𝐀𝐋𝐋 π“πŽπŽ 𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐋 ― n...

By -JASONSGRACE

it was rare, I was there, I remember it all too well. [ original character ] [ pre & post daughter of artemis... More

disclaimer
all too well
epigraph
i. THE LIGHTNING THIEF
↳ the son of poseidon
↳ kindness international
↳ mount olympus
ii. THE SEA OF MONSTERS
↳ the sirens
↳ polyphemus' cave
↳ the return of thalia
iii. THE TITAN'S CURSE
↳ artemis and apollo
↳ the son of hades
iv. THE BATTLE OF THE LABYRINTH
↳ geryon's ranch
↳ kelli the cheerleader
↳ the battle of the labyrinth
v. THE LAST OLYMPIAN
↳ the battle of manhattan
↳ goodbye to a hero
↳ after the war
vi. EXTRAS
↳ the demigod files: percy jackson and the sword of hades
↳ magnus chase and the ship of the dead
↳ the trials of apollo: the burning maze
author's note

↳ mount tamalpais

908 21 6
By -JASONSGRACE

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

ALL TOO WELL

THE TITAN'S CURSE
[ M O U N T   T A M A L P A I S ]

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

WITH SOME ASSISTANCE from Zoë, the group finally made it past the guard dragon. Natalia Flynn let out a breath of relief once they did. As they ran up up the mountain, she heard the Hesperides singing behind them. She almost wondered if she was running towards her death. No, Natalia thought to herself. I will not die. I have to save Annabeth and Artemis. They need me right now.

When they reached of the top of the mountain, Natalia saw ruins of black granite and marble, broken columns, and half-melted bronze statues. She stopped in her tracks and glanced around in awe.

"The ruins of Mount Othrys," Thalia whispered.

"Yes," Zoë agreed. "It was not here before. This is bad."

"What's Mount Othrys?" Percy asked, not knowing Greek Mythology as per usual.

"The mountain fortress of the Titans," Zoe answered. "In the first war, Olympus and Othrys were the two rival capitals of the world. Othrys was-" She suddenly winced and held her side in pain.

Natalia frowned. "Zoë, you're hurt."

"No! It is nothing. I was saying . . . in the first war, Othrys was blasted to pieces."

"But . . . how is it here?" Percy questioned.

Natalia bit her lip nervously as they picked their way through the ruins. "Well, it moves the same way Olympus does, and always exists on the edge of civilization. But having it on this mountain . . . well, it's not good, Percy."

"Why?"

"This is Atlas' mountain," Zoe replied. "Where he holds—" She froze, her voice suddenly ragged with despair. "Where he used to hold up the sky."

Something about her tone made Natalia worried. She tapped her silver bracelet and clenched her silver bow tightly for comfort. It somehow always managed to calm her down.

They finally reached the summit. Ahead of them, gray clouds swirled in a heavy vortex which made a funnel cloud. It almost touched the mountaintop, but instead it rested on the shoulders of a twelve-year-old auburn-haired girl in a tattered silvery dress: the Goddess Artemis, bound to the rock by her legs with Celestial Bronze chains.

"Mother!" Natalia exclaimed.

"My Lady!" Zoë began to rush forwards, but Artemis stopped her.

"Stop! It is a trap. You must leave now."

Artemis' voiced was strained and she was drenched in sweat. Natalia felt tears gather in her eyes just looking at her. She had never seen a Goddess in pain, and especially because it was her mother . . . Natalia couldn't bear to see it.

Zoë began to cry. She surged forwards and tugged at the chains despite Artemis' protests.

"Ah, how touching," a voice spoke from behind them.

They turned. The General, wearing a brown silk suit, was standing there. Luke and six Dracaenae, both bearing the golden sarcophagus of Kronos, stood by his side. Annabeth stood next to Luke with her hands cuffed behind her back and a gag in her mouth. Luke held the point of Backbiter to her throat.

Natalia almost sobbed at the sight of Annabeth. However, when they locked eyes, one message was clear: RUN.

"Luke," Thalia snarled angrily. "Let her go."

He smiled, though it was weak and pale. He looked worse than he had when they saw him three days ago in D.C. "That is the General's decision, Thalia. But it's good to see you again."

Thalia spat at him.

The General chuckled like this was joyful for him. "So much for old friends. And you, Zoë. It's been a long time. How is my little traitor? I will enjoy killing you."

"Do not respond," Artemis ordered to her lieutenant. "Do not challenge him."

"Wait a second," Percy interrupted. "You're Atlas?"

The General looked at him. "So, even the stupidest of heroes can finally figure something out. Yes, I am Atlas, the general of the Titans and terror of the Gods. Congratulations. I will kill you presently, as soon as I deal with this wretched girl."

Natalia's eyes narrowed and glowed silver, making the enemy army flinch momentarily. "You will not hurt Zoë. Not under my watch."

The General sneered at her. "You have no right to interfere, little hero. This is a family matter."

She frowned. "Uh, I'm sorry? A family matter?"

"Yes," Zoe said bleakly. "Atlas is my father."

Natalia blinked. She looked in between the two, noticing the resemblances. Both Atlas and Zoë had the same regal expression. Although it looked more evil on Atlas, they had the same cold proud look in their eyes when they got mad. However, Atlas had none of the good qualities Zoë adorned.

"Let Artemis go," Zoe demanded.

Atlas walked closer to the Goddess in chains. "Perhaps you'd like to take the sky for her, then? Be my guest."

Zoë opened her mouth to say something.

"No!" Artemis yelled. "Do not offer, Zoë! I forbid you."

Atlas smirked. He knelt down to Artemis' level and went to touch her face, but at the speed of a cheetah, Artemis bit at him and almost took off his fingers.

"Hoo-hoo," Atlas chuckled. "You see, daughter? Lady Artemis likes her new job. I think I will have all the Olympians take turns carrying my burden, once Lord Kronos rules again, and this is the center of our palace. It will teach those weaklings some humility."

