A F T E R D A R K | PAUL LAH...

By laurenperry9

Sophia and Isabella Swan were polar opposites, fraternal twins with little in common. Born to Renée and Charl... More

C A S T
T W I L I G H T
00
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
N E W | M O O N
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
E C L I P S E
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
B R E A K I N G | D A W N | P A R T 1
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
B R E A K I N G | D A W N | P A R T 2
48
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
A/N
A/N 2
58 - BC.1
59 - BC.2
60 - BC.3
61 - BC.4
A/N 3
62 - BC.5
Little update
Announcement
Coming soon..
Sequel

49

30.3K 926 329
By laurenperry9

I was minding my own business, in the land of my own, as I walked up to Carlisle's from my car. I was so into my thoughts, thinking about Paul and I's very weird exchange last night that I didn't even see a furious Jacob Black as he ran aggressively out of the house. To be fair, I don't even think he saw me either as he knocked me straight on to my ass.

"What the hell?" I spluttered out in irritation, looking up to Jacob as he fumed.

He held his hand out to help me up, "I didn't see you, sorry."

"Clearly." I muttered, rubbing the dirt off my backside, "What's gotten you into a twist?"

He arched a brow at me, I could feel confusion as it balanced out his anger, "Did you know they're leaving?" He asked.

"Who?" I pulled my lips downwards in confusion.

"The Cullens, Edward, your sister."

My brows climbed up my head, "They're what?!" My voice rose in exasperation.

"Leaving." Jacob repeated.

I smacked his shoulder in irritation, "I heard you the first time you moron." I snapped, rolling my eyes I turned away from him and stormed up into the living room. Bella and Edward were already there, Emmett sat on the sofa as Carlisle sat at the breakfast bar, "Why didn't anyone think to tell me you're all leaving?" I yelled irritably.

Slowly they turned to look to me and Bella's lips parted.

"Sophia keep your voice down, Renesmee's in the house." Edward said to me.

"Well then Rosalie can take her outside." I fumed, "When were you going to tell me!"

"I—soon, Soph I-I'm sorry." Bella stuttered, walking out of Edwards arms.

"You're sorry are you?" I asked bitterly, "Well I suppose that makes everything better doesn't it?"

Jasper and Alice snuck slyly into the room and I felt him trying to discreetly alter my mood. I glanced over at him and narrowed my eyes at him and no sooner did I feel my anger return in full swing.

"There's no other option." Carlisle interfered, always the mediator, "Once people believe Bella is dead—"

"—Believe she's what now?" I echoed loudly. I rounded on Bella, "You're going to tell Charlie you died? Force me to live with the lie and support him while you piss off to another country to live your happy life with Edward and Renesmee?" I asked.

"It's not like that—" Bella tried to say.

"—Isn't it?" I snapped, narrowing my eyes, "What about mom? What about Jacob who just imprinted on your child? You're seriously going to tear the best thing in his life away from him just after he found it?" I scoffed humourlessly, "You really are a right asshole to him you know, Bella?"

"Don't make her feel any worse than what she already does Sophia." Edward said whole rolling his eyes at me.

"Shut up Edward." I fired, looking back to Bella, "Because you're not imprinted on or you can imprint on a person you'll never understand the pain you're about to subject Jacob to. The poor man's been pretty much miserable since he shifted because he didn't imprint on you but now he has and Ness is the one he's finally happy and you're going to rip that away from him without a care."

"I do care, Sophia." Bella tried to snap but it was clear she wasn't very angry, unlike me, "Jacob can come with us."

"You think he'd leave his family just like that? Leave Billy?" I asked, snapping my fingers for the added affect, "That's real presumptuous of you but he wouldn't do that because he cares for others around him unlike you!"

Edward tried to stop me again, actually coming to me and grabbing my arm, "Sophia—"

I grabbed Edwards wrist and watched as he fell to his knees groaning in pain, small electrical sparks emitting from our connection. Without even thinking about it was using Kate's gift on him.

He let go of my arm immediately and pulled himself back up to his feet, retreating back to be with my sister. Silence consumed the living room as everyone watched wearily, Bella's eyes were wide as she looked between  Edward and I.

"You don't understand." She tired to accuse, going on to say something else but I didn't allow her to continue.

"I do." I told her, my voice no longer raised, "I understand perfectly. You'd leave me behind, Jacob, Charlie— everyone after everything we've done for you." She shook her head but no words came from her mouth, "I don't even know why you asked me to be Renesmee's godmother knowing I wouldn't even be around to watch her grow up. I'm practically that family member who sees everyone never—"

"—Sophia you're not that." Bella whined in frustration, "You'll always be her aunt."

