All The Lies We Tell

By Crazybooklover20

A fateful car accident catapults Ciara Stevenson into a new life. She begins at St. Mary's Catholic school wh... More

Before It All
Chapter 1: The Start Of Something New
Chapter 2: Who am I to you?
Chapter 3: Can You Stand The Rain
Chapter 4: I'll Be Seeing You
Chapter 5: Hidden Things
Chapter 6: No Words
Chapter 7: Sucker For Pain
Chapter 8: It's No Secret
Chapter 9: Not One Of Us
Chapter 10: Everything That Isn't Me
Chapter 11: Somewhere Only We Know
Chapter 12: If I Could Tell Her
Chapter 13: Speechless
Chapter 14: For The First Time
Chapter 15: Fool's Gold
Chapter 16: I Of The Storm
Chapter 18: Truth Hurts
Chapter 19: Would I Lie To You?
Chapter 20: Not In That Way
Chapter 21: If We Have Each Other
Chapter 22: Before You Go
Chapter 23: Learning Curve
Chapter 24: That B!tch
Chapter 25: Queen of Disaster

Chapter 17: Smelly Cat

56 3 0
By Crazybooklover20

Layla's house wasn't at all what I expected. Though it was very similar in size to Parker's and Nate's, unlike theirs, her house felt lived in. The coloured walls were decorated in a collage of pictures of Layla and her family. The furniture looked worn in and the kitchen didn't look staged straight out of an Ikea catalogue. Her house was a home.

We were sat in her den, each of us lounging on a separate couch. After the promised hour and a half of studying, we took a break. Layla made about five packets of homemade popcorn served with three tubs of Ben and Jerry's and we munched as the first episode of Friends played on the huge flat screen. Not long after it started, my thoughts began to wander. I tried to keep them tied to the Tv but then I'd think about Nate and how his shirt rode up ever so slightly as he laid back on the couch. Though I was unable to get myself invested in the sitcom, I laughed when appropriate and forced myself to seem engaged. Somehow, I couldn't focus on Rachel's trivial problems when my own were plaguing me. As I shovelled another spoonful of chocolate fudge brownie ice cream into my mouth, my phone buzzed. It was a text from Emilio.

"Hey, just wanted to see how you're doing."

I had nothing against Emilio personally. He'd never been anything but nice to me, but I couldn't shake the feeling that he was only texting to make sure I didn't have cold feet.

"All good!" I replied, with the smiling emoji.

The credits popped up on the screen as I placed my phone down along with the empty tub. Layla turned to me, her expression hopeful.

"Okay so it takes a few episodes for you to really get into it but what do you think thus far?"

I smiled. "I like Joey, he's funny."

"Joey? Hmm, I had you pegged for a Ross kind of girl."

I snuck a glance at Nate who was too busy looking at his phone to participate in the conversation. I shook my head lightly and faced Layla. "Nope, he's too much of a goodie two shoes. Joey seems like more fun."

Layla shrugged. "All the same to me. As long as you keep your tentacles away from the Chan man."

I laughed a raised my right hand. "Scout's honour."

Just then my phone buzzed again. This time it was mom.

"Hey baby,  I'm going to be home in about forty minutes but I ordered us a pizza. It should be there within half an hour."

I bolted from the couch, clutching my phone in my hands. "I have to go," I exclaimed.

"Aww, party pooper. We were just getting started," Layla whined.

I reached for my bag and began putting everything inside. I was about to reach for my notebook when a pale hand picked it up. I looked to see Nate standing before me, that same smirk playing on his lips.

"Thanks," I said as I took the notebook.

Then I zipped up my bag and pulled it onto my shoulder. At the same time, Nate picked up his bag.

"I should head out too," he announced.

I tried not to look too surprised. Rather than replying, I turned to Layla.

"I'll see you later," I said.

She waved a hand dismissively. "Go, be free."

I offered her an apologetic smile.

"Later Lays," Nate said as we left the room.

