The Unknown

By Rddudd

Follow the lives of four young orphans who suddenly find themselves growing up under the stern discipline of... More

How it began
The early years
Lisa's arrival
Dare I say four
The three amigos
The cast
Consequences
Lisa's first time
Then there were four
Fitting in
The initiation
The initiation part 2
The initiation part 3 (plan b)
The initiation part 4 (Carrie's turn)
Changes
Admiral Shane Donovan
They meet
Nearly impossible
The next month
Breaking Point
Proceed
The trails
Back at the cabin
Snooze button
Teacher's Notes
Respect
One of these is not like the others
Mike's return
Option numero dos
Let's go
Dr. Evans
Other conversation
Prove it
Prove it part 2
Prove it part 3
Little sis
Running errands
Running errands part 2
Library
Library part 2
Library part 3
Progress reports
Progress reports part 2
Salem General
Wrong house
Wrong house part 2
Kimberly
Church
Volleyball practice
Thursday's game
The fundraiser
The fundraiser part deux
Monday morning
Babysitter
Jogging
Toddlers
Only once
Only once part 2
Only once part 3
Only once part 4
The aftermath
The Ethics Committee
Meanwhile
Day 2
Therapy
Darts
Dean Banfeld
To tell or not to tell
Dr. Phil show
Bscs
Student handbook
Authority
Per protocol
The meeting
Coach Ryder
Trouble
Decisions
All good things
Footage
Writing
Mail call
My watch
KP duty
After the movie
Aunt Fay
After coffee
Testing
Currency
Trading places
Set another place at the table
Couldn't have said it better
Jot a brief message
Swinging for the fences
School blues
Make good on a promise
Introductions
I said no
Road sign
At the cottage
Porch swing
You earned it
Oh you picked the wrong day
Disagreement
Sean
Fighting
That in itself is worthy
You do realize
I never said
Mr. Donovan
Unauthorized purchase
Can we please
A lie of omission
How many times
Don't you ever question
Gone girl
You're a proven flight risk
Listen to me
Don't forget my refill
If looks could kill
You have to know
You've ridden this train
Kissing the gunner's daughter
Those four words
The appropriate time to meet
You're late
Where's your phone?
Graduation gift
How could you?

I can explain

1.7K 37 18
By Rddudd

At Neil's lakeside cottage

Mike's pov

"Neil, please, I can explain." It's time for some damage control.

"I thought the two of you would have learned your lesson after the girls were stopped by the police for driving erratically when they left that party, but here we stand yet again, only this time it's drugs instead of alcohol." Neil was fuming.

"Neil, I'm sorry, we should've..." I tried to apologize but he interrupted me.

"HOW MANY TIMES ARE WE GOING TO NEED TO HAVE THIS CONVERSATION, MICHAEL? WHAT THE HELL IS IT GOING TO TAKE TO GET THROUGH TO THE TWO OF YOU?" Neil stood rigidly with his hands on his hips as he admonished Shane and I as if we were petulant adolescents.

"I realize we should have told you, Neil." I tried to speak my piece but he wasn't ready to listen. "We just thought..."

"YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME, OR WERE THE TWO OF YOU JUST WAITING FOR THE FIRST LAWSUIT TO BE FILED?" Neil slammed his hands down so hard on the kitchen table, the windows shook. "HOW DARE YOU TRY TO KEEP THIS FROM ME!"

"Don't blame Mike, Neil, I'm just as much at fault." Shane tried to take some of the heat off me.

"YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT YOU ARE, DONOVAN! DON'T THINK FOR ONE MINUTE I DON'T HOLD YOU JUST AS RESPONSIBLE AS MICHAEL." Neil paced angrily. "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE, DISRESPECTING ME LIKE THAT?"

"Neil, we didn't..." I wish he would just listen to me.

"Don't, Michael. You have no idea how furious I am with you right now." Neil was so pissed he drove his fist right into the wall, leaving a sizable dent in the drywall. "THE TWO OF YOU NEED TO LEARN YOUR PLACE. IT'S TIME YOU EXPERIENCE A DISCIPLINARY TRAINING SESSION."

