cloudstar and Ivystone. "It took the life of Snowpaw, we are unsure of what it is or how to cure. Badgerstripe and I have tried everything, even the other medicine cats have no idea how to cure it. Right now, Lightningpaw, Spidertail and Longwhisker are sick with the same illness. We've been fearing the worst." Skyclaw looked to Cloudstar. "If Crowpaw is right about this herb, it could save their lives."

"What herb is it?" Cloudstar questioned.

"It's called lungwort."

Before Skyclaw could respond, Crowpaw heard the sound of rushed pawsteps. A small black tom poked his head into the den, he had yellow eyes that were wide with fear. "Skyclaw! Badgerstripe needs you! Now!"

Without hesitation, Skyclaw jumped to his paws and ran out of the leader's den. Crowpaw didn't stop to think, he just followed the medicine cat out and into the camp. He could hear Cloudstar and Ivystone behind him, and they stopped to watch. The apprentice ran into the medicine cat den with Skyclaw behind him.

Crowpaw spotted Snakepelt standing outside of the den, horror filling his eyes. After a few grueling moments, Skyclaw stepped outside. His eyes weren't filled with grief, but they were deeply frightened. "How is Lightningpaw?" Snakepelt questioned, his voice shaking.

"She's alive, but she doesn't have much time left." Snakepelt's eyes went wide with terror. Snakepelt must be her father. Crowpaw noted.

Skyclaw quickly padded up to Crowpaw. "If that herb is out there, we need to get it now."

"What herb?" Snakepelt stepped in, looking at Crowpaw curiously.

"While Crowpaw was out, he was told of an herb that could cure our sickness." Skyclaw explained.

Crowpaw met Snakepelt's pained gaze. "Please, Crowpaw. Go get this herb, I can't lose anyone else." Crowpaw could feel the pain in Snakepelt's gaze, he had felt the same kind of pain.

"I'll do what I can." Crowpaw promised.

"We need to leave now." Skyclaw demanded. "Lead the way Crowpaw."

Crowpaw nodded quickly and ran out the back of camp, his paws carrying him gracefully across the moor. He hadn't been in MoonClan in so long, and yet he still knew everything about his home. Behind him, Skyclaw and Cloudstar ran after him. I have to hurry. Crowpaw thought and recalled what Mosscloud had told him about the herb. Her garden is just past the training pool.

They reached the training pool quickly and Crowpaw began searching for the garden. "It's around here somewhere." Crowpaw called.

"How could it be? Someone would have seen it by now." Cloudstar questioned. Crowpaw didn't answer her, he was too focused. I know it's here! Crowpaw told himself, Mosscloud wouldn't lie to him like that. He frantically searched the moor until he spotted a cluster of brambles.

Crowpaw trotted up to them and could see the small entrance to a cave underneath the twisting brambles. Crowpaw instantly began ripping at the brambles with his claws. The thorns sliced at his pads, but he ignored it. I have to save Lightningpaw. I can't let her die. Crowpaw had never met this apprentice, but he felt a strong sense of duty towards his Clan. Everything I've done has led up to this.

"What are you doing?" Skyclaw questioned, walking up to Crowpaw.

Crowpaw didn't respond, he took a bramble in his jaws and ripped it away. He could taste blood as the thorns pricked his tongue, but once again he ignored it. At long last, Crowpaw had finally cleared a way into the cave. He pushed his body through the entrance and found himself surrounded by thick herbs, overgrown and lush.

"Oh my..." Skyclaw breathed out as he stepped into the den. "There's so many herbs down here!"

"The one we're looking for has gray spots on it." Crowpaw explained and began tearing through the other herbs to find it.

"I found it!" Cloudstar announced from where she had been searching. Crowpaw and Skyclaw joined her side and looked at the large supply of the herb. It looked exactly as Mosscloud had described it.

"Grab as much as you can." Skyclaw ordered and all three cats picked up large bundles of the lungwort in their jaws. They climbed out of the den and began the run back to MoonClan camp. Please let this work. Crowpaw prayed silently.

They arrived back at camp and Crowpaw followed Cloudstar and Skyclaw into the medicine cat den. "What's this?" Badgerstripe questioned, looking up from a small white she-cat. Judging by her size and lifeless figure, Crowpaw assumed that it was Lightningpaw.

"It's lungwort." Skyclaw set the herb down. "An old MoonClan medicine cat told Crowpaw about it. It's supposed to cure this illness." Badgerstripe seemed skeptical but Skyclaw was getting impatient. "We don't have time to question it." Skyclaw urged. "Lightningpaw is running out of time."

Without waiting for Badgerstripe's word, Skyclaw began force feeding the herb to Lightningpaw. The she-cat didn't move, but she managed to eat the herb. Badgerstripe sighed. "Ravenpaw, give the herb to Longwhisker." The small black apprentice nodded and picked up a leaf, giving it to the black and white tom while Badgerstripe gave the lungwort to Spidertail.

"Now we wait." Skyclaw sighed and turned to Crowpaw. "Are you sure this will work."

"That's what Mosscloud told me."

"They need rest." Badgerstripe spoke up. "We should give them quiet." Crowpaw dipped his head and he, Skyclaw and Cloudstar left the den where Snakepelt was waiting outside.

"So? Did it work?"

"No herb is instant." Skyclaw mewed. "But if it does work, I'm sure we'll know by tomorrow."

Cloudstar looked at Crowpaw, he looked over to meet her gaze. "Crowpaw, if this works then all of MoonClan will be incredibly grateful." Crowpaw wasn't sure what to say.

"So what do I do now?" Crowpaw questioned. He didn't feel like he was a member of MoonClan right now, he felt like an outsider.

"Tonight you can sleep in the apprentice den, given your name and all, and tomorrow we'll see how Lightningpaw is doing, then I'll decide what I want to do about you." Cloudstar gave a nod. "Welcome home, Crowpaw."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.5K 698 39
Aspenpaw struggles to find her place in ThunderClan. Her father wants her to be a medicine cat, but her mom says she should follow her heart. But wha...
20.5K 594 30
The choices of the brave and the mistakes of the frightened, will shape the forest with unsteady paws and claws that rain blood Honeypaw and Falconpa...
1.3K 117 21
[COMPLETE & REVISED] Burnetpaw is simply a bad hunter. After spending all of her apprenticeship attempting to improve her abilities, she is still not...
17.6K 722 39
Experience some of the darkest stories from some of the Clan's most damaged warriors through their own perspective. Squirreltail was an incredibly lo...