Renovatio

By scolric

We have died. In a previous image. When we were completely unaware Of the self-known as "I". We had abandon... More

Foreword
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
The Metamorphoses
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2

Part 2

414 35 3
By scolric

There wasn't time. She moved behind a thick trunk and slumped down. Her eyes were no longer willing to remain open, yet she'd come this far. Her head moved back, the tiredness felt overwhelming. The rustling was louder now. Chuckling she knew that madness was the only thing that must have led her here. Her head felt heavy. The rustling stopped. It was over, she could feel it. When the footsteps halted in front of her, she knew. But then arms wrapped her up in a gentle embrace. Willing her eyes to flicker open, she was met by that familiar beautiful dark brown face. And her eyes were no longer the colour she'd fallen in love with. No. Now, they reflected the fire in her, that's always been in her. Bright and blazing with rage. And it was so very beautiful....

Gasping, Jennie clutched her chest still finding it difficult to breathe. Laying back down, her heartbeat slowly returned to normal. Fingers traveling through hair, she found her skin sticky. The sweat had dried. Rubbing her head, she looked around and saw that the room was bright with sunshine.

Feet hitting the floor, she slumped over to the bathroom. The water felt cool on the tip of her fingers and she splashed her face. Patting her cheeks, she sighed unimpressed. Returning to the bedroom, she saw Chae sitting on the near side. There was a plate of food on the bedside table and a cup of something warm.

"I made you breakfast," she smiled sheepishly. Walking over to her, Jennie looked down at the food.

"It smells good," she grinned. Chae tugged her shirt.

"Baby," Jennie waited, "We need to talk," she felt herself being pulled and softly she made herself comfortable in Chae's lap. The sheepish smile was still there, making Jennie lean down to have a taste of it. But their lips never met.

"Let's talk first," said Chae.

"Okay," said Jennie lowly and slid next to her. Gazing downwards a familiar knot found itself in Chae's stomach. Fingers twiddling, she felt as though it was hitting her from the inside out. Staring at the side of her face, Jennie wanted to kiss her cheek. But she didn't know if she should.

When she turned to her Chae saw that Jennie was biting her lip, "Yesterday, when I had to destroy the village, all I could think of was what you'd said before," The knot was rolling around now, she hoped it wouldn't come up to her throat. Jennie looked at her with soft eyes.

"You did what you could Chae, you shouldn't feel guilty. You saved many people," said the brunette, aware that her girlfriend was finding her decision difficult to accept.

"You're right baby," Chae smiled at her but looked down again, "And it's because you've always supported me so sincerely that I'm able to find the strength to do what I'm about to," Jennie's eyebrows scrunched as she saw Chae bend down in front of her.

"Having seen the empty space of where that village was made me think only about how you said you wouldn't mind moving here with me. Being with me," Chae pushed the knot away and found the courage to look Jennie straight in the eyes. Reaching into her jacket pocket, her hands were shaking. It was worse than last night, but she was able to grip onto the box.

Taking it out, she bowed down and placed it at Jennie's feet. Closing her eyes, she silently said the needed hymn before looking up again. Jennie's eyes flickered, unsure if this was actually happening.

"Jennie, you're the love of my life and so I ask if you will be in communion with me?"

Chae opened the box and Jennie's breath hitched at what she saw. The black gemstone shone darkly between the clear ones surrounding it on the ring. While the bracelet next to it reflected the brightness of the sunlight. The pink from the gems looked lovely. Chae stared at her expectantly. 

Hands moving to cover her face, Jennie was barely audible "Yes."

She looked up at the whisper and saw that there were tears coming out of Jennie. Eyes widening, the knot in Chae's stomach rattled. Jennie's gaze shifted from the stones up to dark brown pools. She didn't feel she was beautiful enough. But when Chae looked at her like that it didn't matter. Because those dark pools made her heart drop. Straight into Chae's hands. The younger woman could do anything she wanted with it. Her heart was hers. Jennie knew it always would be.

