Chocolate Emergency

By Enterintomymind

❝Devlin was Alice's home. As long as he was around, she would never feel homeless❞ A chocolate emerge... More

Note
Prologue
One Chocolate Bar
Two Eyes
Three colors
Four Pads
Five Sparrows
Six Tears
Seven Leaves
Eight Webs
Nine Zombie
Ten Waves
Eleven Stars
Twelve Girl
Thirteen Heart
Fourteen Angel
Fifteen Yarn
Sixteen Bad Blood
Seventeen Collision
Eighteen Control
Nineteen Hell
Twenty Phoenix
Twenty-one Favor
Twenty-two Slut
Twenty-three Trust
Twenty-four Tea & Lanterns
Aℓιcє'ѕ вє∂
Twenty-five Home
Twenty-six Wait & Watch
Aℓιcє'ѕ ѕмιℓє
Twenty-eight Not Love
Twenty-nine Always
Thirty Nights
Aℓιcє'ѕ Tєαяѕ
Thirty-one Storms
Epilogue
Sequel [blanket of stars]

Twenty-seven Drunk

16.7K 1K 216
By Enterintomymind

Twenty-seven Drunk

I sat on the windowsill, watching the orange honey sun peak from the horizon, past the yellow haloed clouds. It was exactly two weeks ago when I had been sitting in my room back home, watching the sunrise with despair lurking inside my heart.  

Now here I sat again, in Bre's guest room, watching the same sun, watching the same sky but everything felt different.  

It would be unfair to say that Devlin changed me. He did not. He never tried to change me. Somehow it felt like he knew the old me. He knew that I was not who I pretended to be.  

He has simply set me free, unbinding me from the shackles that had kept me down.  

But still doesn't mean that he's the one who brought the real me out.  

I myself brought this change. No human being can ever change you. You always have to be the one to take the initiative.  

Everything had failed though. I wasn't supposed to fall for him, not this madly. Maybe he wasn't a blessing, maybe he was a disease, a disease that won't ever kill me. 

△▼△▼△

"Alice!" I nearly fell off the bed, the novel I had been reading landed on the floor with a loud thud. Bre barged into my room like a merry child who had gotten a new toy for Christmas. "Holy shit! You won't believe it!" 

She gripped my shoulders with both hands. She had gone out to meet Yuv's parents for lunch. I'm guessing that it had gone well. 

"They liked you," I grinned.  

She shook her head, for a moment my heart fell. "THEY LOVED ME!" 

"I told you,"  

"I was fretting for nothing. I mean they're so nice and his mom thought my tattoos were cool. She even asked me from where I got my haircut." Bre pointed at her short cut hair that barely went past the nape of her neck.  

"She's sounds amazing," I watched Bre twirl a strand of hair around her index finger. "I have another good news for you," 

"What is it?"  

"I cleared all my exams," The results had come this morning, just after Bre had left with Yuv. It was uploaded on my school account online. I got 83% in communication applications, 75% in botany, and 98% in human health science. It was more than what I could've hoped for. My hard work had finally paid off.  

There was radiant smile on Bre's face.  

"You know what this calls for?" There was a look on her face that told me whatever was running around in her mind wasn't good. "A party," 

"I'm not the party type..." I started out but she was quick to interrupt me.  

"First, I'm going to change into my pajamas... this dress is too chocking the shit outta me," She pointed at her tight-fitted maroon dress. I furrowed my eyebrows together in confusion. "Oh! Come on, I'm not talking about a hardcore party. Devlin would kill me. Just a small get together. Brandon and Yuv are downstairs. Bear with them until come down and beat them up," 

"You aren't gonna beat up your boyfriend, are you?" I asked, skeptically.  

A sinister smile over took Bre's features. "You have no idea," 

△▼△▼△

The lounge in Bre's mansion was a serenely calm room. Warm, red curtains covered the walls and the windows, suspending the place into a murky darkness. Yuv was sitting by the fireplace when I arrived and Brandon had hoisted himself up on a metal stool by the bar. They were throwing their typical insults across the room.  

