Renovatio

By scolric

We have died. In a previous image. When we were completely unaware Of the self-known as "I". We had abandon... More

Foreword
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
Part 1
The Metamorphoses
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2
Part 2

Part 1

345 44 1
By scolric

Head low Jaehyun walked through the corridors as bright chatter past him. He was in no mood for combat training after recess. Sighing, he threaded fingers through stringy hair. Thinking about it he wasn't in the mood for anything really.

"What the," he said as he felt his arm suddenly being yanked. Glancing up he saw dark eyes looking back at him.

"Sorry," she said softly and let go of him.

"It's okay," he rubbed his arm and looked at her curiously, "Uhm...Jennie?" and she nodded.

"So you know me?"

"Yeah my father's mentioned you and Chae never stops talking about you. Well...use to, "he said sadly and Jennie's eyes shifted away from him.

"Oh," she whispered and they stood in awkward silence.

"Is there something you need?" he asked cautiously. Jennie looked around and saw that they were alone.

"I actually want to speak to you about Rosie...I mean Chae," she said lowly. Face turning serious, Jaehyun nodded for her to continue.

"Do you know what they've done to her?" she said in a whisper. Jaehyun's eyebrows rose, "And do you know what...she is? I mean you guys are taking private lessons for the same thing right?" she continued in a rush.

Jennie was filled with so many questions. When they'd been discharged from the infirmary Chae had been nowhere in sight. Then they'd been given a vague explanation about Chae not being normal and that they weren't allowed to see her. Whenever she asked her parents they acted strangely and stated the king forbid them to speak on the subject.

"Has Chae ever told you...about herself?" asked Jaehyun. Jennie thought about the question.

"I know what her favourite meal is, that she wishes she could go to her home village more and other stuff. I'm the only one she's told about the magic lessons and even then she was vague about it," she explained.

"I see," said Jaehyun and looked back. Dahyun was probably wondering where he was, "So she hasn't spoken about being an androgyne and who her ancestors are?" Jennie shook her head. She'd never even heard of such a word.

"Okay. I don't know if it's my place to tell you this," he said hesitantly.

"Please. You must," said Jennie urgently, "I need to see her. Taehyung, my brother, he said that they've locked her up or something and I don't understand why," Jaehyun could see Jennie was deeply disturbed by it.

"Okay, let's go somewhere quieter," he said. Sending a quick message to Dahyun through telepathos, Jaehyun walked them to the far side of the third quad. Recess had only just begun so they should have time.

"My father he's Chae's teacher. He's Dahyun and my teacher as well but there's a difference. Day and I both come from sorcerer lineages. My dad being one too," and Jennie's eyes widened.

"That's so cool," she said and Jaehyun smiled.

"If only everyone thought so. Anyway, he's teaching Chae magi as well but he's also her teacher in a different way. He helps her contain her energy flows which is linked to her capacity for magic. Because of who she's descended from Chae has a lot of energy."

"However, her body isn't trained to hold that yet. He's helping her learn that. What happened to you guys was because she wasn't able to contain her energy and in turn magic so it overflowed into the environment. The only reason nothing too serious happened was because she was able to cast a protection spell over you guys. If not, you might've died or something," he said and Jennie's eyes went wide.

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Wow I didn't know..." she trailed off, "What's an andro.."

"Androgyne," smiled Jaehyun, "In forest folk culture androgynes are sacred beings. From what my dad's said they're people with big tanks of magi-energy. And they grow up to have incredible physical and mental strength. For the forest folk androgynes represent the complete fusion of feminine and masculine energy making them close to the divine. Almost mystical. Especially those carved from the divinity Ina/Ana who Chae's meta or ancestor is a child of. But because of this it puts a strain on their physical body," he said.

"Their physical body?" asked Jennie and Jaehyun looked away shyly.

"Did Chae really not tell you guys yet?"

"No. This is the first time I've heard all this," she said.

"Well androgynes uhm," Jaehyun wondered if he should say this.

"Please. I must know. I want to help her," said Jennie. Sighing Jaehyun gave in.

"Androgynes carry alot of divine energy but they are also still human. So their transition into adulthood or uhm puberty is far more complicated than normal people because there's a chance their bodies will not be able to handle the growth of magi-energy that comes along with their puberty," he said and Jennie gulped.

"Huh?" she said and Jaehyun pursed his lips, "So Chae...may not survive?"

"Basically yes," huffed Jaehyun.

"Woah..." said Jennie and bowed her head.

"Yeah for androgynes puberty is a very difficult time because their bodies are adjusting to a lot of chemicals as well as molding to the magi-energy they can contain. Chae's been struggling a lot because her energy is so massive and even before beginning puberty she struggled to contain it."

"I see. She has no control over it then?"

"Yes. Not yet. But King Eon refused to listen to my father's advice to place Chae in a positive environment."

"Is it important for her to be in one?"

"Yes very important. If androgynes are surrounded by negative energy or too much negativity especially when they're growing up it can turn dangerous. Because their magi-energy will react in the same way as the environment they're in. I think that's another reason why Chae's been struggling so much," he said.

"But she lives in the palace," said Jennie as if it was obvious that living in the royal palace equated to good energy.

"I don't think living in the palace has been that great," he said and Jennie nodded in realisation

"Yeah," she said aware that both Chae and Jisoo rarely ever spoke about what happened behind the walls of the palace.

The bell chimed and they turned to see the other students scatter off to class. Getting up they walked back together.

"Thank you for telling me this," said Jennie.

"It's a pleasure. What are you going to do?"

"I don't know. Probably talk to Lisa and Jisoo about it."

"They've put Chae in one of the palace dungeons," said Jaehyun as he looked on ahead, "My father and Jimin are trying to get her out of it. They plan on taking her back to the village."

"What!?"

"It's the best way to convince the king and queen. Also she needs to be in a positive environment," they entered the main corridor.

"But the war is spreading and the rebels declared they'll kill any royal bloods," said Jennie.

"I know," Jaehyun looked down, "I think Jimin and dad will deal with that once they have Chae though."

"This isn't right," said Jennie with clenched fists. The second bell chimed and Jaehyun turned.

"It isn't but it will be okay. Anyway, we must get to class. I'll speak to you again Jennie. Farewell," he said and Jennie smiled.

"Thank you Jaehyun, farewell," she watched him walk off and soon she turned in the opposite direction to get to class too.

June smirked as they watched Jimin storm out of the court. Taemin looked at him and the king with deep disappointment before rushing off after his friend.

"You are making the right choice my king," said June as the doors shut. Leaning back into his seat Eon pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Are we? Right about this?" he asked and June walked around and stood before him.

"She is a threat to the public but she is also your daughter. The daughter of the king. By letting her stay in the dungeons, you are not only protecting the public but also herself. We do not want the rebels getting word of this," said June.

"But Devlin,"

"My king. That man failed to complete his promise to you. Besides this is the next best option since you do not want to fully get rid of her," said June and Eon glared at him.

"Did I not tell you to never mention that again."

"You did sir. But maybe it would be best to let her out of her misery and"

"June! I will not kill my own blood. That is against my honour. Enough," said Eon and June nodded.

"I apologize my king," he said with a bow.

"Get out of my sight," waved Eon and June retreated away. Once the doors closed he buried his face in his hands. The court servants remained still as the king bent down to his knees and asked forgiveness.

Lisa and Jisoo's eyes were wide as Jennie repeated everything that Jaehyun had told her. The carriage cricketed forward as they made their way back to the palace. Shifting uncomfortably at Jennie's suggestion, Jisoo spoke.

"I don't know Jen. My parents made it clear we can't see her."

"But Chu, they're keeping her against her will," Jennie's eyes were pleading.

"She did hurt us Jen. I mean maybe they're right to keep her away," said Jisoo.

"She can't control her powers Chu," said Jennie.

"Isn't sorcery banned?' asked Lisa in a whisper.

"Some sorcery is against the law," said Jisoo and Jennie rolled her eyes.

"Chae needs our help," she said.

"My mom says she tried killing us Jen.," said Jisoo.

"Jaehyun says she casted a spell to protect us just in time. Do you really think Chae would want to hurt us," said Jennie.

"My mom says that people would do anything for power," said Jisoo as she crossed her arms with a conflicted frown.

"Chu...I also don't think Chae would hurt us on purpose," said Lisa and Jisoo looked between her two friends.

"Guys Chaeyoung isn't...normal. I mean is she human?" asked Jisoo.

"What does that matter?" asked Jennie

"I don't know. It just doesn't sound right and it explains why she needed personal helpers since we were little," said Jisoo.

"Are you seriously being jealous right now?" said Jennie

"I'm not jealous!" snapped Jisoo, "I'm just thinking. My mom says Chae and Jimin want the throne for themselves that's why she did that to us."

"We're not even hurt," said Jennie rolling her eyes, "Are we going to go see her or not?"

"We are not," decided Jisoo, "I don't want to get in trouble."

"Lisa?" Jennie looked at their other friend and saw the conflict on her face.

"I don't know Jen. I don't want to get in trouble either," said Lisa while not making eye-contact. Saddened that her friends weren't willing to even hear Chae's side of things, she leaned back with a huff. They didn't speak for the rest of the ride.

"He refuses to here reason," said Jimin.

"We'll try again tomorrow," suggested Taemin.

"What would be the point?"

"We can't give up just yet Jim," said Taemin and placed a hand on his friend's shoulder, "I'll speak to my father again to talk to the king. We'll get Chae out," he encouraged and Jimin smiled at him.

"You and Uncle Clive have gone above and beyond. I don't know how to repay you," said Jimin placing his hand over Taemin's.

"We don't need repayment. This is just the right thing to do," said Taemin gently and Jimin felt so comforted by his support.

"Am I interrupting?" said a strained voice and they turned to see Taehyung glaring at them.

"V," smiled Taemin and let his hand down from Jimin, "Glad to see you," he said.

"Sure," frowned V and went to give Jimin a kiss. Taemin raised an eyebrow at the aggressiveness of it and Jimin seemed surprised too.

"Well hello," said Jimin breathlessly when they let go.

"How did it go?" asked V holding Jimin's hand tightly.

"Nothing. Dad is still refusing," said Jimin.

"I've asked my mom to speak to him again," said V.

"Good. The more of his friends on his case the better," said Taemin.

"Still I doubt he'll listen. His wife has him wrapped around her finger," said Jimin.

"Chae will be fine Jim. We have to trust that," said Taemin and Jimin's shoulders sagged.

"Yes, she will," said Jimin.

Placing down her pencil, Jennie looked at the door. She noticed that Hyuna was still working here. She wanted to break away from their homework session to ask the woman where Chae might be.

"I need the bathroom," said Jennie. Lisa and Jisoo just nodded and continued focusing on their books. Closing the door Jennie hurriedly looked around for Hyuna. Finding her in the kitchen quarters she pulled her aside.

"How may I help lady Jenny?" asked Hyuna.

"I want to see Chae. Please take me to her," said Jennie out of breath. Hyuna looked at the other servants and saw them eyeing them. Ushering Jennie into an empty room, she spoke softly.

"My lady, the king made it clear that you are not permitted to see Chaeyoung," said Hyuna.

"I...I don't care. I just want to see Rosie," said Jennie with puffed cheeks. Hyuna saw that the 13-year-old was not going to take no for an answer.

"Fine," she murmured, "But I'm going to cast a cloaking spell on you," said Hyuna and Jennie looked at her in confusion.

"I'm going to make you invisible so that people don't see you going down to the dungeons," explained Hyuna and Jennie nodded eagerly. Casting the spell, Hyuna made her way back to the kitchen to fetch Chae's food. Jennie followed behind her quietly, amazed that people didn't even look her way. Afew moments later Hyuna had a tray in her hand and they made their way to the dungeons.

Chae sloped to the other side of the room. Her fingers trailed over the walls, the shackles on her feet constraining her movements. Tensing as she slid down, she sighed.