We walked to the front of the house in silence. Once we'd reached the foyer, I bent down and slipped on my loafers. I kept my eyes down, not wanting to get distracted.

As soon as I was outside, I took a few deep breaths and checked the time on my phone. Mom said the pizza would be there in less than half an hour and it was about a eighteen minute bike ride home. If I peddled quickly, I should make it with more than enough time to spare.

I picked up my bike and walked it down to the sidewalk where Nate was standing. I stopped and faced him.

"You...I should go," I stammered.

I threw my leg over and sat down. My hands clutched the handlebars and I would have been off if it weren't for Nate standing directly in path.

He leaned forward and placed his hands over mine, grasping both them and the handles tightly.

"Not so fast," he said. "You're always running off."

I shook my head. This time I actually had a valid reason. Mom would be pissed if the pizza guy got there and no one was there to get it.

"See, I'm here trying so hard to figure you out but it's like trying to read an instruction manual in Japanese."

"I'm not worth figuring out, I promise you," I replied quickly, unable to keep the urgency from my voice.

"Aren't you though?"

I blinked and there he was, less than a few inches from my face. He was so close I could see the faded freckles that dotted the apples of his cheeks. Had they always been there?
His grey eyes peered at me, crinkled around the corners with amusement. The last time he was this close, we'd kissed. And just like last time, every cell in my body begged for him. For his touch.

"Ciara?" he breathed. The way my name sounded on his tongue sent tingles down my spine. And though I'm sure I could listen to him talk all day, I didn't give him the chance to say another word.

I closed the distance between us, meeting his lips with such a fervour our teeth clanged. There was no hesitation this time. He released my hands to pull me in closer. As our bodies collided, my thoughts melted away. I couldn't remember why I was so worried only seconds ago. I couldn't conjure up a thought that didn't involve him. And the way he felt pressed against me. He became the sun in my solar system, and I revolved solely around him. And just when I thought this couldn't get any better, he released a soft groan from deep within and I just about melted. Until, I felt myself literally falling. I pulled back just in time to plant both feet firmly on the ground, saving both Nate and I from certain disaster.

We shared a look before dissolving into a fit a laughter. "You should see the look on your face," Nate said between chuckles.

I shook my head. "You should see yours!" I countered.

As we sobered, my prior train of thought came rushing back. I straightened and I didn't need to check the time to know that I'd wasted too much of it.

"Shit," I exclaimed.

Nate's brows furrowed in confusion. "What?"

I just shook my head and turned my handle bars, angling away from him.

"I'll see you later," I said before I pushed off.

I'd like to say I didn't look back, but then I'd be lying.

***

I pulled up at the same time the pizza guy was getting out of his car. I greeted him in the driveway and beckoned him to the front door. I ran inside, grabbed a few bills mom kept underneath the flower pot on the dinning room table and rushed back to the door. I handed him the bills making sure he got a proper tip before I took the box of pizza and along with the brown paper bag. I thanked him once more before shutting the door. I placed the pizza down on the table and then took big, hulking breaths. I wasn't sure how I managed to get here so fast and I'm sure every inch of my legs were going to be sore come morning but it was worth it. Rather than standing there, reminiscing about twenty minutes ago, I reached for the box and opened it. A large Hawaiian with bacon and pineapple and ham stared back at me, looking absolutely scrumptious.

As I let the lid fall shut, I heard the clacking of the keys against the lock. A few seconds later, mom appeared, a wide smile on her face.

"You better not have dug in without me."

I shook my head. "Wouldn't dream of it."

Together we curled up in front of the TV with the pizza and two bottles of island soda. We watched Dwayne Johnson's most recent action-packed movie.
It was short and predictable but it was tradition. When dad was here, the three of us would sit down once a week and eat dinner in front of the TV. It was always an action-pack with lots of gun shots and running scenes. Since his death, mom insisted we continued and so she'd always make enough for three and pour a glass of rum for him. I never questioned her process,  I figured this was just her way of coping. And even after the accident, when loud blasts and erratic sound effects put me on edge, I endured our movie nights, if only for her sake.