I do not like the sound of that.

"I'm going to ice my knuckles and take a few minutes to calm down so I don't do something I'll regret." Neil shook his hand out as it had to be smarting. "I want the two of you standing at attention in the living room when I get back. Am I clear, gentlemen?"

Swallowing hard, I answered, "Yes sir," as did Shane, both of us well aware of just how hot Neil's temper could flare.

One hour later

Mike's pov

Shane and I obediently stood at attention, awaiting Neil's return. We both knew he had every right to be upset with us for not informing him of what Stacey did. Not only stealing, but selling Julie's controlled medication was no minor offense.

When Neil returned, I was beyond nervous fearing what his retribution would entail. I tried to stand perfectly still like the Admiral but my lack of military background proved to be my failing.

Neil spoke with unmistakable authority, his words laced with an icy, yet noticeable undertone of distaste for our failure to be forthcoming.

"To say you've disappointed me does a grave injustice to my feelings." Neil slapped Shane and I across the face, his open hand leaving quite the sting.

I inhaled sharply and grimaced, unsuccessfully trying to rub the hurt from my cheek. The Admiral, however, never even flinched, making me wonder what he endured during his military service to be able to withstand that degree of pain with little to no noticeable reaction. Even though I consider him my best friend, there's still so many unknowns layered through his past that have undoubtedly helped to shape his personality. Fascinating, to say the least.

Standing in front of us, Neil spoke from the heart, "You betrayed me, gentlemen, by withholding crucial information. The two of you should know very well that a lie of omission is still a lie."

Knowing that I let Neil down pained me in ways I can't even describe. I look up to Neil and his opinion of me perhaps matters way too much but it matters, nonetheless.

"You did not inform me of a situation of great magnitude, a potentially dangerous, most definitely illegal one, that opened up the Center and Foundation to criminal and civil liabilities. What kind of message do you think that sent the girls, gentlemen?"

I looked down, too ashamed to face my mentor.

"So help me God, if you don't answer me in the next five seconds, Michael, I will strip this belt from my waist and teach you a very painful lesson."

Lifting my head slightly, I saw Neil's hand resting on his belt buckle and suddenly I found my voice. "You're absolutely right, sir. By not telling you what happened, the girls probably thought we didn't recognize your position of authority and in turn may have inferred a lack of respect on our part but I assure you it was strictly unintentional."

Neil withdrew his hand from his belt and sighed, appearing by his change in posture to have relaxed slightly. He turned his back to Shane and I, exhaled loudly, placed his hands on his hips and shook his head slowly before addressing us once again.

"I thought I had made myself crystal clear the last time I said that withholding information potentially vital to the continued success of my operations would not be tolerated but..." Neil turned to face us, looking us both in the eyes before continuing, "... apparently you boys could use a refresher course on obedience."

Unconsciously, I held my breath, awaiting Neil's disciplinary decree. Shane appeared stoic, yet not entirely unmoved by Neil's admonishment.

"Michael, you're going to scrub this kitchen clean, using only a toothbrush and a bottle of Pine-sol. I expect you to clean this floor on your hands and knees and it better be spotless. Shane, you'll be doing the same, only in the two bathrooms. I want the floors, toilets, sinks and showers so clean they sparkle. I also want every window washed and dried streak-free. When you're finished with that you may have new toothbrushes to clean my boat and its trailer. That includes the bow, hull, seats, console, carpeting, livewell, bilge, and outboard engine. Any questions, gentlemen?"

"No sir," we echoed in unison, knowing it was the only response Neil would accept.

"Good, now get to cleaning and, gentlemen, if your work isn't up to my standards, know there will be consequences."

After Neil gave us our supplies and left, I felt like I was finally able to breathe again. Shane and I spent the next ten and a half hours mostly on our hands and knees cleaning everything to Neil's specifications.

"Please remind me of this the next time I suggest we keep something from him. Would you, Shane?"

"Absofuckin'lutely, mate, without a doubt," Shane replied, without hesitation.

Later that night before everyone was ready to retire, Neil poured us each a whisky neat as we sat down to converse in front of a roaring fire.

"You did a nice job on the bathrooms, Donovan," Neil said, as he handed Shane his drink.

"Thank you. Unfortunately, it wasn't my first time cleaning with a toothbrush. It was a nice change of pace not having to use my own though," Shane smirked.

"You however, Michael, hopefully use more precision in the operating room than you did while cleaning my kitchen." Neil frowned at me. "We'll discuss the consequences for your lack of attention to detail tomorrow. Understood?"

"Yes sir," I replied sadly, looking intently at the glass tumbler in my hand. I would never admit this to anyone but I couldn't help feeling a little jealous of Shane for having earned Neil's praise.

"For the love of God, Michael, look at me when you're speaking to me. I shouldn't bloody well have to remind you of that, now should I?" Neil admonished me.

Making eye contact now, I replied dejectedly, "No sir, you shouldn't have to remind me. I apologize."

"May I ask how you found out about all that happened with Julie's medication?" Shane tried to change the course of the conversation by politely asking permission to question Neil as he took a sip of his Mcallan 18.

"Yes you may, Admiral. In fact, I'm glad you did because all this came to light due to the fact your teenage daughter Stacey had the good sense to come to me of her own volition TWO BLOODY WEEKS AGO!" Neil narrowed his eyes and slammed his glass down on the end table before unleashing on us again. "UNLIKE HER IRRESPONSIBLE ADULT GUARDIANS WHO CHOSE TO KEEP ME IN THE DARK!  CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT SCENARIO? WHY THE HELL DO I HAVE TO HEAR IT FROM A CHILD, INSTEAD OF ONE OF THE TWO SUPPOSEDLY PRINCIPLED ADULTS CHARGED WITH CARING FOR HER?"

"I'm sorry, Neil, we should have come to you right away. You have every reason to be disenchanted with us," Shane apologized sincerely.

"I prefer you address me as sir when you're not in my good graces. It's the least you could do to grant me that courtesy, Admiral. Understand?"

"Yes sir, I apologize," Shane obediently responded, ever the good soldier.

"Thank God you raised that girl with more sense than the two of you seem to have rattling around in your skulls." Neil shook his head derisively, still unsure how it ever came to this.

"Did you punish her, sir?" Shane asked hesitantly, fearing Neil's response as he felt we had certainly dealt with Stacey's misbehaviour with severe enough consequences.

"Not that it's any of your concern, Admiral, but yes, I did discipline her for her transgressions." Neil rose and went to the bar to top off our drinks.

Shane and I exchanged nervous glances, wondering what type of punishment our oldest daughter endured at Neil's hand.

"In case you're wondering, it wasn't as severe as the punishment the two of you will be receiving from me tomorrow." Neil took a long slow drink of his scotch whisky.

I, however, downed my drink in one quick swallow before asking Neil's permission to head off to bed.

The next morning

Shane's pov

Mike and I are sitting at Neil's kitchen table writing lines. Specifically, I will not withhold pertinent information from Dr. Curtis ever again, five hundred times. Mike's really having a difficult time dealing with how disappointed Neil is in him. Since Neil's opinion means the world to him, he's taking all of his punishments to heart.

When we finished writing our lines, Neil came into the kitchen to look over our papers.

Once satisfied we had completed this part of our punishment to his specifications, he looked to me and said, "Admiral, I'd like you to start on some landscaping work I require outside. Here's what I'd like done." Neil handed me a diagram with detailed instructions. "Michael will be out to assist you once I'm through addressing the quality of his work from yesterday."

Mike's pov

"Yes sir." Shane took the papers for our next assignment with him as he pushed open the screen door and walked outside.

Once Shane left, Neil turned to address me.

"Are you satisfied with the job you did cleaning my kitchen yesterday, Michael?"

"I am sir," I replied with little conviction, knowing Neil would surely offer proof to the contrary.