"Yes, Chae," she said it more firmly, the tears still falling. Mouth opening, Chae bowed her head gratefully. After kissing the space around Jennie's feet, she got up, an overjoyed glint in her eyes. She pulled the brunette into her arms and twirled them around. Jennie laughed happily into the embrace.

"You mean it right?" asked Chae shyly once Jennie's feet were planted back on the floor. Nodding with a wide smile, Jennie hid into Chae's chest. And heard how loud the other woman's heart was ringing. Keeping her eyes open, the brunette hoped this was not a dream.

"Jenjen?" she looked up and saw Chae smiling down at her.

"Yes, Rosie?"

"Is this what it feels like to be happy?" There were tears sitting still in her eyes, making them glitter sweetly. Jennie leaned up, ready to catch any if they chose to fall.

"I think so baby," she kissed Chae's lips tenderly.

"Do you feel it too?" asked Chae and Jennie kissed her again, a smiling greeting her in return.

"I do baby, I do."

Standing in front of the close door, Clive wondered what was going on behind it. Peering between the two guards, he sensed that they would not tell him. Ignoring the hardened stares directed at him, he made his voice loud and firm.

"EON! I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON WITH YOU. BUT YOU HAVE A KINGDOM TO LEAD. THERE ARE IMPORTANT THINGS THAT CHAERIN AND I CAN ONLY DISCUSS WITH YOU IN PERSON."

There was a rattle behind the door, even taking the guards by surprise. They all waited for it to open but it never occurred. Grunting, Clive stepped back, his yellow cape floundering slightly. The guards faced forward again. Turning around, Clive shook his head in disappointment and left.

There was a variety of gifts given to all the surviving soldiers. Many of which were given to Dahyun who was instructed to tell the woman with the pink hair to return anytime she felt. Smiling warmly at all the faces they passed, Taemin, was happy to see that the spirit in the village had not disappeared. Ravi was surrounded by a swarm of women and men, wanting to catch a hug. Lisa smiled softly at the entire ordeal.

"When will I see you again?" Somin's eyes were trying to tell her something.

"I don't know. Dahyun and I might visit before we need to leave for another deployment," Lisa looked off shyly.

Nodding, Somin realised that it might be a long while before they saw each other again and so she took the plunge. At first surprised, Lisa quickly found her rhythm and the two kissed each other softly. It was the snickers from behind that made them break apart. Lisa saw B.M. covering his mouth while Jiwoo and J.seph smiled sweetly at her.

"Come back to me," whispered Somin as she gripped on Lisa's shirt, "Come back to me soon. I'd like to get to know you better," she finished and Lisa kissed her again.

"I'd like that too," she said softly. They hugged gently before Lisa was being called to join the rest of the unit. Running off to them, she stood next to Dahyun in the circle. They waved one last time at the villagers, before two of the sorcerers whisked them away, back to the capital.

Closing his luggage bag, Taehyung chose not to look at him. Folding his arms, Jimin was still waiting for an answer.

"Are you not going to say anything," he said lowly.

"We should be back soon," said Taehyung.

"When?" Jimin stared at him but again the question was left in the air. Pursing his lips, Taehyung finally looked at him.

"It's not like you're going to be left alone. Sowon should be able to keep you company until I return."

"Much like Kai, will keep you company?" Jimin finally said it to his face, "Am I wrong V?" The room felt so small and Taehyung didn't like it. He still loved Jimin but there was another part of him that just...didn't.

"I told you not to call me that anymore?" his teeth gritted. Sighing, Jimin let his arms fall to the side.

"Can we atleast resolve this, before you go?" he looked at Taehyung pleadingly. However, they were unable to continue the rest of their discussion as knocks were heard on the front door. Taehyung moved so that Jimin could step out to answer it.

Placing his bags together, Taehyung heard whispers coming from the front. Walking out he saw it was his sister and Chae.

"Taehyung!" Jennie beamed at him as he rose a curious eyebrow.

"What's going on?" he asked seeing that Jimin's eyes were wide. Jennie turned into Chae's arms, who welcomed her gladly. Noting where Jimin was staring, his eyes followed. The bracelet fit well on his sister's wrist, while the ring appeared to be made for her. Heart-shattering, Taehyung always thought that Jimin's grandparents' communion stones would one day be his. For their unity. It seemed that their conversation had been resolved after all.

"Chae and I are going to be in communion Tae," said Jennie giddily.

Taehyung's eyes glossed over with sorrow. He didn't know what this feeling was. None of them appeared to notice. Jimin let out a happy laugh as he pulled both women into his arms. Patting his sister on the back he spoke proudly.

"I told you she'd say yes," hearing that from Jimin made the first tear escape from Taehyung's eyes. Did he give his grandparents stones to his sister? The thought made Taehyung realise that Jimin never truly planned on being in communion with him. How many years has it been now? Something regretful covered his lips.

"Tae?" Jennie looked at her brother with worry. They turned to him, but he shook his head and forced a smile.

"I'm just happy for you Jen," he wiped away at his eyes, "I wish you both nothing more than blessings," Jimin heard the strain in his voice, it made him shift guiltily.

"Thank you, Taehyung," Chae spoke graciously, "Those words mean more than you know," she looked down at Jennie who kissed her. The door opened and Kai stepped inside, queryingly.

"Taehyung! We need to go," his voice dwindled seeing the group.

"Ah, did you all come to say farewell?" Jennie looked at her brother.

"Are you going somewhere?" she asked, and Taehyung nodded, eyes back on the bracelet and ring.

"Yes, we are traveling to the Capital, to continue the sermons there. Would you like me to inform our mothers of the good news?" the smile was less forced this time.

"What good news?" Kai looked at them all.

"Chae and Jennie will be in communion," said Jimin proudly. Kai's eyes widened and soon after he was clapping happily.

"Oh my that is wonderful news!" he stepped forward, arms open but Chae pulled Jennie closer to her and stepped back. Arms lowering, his smile didn't falter.

"Who asked?"

"Chae did," said Jennie happily and Kai snickered.

"Ofcourse she did," his tone made Chae glare at him, "Whose heirlooms shall be used for this unity?"

"Our mother's parents. I gave Chae the stones our grandmother used to ask our other grandmother for communion," said Jimin and Kai nodded.

"That's lovely, may I see them?" and Jennie shyly lifted her arm. Eyes peering over the bracelet he deduced it must be pink topaz. But it was the black gemstone ring that caught his eye. Chae saw where his focus was and quickly intertwined her hand into Jennie's. Kai smirked.

"Anyway, we must be heading off now. The carriage is waiting," he looked at Taehyung.

"Don't tell them yet," said Jennie and smiled up at Chae, "We'd like to do it ourselves," and Taehyung nodded in understanding. He and Kai made their way to the door, his head bowed solemnly. Jimin waited for him to turn around. But he didn't. Door closing behind them Kai was the only one who looked back and said goodbye.

Chaerin looked at Clive who just shook his head.

"This is the last thing we need," he sighed but Chaerin shrugged.

"We didn't know which general it would be. Atleast we were able to keep the territory," she said.

"Yes, but now they know of Chaeyoung," said Clive and looked over at his son.

"She was our only option," said Taemin. His father stared at him blankly.

"They would've found out about her eventually Clive," Chaerin leaned back in her seat.

"I spoke with Bella earlier as well," she continued, "Our funds are running thin. If nothing is done, then we might have to concede major territories in exchange for peace."

Taemin was surprised to hear deep laughter come from his father. He and Chaerin watched in shock as Clive's body bubbled in giggles. It lasted to a point where tears were forming on the edge of his eyes.

"And now we can't even consult the king, who hides away from what? Who knows," he calmed down, "He doesn't even visit his own wife, whose days are as numbered as the kingdom he rules."

Chaerin sighed deeply, completely understanding where he was coming from. It felt as though he, Bella and herself were the only ones shouldering this burden. Eon refused to see any of them. Taemin looked between his two mentors, having never seen them look so lost.