Natalia looked back at Annabeth. She could tell the blonde was trying to tell her something with her wild eyes and nodding her head towards Luke. Natalia didn't understand, but she did notice that her blonde hair was streaked with gray.

"She held up the sky," Natalia muttered to herself. "Gods, how did she hold the weight? It should've killed her."

"I don't understand," Percy announced. "Why can't Artemis just let go of the sky?"

Atlas laughed. "How little you understand, young one. This is the point where the sky and the Earth first met, where Ouranos and Gaea first brought forth their mighty children, the Titans. The sky still yearns to embrace the Earth. Someone must hold it at bay, or else it would crush down upon this place, instantly flattening the mountain and everything within a hundred leagues. Once you have taken the burden, there is no escape." Atlas smiled, though Natalia saw no friendliness in it. "Unless someone else takes it from you."

He approached them, studying Natalia, Thalia, and Percy. Natalia slowly slid her bow off of her shoulder.

"So these are the best heroes of the age, eh? Not much of a challenge."

Natalia's silver eyes shone brighter than ever.

"Fight us," Percy challenged. "And let's see."

"Have the Gods taught you nothing? An immortal does not fight a mere mortal directly. It is beneath our dignity. I will have Luke crush you instead."

Natalia raised an eyebrow at him. "Backing down from a fight? Sounds a lot to me like you're a coward."

Atlas' eyes glowed with hatred. Natalia kept eye contact with her eyes still silver.

With much difficulty, he turned his attention to Thalia, making Natalia's eyes fade back to brown. "As for you, daughter of Zeus, it seems Luke was wrong about you."

"I wasn't wrong," Luke managed to say. He looked extremely weak and spoke every word as if he was being stabbed repeatedly. "Thalia, you still can joinus. Call the Ophiotaurus. It will come to you. Look!"

He waved his hand. A pond of water ringed in black marble appeared, big enough for the Ophiotaurus. Natalia looked worryingly over at Percy for a moment.

"Thalia, call the Ophiotaurus," Luke persisted. "And you will be more powerful than the Gods."

"Luke . . ." Her voice echoed so much heartbreak. "What happened to you?"

"Don't you remember all those times we talked? All those times we cursed the Gods? Our fathers have done nothing for us. They have no right to rule the world!"

Thalia shook her head rapidly. "Free Annabeth. Let her go."

"If you join me, it can be like old times. The three of us together. Fighting for a better world. Please, Thalia, if you don't agree . . ." Luke's voice faltered. "It's my last chance. He will use the other way if you don't agree. Please."

Natalia had no clue what that meant, but the fear in his voice was definitely real. She truly believed Luke was in danger. His life only depended on Thalia joining his cause. And for one horrible moment, Natalia was scared Thalia would believe it too.

"Do not, Thalia," Zoë warned. "We must fight them."

Luke waved his hand once more. A bronze brazier with fire glowing inside it, just like the one at Camp, appeared. A sacrificial flame.

"Thalia," Natalia said, her voice filled with as much force as she could muster. "Don't listen to him."

The golden sarcophagus holding Kronos began to glow. Images in the Mist appeared: marble walls rising, the ruins becoming whole, a both terrible and beautiful palace made of fear and shadow rising around them.

"We will raise Mount Othrys right here," Luke promised. But his voice was so strained that it wasn't his anymore. "Once more, it will be stronger and greater than Olympus. Look, Thalia. We are not weak."

Luke pointed towards the ocean. Natalia looked over and her heart sank to her stomach. From the beach where the Princess Andromeda was docked, Dracaenae, Lastrygonian Giants, Hellhounds, Harpies, Half-Bloods, and so many more monsters marched up the side of the mountain. It must have been the whole ship.

"This is only a taste of what is to come," Luke continued. "Soon we will be ready to storm Camp Half-Blood. And after that, Olympus itself. All we need is your help."

Thalia hesitated for a moment. She stared at Luke with her eyes full of pain as if the only thing she wanted in the world was to believe what he was saying.

Finally, she leveled his spear. "You aren't Luke. I don't know you anymore."

"Yes, you do, Thalia," he pleaded. "Please. Don't make me . . . Don't make him destroy you."

They couldn't wait any longer. If that army reached the top of the mountain, they would be completely overwhelmed.

Natalia squared her shoulders. She met eyes with Annabeth, and the blonde nodded. Natalia looked over at Percy, Thalia, and Zoë, giving them a sudden flash of silver eyes.

She gritted her teeth. "Now!"

Together, they charged.

Thalia went straight to Luke. Aegis' power was so great the Draecanae dropped the golden sarcophagus and fled in a panic. However, despite how weak Luke looked, he was still quick with his sword. When Backbiter met Aegis, a ball of lightning erupted between them, frying the air with yellow tendrils of power.

Meanwhile, Percy and Natalia did probably the stupidest fucking thing ever: they began to attack the Titan Lord Atlas.

He laughed as they approached. His silk suit melted into full Greek battle armor while a huge javelin appeared in his hand. "Go on, then!"

"Percy! Natalia!" Zoë shouted. "Beware!"

Chiron's voice echoed in her head. Immortals are constrained by ancient rules. But a hero can go anywhere, challenge anyone, as long as they have the nerve. Natalia definitely had enough nerve.

Percy swung his sword, but Atlas knocked him to the side with the shaft of his javelin. He flew through the air and slammed into a black wall that definitely wasn't there before. It wasn't just only the Mist anymore. The palace was becoming real.

"Fool!" Atlas yelled gleefully, swatting aside one of Zoë's silver arrows. "Did you think, simply because you could challenge that petty war God, that you could stand up to me?"

Natalia remembered Ares' and Percy's beach fight. Percy went to dodge Atlas' javelin, but it caught him in the chest and sent him flying once more. He slammed onto the ground next to Artemis.

The daughter of Artemis pulled a Celestial Bronze arrow out of her quiver. When Atlas was distracted by his laughing, she let a couple fly. They imbedded themselves into Atlas' body where armor didn't cover, making him roar in pain. Golden ichor trickled down from the wounds. While he pulled them out, Natalia ran over to Percy and Artemis.

Atlas took his time coming towards them. Percy's sword was gone, and Natalia wouldn't be able to take Atlas by surprise too many times. Luke and Thalia were still fighting with lightning crackling around them. Annabeth was on the ground, trying to free her hands.

"Die, little heroes," Atlas said, raising his javelin to impale Percy and Natalia.

"No!" Zoë yelled, letting a volley of silver arrows fly into the armpit chink in Atlas' armor.

"ARGH!" He bellowed a war cry and turned to his daughter.

They couldn't fight Atlas, he would beat them every time. But there was someone else on this mountain who stood a chance against him. Natalia was reminded of a line in the Prophecy: The Titan's curse must two withstand. Natalia swallowed and tapped her bow, slipping her silver bracelet back on her wrist.

"The sky," Percy told Artemis. "Give it to us."

"No, Demigods," Artemis refused, her forehead beaded with metallic sweat. "You don't know what you're asking. It will crush you!"

"Annabeth took it!"

"She barely survived. She had the spirit of a true huntress. You will not last so long."

"Mother," Natalia interrupted, her eyes pleading. "We will last long if Percy and I both hold it. You've saved my life before. Please, let me save you this time."

Before Artemis could protest, Percy took out Riptide (which must have appeared back in his pocket) and cut through her chains. Both him and Natalia got on one knee and paused for a moment.

Natalia looked over at him, a determined look painted across her face. "Together, yeah?"

"Yeah," Percy breathed out.

Natalia held up her hands and braced herself for the weight. She touched the cold, heavy clouds, and her and Percy kneeled shoulder-to-shoulder. For a moment, Artemis bore the weight with them, and then she slipped out from underneath the burden, leaving Percy and Natalia to hold it by themselves.

It was the heaviest thing Natalia had ever felt. The weight of a thousand trucks was crushing her. She didn't know how anybody was able to hold it by themselves. It was horrible even with another person. She suddenly knew why Atlas didn't want the burden.

Black spots danced around her vision. She breathed deeply and tried to focus on holding it up. Percy suddenly began to sink lower to the ground, his side of the sky's weight about to crush him.

"Percy," Natalia struggled to say. She barely had the strength to open her mouth. "We have to fight back. H-Hey . . . think about Bianca. If she died for us to get here, the least we can do is honor her by holding up the sky."

That seemed to give him strength. He pushed the sky back upwards. Natalia tried to lift her head to see what was happening. She saw Atlas in his full armor, laughing insanely as he jabbed with his javelin. Artemis, a blur of silver, slashing wildly at the Titan with two wicked hunting knives as long as her arms. With unbelievable grace, she dodged and leaped away from Atlas' javelin. She seemed to change form as she fought, but it might've just been Natalia's feverish imagination.

Zoë kept firing arrows at the chinks in her father's armor. He roared in pain at each one, but they were as harmful as a bee sting to him. This only made him more mad as he kept fighting.

Thalia pressed Luke back with her shield. Even he was not immune to the power of Aegis, since he kept retreating, wincing, and growling in frustration.

"Yield!" Thalia yelled at him. "You never could beat me, Luke."

He bared his teeth like a dog. "Well see, my old friend."

Sweat poured Natalia's face. Her hands were slippery and her shoulders seemed to scream in agony. Everything inside her felt like they were being lit on fire.

Atlas advanced, pressing Artemis backwards. He slammed his javelin into the ground where the Goddess had been once before, making a fissure open in the rocks. He jumped over it and kept pursuing her.

Natalia knew what her mother was doing. She was leading him back towards her and Percy.

Get ready, daughter, Artemis spoke in her mind. Natalia could only hope she did the same thing with Percy, or else they would have a horrible misunderstanding.

"You fight well for a girl." Atlas laughed. "But you are no match for me."

He feinted with the tip of his javelin. Artemis dodged, but as soon as he did, he swept his javelin around and knocked Artemis off her legs. She fell, and Atlas raised his javelin for the kill.

"No!" Zoë screamed.

She leaped between Atlas and Artemis and shot an arrow right in the Titan's forehead. Atlas bellowed in rage, sweeping his daughter aside with the back of his hand. Zoë flew into the black rocks.

Natalia's eyes widened. She wanted to rush over to her aid, but unfortunately, she was a little stuck at the moment.

Atlas turned back towards Artemis. The Goddess looked wounded and didn't get up.

"The first blood in a new war," Atlas announced.

He stabbed downwards.

As fast as the speed of light, Artemis grabbed his javelin shaft, making it hit the Earth right next to her. She pulled backwards, using the javelin like a lever, sending the Titan Lord flying over to Natalia and Percy. They both loosened their grip on the sky and allowed themselves to be pushed out of the way. Natalia, with all the strength she had (which wasn't much), rolled away.

The weight of the sky dropped onto Atlas' back and almost smashed him flat until he managed to get his knees. He struggled to get out from under the crushing weight, but it was too late.

"Noooooo!" he bellowed, its hardness shaking the mountain. "Not again!"

Atlas was trapped under his old burden, as it should be.

Natalia tried to stand but she fell back downwards, dizzy from pain. She felt someone's arms fold around her gently. Natalia glanced up and saw the silvery eyes of her mother staring into her own. Artemis gave her a small smile. Natalia shivered from her aching muscles and allowed Artemis to cradle her head to her chest.

Thalia had backed Luke up to the edge of the cliff, yet they still continue to fight next to the golden sarcophagus. The daughter of Zeus' eyes shined with tears. Luke's chest had a bloody slash across it and his pale face glistened with sweat. He lunged at her but she slammed him with her shield. Luke's sword spun out of his hand and clattered to the rocks. Thalia raised her spear point to his throat.

For a long moment, silence rang through the air.

"Well?" Luke asked, fear laced into his tone.

Thalia trembled with anger.

Annabeth came scrambling from behind her, finally free from her handcuffs. Her face was bruised and had dirt streaked across it. "Don't kill him!"

"He's a traitor," Thalia argued. "A traitor!"

"Mother," Natalia groaned, looking back up at her. "Go . . . go to Zoë."

Artemis cupped her face in her hands. "Are you sure you will be all right?"

Natalia nodded. Artemis gave her a tight smile before letting go of her daughter, rushing off in the direction where Zoë had fallen.

"We'll bring Luke back," Annabeth pleaded. "To Olympus. He . . . he'll be useful."

"Is that what you want, Thalia?" Luke sneered. "To go back to Olympus in triumph? To please your dad?"

Thalia hesitated, which gave Luke an opportunity to try and grab for her spear.

"No!" Annabeth shouted in sheer desperation.

It was too late. Without thinking, Thalia kicked Luke away from her. He stumbled backwards, terror on his face, and fell off the side of the cliff.

"Luke!" Annabeth screamed.

Natalia pushed herself up and ran to the cliff's edge with Percy, Annabeth, and Thalia. Below them, the army from the Princess Andromeda was frozen in amazement. They were staring at Luke's broken body on the rocks. Despite how much Natalia didn't like him, she couldn't bear to see it, especially remembering her old feelings she had for him. She wanted to believe he was alive, but there was no way he survived that drop.

One of the Giants looked up at them. "Kill them!"

Thalia was frozen with grief. Tears streamed down her cheeks like miniature rivers. Percy had to pull her back as a volley of javelins sailed over their heads. They ran for the rocks, ignoring the curses and threats from Atlas as they passed.

"Artemis!" Percy yelled.

The Goddess looked up, her expression almost as grief stricken as Thalia's. Zoë laid in her arms. She was breathing and her eyes were open, but still . . . something was wrong.

"The wound is poisoned," Artemis voiced.

"Atlas poisoned her?" Percy asked.

"No. Not Atlas."

Artemis showed them the wound in Zoë's side from Ladon the dragon. She had hid the pain well and even charged into battle against her father with a cut that was taking her strength away. Natalia admired her bravery.

"The stars," Zoë murmured. "I cannot see them."

"Nectar and ambrosia," Percy urged. "Come on! We have to get her some."

None of them moved. Grief covered them like a blanket. The army of Kronos was still advancing, but they didn't do anything. Even Artemis didn't budge.

Suddenly, a strange buzzing noise was heard. Just as the army of monsters approached the top of the mountain, a Sopwith Camel swooped down out of the night sky.

"Get away from my daughter!" Dr. Chase called out.

His machine guns burst to life. They peppered the ground with bullet holes that sent the monsters scattering.

"Dad?" Annabeth yelled in disbelief.

"Run!" he cried back, his voice growing faint as his biplane swooped by.

Artemis was shocked out of her grief and stared at the plane with grudging approval. "A brave man. Come, we must get Zoë away from here."

She raised her hunting horn to her lips. Its clear sound echoed down the valleys of Marin. Zoë's eyes began to flutter shut.

"Hang in there!" Percy told her. "It'll be all right!"

The Sopwith Camel swooped down again. Some of the Giants threw javelins, but the machine guns blazed on. Somehow, Dr. Chase had fashioned Celestial Bronze into his bullets. The first row of Dracaenae wailed as the bullets blew them into sulfurous yellow powder.

"That's . . . my dad!" Annabeth exclaimed in amazement.

There was no time to admire his flying. The monsters were recovering from their surprise. Dr. Chase would become extremely overwhelmed.

Suddenly, the moonlight brightened. A silver chariot, the one Artemis used to pull the moon, appeared from the sky with beautiful deer drawing it. It landed next to them.

"Get in," Artemis ordered.

While Annabeth and Natalia helped Thalia on board, Percy helped Artemis with Zoë. They wrapped her in a blanket as Artemis tugged on the reigns, speeding the chariot away from the mountain and into the air.

"Like Santa Claus' sleigh," Percy murmured.

He reached over and took Natalia's hand, both of them still dazed from the pain. They were now closer than ever from what they just had experienced together.

Artemis looked over at him. "Indeed, young Half-Blood. And where do you think that legend came from?"

Dr. Chase turned his biplane and and followed them. It must have been a strange sight, a silver flying chariot pulled by deer escorted by a Sopwith Camel, but Natalia didn't really care at the moment.

They left behind the army of Kronos roaring in anger on Mount Tamalpais. However, the loudest of them all was Atlas, bellowing curses against the Gods as he struggled under the weight of the sky.

»»---------------------►

NATALIA GOT OVER her pain. She squeezed Percy's hand once more and finally let go, admiring the view around them as they flew in the sky. However, the worry flooded her heart again once they landed at Crissy Field after nightfall. She hopped out of her mother's silver chariot and stood on the grass.

As soon as Dr. Chase got out of his Sopwith Camel, Annabeth ran to him and gave him a huge hug. "Dad! You flew . . . you shot . . . oh my Gods! That was the most amazing thing I've ever seen!"

He blushed. "Well, not bad for a middle-aged mortal, I suppose."

"But the Celestial Bronze bullets! How did you get those?"

"Ah, well. You did leave quite a few Half-Blood weapons in your room in Virginia, the last time you . . . left."

Annabeth looked down at the ground, embarrassed. Dr. Chase, Natalia noticed, was extremely careful to not say ran away.

"I decided to try melting some down to make bullet casings," he explained. "Just a little experiment."

He had said that like it was no big deal, but there was a sort of gleam in his eye. Natalia suddenly understood why Athena, the Goddess of crafts and wisdom, had taken a liking to him. At heart, he was an excellent mad scientist.

"Dad . . ." Annabeth trailed off.

"Annabeth, Percy, Natalia," Thalia interrupted, her voice urgent.

Her and Artemis were kneeling at Zoë's side, trying to bind her wound. The three ran over to help, but there was nothing they could do. They had no ambrosia or nectar and mortal medicine wouldn't work. It was dark, but Natalia could see that Zoë didn't look so good. She was shivering. The faint glow of immortality around her was fading.

"Can't you heal her with magic?" Percy asked Artemis. "I mean . . . you're a Goddess."

She looked troubled. "Life is a fragile thing, Percy. If the Fates will the string to be cut, there is little I can do. But I can try."

Artemis reached out to rest her hand on Zoë's side. However, Zoë gripped her wrist, stopping her from doing so. She looked into the Goddess' eyes and a sort of understanding passed between them.

"Have I . . . served thee well?" Zoë whispered.

"With great honor," Artemis responded softly. "The finest of my attendants."

Zoë's face relaxed from the tight expression she always had. "Rest. At last."

"I can try to heal the poison, my brave one."

Natalia knew it wasn't just the poison that was killing her. Her father's blow was the final factor.

And one shall perish by a parent's hand.

Zoë had known that the Prophecy was about her. Despite it, she'd taken the quest. She chose to save Percy and Natalia. Atlas' fury had broken her inside.

She took Thalia's hand. "I am sorry we argued. We could have been sisters."

"It's my fault," Thalia responded, blinking back tears. "You were right about Luke, about heroes, men — everything."

"Perhaps not all men." Zoë smiled weakly at Percy. "Do you still have the sword, Percy?"

He brought out Riptide and put the pen in her hand.

She gripped it contentedly. "You spoke the truth, Percy Jackson. You are nothing like . . . like Hercules. I am honored that you carry this sword."

A shudder ran through her body.

"Zoë—" Percy began.

"Natalia," Zoë let out. She took her hand. "You are so brave, my sister. Remember me when you fight?"

She nodded, sniffling slightly. "You're so much braver then I am. But I will always remember you, Zoë."

"Stars," Zoë whispered. "I can see the stars again, my Lady."

A tear streamed down Artemis' cheek. "Yes, my brave one. They are beautiful tonight."

"Stars," Zoë repeated.

Her eyes fixed on the night sky, and Zoë Nightshade did not move again.

Natalia let out a sob into her hand. Her other one found Thalia's and they gripped onto each other like they were each other's lifelines.

Artemis cupped her hand above Zoë's mouth and muttered a few words in Ancient Greek. Zoë's mouth exhaled a silver wisp of smoke that caught in the Goddess' hand. Her body shimmered and disappeared. Artemis stood, said a blessing, and breathed the silver dust into the sky. It flew up, sparkling, and vanished.

Natalia stared up at the sky. The stars were brighter than ever. A new constellation had formed: the figure of a girl with a bow running across the sky.

"Let the world honor you, my Huntress," Artemis voiced. "Live forever in the stars."

Natalia didn't want to leave Artemis. The Goddess was so upset that she flickered with silver light. Natalia hoped she wouldn't appear in her fully divine form and disintegrate them.

"I must go to Olympus immediately," Artemis announced. "I will not be able to take you, but I will send help."

She set her hand on Annabeth's shoulder. "You are brave beyond measure, my girl. You will do what is right."

Artemis looked quizzically at Thalia. Thalia looked up reluctantly and held the Goddess' eyes. Artemis' gaze softened with sympathy. Then she turned to Percy.

"You did well," she said to him. "For a man."

Before Percy could protest, Artemis placed her hands on Natalia's shoulders. "You are so courageous, my dear daughter. Zoë was always right about you."

Natalia gave her a watery smile. "Thank you, mother."

Artemis squeezed her shoulders. She mounted her chariot, which began to glow. They all averted their eyes, and with a flash of silver, the Goddess was gone.

"Well," Dr. Chase sighed. "She was impressive; though I must say I still prefer Athena."

Annabeth turned towards her father. "Dad, I . . . I'm sorry that—"

"Shh." He hugged her tightly. "Do what you must, my dear. I know this isn't easy for you."

His voice was a tiny bit shaky, but he mustered up his bravery and gave Annabeth a smile.

The whoosh of large wings was heard. Natalia looked up to see four Pegasi descending through the fog: three white winged horses and one pure black one.

"Blackjack!" Percy called.

The horse must have responded. Natalia couldn't tell. She didn't speak horse.

"It was rough."

Another moment of silence.

"Nah. These are my friends. We need to get to Olympus pretty fast."

Dr. Chase was staring open-mouthed at the Pegasi. "Fascinating. Such maneuverability! How does the wingspan compensate for the weight of the horse's body, I wonder? Why, if the British had had these Pegasi in the cavalry charges on the Crimea, the charge of the light brigade—"

"Dad!" Annabeth interrupted.

Dr. Chase blinked and looked at his daughter with a smile. "I'm sorry, my dear, I know you must go."

They shared one last hug. As Annabeth turned to climb on Guido the Pegasus, he stopped her again.

"Annabeth. I know . . . I know San Francisco is a dangerous place for you. But please remember, you always have a home with us. We will keep you safe."

She didn't respond, but her eyes were red as she turned away from him. Dr. Chase looked like he wanted to say something else, but refrained from doing so. He raised his hand in a sad farewell and began to walk back towards his Sopwith Camel.

Annabeth mounted Guido, Thalia mounted Porkpie, and Percy mounted Blackjack. Natalia got on one she didn't recognize, but Percy informed her that his name was Treasure. The name was fitting since he had little golden specks across his feathers. Together, they soared over the bay towards the eastern hills. Before Natalia knew it, San Francisco was a glittering crescent behind them with lightning flickering occasionally in the north.

Thalia fell asleep on Porkpie's back. She must've been really tired, considering her fear of heights and all. Porkpie flew with ease and adjusted himself once in a while so she didn't fall off. Percy, Annabeth, and Natalia flew in a row of three.

"Your dad seems cool," Percy told Annabeth.

Annabeth glanced back despite California being far behind them now. "I guess so. We've been arguing for so many years."

"Yeah, you said."

"You think I was lying about that?"

It sounded an awful lot like a challenge. However, it seemed half-hearted, like she was asking herself that question.

"I didn't say you were lying," Percy denied. "It's just . . . he seems okay. Your stepmom, too. Maybe they've, uh, gotten cooler since you saw them last."

Annabeth hesitated. "They're still in San Francisco, Percy. I can't live so far from Camp."

"So what are you going to do now?"

They flew over a town. It looked like an island of lights in the middle of the dark. As soon as it was there, it was gone, thanks to the Pegasi's speed.

"I don't know," Annabeth responded. "But thank you for rescuing me."

Natalia cracked a smile. "What are friends for?"

"You didn't believe I was dead?" Annabeth asked them.

"Never," Percy answered.

She seemed to resist something for a moment until she spoke up again. "Neither is Luke, you know. I mean . . . he isn't dead."

Natalia frowned. She wanted nothing more than to hug her best friend, but it would be kind of hard while sitting on top of a flying horse.

"Anna . . ." Natalia trailed off carefully. "He fell from a pretty high up. I don't think—"

"He isn't dead, Natalia," she insisted. "I know it. The same way you knew about me."

Those comparisons were definitely not one in the same, but Natalia didn't argue on it. The towns were going by faster now, and the islands of light clumped together until the landscape looked like a glittering carpet. Dawn was close, and the eastern sky was turning gray.

And right in front of them, up ahead, a giant mass of white and yellow glow spread out — the lights of New York City.

"You're the man, Blackjack," Percy told his Pegasus. "Er, the horse, I mean."

"You don't believe me about Luke, but we'll see him again," Annabeth continued. "Natalia, Percy, he's in trouble. He's under Kronos' spell."

Natalia didn't dwell on that thought. She knew there was no point of trying to convince Annabeth otherwise. However, she couldn't understand why Annabeth still liked him. He had stabbed her in the back so many times and she just kept running back to him. Natalia looked over at Percy, who didn't look happy by Annabeth's statement.

"There it is." It was Thalia's voice, who was finally awake. She pointed towards Manhattan, which was quickly zooming into view. "It's started."

"What's started?" Percy questioned.

Natalia looked where Thalia was pointing. High above the Empire State Building, Mount Olympus was its own island of light, more impressive than all the other ones. It was ablaze with torches and braziers. The marble palaces that adorned the sides of the mountain gleamed in the morning air.

"The Council of the Gods has begun," Natalia announced. "Welcome to the winter solstice, Fish-Boy."

They flew straight up to Zeus' palace, which had thunder and lightning swirling around it, and circled it for a moment. Natalia had only been to Mount Olympus once with Percy by elevator, but it managed to amaze her even more. Torches and fires made the palaces on the mountain glow twenty different colors in the early-morning darkness. Demigods, nature spirits, and minor Godlings bustled about on the streets, either riding chariots or sedan chairs pulled by Cyclopes. Winter apparently didn't exist, since the gardens were in full bloom. Soft music from lyres and reed pipes drifted up from the many windows. And towering at the very top of the mountain was the greatest palace of all, glowing white — the hall of the Gods.

Natalia slid off Treasure and thanked the Pegasus. He nodded in return. Nerves immediately settled inside of her. She had never seen the full Council of the Gods together, only a select few here and there. But here they were, about to walk in the throne room with all of the Olympians.

The Pegasi flew away, leaving her, Thalia, Annabeth, and Percy alone. None of them said anything. They stood in front of the palace the same way they did in front of Westover Hall from what felt like a million years ago.

And then, side by side, they walked into the throne room.

Twelve enormous thrones in the shape of a U curved around a central hearth, exactly like the placement of the Cabins at Camp. Above them, the ceiling glittered with constellations, the most prominent of all being Zoë the Huntress running across the heavens with her bow drawn. All of the thrones were occupied with fifteen feet tall Gods and Goddesses.

"Welcome, heroes," Artemis greeted.

"Mooo!"

Natalia glanced over. A sphere of water was hovering above the hearth fire. The Ophiotaurus that Percy had affectionately named Bessie was swimming happily around the sphere. Grover was kneeling at Zeus' throne, but he straightened up when he saw them.

"You made it!" Grover exclaimed.

He began to run towards them, but suddenly looked back to Zeus for permission.

"Go on," Zeus ordered.

Zeus wasn't really paying attention to Grover. Instead, he was staring intently at Thalia.

Grover trotted over. It was kind of awkward since none of the Gods spoke, so the only sounds were his hooves on the marble floor, the Ophiotaurus splashing in its bubble of water, and the hearth fire crackling. Natalia interlocked her hands behind her back and lifted her chin up higher.

The Satyr gave all of them big hugs and then grasped Percy's arms. "Percy, Bessie and I made it! But you have to convince them! They can't do it!"

"Do what?" Percy asked.

"Heroes," Artemis called. She slid from her silver throne and turned back to her form of young auburn-haired girl. Her silver robes shimmered as she walked towards them. No emotion was painted across her face and she seemed to walk in a column of moonlight. "The Council has been informed of your deeds. They know that Mount Othrys is rising in the west. They know of Atlas' attempt for freedom, and the gathering armies of Kronos. We have voted to act."

Some of the Gods mumbled and shuffled as if they weren't all satisfied with this plan, but nobody argued.

"At my Lord Zeus' command, my brother Apollo and I shall hunt the most powerful monsters, seeking to strike them down before they can join the Titans' cause. Lady Athena shall personally check on the other Titans to make sure they do not escape their various prisons. Lord Poseidon has been given permission to unleash his full fury on the cruise ship Princess Andromeda and send it to the bottom of the sea. And as for you, my heroes . . ." Artemis faced the other Gods. "These Half-Bloods have done Olympus a great service. Would any here deny that?"

