Rhythm of Heartbreak (COMPLET...

By avidnovela

Jess is an innocent soul that only wants one thing in her life and that is to be bound with Shaun forever. Sh... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 11

43 4 3
By avidnovela

Sussie's face lit up when she saw Jess enter the recording studio. She was glowing with pride as she went closer to her and hugged her tightly.

I am so proud of your performance during the awards night, you were awesome back there, and I cannot help but wept of how beautifully you and Rick delivered each lyric. It blew my mind away!" she exclaimed exaggerating her words again. 

Jess smiled awkwardly as she uttered, "Thank you".

She dropped by the recording studio because she had papers she needed to submit, but she was not expecting everyone to offer their warm smiles and congratulations to her. She made headlines due to the unsuspecting duo.

Alexander went into the room, cutting her thoughts short. His animated presence was hard to miss and with all his might he announced loudly.

"Ahhhh... We have been blessed by such a lovely presence today! The beaming star of the current time Jess Lynn!" he winked, announcing it like he was a talk show host.

Everyone clapped their hands and offered smiles as their attention fell on her.

She blushed even more. She's never going to get used to this attention.

"I think we need to come up with a suitable title for her Sussie" Alexander mentioned while his eyes squinted up in the air like he was imagining it then he added "Whatever name that best describes her talent that can capture the general public," he commanded.

Sussie were all nods as she took notes of Alexander's instruction. He smiled at everyone and ushered them to get back to work.

He then led Jess to his office as he momentarily closed the door behind. He sat on his swivel chair as he handed her his tab.

Curious, Jess took it and was astonished to see her face as Rick's lips were on her. This was the infamous kiss during their performance, she was beyond embarrassed. The article says "Mysterious new female singer captured the elusive heart of Rick Reed" she gulped.

They have misinterpreted! It was on the cheek though, a friendly gesture. She reasoned out internally.

"This article is implying that something is going on with Rick and I..." she stated the obvious.

Alexander smirked. "Yes, and that is good..." he stated oblivious of her blush.

Jess's eyes stared at Alexander in disbelief. "But that is not true..." she said.

"We know that, but the public sees it differently. The reason why I showed you this is for you to be aware of how people perceive you now. The performance was beautiful but that is just the beginning for you. If you want to thrive in this industry, you must work harder and be better. While lingering on the mystery that you are with Rick can help you get to the top sooner, Alexander explained.

Jess listened intently as she tried to digest his words carefully. She understood his words, but her heart was denying his logic.

This is not about publicity; this is about creating music and being able to make a difference. She thought to herself.

"How is Rick handling this?" she asked instead.

Alexander smiled in her direction "he was up for it." he stated.

Shocked displayed on her face she tried to confirm if she heard him right.

He laughed.

"So, what exactly are you trying to tell me Mr. Miller?" she asked, cutting to the chase.

He inhaled deeply. "We need to ride along with the people's thoughts about you and Rick, it might not be true yet, but you must keep the audience guessing so they will continue to look up to you. You are undeniably a talented woman Jess no doubt about that, but you must understand that there are tons of talented people out there too. The competition is stiff" he stated bluntly.

Jess nodded after a second of silence. Alexander is indeed a talent manager, his thoughts go beyond the concept of singing and music, but it also includes promoting oneself and maintaining an image. She was truly in a different world now; she wondered how she could brazen herself with this fact.

Then her thoughts suddenly stopped as she realized the implications of his statement "What does he mean it might not be true yet about her and Rick?" she silently screamed "No way!" she thought inwardly.

She was about to retaliate and give him a piece of her mind when suddenly the door busted open, and Bennie Hacks came into view. His eyes roamed the office and then his gaze landed on Jess.

He smiled warmly. "Congratulations on your performance Jess" he simply said as he extended his palm to shake her hand.

She took it reluctantly. "Thank you, Mr. Hacks, I appreciate that," she replied.

Bennie chuckled. "I know I am old but calling me Mr. Hacks confirmed that, please call me Bennie."

Jess blushed and nodded anyway.

He averted to Alexander then "Have you told her yet?" he asked.

Alexander was quick in saying no. "I was about to inform her of the news," he answered.

Jess was confused by their exchange of glances when Alexander spoke again.

"As one of our newer artists in this recording company, you must go through training to help you hone your skills." he began. "And to help you achieve that we are requesting that you attend the music boot camp, it is a fifteen-day activity of different sessions targeting each aspect of skill building and help you immerse more about the music industry". 

Jess was tongue-tied. 

"How does that sound?" Alexander curiously asked. 