"How long have we been here?"

Too long

Gripping her chest Chae felt her heart rate increase. Magi-energy swept around her and she saw the distorted faces again. Frightened, she concentrated on containing her overflow. She felt the energy return to her body.

You're getting better Chae.

Thank you, she thought. Atleast her time alone in here was worth something. She was getting better at containing her overflow. But she was also very unhappy. June and Bria would come down here and tell her how worthless she was and that it was unforgivable of what she'd done to Jisoo.

Most of her time in the dungeons had been spent crying, taking on Bria and June's insults, then having to force herself to believe in Jimin's promises to get her out when he came to visit. Her only solace really was Holland, Hyuna and E'dawn. But she could feel June and Bria's words eat away at her.

She didn't mean for her overflow to get out of hand and she felt so guilty for placing her friends and sister in danger. It was the only reason why she was practicing to contain her energy even though June and Bria's visits and the negative energy they carried set her ten steps back after she'd been able to take one forward.

Her mind was filled with these thoughts when she heard the door creak open. Hyuna made Jennie visible as the door closed behind them. Stepping out from behind her Jennie was shocked to see that Chae was in fact in chains.

"Hello Chae," said Hyuna as she placed the tray down, "I've brought your food and a visitor," she said and saw Chae slowly get up.

"Hello Hyuna," said Chae. She didn't know what Hyuna meant by visitor but soon she heard footsteps come towards her. Jennie stood in front of her friend and hugged her tightly.

"Rosie," she said softly unable to contain how much she missed her friend. Shocked at first by hearing the familiar nickname, Chae used tentative fingers and moved them across Jennie's face. Realising the face matched the voice, Chae's chest began to heave as her tears fell.

"Jenjen," she whispered and hugged her back just as tightly. The two girls held on to each other before Jennie stepped back to wipe Chae's tears away.

"I'm sorry we put you in here," apologized Jennie.

"No no," said Chae as she wiped the last tears away, "I'm sorry for putting you in danger."

"It's okay Rosie. You didn't have control over your powers," said Jennie. Her eyes were filled with sadness seeing the state her friend was in.

"Jen no I shouldn't have," Chae was cut off by Jennie's hands on her face.

"No Chae. You're going through you're...transition into adulthood. And I know its difficult for you. You did your best and was able to protect us anyway," said Jennie. Chae stiffened as she heard the word transition.

"How do you know I'm entering adulthood?" she said softly and Jennie let go of her face.

"I made Jaehyun explain things to me," said Jennie shyly.

"I..." Chae shifted a little.

"I don't care if you're an androgyne. All I know is that your my friend Rosie and that's never going to change," said Jennie with determination after seeing Chae's nervousness.

"Re..really?" Chae didn't know if Jennie really knew what she was and felt certain her friend would run away if she did. Hyuna too was surprised and quite taken by Jennie's statement.

"I really mean it Rosie. Your still my crybaby. Your still my friend. You..you're still you," finished Jennie softly, feeling like she wasn't getting her point across properly.

"Thank you Jenjen," Chae smiled weakly.

"My lady, we must return," said Hyuna to Jennie.

"Okay," nodded Jennie, "Chae I'll be back tomorrow okay?"

"Jen you can't, you'll get in trouble," said Chae.

"I don't care," said Jennie softly. She hugged Chae goodbye and she and Hyuna left. Smiling softly as she brought the tray closer to her, Chae felt a sense of hope as she began to eat. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7M 102K 68
Jennie said she's 100% straight, but she's not homophobic either. It's just that she has been inlove with a guy for almost 5yrs now. But, what if one...
1.5K 71 14
One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, f-" "Why do you always stop at four?" "I...
32.1K 842 9
I honestly believe that the universe has brought us together, we are meant to be. You're my only one. I love you. ... This story is MINE so please...
50.2K 1.3K 16
In the darkest corner of Seoul laid the worn out Luxury Ten theater. It was still running but only the lowest of the low went to hang out there. Gang...