Artemis met all of the Gods' faces individually. Zeus, in his dark pinstriped suit with a neatly trimmed beard and eyes sparkling with energy; Hera, with her silver hair braided over one shoulder and a dress that shimmered the bright colors of peacock feathers; Poseidon, wearing a Hawaiian shirt over his deeply tanned skin; Hephaestus, with his leg in a steel brace and a misshapen head; Hermes, checking messages on his caduceus mobile phone in his business suit; Apollo, leaning back on his golden thrones with sunglasses over his eyes, a pair of iPod headphones in his ears; Dionysus, looking awfully bored while twirling a grape vine between his fingers; Ares, glowering at Percy while he sharpened a knife; Demeter, wearing green robes while sitting atop a throne weaved from apple tree branches; Athena, her gray eyes stormy as she looked at them; and Aphrodite, her form flickering to whatever Natalia resembled as beauty.

Natalia felt the amount of power in this one room. She wondered how the palace didn't spontaneously combust.

Apollo broke the silence. "I gotta say, these kids did okay." He cleared his throat to prepare for a poem. "Heroes win laurels-"

"Um, yes, first class," Hermes interrupted, very anxious to not hear Apollo's poetry. "All in favor of not disintegrating them?"

A few tentative hands went up, including Demeter and Aphrodite.

"Wait just a minute," Ares growled, pointing at Percy, Thalia, and Natalia. "These three are dangerous. It'd be much safer, while we've got them here-"

"Ares," Poseidon cut in, "they are worthy heroes. We will not blast my son to bits."

"Nor my daughter," Zeus grumbled. "She has done well."

Thalia blushed and studied the floor.

"And certainly not mine either," Artemis voiced. "Natalia is a brave warrior."

She locked eyes with her mother. Natalia gave her a tiny smile and nodded her head respectfully.

Athena sat forwards while clearing her throat. "I am proud of my daughter as well. But there is a security risk here with the other three."

"Mother!" Annabeth exclaimed. "How can you—"

She cut her off with a calm yet firm look. "The fact that my sister, Artemis, broke her morals is still quite shocking to me. But it is even more unfortunate that my father, Zeus, and my uncle, Poseidon, chose to break their oath not to have more children. Only Hades kept his word, a fact that I find ironic. As we know from the Great Prophecy, children of the three elder Gods . . . such as Thalia and Percy . . . are dangerous. And even though Natalia does not pertain to the Prophecy, she has enough power to shake the Earth. As thickheaded as he is, Ares has a point."

"Right!" Ares shouted. "Hey, wait a minute. Who you callin'-"

He started to get up from his throne, but a grape vine grew around his waist and pulled him down.

"Oh, please, Ares," Dionysus sighed. "Save the fighting for later."

Ares cursed and ripped the vine away from him. "You're one to talk, you old drunk. You seriously want to protect these brats?"

Dionysus gazed down at them wearily. "I have no love for them. Athena, do you truly think it safest to destroy them?"

"I do not pass judgment," Athena answered. "I only point out the risk. What we do, the Council must decide."

"I will not have them punished," Artemis voiced. "Especially not my daughter. I will have them rewarded. If we destroy heroes who do us a great favor, then we are no better than the Titans. If this is Olympian justice, I will have none of it."

"Calm down, sis," Apollo told Artemis. "Jeez, you need to lighten up."

"Don't call me sis! I will reward them."

"Well," Zeus began. "Perhaps. But the monster at least must be destroyed. We have agreement on that?"

There were a lot of nodding heads. Natalia suddenly realized they were talking about the Ophiotaurus.

"Bessie?" Percy questioned. "You want to destroy Bessie?"

"Mooooooo!" Bessie protested.

Poseidon frowned. "You have named the Ophiotaurus Bessie?"

"Dad, he's just a sea creature," Percy argued. "A really nice sea creature. You can't destroy him."

The God shifted uncomfortably. "Percy, the monster's power is considerable. If the Titans were to steal it, or—"

"You can't," he insisted, staring Zeus straight in the eye. "Controlling the Prophecies never works. Isn't that true? Besides, Bess— the Ophiotaurus is innocent. Killing something like that is wrong. It's just as wrong as . . . as Kronos eating his children, just because of something they might do. It's wrong!"

Zeus considered this, his eyes drifting to Thalia. "And what of the risk? Kronos knows full well, if one of you were to sacrifice the beast's entrails, you would have the power to destroy us. Do you think we can let that possibility remain? You, my daughter, will turn sixteen on the morrow, just as the Prophecy says."

"You have to trust them," Annabeth spoke up. "Sir, you have to trust them."

Zeus scowled at her. "Trust a hero?"

"Annabeth is right," Artemis agreed. "Which is why I must first make a reward. My faithful companion, Zoë Nightshade, has passed into the stars. I must have a new lieutenant. And I intend to choose one. But first, Father Zeus, I must speak to you privately."

Zeus beckoned Artemis forward. He leaned down and listened as she spoke in his ear. Natalia heard Percy and Annabeth having a quiet conversation next to her, but she ignored them. It felt as if her heart was going to beat out of her chest. She twisted her bracelet around her wrist.

Artemis turned back to them. "I shall have a new lieutenant. If she will accept it."

"No," Percy murmured.

"Natalia, my daughter." Natalia froze. "Will you join the Hunt?"

She considered it for a moment. Then she looked back to Annabeth and Percy. They were staring at her expectantly, a bit of melancholy behind their eyes. Natalia felt as if she was having a battle internally. She wanted to honor Zoë Nightshade, but she didn't want to leave her friends. Not now.

Natalia had made her decision. "I'm sorry, mother. But Camp Half-Blood is my home. I . . . I can't leave it behind just yet."

Artemis smiled knowingly at her. "I had a feeling you might say that, which is why I have another person chosen." She turned to another member of their group. "Thalia, daughter of Zeus. Will you join the Hunt?"