"Well, you shouldn't be. Your lack of attention to detail was appalling, to say the least." Neil proceeded to point out six minute spots, in my opinion. "Correct your mistakes," he said, handing me a toothbrush and the cleaning solution, "and then I'll correct your behaviour." 

Before exiting the kitchen, Neil turned and said, "Come get me when you're finished."

I nodded slightly and began cleaning the first spot Neil was unhappy with.

"I expect an immediate and appropriate respectful response when I address you, Michael." Neil glared at me from the doorway.

"I meant to say, yes sir." I bit my tongue to keep from vocalizing my frustration.

"That's better, I don't intend on giving you any more second chances." Neil walked into the living room before I could respond.

Approximately forty minutes later, I completed my touch-ups and went to tell Neil.

"I'm finished, sir."

After inspecting my work for the second time and appearing to be satisfied, Neil did something that widened my eyes and left my stomach in knots; he reached for his belt buckle.

"I think five strokes per spot sounds fair. Don't you, Michael?"

I remained silent, temporarily hypnotized as I couldn't believe my eyes, watching him strip his leather belt swiftly from his pant loops and doubling it over in his hand. When I raised my head, I saw Neil looking at me expectantly.

Unsure of the words even coming out of my mouth right now, I think I replied, "Yes sir."

Neil pulled one of the kitchen chairs out from under the table and turned the seat towards me.

"Bend over and grip the sides of the chair, Michael. I'd like to get this done and overwith."

Assuming the position, my entire body tensed as my eyes caught focus of the fist shaped dent in the drywall, a tangible reminder of the volatility of Neil's punitive nature. I turned my focus to the chair seat underneath me as I tried to get the image of Neil's angry outburst out of my head.

Neil didn't waste any time whipping his belt against my upper thighs as the true purpose for this corporal punishment began to come to light.

"For two weeks I waited for you to come to me and tell me what happened." Neil slapped his belt harshly across my bottom causing me to grit my teeth to withstand the searing pain. "Everyday I woke up sure this would be the day you'd come clean, this would be the day you'd confide in me, but you never did, Michael."

The hurt in Neil's voice almost matched the hurt his belt striped into my thighs and buttocks. Neil was silent as he continued his relentless assault delivering the next ten strokes.

"I expect so much more from you, Michael. I've known you for over fifteen years. I would think that should count for something." Neil wasn't holding back, he wanted to make it evident how displeased he was with me. What I didn't realize was the pain I was experiencing from this belting, couldn't possibly rival the pain Neil felt from my failure to trust him with the truth.

"How low is your opinion of me to be so unwilling to be forthcoming?" Neil continued to whip the belt down harshly with relentless tenacity as he punished me. "I can't tell you how much your lack of trust hurt me." Neil whipped the last and hardest stroke down. "Get up!" he barked. Neil then turned away from me so I never saw the tear trickling down his cheek.

"I'm so sorry. Please know it was never my intention to hurt or insult you, sir," I sniffled, as I continued to cry, partly from Neil's harsh discipline with the belt but mostly from his cutting words coupled with my own frustrations. "You must believe, I would never do that to you."

Hearing my plea, Neil turned, saw my tears, and closed the gap between us. My chest tightened as I noticed the tear stain on his cheek. He held my face firmly in his hands as he looked me in the eye.

"It's over and I forgive you, son..." he said, pulling me closer, allowing me to cry into his chest as he wiped the tears from his own eyes, "...but do not disappoint me again."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.1K 529 20
HELLO CUTIES, So this my second book This story is about a brat lee yn. Daughter of mr and mrs.lee they both love their daughter very much so because...
105K 3K 85
The sequel to the Unknown. SPOILER ALERT: IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW THE SURPRISE ENDING OF THE UNKNOWN, WAIT TO READ THIS BOOK ( I'm not going to tell...
364K 15.2K 117
Julianne Thompson has never known a healthy family. She has walked through her fourteen years in a daze, clouded by storms that won't dissipate. When...
50.3K 412 10
Alexis "Alex" Marie Kingston is what you would assume is a rich brat and Mr. Ezra Pierce is a strict but friendly teacher who teaches English at Alex...