Steel Roses

By RenaFreefall

#27 in Fantasy ~ When the chance to run arrives, Beldon doesn't think twice about escaping into the shad... More

100 Pitch~
Once Upon A Time
A Life for a Rose
The Castle of The Beast
The Rose Room
The Castle
Dining with The Beast
The Gardens of the Castle
A Friend
Stairways beyond Bookshelves
Beyond the Mirror
The Beast
Returned to The Castle
To Dine Again
Jasper
When Company Calls
Beauty
The Gallery
The Paintings
Promise One: Skating
Promise Two: Music
The Treasury
Silk and Spice
Melting Winter
Rosalia
By the North and Southern Wind
Promise Three: Fencing
The Unnatural Ones
The Artist
Story Books
Show Me Beauty
I'll Leave
Returning Winter
Home Again
His Tale To Tell
Something You Need To Know
The Fearless and Foolish
Return To The Castle
Fairray
Hunter of Tales
Death Over Love
The Death Of The Beast
~Epilogue~ An Uncollected Tale of Beauty and The Beast

Monsters in The Forest

6.8K 478 39
By RenaFreefall

The wind and snow were brutal, scraping against his skin, leaving it red and raw even when he bowed his head against his horse's neck. He didn't care though. All he cared about was getting home; he just had to get back to the village. He knew his family might not be at the cottage anymore, they could have already gone back to town, but he just needed to get back to the village. Once there, he knew he would have company to take him in for the night. The farmers he had worked for. Jean, or even Christian, they would give him a bed for the night; he just needed to get back to the village.

Even riding with his head bowed and his eyes nearly closed against the wind, he knew he was riding in the right direction, the same way he had known he was going the right way when he had come to the castle.

His horse seemed as desperate to get away as him, riding like a race horse, sweating even in the cold, his breath a fog before them.

There was no warning before the collision. A force like a run-away carriage crashed into them from the side, out of the darkness and sent them both flying, his horse was actually lifted from the ground and thrown into the air and when they came down again, they rolled, Beldon crushed under the horse for a moment before they fell to the side.

Scrambling, Beldon wrenched himself out from under the horse, almost sick from the shock. He rubbed at his eye, looking at his hand. There was a gash somewhere on his forehead, the blood pouring down over his left eye. He spun back towards his horse who let out a cry.

His eyes widened. One of the legs was damaged. He scrambled to his horse, feeling for the break and almost cried himself when he felt it. The back left shin was probably fractured.

No, NO! This wasn't supposed to happen. He couldn't go home like this!

He looked back into the darkness, the way he had come.

He wouldn't leave his horse. He would have to go back, he needed help. He knew he was closer to the castle then the village; he would have to go back. DAMN IT!

"I'm sorry," he whispered, pulling off his coat and throwing it over the horse, tucking it in tight, "I'm so sorry. I'll get help. I'll—"

A growl out of the darkness made him freeze. He was still for a moment, then slowly looked around. That was a point... what had made them fall in the first place?

He looked into the darkness and felt something he recognised.

Eyes on him.

A gaze unlike that which he felt within the castle. No, this was the feeling from when he had looked into the forest from the orchard – a look to be feared.

He saw the white eyes first. Glowing out of the darkness, and then the rest followed.

A huge monstrous wolf with golden fur prowled out of the shadows, as tall at him, glistening fangs bared and it had chains, like The Beast, from its ears to a collar around its neck.

Beldon stared. Monsters... there was nothing but monsters here.

He slowly rose to his feet, the dog growling. His horse had tilted its head right back to see what the danger was and lay there frozen and terrified.

Beldon took a step backwards, his eyes flicking from left to right. He needed to get this monster away from his horse. Slowly, his hand settled on his hip. He still had his fencing sword from the morning – not his ideal choice but it would do since it wasn't blunted.

Slowly drawing it, he adjusted his feet, ready to run, but too late.

The dog lunged at him, it's front paws slammed into his chest, knocking him backwards, falling over his horse, who whinnied in fright and pain, it's legs flailing, narrowly missing kicking Beldon's head but colliding with the dog, knocking it aside, stunning it enough for Beldon to roll onto his knees, grab his sword and lunge.

The strike was perfect; it went straight through the wolf's right eye, the green instantly plumping with red. There was a terrible stillness for a moment, then the wolf collapsed.