"It's not over yet," he spoke firmly. They both turned to him, "There are still ways in which we can put an end to this war and silence the rebellion."

"And where do you purpose we start?" asked his father.

"I don't know yet," he looked down but continued speaking confidently, "But I am certain things will come to an end. We must not lose faith," he looked up and found them both smiling at him.

"You're right son, we must not give up," smiled Clive and Chaein nodded with them.

"Good," said Taemin, "Now regarding the Chaeyoung situation, I think its best that she's moved to my unit permanently," Chaerin raised an eyebrow at his boldness. She heard Clive chuckle again.

"Is there a reason why? It might be best that she remains where she is. Unit 278 will not be deployed to a critical battle zone," she said.

"I understand that," he folded his hands, "But I think its time she gained some guidance. There's no point in us waiting for her to have another episode. She's no longer a child. We might even be able to avoid a similar occurrence if we instructed her in the right direction."

"And you think you have the ability to do so?" asked Clive.

"I do," said Taemin.

"I'm assuming you've already gotten approval from her older brother then?"

"You can assume what you like," said Taemin and Clive laughed at how easy it was to read his son's intentions.

He turned to Chaerin, "Who better to keep an eye on her," he shrugged, "She might even be able to help us end this thing. Perhaps Taemin has a point."

Blowing out some air Chaerin nodded, "Alright," she agreed, "I'll transfer her to your unit," Taemin smiled. But then Chaerin gave him a serious stare, "Make sure nothing happens to her. I don't know who'd my daughter would kill first if anything did," she reached for a piece of paper.

Nodding, Taemin wondered how many more people he'd be making this promise to, "Don't worry Commander. I'll make sure she'll be okay."

Remaining quiet, Lisa admired the way in which the light fell on her. It made Jisoo appear luminous. The monitor buzzed softly the magi-energy seeping through the pipes and into the queen's veins. As she was about to turn a page, she saw that someone was in the room. Their eyes met, making both smile happily. Shutting the book, she placed it down and ran to give Lisa a hug.

"You're back," she whispered and nuzzled into Lisa's neck, wanting more of her scent. Lisa's eyes closed involuntarily. She lost herself in the moment, hoping Jisoo would never let go. And for an instant, it appeared she wouldn't. But then the nurse bumped in passed them.

Separating, they stared tenderly at each other. The nurse bustled around, weaving more magi-energy into the make-shift monitor. Eyes turning to the bed, Lisa saw that the queen was thinner than before. Her mouth turned straight, making Jisoo look back too.

"How is she?" asked Lisa.

"As best as can be," sighed Jisoo. Her mouth tensed as the silence continued, "Let's talk in my chambers," she smiled at Lisa who nodded. Walking over to her mother, Jisoo placed a kiss on her cheeks. The red covered book in hand, she gestured for Lisa to walk ahead since the younger woman knew the way better than anyone.

There was loud chatter all around the resting room. Jimin had not seen so many people in his hut in a while. Duncan was already drunk, while D.K. kept refilling his glass. Chungha and Ren were huddled alone in a corner while Kali appeared to be talking seriously with Jennie.

Tain and Lain were playing music, songs unfamiliar to him but still carried a hint of home. Dahyun had arrived some hours before. She and Jaehyun were speaking excitedly next to him. Peering over the room, his eyes fell on Sowon. They stared at each other from across the room with Sown raising her glass to him. Smiling timidly, he did the same.

"Your brother looks a little down," she sipped lightly. Chae's eyes were in that direction too but hers were focused Dahyun. They still hadn't spoken about what had happened.

"I'm sure he and Taehyung had another argument," said Chae and turned at the sound of Sowon laughing.

"When are they not fighting," she chuckled. Tain's voice filled the room in a beautiful melody, the string instrument Lain was playing suited it well.

"I'm surprised you asked her today," said Sowon and Chae's eyes lowered slightly.

"I had meant to ask her yesterday really," she smiled at the picnic she'd planned for them, "But then I got called away so," she shrugged.

"It doesn't matter now. She's already said yes," grinned Sowon.