I shook my head, "She'll sharply forget about me Bella, especially when she has Alice and Rosalie by her side."

"Then come with us." She tried.

"And leave Charlie to grieve on his own? Leave my life behind. Be unhappy following you around like a dog, watching you and your family be happy together?" I shook my head, "Don't get me wrong Bella, I'm over the moon for you— for your own little family— but you haven't changed."

"What's that supposed to mean?" She asked questioningly.

"You're just the same selfish person you've always been." I told her without a second thought, "Leaving Jacob in pieces for Edward after he'd done so much for you.. running off to Italy knowing fine well I was in hospital— you know? Where was I when you were in hospital after being bitten by James? Oh yeah, that's right. I was there, lying to mom and dad about the entire thing by your side for days until you pulled around. Yet you couldn't even pay me a visit until after your spontaneous trip away." I scoffed, "You know maybe it's my fault for being so naïve.."

I paused, waiting for Bella to say something. Giving her the opportunity to defend herself but she never did.

"I put my relationship at risk, my happiness at risk, to protect you.. but now I'm thinking it was all a waste anyways, because if the time ever came you probably wouldn't even return the favour."

"Sophia, wait—" 

I turned around and shook my head as I stood by the door, my hand squeezing the handle tightly. Through clenched teeth I glared back at her, "No." I said simply, "I'm going to find Renesmee, spend what little time I have left with her."

I slammed the door behind me, leaving behind a speechless family as I looked for Rosalie and Renesmee. After all I'd done for Bella she was still the same selfish person she'd been all along and unless she changed her ways I could safely say I wouldn't be sharing another conversation with her ever again. Not once had I ever had a thank you, kiss my ass— nothing — from her for what I'd done to help her and it just went to show really.

As I stormed into the trees, taking Renesmee from Rosalie, I walked silently as the child giggled innocently. She'd no idea what had just gone on, instead she was just so happy to see me and it really tore at my heart strings.

But the further I walked the more I realised that everything I'd said to Bella, no matter how horrible, was true and I didn't regret one single word that slipped out of my mouth.

* * *

Renesmee sat on the top of my knees as she looked around curiously, her big brown eyes taking in every little detail. I sat against a thick tree trunk as I watched her.

It was just me and my thoughts given Renesmee hadn't acquired the ability of talking yet — but I wouldn't be surprised if she started talking within the next few days. There was just something about being outside that comforted me, the soft wind, the sound of the leaves brushing against each other, the birds chirping away in the sky.

As a breeze passed Renesmee and I a strong wet-dog scent wafted passed me. Not a second later I heard twigs and branches snapping to my left and glanced sideways to see who it was on patrol. A sandy brown coloured wolf and a grey wolf emerged, the grey wolf a fraction taller than the brown one.

Quil and Paul stood still while looking at Renesmee and I. The child's eyes widened drastically and she looked to the two in complete awe and shock. I chucked under my breath as I looked down to her but when I glanced up again Paul was gone.

Instead I only faced Quil, still in his wolf form, and disappointment was quick to overwhelm me.

I was shocked when Paul reemerged from the dense trees in his human form, shorts and a sleeveless top on.

I got to my feet quickly, sitting Ness on my hip as he turned to Quil and gestured him away with a tilt of his head. Quil complied immediately and turned to retreat, taking Paul and I's attention as we watched him leave.

Once he was gone and Paul looked back to me I smiled apologetically, "I'm sorry.. I didn't realise how far I'd actually walked."

Paul shook his head, his lips curving upwards to form a small smile as he shoved his hands into his pockets, "It's not your fault." He responded, "You're allowed on Quileute territory, Soph."

"I am?" I asked meekly, arching a brow.

Paul nodded and his eyes left mine to look to the child sitting in awe in my arms, "Is this Renesmee?" He asked curiously.

I looked down to my niece and grinned, nodding my head, "Yeah.. this is she." I said, taking a step closer to him.

Paul too stepped closer, "She looks so old." He commented, a mix of confusion and astonishment.

Absentmindedly we continued to walk closer together, as if an invisible magnet was pulling us towards each other. It wasn't until we were stood foot to foot did we realise how close we were and Renesmee was the only thing between us.

She babbled at Paul, smiling brightly as she reached out to him. Paul glanced up at me, "She's a people person." I told him, "You don't have to."

He gave me a small smile as Renesmee grabbed his finger, gripping it with her hand. He rose a brow as he looked down at her, "Strong grip."

I nodded, "She's a six month old born three days ago." I said, looking down at her.

There was silence between Paul and I as we both watched Renesmee but I couldn't help but frown, wondering just how much time I'd have left with her.

"What's wrong?" Paul asked quietly.

I peered up at him and shook my head dismissively, "Nothing."

He reached up and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and I leaned into his hand as it lingered, his touch burning me, "I know that's a lie."

I laughed shortly under my breath, "Yeah."

"So what's going on? Bella's alive, you have Renesmee. I thought everything was looking up?"

"It was." I sighed, rubbing my tongue over my bottom lip, "They're leaving.. my sister, Carlisle, the entire family."

"Leaving?" Paul echoed.

I nodded, "It gets worse." I replied, "They're going to tell Charlie that Bella died in order to get him off her back."

Both his brows rose slightly in shock and his lips parted. Paul was entirely speechless and instead of replying he leaned in and pressed his lips against my forehead, giving me a lasting kiss, "You're not going with them."

"How could I?" I asked, "Why would I leave my life behind to follow them around like a dog, watching Bella have a happy life while I'm miserable."

"But won't you be miserable leaving them?" He asked.

I shook my head, "I love her but she's bloody self-absorbed.. anyways I shouldn't even be saying this around her." I gestured to Ness, "She takes in everything like a hawk."

He chuckled shortly and nodded, "What about Jake?"

"That's the worst part about it.. she doesn't understand the imprinting bond so she doesn't really care about how Jacob would feel taking Ness from him."

Paul shook his head, "I really feel shit for him. I couldn't imagine someone taking you away from me."

I flushed, closing my eyes for a millisecond. He caused my stomach to twist, my palms to sweat. I leaned into his hand, "What are you doing to me, Lahote?"

I felt his fingers as he pushed them through my hair, cupping behind my head, "I think the question is, what are you doing to me?" He responded just as quiet as me.

Renesmee giggled randomly but hell it was loud. I bit my lip, shaking my head as I pulled away from Paul's touch. As I looked down to Ness she grinned happily up at me and I sighed, "You pick your moments, Ness."

Paul chuckled under his breath, "If she wasn't here right now I'd kiss you."

I glanced up at him, "She's not actually a newborn baby Paul." I told him, "She's an overly aware child who's gift is showing people memories."

Paul's jaw dropped slightly before he dropped his head back and groaned.

If Ness ever showed anyone bar Paul and I this memory we were screwed.

* * *

I'd expected everything to have calmed down when I returned with Renesmee, not to have blown up even more.

As soon as I stepped foot inside Rosalie nabbed Ness from my hands and whisked her away to spend time with her. She pointed me in the direction of the living room and when I walked in Alice was putting something into Bella's eyes.

I recoiled back in the doorway and frowned, "Uh, what the hell?"

Bella looked at me but didn't say anything and I noticed her eyes were suddenly brown again. I furrowed my brows together, glancing around the living room at the family of vampires and Jacob for answers.

It was Jacob who sighed, his arms crossed over his chest, "Charlie's coming over." I didn't say anything but my brows climbed high up my forehead in shock.

"Jacob told him about werewolves." Edward muttered, glancing back at him.

My eyes widened in shock and horror, "You did what?"

"I had to!"

"Why?" I yelled high-pitched, I couldn't believe what he was saying to me.

"Because they were going to leave."

"So you told him you're a werewolf?" I yelled, "How does that have anything to do with Bella staying or leaving?" Anger didn't fuel me but rather his ridiculous stupidity, "What about Paul, Seth, Leah— ohhhh." I collapsed into the arm chair behind me as I comprehended what he was saying.

"I didn't mention anything about them." Jacob told me with confidence, "Just me, only me."

"What were you doing telling him in the first place?" I asked with a sigh, dropping my shocked voice back to its usual tone.

"I was solving a problem, I told him Bella was better but in order for her to get better she had to change."

I stood up slowly as my lips parted, looking at Jacob seriously, "Did you—?"

He shook his head immediately, "—I didn't tell him she, you're, vampires. I only told him she had to change."

"I don't understand." I shook my head, calmly, "You could've done that without showing yourself to Charlie. If the Volturi ever get an inkling their way that Charlie knows they will not hesitate to kill him and us, Jake."

He nodded slowly and I heard the sound of a car engine pulling up before it shut off. A car door slammed shut and Carlisle passed me to head down the stairs. With an arched brow I looked around, "Who's that?"

Jacob cringed, "That's Charlie."

Both hands slapped to my cheeks, "Are you mad?! He's coming now?"

Quickly and quietly Esme, Emmett, Alice and Jasper cleared out, giving the space to Bella and Charlie. Jacob went to stand by the stairs as Edward sat next to Bella on the white sofa, one she'd been lying helplessly on less than a week ago.