Jess was blankly staring at her manager. Luck has been on her side these past few weeks and she was grateful for all of it, but a boot camp? A boot camp that would be paid for by the company and that would allow her to better her talent is the chance of a lifetime and she would be insane not to grab it. 

Jess cleared her throat "Errr... of course Mr. Miller, it will be an honor, thank you for this opportunity." She gulped as her eyes moved from Alexander to Bennie. 

He smiled widely. "Great! And since you are new, Rick will be there too as a mentor, however, you will know the details once you are there. Pack what you need, and I do hope you will learn a lot from the boot camp you will leave tomorrow." 

She nodded enthusiastically; she smiled warmly as she exited Alexander's office leaving the two gentlemen. 

"Are you sure that this is necessary?" Alexander asked addressing it to the man who was seated comfortably on the sofa. 

Bennie was deep in his thoughts when his eyes went directly to Alexander. 

He chuckled. "Trust me, my friend, we are doing these two a favor. One way or another someone will benefit from this setup if it turns out according to plan". 

************************************** 

Jess rolled the car window down as she enjoyed the cool air on her face, she roamed her eyes in the countryside as she feasted on her green surroundings. She woke up pretty early making sure she wouldn't miss her ride. Alexander was kind enough to allow the company van to pick her up. They had been traveling for thirty minutes now, she expected Rick to be in the van with her and was relieved to see she was alone. 

She had not seen him after the awards night, and since Alexander mentioned he would be in the boot camp as a mentor, she knew their meeting would be unavoidable. The article that spread throughout about them has not ceased yet and she has no idea how to deal with it once she sees him in the flesh. 

She tried to wrap her head around it but failed to do so, she then decided to let fate take its course. She smiled, remembering how supportive Fred was when he heard the news, he was adamant that she should take it and go and that she did not need to worry about the Diner. She was indeed blessed with the people she worked with. 

She suddenly felt that the car stopped, and she saw a humongous resort facing the deep dark blue sea, she was wide-eyed. 

"Is this the boot camp location?" she asked silently. She stepped out of the car as she looked at the view. She inhaled, it felt so refreshing. She suddenly felt so excited, maybe she could sneak around and enjoy the place if the schedules weren't too busy. 

She smiled at the company driver as he helped her unload her luggage. She then ushered herself inside the massive hotel and was greeted by the front desk. 

She could not help but feel awe as she saw the intricate details of the building.

The main entrance was indeed Elizabethan, with wooden panels along the corridors, ornate chandeliers, and oil paintings of old bearded men in tunics and ruffs. The stairs led down into a tall gallery with a rug spread out over flagstones and a fireplace big enough to park a car in. A long polished wooden table had been set up for three. It was beautiful.

"Hi, my name is Emma, are you here for the annual boot camp?" she asked politely.

She nodded nervously. 

Emma smiled. "Welcome to the Beach House Hotel, I would like to ask for you to fill in this information first and I will give you the key to your room afterwards". 

Jess took the paper and was silently answering basic information, she moved to the corner where she saw an empty table and placed her stuff there as she continued to write the answers of what was asked when suddenly she heard footsteps heading towards the entrance of the hotel.

She didn't pay much attention to it when she saw a tall figure walking past her. He was wearing loose white jeans and white sleeves; his hair was dark blonde which he tied neatly and even though she could not see his face she could sense his confidence. Overall, he looks good from behind. She smirked, what the heck is she thinking?

Other participants surely are arriving now. She thought to herself. 

She continued what she was doing when she heard his voice talking to Emma, they exchanged pleasantries and his laughter echoed. She suddenly felt sick to her stomach. Her pulse increased; she was flushed. 

'No..." she uttered. 

She stared again at the man who was standing with his back facing her, how did she miss it? She cannot be mistaken, this is, this is... Then out of nowhere, he turned around and with all his glory revealed himself completely in front of her. 

Shocking was evident in his eyes too, as his gaze went on her face studying her. His lips quivered but he was quick to hide it. 

"Well, well, well, what a surprise?" she heard him say. 

"Shaun..." and with that, her heart sank she knew that this boot camp would be an absolute nightmare, so she silently cursed the man in front of her who was smiling mischievously adding to her agitation. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.9K 291 28
Amelia Claire, your typical beauty who's innocent and sassy at the same time. Shawn Whitman, who falls in love with the innocence she carries, the m...
23.9K 746 37
Megan had the perfect life-a life with a loving husband, a beautiful home, her dream job, and anything she could ever want for. That is, through the...
25.8K 539 23
What happens when you're in love with two guys at the same time. You love them both but you can't be with both because thats not right. Relations bec...
183 0 10
Cassie, a 30 year old female who has her life together, finds herself unexpectedly questioning what she wants in life, and who she wants. She has a...