"She has, hasn't she," a goofy expression covered her friend's face as she looked over at the brunette. It was a look she'd only ever seen once before on Chae and back then it was also caused by the sight of Jennie. Gaze shifting between the two young women, Sowon felt a familiar sense of foreboding. There really was nothing to be concerned about, she thought. But still, a part of her refused to be convinced.

"Where's Devlin?"

"I don't know but I'm sure he'll be here shortly," said Sowon.

"Alright," said Chae and saw Jennie give her big eyes. It appeared that Kali's talk was becoming too much, "Excuse me, So, I think Jennie needs me," she bobbed her head. Laughing, Sowon nodded in understanding and wished her goodluck.

Lisa didn't know when it happened but somehow, she was underneath the covers of Jisoo's bed, with the princess moving lazy kisses up her body. Biting her lip as Jisoo finally reached her face, she leaned up needy. Dark locks covered her face as Jisoo pulled her as close as possible. It was the kind of kiss only Jisoo was capable of. Heart-stopping.

"I missed you so much," whispered Jisoo as she bit some skin on Lisa's shoulder.

"I missed you more," Lisa whispered back earning a sweet giggle and another bite on the shoulder, "I think it's time I returned to our unit," her words made Jisoo pause. Moving to lie next to her, she spoke softly.

"Did you see something?" and Lisa nodded. Moving away a strand of brown hair, Jisoo stole another kiss, "What is it?"

"Devlin came to see Taemin on 2 occasions," began Lisa, "The first was 4 months ago, right after your father announced that he would no longer appear in the Royal Courts. While the second was the night before the attack."

"And was Chae called into the battle?" asked Jisoo and Lisa nodded.

"She basically pulled off another impossible victory," said Lisa as she shifted closer to the other woman, they were practically living on the same breaths now.

"I knew it," said Jisoo, "They must be trying to gain favour and recognition. And with Jimin accepting every other runway forest folk, their popularity is just growing."

Lisa tried kissing the tension away from Jisoo's face, "You're still the heir to the throne Chu."

"Not at this rate Lali," Jisoo shook her head, "My father refuses to see me."

"He refuses to see anyone."

"Not everyone," Jisoo scowled. She was certain now that Devlin was up to no good, "They must be plotting to overthrow my succession Lali. I wouldn't put it past Taemin to come up with something like that."

"The nobility would never allow a forest born child to rule over them Chu," she placed gentle hands on her face and spoke earnestly, "Jimin does not stand a chance against you," the belief in Lisa's eyes made her own water.

"My mother doesn't have much time left," whispered Jisoo, "I cannot let her down."

"And you won't," Lisa her wrapped her arms around her, "You're the rightful ruler to this kingdom Chu," but Jisoo's shoulders shook.

"Then why won't my father see me?" she looked at Lisa tearfully, the bitterness bouncing off her voice, "My mother is dying, and he refuses to see me? As if I am not hurting either," she dragged a hand over her face.

"Who knows what is going on with him Chu," Lisa wiped the wetness away and kissed her again, "All we can do is make sure that you get as much time as you can with your mother."

Jisoo smiled at her words, "You're right," Lisa leaned their foreheads together, making Jisoo want her lips again, "I'll ask Suga to request for your return to our unit. I need you back by my side," she trailed her fingers over Lisa's cheek.

"I'd like that," she bent to kiss Jisoo's chin, "No matter what happens Chu, you'll always be my queen," it was as close to an "I love you" Lisa would ever be allowed. She was the only one who saw Jisoo for what she was.

"As long as I have you with me Lali. You're the only one that matters," whispered Jisoo and they both knew it was a lie. But in the hushes of the chamber, in secret moments like these, they gave in to their unspoken desires and allowed themselves to believe it.

Shaking his head pitifully, Devlin sat down again.

"How much longer will this continue Eon?"

But his friend just reached for the wine, not even caring for the glass this time.

"You have no idea what it's like," he said through burps, "No one could know."

Devlin scoffed at the irony, "The queen did. She knew as much as you do now," Eon's eyes flared with anger.