I stood by the entrance way to the open plan living room-come-kitchen, crossing my arms lightly over my chest. I could feel Bella's gaze on me, feel her questions, her emotions. If she and Edward were staying would I have to apologise for what I'd said to her regarding the selfishness? Or should I just apologise for being rude but not take back my words?

When I heard the footsteps close to me I looked over to my right to see Carlisle leading Charlie in, Edward stood up as they entered and Jacob was behind my dad. Charlie glanced down at me first and I gave him a short hug as his confused eyes darted around for answers.

We pulled away and he turned to my sister, "Bella?"

"Hi, dad."

I watched Bella apprehensively as Edward swallowed nervously. This would be one heck of a challenge for Bella, resisting the overpowering smell of human blood, especially two days after her change. It took me almost three weeks before I could confidently stand in the same room as a human and that's even with me being half immortal.

Charlie's face twisted, "Are you all right?"

"Never better." Bella responded with a convincing smile, "Healthy as a horse."

Charlie nodded, glancing sideways back at Jacob, "You don't turn into an animal, too, do you?" He asked. Bella shook her head and Charlie looked to me, "Sophia?"

"No, dad." I too shook my head.

Jacob put his hand on Charlie's shoulder, "They wish they were that awesome."

Bella looked up to Edward who seemed to understand immediately what she was hinting at. He turned from her to Jacob and walked passed me, "Let's give them some privacy."

Jacob and Carlisle left and I stood routed in my spot, "Do you want me to stay?" I asked, looking between Bella and my dad.

Bella and Charlie nodded, "Jacob told me you're involved in this somehow. I wanna know." Charlie said.

"Okay." I responded as Bella slid over on the sofa to make space for Charlie, I sat down in the arm chair opposite them.

Charlie sighed heavily and I could see how much these last few weeks had taken a toll on him also, "Uh, Jake said that this was necessary." He said, "What does that mean?"

"I really think it would be better—"

Charlie interrupted Bella quickly, "I want to know what happened to you."

"I can't tell you." Bella responded.

"I think I deserve an explanation."

"You do." I nodded, "But if we tell you what's going on then we can't stay."

Charlie stood up, arms flying, "Oh, come on no. No more going away, no more spontaneous trips to Denali." He turned to me.

Bella stood up, "Dad, you're just gonna have to trust that for whatever reason I'm all right. I'm more than all right." She reassured, "Can you live with that?"

"Can I live with that?" He asked rhetorically, "Well, I don't know, Bella.. I mean, I just watched a kid I've known my entire life turn into a very large dog. One daughter looks like my daughter but doesn't and the other keeps running off here and there with mysterious explanations."

My heart twisted hearing Charlie's words and I stood up, "Dad, I'm sorry." I told him, "I'm sorry for the lies and the last minute disappearances. For not coming home for weeks on end with no explanation.. but everything I did was for a reason and it was to protect you."

"I—I don't know Soph." He said.

"Can you just believe that Bella and I will tell you anything that you need to know?" I replied.

"And I don't need to know this?" He asked, "I don't need to know why you had to.. change?"

"No, really, you don't." Bella responded.

"Well, I'm not gonna lose you again.. either of you." He told us.

I wrapped my arm around him and hugged him shortly, "You won't dad, I promise."

Bella joined the hug, "I've missed you girls.. so much."

"I missed you too, dad." Bella responded.

"Charlie?"

I moved away when I heard Edwards voice carry over our moment. He stood at the doorway holding a smiling Renesmee and Charlie's brow arched high.

I rubbed his arm and gave him a small smile, "I'll give you some space."

* * *

A/N; I've barely had the time to breathe this week with how busy I've been, when I checked how long it had been since my last update I hadn't realised it had been five days. My weekend only gets busier from here and until I get home I won't be getting any writing done.

The next chapter won't be released until I finish the one after that and for the first time with this book I'm struggling with writers block but hopefully it'll pass soon. I just thought I'd update you all and apologise in advance! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

812K 27K 80
❝𝘪 𝘢𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘧𝘦𝘭𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘸𝘳𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘭𝘢𝘺 𝘮𝘺 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘯 𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘴. 𝙨𝙤 𝙬𝙝𝙮'𝙙 𝙞𝙩 𝙩𝙖𝙠𝙚 �...
406K 12.4K 34
"𝑰 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝒎𝒆 𝒔𝒄𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒏𝒂𝒎𝒆, 𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒐." ______ OLD VERSION-REMAKE BEGINS AFTER INSATIABLE I...
330K 7K 34
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
518K 14K 38
(UNEDITED TRASH) A Grecian girl is taken from her home in the Mediterranean during a raid in a Christian monestary. She is thrown into dangerous wate...