I plopped myself down on the black, leather sofa in front of the fireplace.  

Yuv shot me a smile. "Thanks for handling Bre," 

I shrugged my shoulders. "It isn't a big deal," 

Brandon grunted, crossing his muscular arms. It actually made him look really intimidating. "Bre this, Bre that. I get it, dude. You wrecked my gamer girl into this frilly princess," 

Yuv rose from the armchair and stretched him arms whilst stifling a yawn. "Bud, if she heard you..." He left his words hanging in the air.  

Brandon stiffened at once, his piercing honey eyes widened. I bit down on lip so I wouldn't laugh. "Crap, crap," Brandon literally leaped off the metal stool and ran across the mustard yellow rugs. "Swear to me." He gripped Yuv by the collar of his light pink t-shirt. "You won't tell her about this," 

"She's my girlfriend and my would-be wife." I could tell Yuv was deeply enjoying himself. "I can't really hide anything from her. It's kinda an unwritten rule," 

"She'll kill me. She'll skin me alive. I'm your best-friend. Don't do this to me," Oh my, what had Bre done to them? She had a full grown man crying for mercy.  

I began laughing. Brandon stared at me, his skin pale. "Alice, you have no idea. She hits like professional two hundred pound wrestler,"  

Before I could reply, Bre had walked in, wearing black plush pajamas and a t-shirt with a skull painted on it. "Well, thanks for compliment. I suppose you were talking about me." She moved towards Yuv, a different kind radiance on her face. Does love really do that to people? It changes literally everything about them.  

Brandon's hold on Yuv shirt slackened. He gave Yuv a look that said 'you better not.' 

"Seriously though, Brandon get your hands off my boyfriend. I'm seriously having my doubts about you two," Bre smirked. In flash, Brandon withdrew hands and made a face like he was going to vomit any moment now.  

Yuv chuckled. "I'm as straight as a man can get. Especially when I've got you," He learned down slightly since Bre was few inches shorter than him and planted a soft kiss on her cheek. Maybe it was the glow of the fire crackling in the fireplace or maybe Bre was really blushing into different shades of pink.  

I couldn't help myself and smiled at them. "You guys are can't be real. You're too cute," 

Bre buried her head into Yuv's shoulder, black strands of her hair curtaining her face. "Shut up!" 

Brandon, Yuv, and I burst into fit laughter which was a really bad move because each one of us earned a sharp punch. It was true. The girl hit harder than any living wrestler, not that I've been beaten by one to know but the purple bruises adorning our arms was enough to seriously shut us up.  

△▼△▼△

It was around nine in the evening. We sat on the mustard colored rugs, all the furniture had been pushed against the wall. A simple, wooden center table was set between all four of us. Bre had some vibrant indie pop band playing on the stereo above brick fireplace. We were played few boards, made some jokes, and probably laughed more than we actually talked.  

It was my turn to roll the dice when Bre announced something that literally caused my heart to jump out my ribcage.  

"I know how to prove that he really does love you," She whispered, looking thoughtfully at the flames licking the wood, rising and soaring like a bird's wings, cutting through the wind and sky.  

I felt blood rise up to my face. Why did Bre have bring this up now when I was beginning to forget everything?  

Yuv quirked an eyebrow. "Are you talking about Deva by any chance?"  

Brandon shook his head, wearily. "There's no point, Bre. He won't budge." 

"Hey," Yuv clicked his tongue and ran a hand across the rough stubble forming on his sharp jaw. "Let's atleast try," 

I sighed and buried my head into the maze of my arms. The last time I saw him was a week ago. What if he's already forgotten me? Words couldn't describe how much I wanted to see him, to see his lips curve into a smile, watch his warm eyes lure my heart away, to hear him laugh, to feel the gentle warmth of his hand against my skin.  

"Alice, I promised-" Bre began, hesitantly.  

"It's okay. You don't to do anything. None of you have to do anything," 

Brandon squeezed my shoulder. "No, it's not like that. We really want to see both of you happy," 

Yuv who sat on my opposite side met my gaze. "You can't give up on him," He held up his and Bre's adjoined hands. "Believe me, it's worth it in the end," 

I nodded my head and looked at Bre. "What's the plan?" 

"You'll do whatever I say, right?" I was getting an ominous feeling about this but I ignored it.  

"Anything for him,"  

Bre dug her hands into the pocket and pulled out her phone. Without even waiting, she snapped it open, dialed someone's number.  

"I'm putting him on speaker so no sounds whatsoever," 

Yuv placed a finger on his lips, pretending to be a kindergartener stuck in the morning assembly. Brandon simply rolled his eyes.  

"Bre? What's up?" Devlin spoke from the other end. His voice had a slight rough edge to it as though he were in terrible mood. I clenched my fist together, tightly, nails dug deep into my flesh. Did he not miss me at all?  

Bre was watching me, a slight frown pulling her lips down like she knew exactly what I was thinking. "Nothing much," I raised my eyebrow at Bre's mischievous tone. Was she doing this on purpose? 

"Whenever you say nothing, there is always some trouble. What did you do this time? What police station do I need to bail you out from?"  

If my pulse wasn't skyrocketing and my stomach wasn't turning into a flustering mess, I would have laughed at Bre's offended expression. 

"Actually, I'm partying at my place with Yuv, Brandon, and Alice. For your very kind information, Alice has aced her exams," 

"I knew she could do it," I smiled, actually it was my first full-blow my smile after so many days. Then suddenly a panicked Devlin exclaimed. "Wait! Did you say partying? There better not be any alcohol-" 

Bre winked at me. "Oh, sorry. I can't really hear you. The music's too loud. Alice, you go girl! Damn, Devlin you should have been here Alice just drowned ten shots in one go,"  

My mouth fell open. No-way, not in million years. Bre can't be serious.  

I heard Devlin shout a mouthful of curses. "I'm coming there right now!" 

The phone's line went dead. I stared at Bre. My voice seemed to have gone for a vacation to Hawaii.  

"Babe, I sure hope you know how to act drunk," Bre grinned.  

"That was genius," Yuv spoke up. "Deva won't ever tell the somber Alice that he loves her," 

"But he'll definitely let his guard down in front of the drunk Alice," Brandon added, blown away by Bre's ingenious plan. "No wonder you always beat me in COD," 

"There's one problem," Bre was now paling slightly. "He'll slaughter me for letting Alice get drunk," 

Yuv wrapped his arms around Bre's waist and pulled her closer to himself. "How about we get away from here and leave them to solve their problems?" 

"Well, I'm hitting the books, guys." Brandon got from his spot. "I have test in immunology," 

My breathing became shallow, the idea of being alone with a rage blinded Devlin was scaring the living daylights out of me. "No, no. I can't do this," 

"You'll be fine," Bre patted my hand.  

"What if he finds out I'm not actually drunk?" 

"Well less trouble for us then," Yuv smiled, kindly.  

Bre in her sort of persuading voice began. "It's up to you to get him to confess, Alice. I know you can do it. Just pretend to be drunk long enough for him to spill the beans," 

"What if there is nothing to confess?" 

"You don't know that yet" Brandon replied. "We've known him for a long time and I'm pretty sure we can tell when he likes someone," 

In all their eyes, I saw hope. For them, this war was already won. Who was the winner? I don't know. Will my love win? Or will the reality prevail? 

I nodded my head. In the end, it was their love, their friendship, and bond we all shared had pushed me this far. Hopefully, I won't regret this.  

△▼△▼△

The lounge that had been bustling with laughter and noise minutes ago, now lay deserted. I sat on the metal stool by the bar, empty bottles of vodka and shot glasses laid out like an elegant charade.  

My face was buried in the maze of my arms, the cold granite counter didn't faze the sweltering heat inside me.  

I know why he was worried. Being a diabetic patient, I'm supposed stay away from any form of alcohol. My doctor had warned me about it, taking me for a stereotypical teenager who spent their Fridays nights drowning beer cans. She had told me that if I were ever to drink alcohol that I took do it with extreme caution because drinking alcohol would cause my blood sugar to drop significantly.  

I just avoided alcohol in general. It's not like there were any crazy parties in our high-school anyways. People always mistook the fictional movies for reality. Teenagers weren't as screwed up as on the screen. Most of us were actually concerned about careers and impending college tuitions.  

The digital clock behind the counter was flashing 9:33 p.m. in red light.  

There were footsteps, soles of shoes clacking against the floor. Someone was approaching the lounge. I closed my eyes and loosened my fear-stricken limbs. Here he comes, running towards me.  

Breaths were leaving me in a rapidly drag, my lungs ached inside me while cold blood soared through my veins. There was beast inside my stomach, it was crawling up my throat, gnawing everything in its path.  

A hurricane of light swept the lounge. In long strides, he advanced, the distance between us vanishing. He was dressed in a tight, tailored gray suit. Few buttons of his plain white had been set free. A black tie was dangling from his neck. Black strands of hair were sticking at odd angles like he had run his hand through them numerous times.  

His golden brown eyes stared hard at me. At a gap of few inches, he stopped. A vein was protruding out of his neck. He held his jaw in a tensed position.  

Bre's plan seemed easier said than done. Especially when his strong scent surrounded me, when his eyes held mine, when he was actually here and acknowledging my presence.  

I got off the stool, swaying on my feet. No, I wasn't acting my part out. His presence which used calm me down now had me agitated and intoxicated. He grabbed my arms, steading me. His warm breath cascaded down my cheek, treacherous Goosebumps trailed my arms. 

"How much did you drink?" He exhaled.  

I inhaled. Would my voice give it away? Bre's words were looping inside my mind like circles. 'Do things you would never do,' was the only piece of advice she had left for me.  

I looped my arms around his neck. Mother of all things chocolate, if he ever finds out that I'm not drunk, this will be so embarrassing. My lips traced his collarbone, they skimmed above his warm skin. Instantly, Devlin stiffened. His hands were slack against my arms.  

"I...(intake of air)...don't... know," I mumbled against his neck.  

There was parade inside my body, the marching of my heart, the dancing of my stomach, and bursting of my sense.  

"Whe-where is Bre?" Devlin stammered. I placed my hand on his chest, there was something thumping wildly against my cold fingers.  

"I dunno," I whispered.  

He lifted me off the ground. My feet were dangling in the air as he cradled me into his arms. "Promise me, you won't get drunk again," He kissed my forehead, his lips lingered there for some time. "I love you just the way you are," 

To my hide, my shallow breaths and ghastly expression, I buried my face in his chest. Shiver shook my body, hopefully, he didn't notice. He carried me upstairs and set off towards my room.  

I thought I would be happy if he loved me the same way I loved him but I wasn't. Because he thought it was okay to love me and make me think that he didn't. What was he playing at? 

Note: I would have added more but the next chapter is a big mess right now. I really have to figure it out before I start to write it out. I'm not really happy with this chapter but oh well.  

Hope you guys enjoyed it though. ;)  

I'd say roughly about three- four chapters left.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.7K 175 21
Tsukasa Tenma was in the hospital for nearly half of his life, growing up friendless and very shy. His father has always belittled and dejected him...
132 40 16
Experiencing the pain of loosing a loved one, makes our lead Alice, to shut herself off from everyone. A cute and lively girl Cea, enters her life, b...
1.6M 101K 82
Nolan, an unapproachable guy who ignores the existence of all his schoolmates, sleeps in all of his classes. Normally, this wouldn't be Chelsea Arnol...
137K 1.6K 42
Bakubottom // Bakubowl oneshots ♡ [ warning ― slow updates. i have a horrible writing schedule, sorry ]