"Fuck that woman!" he stood up, barely straight, "She never really did love me."

"What did you expect?" Devlin was tired of this, "It was you who chased after your fantasy of her. With no concern about the circumstances in which it was done," Eon kicked the table down, making the guards rush inside. Raising his hand, he ushered for them to leave.

"I DESERVED TO HAVE HER!" he pointed at Devlin.

"Much like you deserved to have the throne?" Eyes wide, the cackle that escaped Eon's lips made him uglier.

"THERE IT IS! FINALLY, YOU SPEAK YOUR MIND," the laughter was like chalk scraping on a board.

Devlin looked down sadly, "He was my best friend too Eon."

Shoulders deflating his voice softened, "I did what my Aunt asked of me," gritted Eon, pain visible on his face now.

"No," said Devlin as he stood up, "You did what your jealousy of him drove you to do," the light escaped from Eon's eyes at those words. Devlin walked over to him and gripped his shoulder tightly.

"And this is your reckoning. They were in love first. You can not blame her for doing what she did," he stepped back with a sigh, "If I was her, I would've done the exact same thing," Devlin looked away, no longer able to see the friend he knew, "I must go now," he said, "Don't drink any more than you need to," and with that he left Eon alone in his chambers, with the hauntings of past decisions his only companion for the night.

The hut was still brightly lit and filled with noise. Katlego and Chungha were trying to convince Jimin and Sowon to play a drinking game with them. Tain and Lain had to return to their posts of guarding the borders of the village but had left the instruments to continue to play music. Seeing him enter through the door, Chae went to greet him.

"You're finally here," she smiled, and he pulled her into a hug.

"Congratulations Chae, your mother would be so proud of you," whispered Devlin.

"You think so?"

"I know so," he pinched her nose making her laugh.

"Where were you?" she offered him some wine, but he declined.

"Visiting an old friend," he said and saw that Kali was sleeping on the carpet.

"How much did he drink?"

Grinning at the heap on the ground Chae shrugged, "It was the only way to stop him from scaring Jennie away from me," she chuckled, and Devlin shook his head.

"He means well. Besides he's been hoping you two would be in communion soon. He's liked her for you since way back when."

"And you?" Chae looked at him over her glass but he just grinned.

"I've always known it would've happened one way or another."

"So, you're an Oracle now?"

Laughing, he stared across the room towards Jennie, sensing the same aura around her from when she was a child, "It's not that. I kind of just had an idea," Chae stared in that direction too and Jennie caught her. Getting up, the brunette made her way over to them.

"I wanted to ask," said Chae, "Might you know where Hyuna or E'dawn are stationed?" Jennie reached them and wrapped her in a hug, "We'd like to inform them."

Devlin shook his head, "No, I do not."

"Aah Kali doesn't seem to know either," frowned Chae, "We were hoping they would be able to attend the ceremony," Jennie kissed her cheek.

"Don't worry too much about it baby. We'll get a hold of them," she said.

"Jennie's right," Devlin's eyes were low, "For now, just focus on tonight," there was loud laughter behind them, and they saw that everyone was focused on the drinking game.

Devlin nudged the two lovers to go over and join in on the fun. Celebrations were few and far between. His eyes softened at how happy the pair looked. They so rarely ever got the chance to be care free, he thought, so even for just one night, they deserved to know the feeling. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

393K 13.5K 45
A story about two souls bound to their past. One without a heart, and one without a soul. What if fate decides to bind them twice? What if their pas...
3.7M 102K 68
Jennie said she's 100% straight, but she's not homophobic either. It's just that she has been inlove with a guy for almost 5yrs now. But, what if one...
19.2K 846 12
Stardust; A feeling or impression of romance, magic, or ethereality. They thought they would be two ships in the night after running into each other...
Gain By scolric

Fanfiction

58.1K 3.1K 47
"You placed me in a position I never knew I needed. But here I am in front of you. Desperate and ashamed." Park Chaeyoung A fanfiction dedicated to a...