Natalia took one of Thalia's hand while Annabeth took the other. They both squeezed before letting go.

"I will," Thalia replied firmly.

Zeus rose with his eyes filled with concern. "My daughter, consider well—"

"Father, I will not turn sixteen tomorrow. I will never turn sixteen. I won't let this Prophecy be mine. I stand with my sister Artemis. Kronos will never tempt me again." She knelt before Artemis and began to recite the pledge. "I pledge myself to the Goddess Artemis. I turn my back on the company of men, accept eternal maidenhood, and join the Hunt."

When she was finished, Thalia came over to Percy and gave him a big hug. His face was bright red when she pulled away.

"Um . . . aren't you supposed to not do that anymore?" Percy asked. "Hug boys, I mean?"

"I'm honoring a friend," she corrected. "I must join the Hunt, Percy. I haven't known peace since . . . since Half-Blood Hill. I finally feel like I have a home. But you're a hero. You will be the one of the Prophecy."

"Great," Percy muttered.

"I'm proud to be your friend."

She hugged Natalia and Annabeth. Thalia even hugged Grover, who looked about ready to pass out. Then she went to go stand by Artemis' side.

"Now for the Ophiotaurus," Artemis continued.

"This boy is still dangerous," Dionysus warned. "The beast is a temptation to great power. Even if we spare the boy—"

"No." Percy looked around at all the Gods. "Please. Keep the Ophiotaurus safe. My dad can hide him under the sea somewhere, or keep him in an aquarium here in Olympus. But you have to protect him."

"And why should we trust you?" Hephaestus rumbled.

"I'm only fourteen. If this Prophecy is about me, that's two more years."

"Two years for Kronos to deceive you," Athena argued. "Much can change in two years, my young hero."

"Mother!" Annabeth protested.

"It is only the truth, child. It is bad strategy to keep the animal alive. Or the boy."

Poseidon stood. "I will not have a sea creature destroyed, if I can help it. And I can help it." He held out his hand, and his bronze trident that shimmered in blue, watery light appeared. "I will vouch for the boy and the safety of the Ophiotaurus."

"You won't take it under the sea!" Zeus stood up as well. "I won't have that kind of bargaining chip in your possession."

"Brother, please," Poseidon sighed.

Zeus' lightning bolt appeared in his hand. It filled the whole room with the smell of ozone.

"Fine. I will build an aquarium for the creature here. Hephaestus can help me. The creature will be safe. We shall protect it with all our powers. The boy will not betray us. I vouch for this on my honor."

Zeus thought about it for a moment. "All in favor?"

A lot of hands went up. The only ones who didn't raise their hands were Dionysus, Ares, and Athena. However, nine to three . . .

"We have a majority," Zeus declared. "And so, since we will not be destroying these heroes . . . I imagine we should honor them. Let the triumph celebration begin!"

The Olympians sure knew how to party. Music was playing from the Nine Muses, and it was made so you could listen to whatever you wanted to hear. Dionysus grew refreshment stands out of the ground while arm-in-arm with his wife Ariadne. He looked pretty happy. Nectar and ambrosia flowed from golden fountains while mortal snacks crowded the banquet tables. Golden goblets filled with whatever drink anyone wished, just like the ones at Camp Half-Blood. Natalia spotted Grover running around with a plate of tin cans and enchiladas, his goblet filled with a double-espresso latte. The Gods had all reduced to human size and continued to congratulate the Demigods.

Natalia, after being in a very intense conversation about how awful the winter was with Demeter (she knew she was just bitter that Persephone was in the Underworld), she pushed past Percy and Poseidon and stood in front of her mother.

"Hello, Natalia." Her silver eyes twinkled. "Do you wish to tell me something?"

"Um . . . yeah." She paused for a moment. "I wanted to say that I'm sorry for not accepting your offer to join the Hunt."

Artemis waved her off. "Nonsense, daughter. I completely understand."

"Yeah, but still . . . I want to honor Zoë as much as I can. But joining the Hunt means leaving my friends behind when they need me the most. War is approaching, mother. I can't back out now."

She nodded gravely. "I know. But Natalia . . . I am positive that you will honor Zoë by continuing to fight against Kronos."

"I'm sure my time will come for me to join the Hunt," Natalia admitted. "But that time is not right now."

Artemis put her hands on Natalia's shoulders and squeezed them gently. "You are so admirable, Natalia Flynn. I am so proud of you. Fight well."

With that, her mother was gone. Natalia let out a shaky breath she didn't know she was holding in and blinked back her tears. She didn't know why everything was hitting her so hard all of the sudden. Sighing, she wiped her eyes and turned to look for her friends.

In the distance, she noticed Percy and Annabeth dancing on the street. A small smile appeared on her face. The jealousy she once felt for them was now replaced with admiration. She had crushed on him for too long, but one thing was clear to her now: it was always going to be Annabeth to him.

Percy Jackson was not the love interest in her story. And even in the midst of all of the chaos going on, that was okay.

★彡

atlas: lol I'm removed from my burden!

percy, natalia, and artemis: you might've had the right idea, but the wrong bitch

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

307K 12.1K 71
𖀓 π‡π„π‹πˆπŽππ‡πˆπ‹πˆπ€. (n.) desire to stay in the sun; love of sunlight ❝ If you want to shine like a sun, you must burn like one ❞ βͺPercy Jack...
183K 9K 138
I could give you a sob story about how tough Cressida Lynn's life has been, but you're not here for that. You're not here to hear about how terrible...
467K 17.1K 103
"You will be glorious. You will be my glory." Y/N's life was quiet before that day. What day? The day a giant snake tried to kill him. Then it became...
1M 33.3K 47
𝑺𝑼𝑡𝑺𝑯𝑰𝑡𝑬 ❝ all right, Sunshine, brighten up ❞ ❝ I will hit you ❞ π™žπ™£ 𝙬𝙝...