"Your phone's ringing," Mom said, pulling me from my thoughts.

I looked at her and then down at the coffee table where my phone was buzzing. I reached for it and checked the caller I.D. I didn't recognize the number and looked over to mom, who was watching me curiously. I remembered what she had said to aunty Stella.

"It's my friend Layla," I told her.

She raised a single eyebrow. "You haven't told me much about her."

My phone stopped ringing and I shrugged. "She's nice. We have a few classes together."

"Alright, well this movie's almost over. Don't let me stop you," she said, barely able to contain her excitement.

I grabbed my empty plate and stood up. "Okay."

I walked to the kitchen where I rinsed off my plate and then put it in the dishwasher. Then I headed outside to sit on the closed in deck. The mesh window screens kept me dry from the rain but allowed for the soothing pitter patter to come through. I curled myself up onto the bench and checked my phone. One missed call and two unopened messages.

"Hey, It's Nate."

"Are you busy?"

I was taken aback. I hadn't given Nate my number but even so, I was shocked that he would text me.

"Hey, no I'm not. What's up?"

A few moments after my message was delivered, my phone began to buzz. The same number as the last time. I picked it up on the second ring.

"Hello?"

Nate voice came through the phone, loud and clear. "Hey Ciara."

I tried not to sigh audibly. I could listen to him say my name everyday for the rest of my life and never tire of it.

"What's up?" I asked him.

There was a long pause and for a second, I thought the line had disconnected.

"I just...needed...well, I'm not sure. Honestly, I didn't even think you'd pick up." He said with low chuckle.

"I wasn't going to but then I got your texts and well...by the way, how did you get my number?"

"I uh, asked Layla," he replied sheepishly.

I let out a small laugh. Of course! I was foolish not to have figured it out.

"Anyways, what are you up to?" Nate asked.

"I was watching a movie with my mom but it was kinda crappy so now I'm here, talking to you." 

A loud noise cut me off. It sounded awfully like the blaring of a horn.

"Hey, where are you?" I asked him.

"I'm driving along Mount Pleasant--

I bolted upright. "Why would you text me?" I exclaimed.

"Well I called first but when you didn't pick up I just--"

"No. Hang up!" I demanded, cutting him off.

He was quiet for a few moments. "I'm using hands free calling. Trust me, you don't have anything to worry about."

It didn't matter. That wouldn't ever matter. Because it only took a second of distracted driving to cause a catastrophe.

"Nate if you don't hang up, then I will."

"Ciara, it's not that big of a deal."

Those words were jagged icicles plunged straight through my chest. They hurt more than he'd ever know.

"Your life is a big deal," I said through clenched teeth. "I'll see you at school."

Then I pulled the phone away from my ear and pressed disconnect. When my phone returned to the home screen, I placed it down beside me and lowered my head. I took in deep, shaky breaths and tried to calm my racing heart. I squeezed my shut and hoped that nothing bad would happen to Nate. I hoped he'd make it home safely. Because though I had only known him for a few months, I couldn't bear the thought of losing someone else I care about. Especially him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 57.8K 64
Some people merely adopt darkness, but she was born into it. Hiding every gloomy secret, covering all the lies, she walks through the life devoid of...
1M 36.1K 42
#1 in Teen Fiction - 26.03.2020 #10 in Romance - 04.10.2020 #1 in Unrequited - 21.02.2020 #1 in LoveTriangle - 01.01.2020 # 14 in Angst - 20.20.2020 ...
146K 1.5K 21
Ashley is a normal high schooler, trying to get through her last year of high school as fast as she can. She has a boyfriend and best friends. She st...
117K 3.2K 42
❝𝘖𝘩, 𝘐 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘪𝘵 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘐 𝘩𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘪𝘵 𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦. 𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘐 𝘥𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘰𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘮...