She's Golden

By bellenuit

(Also affectionately known as "Wolves in the Big City"). Meet George, twenty-eight year old university libra... More

She's Golden
Preview Phase - Human and Wolf
Prologue Phase - The She-Wolf
First Phase: Who's that Chick?
Second Phase: Smell Like a Manly Man
Third Phase: Snarl like a B***h (Edited)
Fourth Phase: G'Day, Mate! (Edited)
Fifth Phase - OMG, M-A-T-E!
Sixth Phase: What the Hell Just Happened?
Seventh Phase: Dress to Impress
Eighth Phase: Anticipation, and Linguistic Flirtation
Ninth Phase: Seduction in Esperanto
Tenth Phase: Always
Eleventh Phase: Mate Tracking 101
Twelfth Phase: What Has Been Seen...
Interlude Phase: Weird Tales of Wolves in the City
Phase Thirteen: ...Cannot Be Unseen
Phase Fourteen: Moondance
Phase Fifteen: The Flirtatious Interruption, pt. 1
Phase Fifteen: The Flirtatious Interruption, pt. 2
Phase Sixteen: Here Cad, Have Medicine
Phase Eighteen: A La Milonga
Phase Nineteen: Hora de La Verdad (The Hour of Truth), pt 1.
Phase Nineteen: Hora de La Verdad (The Hour of Truth), pt 2
Phase Nineteen: Hora de La Verdad (The Hour of Truth), pt. 3
Twentieth Phase: Well, this is awkward...
Interlude Phase: A Sharp-Dressed Man (L&D)
Phase Twenty-One: Sweet Beginnings
Interlude Phase: A Note from Belle Nuit
Interlude Phase: Werewolves These Days/Sh*t City Wolves Say
Phase Twenty-Two: She's So Stealthy, pt 1
Phase Twenty-Two: She's So Stealthy, pt. 2
Phase Twenty-Three: Hello Again, Goodbye
Phase Twenty-Four: The Damn Trophy
Phase Twenty-Five: The Girl is Golden, pt. 1
Phase Twenty-Five: The Girl is Golden, pt. 2
Phase Twenty-Six: Every Bit the She-Wolf
Phase Twenty-Seven: The She-Wolf's Temptation
Phase Twenty-Eight: Feeling You
Phase Twenty-Nine: Bond
Thirtieth Phase: The Morning After
Phase Thirty-One: Dressing to Impress...Again
Phase Thirty-Two: Fumbling Toward Ecstasy
Phase Thirty-Three: Role Reversal
Phase Thirty-Four: A Marked She-Wolf?! pt. 1
Phase Thirty-Four: A Marked She-Wolf?! pt 2
Phase Thirty-Five: Those Pesky Pheromones, pt.1
Phase Thirty-Five: Those Pesky Pheromones, pt.2
Phase Thirty-Six: B***h, Please!
Phase Thirty-Seven: Playing House, pt. 1
Phase Thirty-Seven: Playing House, pt. 2
Phase Thirty-Eight: Golden Protection
Phase Thirty-Nine: Madness in Apartment G, pt 1 (edited)
Phase Thirty-Nine: Madness in Apartment G, pt. 2
Fortieth Phase: The White Wolf
Interlude Phase: No Update This Week
Phase Forty-One: We Belong, pt. 1
Phase Forty-One: We Belong, pt. 2
Phase Forty-Two: Purring on the Job
Phase Forty-Three: Into the Wild, pt. 1 (Edited)
Phase Forty-Three: Into the Wild, pt. 2
Phase Forty-Four: Setting the Trap, pt. 1
Phase Forty-Four: Setting the Trap, pt. 2
Phase Forty-Five: Luring the Bait, pt. 1
Phase Forty-Five: Luring the Bait, pt. 2
Phase Forty-Six: Animal Magnetism, pt. 1
Phase Forty-Six: Animal Magnetism, pt. 2
Phase Forty-Seven: She's Coming to Get You, Sophie...
Phase Forty-Eight: The Final Showdown
Phase Forty-Nine: Láng, pt. 1
Phase Forty-Nine: Láng, pt, 2
Phase Forty-Nine: Láng, pt, 3
Fiftieth Phase: The End, pt. 1
Fiftieth Phase: The End, pt. 2
Epilogue Phase: We're Golden, pt 1.
Epilogue Phase: We're Golden, pt. 2
Author's Note

Phase Seventeen: Within Earshot

30.4K 405 47
By bellenuit

Julian looked at George's visitor through slits of eyes.  He didn't care a bit for the man who sat across from Georgia, staring at him with bright happy eyes and pearly white teeth.  Who the hell was he?  What the hell was he doing here with Georgia, looking so damn good like he just stepped off the runways of Paris and Milan?

And more importantly, why was Georgia enjoying his presence in the first place?

If he weren't so infuriated, he would happily melted at the sight of those beautiful, golden eyes of hers. With the sunlight from her window streaming in, they looked even more vibrant, warming the soft smile on her face.  It he weren't so concerned for that loser sitting in the room, he'd have the fortitude to walk right up and finish the job he couldn't last night.

She might have sent him away, but he wouldn't hesitate to walk right up and kiss her deeply on the lips.

"Mr. Chang," she began quietly in her professional made that made him shiver, despite the anger.  "To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?"

Julian gave a cold glance to Georgia's visitor before speaking.  "I came here because I was hoping to see you."  He glanced over to her visitor again, who gave him a nod and a smile.  His face remained like stone.  "Alone."

"Alone, hmm?"  Georgia chuckled under her breath, exchanging amused glances at her visitor.  Julian gritted his teeth.  Stop looking at him like that!  "Well, as you can plainly see, I am already in the middle of a meeting.  And distinctly remember telling you that they was no further need for us to meet anymore."

"I know, but I was hoping you'd reconsider."  He took one step forward, and she responded by standing up tall.  She may have been slightly shorter than he was - five-foot-five by his estimation - but with that firm looking on her face, it felt like she stood even taller.  "I came to tell you how sorry I am about all this, Georgia..."

"George," she reminded flatly, eyes distant and vacant.  "I've told you time and time again to stop calling me that.  You are not allowed to call me by my full name - especially after the crap you pulled last night.  In fact, even if you didn't, I wouldn't allow it because I don't allow anyone to call me that."

"You allow me too!"  The man in the chair interjected with a smile.  "I call you that all the time, that and..."  One icy stare from George quieted him down.  "Sorry - not the right time." 

Julian couldn't help but smile at the egg on his rivals face.  That's right - keep making yourself look bad, you dumbass pretty boy. 

"As I was saying," Georgia continued, "I don't allow anyone to call me by the full name.  Not even the other librarians here call me that, so why should you?  It's not as though you spe- "  Her voice trailed.  No, it wasn't that it trailed.  She was trying to finish the sentence, but something seemed to be stopping her.  "Well, I mean is, it's not as though we have more than professional relationship.  So mind your tongue."

"So does that mean you share a special relationship with him?"  Julian asked, voice dripping with venom and he threw a heated glance over to the visitor, who continued to smile at him, relaxed and content.  "Who is this guy, anyway?"

"That's none of your business," she snapped back.  "And I don't think I like your tone.  You'd do well to drop the attitude now or else I'll get rid of it for you."

"Whoa, easy there, loba."  The visitor strode over to George's side, placing at hand on the small of her back.  Julian mentally seethed at the site of that asshole touching her so easily.  I should be the one touching her like that!  "No need to get yourself so worked up.  Besides, I don't mind introducing myself to him.  You know me, I like to get to know people."

"Now's not the time for that, Dominic," Georgia hissed under her breath.  "Besides, Mr. Chang was just leave."

"Please, Baby Girl, there is always time for pleasantries."  The male model extended his hand.  Julian couldn't be together to do more than just stare at it.  He's close to her AND he has pet names?  Well, that's just frakkin' wonderful! "Dominic Vega - at your service.  It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Mr. Chang."

"Julian," he managed to ease out, jerking his hand out for to offer a gruff handshake.  "Nice to meet you as well.  I assume you're a friend of - ahem - George's then."

"That's none of your business!" George pointed out hotly. 

"I guess you could say that."  The slyness of his tone only angered him more.  "Georgia and I have known each other for a very long time.  We can be quite the pair sometimes.  Isn't that right, dear?" 

"Huh?"  Dominic gave a nod to George, who stared at a moment before a bright smile spread across her face.  "Why, yes!  Yes, we are.  We're like - peas in a pod."

Dominic wrapped his arm around her waist, and Georgia snuggled up close to him in kind.  Julian felt like he'd been punched in the chest.  Please don't tell me that's her boyfriend?  But it can't be!  "I-I see.  You two are...pretty close then."

"Very, very close."  She looked up to Dominic, smiling a dreamy smile.  Every ounce of Julian ran completely hot as he watched her gaze into his beautiful blue eyes.  "Not that it's any of your concern, but Dominic is a very wonderful man to me.  There isn't any other man in the world I can think of could be as wonder to me as he is."

Julian stumbled backward, unable to withstand that final blow to his heart.  His mind raced without after thought, and what seemed so assured before was all too uncertain now.  Was this really happening?  Was he overanalyzing all the feelings for her that swirled furiously inside him?  She looked really happy standing beside Dominic - they looked so sweet together, his teeth rotted in response.  But what about last night at the cafe, when she held his hand and pressed her cheek into his palm?  Didn't that mean something to her? 

Maybe your beast is the one meant to comfort mine... The memory of her soft, sensual purr filled his head.  Maybe there is something to this after all...

There had to be more to this!  There had to be!  He refused to believe it otherwise.  The spark, the connection between them existed, and he knew she felt it too.  Even if he royally screwed up things yesterday at the cafe, even if she was in the arms of the good-looking Dominic, he couldn't reliquished the idea that he was to be with this beautiful Georgia, and that Georgia felt nothing for him.

Julian really wanted to go up there, ripping Georgia way from his hold, and spirit her away to a private place where he'd do all he could to convince her of his worthiness...

...and then some.

"Now, if there's nothing else, then we are done here, Mr. Chang," Georgia suggested coolly as she strode over to him.  She stopped just before him, staring hard into his eyes.  "As I said last night, there is no further need for my services.  If you have any other requests, I'm sure any of my co-workers would be happy to help you."

Julian nodded reluctantly.  "I guess I should leave then.  After all - "  He gave Dominic one last stare of contempt  " - I'm sure you want to get back to your alone time."

"Kind of like the time you had last night after I left?" she challenged.  "Yeah...it's a real pain in the ass finding out that you're really just a third-wheel, isn't it?"

The two stared down at each other, quietly challenging each other for dominance.  Georgia didn't seem the least bit fazed by his anger, or the rage that blazed in his eyes.  She didn't seem to care a bit for the love that swirled behind the anger, the want and the need for her, his beautiful subject librarian, to be his arms and only his arms.  Julian, on the other hand, was greatly distressed by the anger in her eyes.  He could see that he'd genuinely hurt her, even though that was never his intention.  His insides twisted, remembering how she'd opened up herself to him and how angry she was at seeing Sophie's arms around him.

Julian absolutely hated her being so friendly with that male model of a friend, but at the same time, he knew he deserved this, after letting Sophie control the situation at the cafe.  He didn't do enough to defend her from Sophie, and he sure as hell didn't do enough to clear up the misunderstanding.  Now he was suffering the consequences of his actions...

The pang that radiated in the center of his chest brought him to life again.  He could see it - clearly, fully behind the softened yet still intense golden eyes.  The swirling puddles unaffected by hurt or pride, the truth she thought he would never see. 

But he saw it and he thanked his lucky stars that he could see it.

Georgia, for all her anger, still had a soft spot for him.  She had every right to be mad, but at the same time, the connection they shared must still be alive within her, even though she fought to hide it.

"Thanks again for all your help, George," he spoke finally, nodding.  "Until we meet again."

Julian strode out of the room without another word, a mischievous grin spreading across his face.  This wasn't over - not by a long shot.  It was still on.  He wouldn't stop trying.  Even if she sent him away, he would never stop trying to make her his.

It was all a matter of finding the right moment to convince her.  She couldn't possible stay mad at him forever - and he was a very patient man.

------

The moment Julian left the room, George instantly regretted her actions.

Oh sure, she was all for giving him a taste of his own medicine when he strode on in here with his chest puffed out at the sight of Dominic sitting in her office, looking very much like a wolf prepared to defend his territory.  After all, she felt the same way when that Sophie-brat came out of nowhere, putting her hands all over him like she marked him already.

Don't even THINK about growling, mutt, George warned before her wolf could do anything.

Now he had a change to feel how she felt - to experience the humiliation she experienced.  Dominic, bless his heart, could since her desire to teach him a lesson, striding on over and wrapping his arm around her as though they were a real couple.  She felt nothing special when he did it - after all, he did it a lot when they were together, and it was usual to comfort her or just to show her that he was there for her.  Even if Dominic weren't gay, she could never think of him as anything more than a friend, a big brother who just happened to be infinitely awesome.

But Julian didn't know that, obviously.  All she had to do was see the steam rising from his skin to know how much it burned him to see her in the arms of another man.

The cad had it coming!  If he could dish it out, he could take it, and he took it in spades today.

Yet as they stared each other down, it was the sight of those beautiful, open eyes that abated her anger.  The hurt that saw behind the anger didn't help to sustain her rage, either.  Even though a werewolf could never truly feel the emotions of their mate until they were fully marked, she somehow could feel the pain he felt over offending her. 

He was sorry.  No, that was tame - he was really sorry about hurting her.  There was no denying it.  There wasn't a hint of arrogance about him.

So much for feeling spiteful and gleefully triumphant.

"Whoa, that was pretty intense, loba."  George turned to see Dominic staring at her, a bemused expression on her face.  "I was on the edge of my seat.  I didn't know if you were going to start swinging to tear each other other's clothes off.  Either way, that man is definitely your mate!"

"You're not helping, Dominic," she said, rolling her eyes.  "Besides, I don't need to feel worse than I already do right now."

"Aww, are you regretting what we just did to him?  I admit, I was kind of hesitant to get involved like that, but I couldn't resist.  I'm all for the mate bond, but sometimes, people need a taste of their own medicine, if you know what I mean."

"Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, Dom."  George sighed heavily, plopping.  "So tell me why I feel like an evil bitch, even though we both agree that he deserved it."

"Because, my dear loba, he may be a cad, but he's still your mate."  Dominic playfully ruffled her hair.  "He may do things to piss you off, he may make you want to shift into wolf form and chase him around a dark forest, but at the end of the day, you're still connected to that man no matter what.  Love transcends hatred and annoyance you know."

George snickered.  "That's profound.  Where'd you get it from - a greeting card?"

"Nope - a soap opera, now that I think about it.  But I could see why you'd think that way.  In any case, if you really feel bad about it, you could always got up to him an apologize, wiping the slate clean - "

"Why don't I have you finish asking the question you came to ask me before I throw you out for even suggesting that." 

Dominic was not at all upset by her clipped tone.  "Come on, darlin', you know you want to make-up with him.  After all, making up in the best part - "

"Ask me."  And then, with a snark, "Now."

"Okay, okay, down girl, down.  I get it.  Besides, I am well aware of your ability to kick my ass, and you are well aware of just how delicate I am."  Never a dull moment with Dominic - not at all.  "Anyway, long story short, we've been asked to perform at a milonga that Javier is hosting, which is at ."

"Javier?  As in the Tango Apasionado Dance Studio Javier?" 

"That's the one.  Apparently, one of his couples he was to have perform dropped out, so he's come to us in desperation.  We'd be performing before the actual milonga starts, around eight in the evening."

"Yeah, but we haven't dance like that in over a year.  How the hell are we supposed to come with a routine in - " She quickly glanced at her watch.  " - just over thirty hours from now?"

"George we dance all the time, and I know you've kept your dance shoes in your closet.  Also, Javier has agreed to help us out a wee bit if we agree to do it.  He's got the outfits covered and everything.  We just need to help him out." 

"I see."  Despite all the assurances, she wasn't completely convinced.  "As tempting as it sounds, I don't think I can go through with it."

"What? Why not, loba?" Seriously, you don't remember why?  "You love the Argentine Tango.  I may have dragged to you the classes kicking and screaming, but in the end, you completely fell for it.  We were his best students, especially you.  You had more passion for the dance than anyone else.  I thought for sure you'd just at the chance."

She hesitated before speaking.  "Don't get me wrong - I love the tango, and I really miss the studio, but..."

"But...?"

"But..."  She fought the urge to whimper, while her wolf did it quite liberally.  Me no want to go!  Me scared!  Don't want to see her.  "Don't you remember why we stopped going there in the first place?"

Dominic might have tried his best to remain relaxed, but she caught the uneasiness creasing his face.  "Oh - that."

"Yeah, that.  Or rather her."  She might have been firmly in her human form, but that didn't stop George from having the urge to roll into her back, lifting up her hands and legs into the air.  "I'm sorry, Dominic, but I don't fancy entering the territory of a crazy old wolf lady who lifted up her leg and marked it right in front of me."

"You just HAD to remind me of that, didn't you?" he complained, looking as though he would throw up.

George couldn't blame him at all.

------

"Well, don't you look studious, reading all those journal articles!"  Julian winced at the sound of Sophie's sickly-sweet voice.  He looked just from an article to see her standing over him, cheesy so much, he thought she'd snap her jaw.  "You're going to kill that final paper, I just know you will.  And then we'll have to celebrate!"

"Eh, why don't we just see how well I do first," he said, shakily.  Maybe if I go back to reading my article, she'll go away.  "I haven't even started on my paper yet."

"Doesn't matter if you start it now or the day before it's due - you'll do well, I know you will."  He listened as she slipped into the chair in front him, clearly not getting the hint.  I need to put my foot down with her - but I don't want her to kill me, either.  "In any case, I'm really looking forward to dancing with you tomorrow night.  I hear the Argentine Tango is a very...passionate dance between two people."

"It can be," he said, disinterested.  Personally, he didn't want to go, but he was roped into last night at the care.  Since he had to promise to take her, he knew there was no other choice but to fulfill the promise - or else. "You're in a closed embrace for much of the dance, pressed up against your partner's body.  Needless to say, it can get pretty intimate as time goes on."

"Ooh, I'm shivering just thinking about it."  Julian continued to keep his eye on the journal article.  "Am I going to need bring icecubes or cooling packs because I imagine dancing so close to you will be very, very hot."

I don't think so.  "Ah, that won't be necessary.  And anyway, you've never danced the tango before - you'll probably need time to get the basic 8-count steps first."

"Yeah, but you know how to dance it, don't you?"  He bit back a growl as Sophie took the article from his hands, a impish grin on her face.  Her eyes, while not nearly as intense as they were as they were last night, still seemed animalistic, like she wanted to pounce on him and eat him all up.  I wouldn't put it past her.  "I distinctly remember you telling me that you are quite the lover of tango."

"Ah, I wouldn't go that far."  It was true, though.  He really loved the Argentine Tango.  He was first exposed to it in his first-year of university through club sign-up.  Liam, at the time his dormitory roommate, dared him to do, enticing him with the prospect of meeting beautiful women.  He was partly right - there were beautiful women there, all attached to men who may not have been so beautiful.  But he enjoyed the dance all the same.  He wasn't able to practice as much because of his heavy school load, but he did drop in for a class and milonga or two every now and again.  "I just think it's a nice way to pass the time."

"And I can't wait until I pass the time with you tomorrow," she purred, reaching out to let her fingertips draw circles on the back of his hand.  His entire body went ice cold, as though he were being touched by a spirit or a vile creature.  He didn't like the feeling of her touching him at all.  It was nothing like Georgia's touch, the touch that made him feel so warm.  "I'm going dress shopping later to find the perfect dress and everything.  Hopefully something red and fiery.  I'm totally going to blow you away tomorrow night."

"I, uh, I'm sure you will."  He offered her a nervous smile.  "I-It'll be fun."

"Most definitely."  She leaned over, her eyes wild, animalistic.  Julian had inkling of what gazelle felt like before being devoured by a cheetah.  "Don't get me wrong - you are doing this because you have so much to make up to me.  But I'm definitely going to make it worth your while.  The tango won't be the only thing that will be muy caliente tomorrow night!"

Julian hid his displeasure - he was afraid of that.

------

Up until a year ago, Dominic and George would spend their Friday nights there, playing the game of seduction, dancing the dance of the Tango.  Their dance instructor, Javier Mora, was a nice older gentlemen from Argentina who loved the dance just as much as he loved charming the pants off his female students every change he got.  He was particular fond of Dominic and George, as they took to dance very easily.  George didn't particularly like spending time with humans for very long due to her heightened sense, but Javier was an exception to the rule.  Between is heavy Spanish accent, his charming nature, and his oddly intoxicating scent (a odd combination of cedar, cigarettes, and cologne), she very much liked Javier and his wife and dance partner, Florencia. 

That's probably what made it easy for her to take to the Tango as well as she did.

There was even another wolf in the class - a male wolf, even.  She really didn't like male wolves.  Here in the city, they seemed to prefer the humping rather than the mating, especially the concept of mating for like.  But Alex turned out to be her kind of wolf - quirky with a wicked sense of humor and a classic sense of style.  With Dominic at her side to assure, it was quite easy to befriend.  The fact that he was very much devoted to his human mate, his wife Marina, made it even easier.  The love he had for his wife reminded her very much of the love her parents had for each other.  He very much loved that woman, and it showed whenever they danced together.  While everyone else in the class said other, George always considered Alex and Marine the better couple in class, as they passion they carried in their dancing mirrored the passion they had for each other outside of the ballroom.

For two years, George happily danced the tango, and it was the only time in her life where she could honestly say that she'd let go of her inhibitions and just had fun.  Between Dominic, Javier, Alex, and Marina, she always had the best time and hated it when class was over.  For one night of the week, she could forget her heightened senses and her awkward nature and just enjoy life.

That is...until that elderly battle axe ruined everything.

Her name was Etta McDonald - a fifty-something homemaker who looked like she got into a lot of fights back in her younger days.  She was also an elder werewolf who carried an aura about her reminiscent of an Alpha though she'd lived in the city for many, many years.  Her eyes were an unashamed shade of gold.  They were very wolf-like, and she had no problem with that.  It added to her imposing presence. 

The minute she and her weakling of a human mate that made Walter Mitty look like James Bond stepped into the studio, they knew she would be trouble.  And while it's an unspoken-but-well-followed rule among city wolves to respect and submit to an older wolf, especially elder wolves, Etta made it extremely difficult to respect her.

Rude, loud-mouthed, disrespectful to the instructor and the other students - the list of grievances went on and on.

Etta really disliked George, Dominic, and Alex.  She wasted no time in using her elder influence against them.  While there was no way in hell she could lie on her back and get away with it, she did show her submission in other ways - looking down on the ground, cowering in her presence, whimpering in fear, and if Etta was particularly dominating that night, exposing her throat.  Dominic and Alex didn't fare any better.  Alex did his best to protect his wife from Etta's presence, but even the task of protecting his mate could stop Alex from being submissive to Etta.

Finally, one night, it all came to head one night after class.  Etta left her husband cowering a corner while she strode over to George, Dominic, and Alex, clearly wearing her Alpha aura.  The three of them cowered in response, unable to look her in the eye.

"You three, outside of the studio, now!" she snarled through her teeth.  "It's time we settle this once and for all."

They all nodded quietly, not daring to speak back to her.  Exchanging glances, they followed behind her quietly.

"What's going on?" The three of them all caught Marina rushing toward them, visibly upset.  "Baby, what's happen?  Why does she want you to go outside?"

"It's all right, love, don't worry," he assured her quietly.  "Just stay here, okay? 

"No, I want to come with you!" she demanded, her green eyes filled with both fear and anger.  "I'm so sick of her treating you like crap!  And you just take it."

"You know I don't have much choice in the matter," Alex relented sadly.  "It's the rule, and I'll just deal with you.  But you should definitely stay here, where it's safe.  I'll be back soon, I promise."

"No, I won't let you go alone!  It's high time someone told her where she can stuff her bad attitude, and tonight, it's going to be -"

"Marina."  The way he said it carried authority and weight, and his normally mundane brown eyes flashed amber.  It was enough to quiet Marina, ridding her of her anger.  That was the power a wolf carried over their human mate.  The stronger the wolf, the strong the aura, which meant a stronger influence.  Alex was a very strong wolf, so his influence over Marina was instant.  While the power was great, it was mainly used to protect the mate from danger.  "Please, just stay here, all right?  I promise you, I will be back soon."

His wife nodded and walked away without another word.  Exchanging glances once more, the three of them walked out of the studio in scared silence.  Etta waited for them beside the alleyway, gold eyes blazing anger.

"I've had just about enough of seeing you here every Friday," she growled, hands on his hips.  All three looked down, unable to speak back to her or look her in the eye. "You pups think your so special here, twirling around in your dancing shoes, thinking you're so perfect.  But you're shit, the litter of you - complete and utter shit.  I'm sick of looking at you and smelling you and watching you dance like you don't have any sense. "

"We are sorry," Alex murmured quietly, eyes firmly on the ground.  "We mean you no harm.  We're just hear for the dance, that's all.  We're only here to dance with Mr. Mora"

"And that's the problem.  Mr. Mora may have no problem with you here, but he's just a dumb human.  And the three of you apparently are even dumber pups.  You're all so disrespectful - don't you know that this is MY turf?"

"Excuse me?"  Etta's arrogance didn't sit well at all with George's wolf. Still, she wouldn't look at her directly. "No disrespect, Mrs. McDonald, but the three of us were students of Mr. Mora before you and your husband decided to grace us with your presence - "

"Shut your mouth, you insolent beast!" she roared angrily.  "I don't give a fuck if you were here ten years before I showed up.  This is my fucking territory now, and tonight, I'm claiming it once and for all.  Let this be your warning - your final warning.  If I ever catch you pups near this studio again, I won't hesitate to rip you apart!"

Now, George and her wolf were very insulted.  Just who the hell did Etta think she was, ordering them around like that.  Yes, elder wolves were to be respected, but that didn't give any one of the them to right to be an absolute bitch about it.

"With all due respect, Etta, I don't think you have the right to demand that any of us stay away from the studio,"  George began quietly.  "This is the city, not a rural area.  Everyone, both wolf and human are free to frequent here."

"Hell no, and that's why I'm claiming this spot right now.  Human can do whatever they want, but wolves mark their territory no matter what.  You should be thankful that I'm warning you first, because I could just as easily tear you apart if I wanted."  The three of them couldn't help but snicker at her outrageous claim.  "What the hell is so funny?"

"That's quite a claim you've made there," Dominic piped in.  "You think you can take on three young wolves?  Isn't that why the elder rules exist - to protect an old lady like you that very idea?  Because it would end badly otherwise."

"Oh you think so?"  she laughed heartily.  "These bones are old, but my wolf is still hungry.  You wouldn't know what was coming.  In fact, I'd be more than happy to demonstrate with that pretty little wife in there..."

The growl ripped from Alex's throat, visibly shaking Etta.  His amber eyes were fierce in all their glory and his eyes were squarely on the elder wolf.  His lips were curled in an enraged snarl, his sharp canines sparkling in the moonlight.  Darkness covered his features, and George feared that the change would take him if this continued. 

"Alex," Dominic warned.  "Calm down.  Don't do anything stupid."

"I think you need to leave my mate out of this, old lady."  His voice was gruff, low, and fierce, as though his wolf were speaking and not Alex himself.  "Or else I'll be more than happy to conveniently forget about the rules protecting you."

Alex's eyes reverted to back to their natural brown, but he still retained his dominant stance, ready to protect his wife from Etta if he needed to.  Dominic focused on keeping Alex calm while George finally gathered the courage to look directly at Etta, fighting off her dominant aura.  The wolf inside her began to growl, unable to stand for being disrespected any longer.  If Etta continued on, she'd have a fight on her hands, and George knew without a doubt that she'd be able best her after all was said and done.

"I think you should take your 'claim' and shove it, you old bag," George hissed.  "You probably got away with that mess in the bush, but you won't get away with it here.  So why don't you just tolerate our presence juas as we tolerate yours.  If we manage, than so can you. Or else..."

"Or else what?" she spat.

"Or else we'll all conveniently forget about the elder rule."  Now, the edge of her wolf was within her voice.  "And you really don't want that to happen."

Etta growled, clearly unhappy with how the spell of dominance had been broken.  She stared at all three of them, and George figure that she even knew that a fight for her would end badly.  A wolf like Etta hated the idea of being dominated, especially by younger wolves - she'd sooner poison herself. 

George was usually a stickler for respecting her elders, but this was one case where she was all to ready to wipe that smirk off that battle axe's face.

"Well, you leave me no choice then."  Etta stumbled back into the wall of the alley nearby, her eyes still firmly on the three.  "If you aren't going to leave of your own accord, I'm just going to have to mark this place as mine."

"Are you out of your mind?" George asked through gritted teeth.  "Shifting in a public place is strickly forbidden!  You can't do that!"

A wicked smile spread across Etta's face.  "Who said any damn thing about shifting?"

The three young wolves watched in disbelief as Etta lifted up her dress with one hand, squating to the ground.  Her eyes were firmly on the three as a stream of urine splashed across the wall of the dance studio and onto the ground, her distinct scent racing through every crack and crevice of the well, marrying with brick and cement.

"OOOH!!"  The three young pups cried out in absolute horror, amber and golden eyes vivid with wild fear and pure submission.

"That's right - this place is now mine!"  She stood up from ground, eyes intense with triumph.  "Now, run!  Run away, you inferior pups!  Get the fuck out of my sight!"

The three couldn't run away fast enough, whimpering and yipping along the way.

"Wait a minute!"  Dominic asked breathless.  "Alex, what about your wife?"

"She can drive home!"  he answered back in a huff.  "I am NOT going back there!"

They couldn't say they blamed him one bit.

------

George couldn't help but whimper as the memory of the marking of Tango Apasionado replayed over and over in her mind.  She did not fancy the idea of entering the marked territory of a badass wolf, even if it was technically a public place.  Even at the prospect of being taken out by three wolves, Etta McDonald didn't back down.  Even if Alex was a strong wolf in his own right, even if she herself came from a strong bloodline, there was no way in hell she could ever face Etta again - the submission would be overpowering.

"I don't want to do it!" George whimpered.  "I got the message a year ago - I am not to go near that place again.  I don't fancy a beatdown."

"I promise you, there won't be a beatdown.  In fact, I can assure you that you have nothing to worry about."

"And how the hell can you do that?"

"Because it seems that our dear Etta is no more." 

George's eyes lit up.  "No more.  As in she's dead?"

"In a box and six feet under."  Dominic's eyes twinkled at the prospect.  "It seems that our dear of Battle Axe met her untimely fate at the hands of a Dodge Ram.  Apparently, the truck got the brunt of the damage, though.  The driver had to go and buy another car because she crushed it on impact.  In fact, she cursed the driver out before she died.  Really, though, that man is lucky to be alive."

She was silent for a moment, allowing the image to sink into her head.  The silence remained for a few more moments before she threw head back, laughing out loud.

"That's the most amazing thing I've ever heard!" she managed through the laughter.  "She crushed a car before she died?  Yeah, that definitely sounds like a proper death for Etta."

"I know, right?  That's exactly what I thought when Javier told me.  So, it's okay.  Sure, we'll need to stay up late remembering our routine and all, but it'll be like old times!  Even Alex is going to perform there with his wife."

"Aww, really?  That's wonderful.  I wouldn't mind seeing them again.  I hope they've been well."

"Of course they've been well - they're mates!  Anyway, I'm sure they'll be happy to see you, too.  We can all pair off again and show everybody up.  You and Marina can do you girly tango and of course Alex and I will set the ballroom on fire with our Mens Tango.  All you have to do is say 'yes'."  Dominic threw her a wink.  "You will say 'yes', won't you?"

George sighed, her defeat on the horizon.  "Do I have a choice in the matter?"

Dominic shook his head.  "Nope.  Not a one."

With a nod, George rose from her hair, grabbing her purse and keys.  "Well, then the sooner we get out of here, the sooner we can start practicing for tomorrow, right?"

"Now, that's what I'm taking about!"  Dominic clasped his hands together, triumphant.  "Wait - don't you still have to work?"

"Pssh - with all the sick days I have?  My co-workers will live.  Besides, who the hell is silly enough to refuse these gold eyes?"

"Well, there was one person, but she's dead now."

"Yup."  George smiled gleefully.  "Ding dong, that bitch is dead!"

------

"So, I'll call you later on tonight, okay?" Sophie chirped as they headed to the front door.  "I don't know how long it's going to take me to shop because I really want to find the best dress ever, but I promise I won't call you too later."

"It's okay, Sophie.  Take all the time you need."  Julian really meant every word of that.  In fact, if was so worked up about the milonga tomorrow that she forgot the call, he'd be perfectly okay with that.  "I know how excited you are about this."

"Aren't you excited, Julian?  I mean, after all, this is your dance.  And I'm sure you're going to want to teach me all your best moves, right?"

"I guess so.  Never really thought about it actually."  He was pretty sure that dancing with the beginner Sophie would awkward at best and a horrible disaster at worst.  Oh sure, he could have found a more experience follower to dance with, but he was pretty sure that Sophie would never allow for that.  "I'm it'll be all right."

"I wholeheartedly agree."  She stood before him, reaching out for his hand once more.  This time, he tried to jerk it out of her grasp, but she had a very tight grip.  "I know you're doing this to make up for the outing we missed, but I'm really happy that I get to do something like this with you."

"Uh, yeah."  Sophie looked at him, deep admiration in her eyes.  It made him feel very uncomfortable.  "I'm happy...that you're happy, Sophie."

"Oh, Julian!"  His body seized when she wrapped up in a tight hug.  "You're so good to me, sweetheart.  And I am so lucky to have you in my life."

"Uh...you're welcome?"  He winced as she hugged him even tighter.  "You - you're a great friend..."

Julian eyes locked on them from across the room, laughing as they made their way to the door.  She was playfully patting his arm, while he seemed to be telling her a joke or something else amusing.  He'd never seen her so happy - usually when they met she was either flustered or upset.  He'd only seen a few glimpses of her happy face, while that model there had probably seen it all the time.  Even as his blood boiled once more in envy, he found himself vowing to the one to make her smile and laugh like that from now on and for always.

His body crackled once again when their eyes met from across the room, and his entire body was filled with longing.  She gazed at him with soft, gentle eyes, and then hard, stony ones.  He looked down at Sophie, who was complete enraptured within the embrace.  George sniffed the air, unhappy with what she saw.

"Julian?  What are you looking at?"  Sophie looked up at Julian before gazing over to Dominic and Georgia as they headed for the door.  "Hey, isn't that the girl you were at the cafe with last night?"

"Uh, yeah, I think so."  He seized the opportunity to escape from her embrace. 

"Wow, is that her boyfriend?"  The word boyfriend made his skin crawl.  "Damn, he's a real fox.  I'd have never expected a hottie like that to end up with someone like her."

"What's that supposed to mean?"  Her words rubbed him the wrong away.

"Well, I mean look at her.  She's a little nerdy, she's got that curly mop of mess on her head, and she obviously doesn't keep up with the trends."  Julian really didn't like her tone.  How dare she talk about Georgia that way?  "He must be with her out of charity because I can't imagine anyone wanting to date her willingly."

Shows how much you know, he thought in disgust.  "Not everyone is as clear-cut as you are, Sophie."

"Sure they are, but they won't ever admit it freely."  She shrugged, unapologetic.  "Besides, not everyone can be as beautiful and as stylish as I am.  I bet she's got quite the GPA, but she's definitely not beautiful..."

"Everyone is beautiful in their own way, Sophie."  The force of his voice caught him by surprise.  "And while you may think that she isn't, she is - in her own way, she is very beautiful.  You may not see it, but that doesn't mean no one else can."

Sophie stared at him wide-eyed, taken aback by his words.  "Damn, Julian, calm down.  There's no need for you to get upset.  After all, she's just some girl who helped you with your paper.  What's a few barbs between friends?"

Julian signed, exhausted.  Sophie really could be impossible sometimes - absolutely dense.  He couldn't bring himself to tell her this, but he didn't want to deal with it any more.  "I'm sorry, I'm just a little tired, that's all.  I've got to get home.  I need to start working on my paper before the dance tomorrow.  I'll see you later, okay?"

"Yes, you will.  And I will call you, I promise."  The kiss she gave him on the cheek made his stomach turn.  "Au revoir, my dear!"

With a bounce in her step, she left the library, off to find the dress of her dreams. He just didn't understand that girl.  How could he have never realized how shallow she was?  He wanted to tell her where she could stuff her opinions, talking so badly about George like that.  She didn't even know her? What right did she have to do that?

George... He watched as Dominic and George exited the library, both animated in their spirited conversation.  He realized he didn't know that much about her either - only five days worth of knowledge gained from a few encounters.  But he knew enough to know that Sophie was completely wrong in her assessment, and no one would ever change is mind.

Now, if he could only change hers...

------

George and Dominic exited the library, exchanging glances.  Despite her earlier anger, she couldn't help but smile as the words played over and over in her head.

"Did you hear that, loba?"  Dominic asked cheerfully.  "You heard it, right?"

"Yeah."  Her heart wouldn't stop fluttering.  "I heard it."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

310K 6.7K 30
Yes it is a dramione story, set up a few years after the war. When the annual Hogwarts alumni ball brings everyone together, the last thing anyone ex...
30.5K 345 9
About a girl and an alpha royal wolf that is huge and is her teacher and that is his mate
12.3M 8.4K 2
"And then he breaks. An outburst of broken sobs, as my mate let out the saddest cries I've ever heard. He shook and trembled, clinging onto me for d...
218K 4.7K 34
Sheltered shifter Celeste runs away after disappointing her parents with another failure to secure a worthy mate bond, but she accidentally stumbles...