Beldon wrenched the sword free, shaking, backing away, the feeling of the sword making contact still vibrating through his arm. He had hunted before, this shouldn't have been strange, but it had always been with a bow and arrow, the sword was too close, too personal.

He spun to his horse, wrapping his arms around its neck.

"You need to get up!" he shouted, "please! Even a walk! I can't leave you with monsters like that! Stand up!" He moved around to the back and heaved, his muscles straining under the weight. "Please!"

His horse managed to roll onto its knees, clambering to its feet, its back leg dragging uselessly, unsteadying it. Beldon struggled under the weight, then looked over his shoulder and whirled around.

There was another dog. No there were two! Two huge black wolves with furious golden eyes.

God, he was going to die.

His horse shoved him aside, startling him, making him look back before his horse shoved him away with its nose, pushing him onwards.

"What are you—" he started before slamming to the floor as one of the wolves launched at him. It soared over head and Beldon scrambled to his feet. He didn't think twice, he ran, racing away through the trees.

Looking back at the sound of his horse, he saw he was still standing... and the dogs were following him. They weren't interested in his horse; their attention was completely on him.

He spun forwards again; his eyes wide, the freezing air making tears stream from them, his breath flaring out around him.

His foot skidded. He looked down, trying to gain his balance and saw that he was on the edge of a slope. He fell, the snow loosening under him. Releasing the sword, scared of falling on it, he tumbled down the hill, covering his head, the world blurring until he crashed into a stream, going straight through the ice.

Coughing, he dragged himself over to the shore, pulling himself out and looking up. One wolf was coming down the slope. He looked back to see the other dog appear on the opposite bank.

His sword lay several meters away and he scrambled for it, his limbs numb and stiff from the cold, his lungs aching with every breath. His hand closed around the handle at the same moment the wolf on his side of the stream slammed its paw down on the blade and it had more strength then him, even as he tried to pull it free.

He stared up at the dog as it leered down at him, looming above like a demon, and red, was it blood, dripped from it fangs into the snow.

Why? he thought, his hand tightening on the hilt of the sword. He just wanted to go home. So why did it turn out like this?

"Bel!!"

Beldon froze, then looked around as the wolves looked up.

It was The Beast.

He stood there on all fours, hackles raised; fangs bared, claws spread, his eyes almost glowing with fury.

Beldon didn't even think twice.

He scrambled to his feet.

The wolf, reacting to his movement, let out a howl and its claws struck out, right into Beldon's back.

He felt the claws shred through his clothes and flesh, but his muscles were so highly strung and his adrenaline pumping so fast, once he was moving he didn't stop.

He all but threw himself at The Beast, falling onto him; his hands grabbed the front of his shirt. One of The Beast's arms came up to meet him, wrapping around him, moving him so his body was between Beldon and the monsters and as soon as he saw the blood seeping from the wounds on Beldon's back, he let out a deafening roar.

Beldon cringed as The Beast moved him away, setting him aside so quickly and so gently Beldon barely even felt it and he spun around as The Beast launched himself at the first dog.

They collided like boulders, claws and fangs exploding in flashes of snarls and blood.

Beldon scrambled backwards as the second dog joined the chaos, his eyes wide, fear dampening the pain in his back as he watched in horror until both monsters collapsed in the snow. Alive or not, Beldon didn't know as his attention snapped to The Beast who slowly turned towards him, breathing hard.

Blood dripped from his mouth and claws and he slowly prowled forwards, his body shaking.

He reached for Beldon when he was upon him but stopped, staring at his blood soaked hands. He pulled back, shocked at the sight, and Beldon threw himself at The Beast, hugging him tightly.

"My horse! I need to find my horse!" he cried, pressing his face into The Beast's chest before the pain finally came to the fore, along with exhaustion and terror and he collapsed in a dead faint against The Beast.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

173K 7.7K 29
"He was a beast by all standards, a horrific sight to behold." The town of Vell knows fully well the monster that lurks within the halls of Rose...
207 28 14
Beauty and the Beast meets the Labyrinth in the story of a woman lost and a man who couldn't care less. I made a slight mistake. And by slight, I me...
360 69 15
Being different can be a curse but it can also be an unexpected advantage... A year into her apprenticeship, Lara died. When she's -mostly- brought b...
544K 32.6K 48
#26 in Fantasy ~ In six months, Cinderella will be free. At nineteen, she comes into her inheritance and will be rid of her wretched stepfamily...