The Lone Dove #1 ✔️

By darkblonde1

The Lone Dove #1 Love and Trust are two very important ideals, but what happens when the moment you lose the... More

ANNOUNCEMENT
PROLOGUE
01. An Enemy of the Elite
02. Reputation of Aaron Dark-wood
03. Contact of the Royal Elite
04. The Pink Silver Tint Of The King's Blushing Heart
05. Heard of a Russian Riot?
06. Live Like Legends
07. Lost In Memory
08. The Puzzle that is Maximus Myers
09. A Russian Discussion
10. Ignorance Is Bliss, Until It's Not
11. The Appearance of Dark-Wood
12. A Play of Russian Roulette
13. Wherefore Art Thou, Poppy?
14. Confession in Discretion
15. A Night of Clarity
16. The Trip Of A Lifetime
17. Red Royal Raid
18. Mother Dearest
19. An Invite Written in Truth
20. A Snippet Of The Double Life
21. The Rules To Reality
23. Misery Loves Company
24. To Woo A Girl Like Me
25. Welcome Home, Honey
26. Emotional Revelations
27. Maximus Myers...My Darling.
28. Eternal Love Of Embers And Sparked Flame
29. Jealousy Is In The Air...
30. The Reality Of Little White Lies
31. The Big Reveal
32. If I Face These Demons, Where Will You Hide?
33. Celestial
34. The Telling of Celestial
35. Till Death Do Us Part
36. Dance Like There's No Tomorrow
37. My Unforgettable Eden
38. His Indescribable Haven
39. The Parker Mansion
EPILOGUE
SHOUT OUT
BONUS CHAPTER
CHRISTMAS SPECIAL
A Lone Love (Maximus' POV)
The Little Dove (Melanie's POV)
The Little Dove Is On Wattpad!
A Lone World (Mathias' POV)
⚜️COMING NOW⚜️
⚜️Series⚜️
PINTEREST
Ivan's POV in Snippets:
Hideyoshi's POV in Snippets:
Diana's POV in Snippets:
Rosie's POV in Snippets:
⚜️For Newest Updates FIRST...⚜️

22. I Will Not Be So Easily Fooled

7.6K 326 264
By darkblonde1

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: I Will Not Be So Easily Fooled

I insert the USB in my laptop that I lean on my locker and open the file with the first letter of each word in my company name. The side of my head is blocked by the locker door, aiding in tuning out the manic laughter from the end of the hall.

Once I click through the files and pictures, it holds more files on my Father's older designs, architecture with a few scratch copies. A couple manuals too. I don't understand how these kinds of files are worth stealing, it doesn't even have much on the company.

"Princess, what are you doing?" Ivan's voice causes a small jump to rise out of me. I slam the laptop closed in a hurry, lifting it and rotating it to sit in one of my vertical casings.

"Whoa! Someone's jumpy." He comments afterwards, I quietly wrap my hand around the locker door as I calm my breathing. When my head tilts out to see who else is with him, I notice the rest of the Royals are but my group seem to be absent. I furrow my eyebrows before glancing up at a confused looking Ivan, Maximus, Andrew, Ryan and Everdeen.

"Is everything alright?" I ask, slightly breathless as I completely close my locker, leaning on it so the lock clicks into place as Ivan glances warily down at me.

"We're alright, the question is, are you?" Everdeen pipes up, her eyes scanning my form.

"Yes, you startled me is all. I'm working." I explain, fidgeting with my index finger and thumb.

"Oh, that's great. We were actually looking for at least one of you. Do you happen to know where either Diana, Trevor, Rosa-belle or Carter is? Or all of them, would be great too?" Andrew asks impatiently while I glance warily into violet eyes that study me with intense concentration, from where he stands with his arms folded.

It's been a few days since they'd invaded my house and decided a sleepover was in order, I guess falling asleep on top of Maximus and then waking up with him treating me like a little soft toy, cuddling me to death, made him think we strengthened our relationship.

I smile, opening my locker again and grabbing my laptop, "Sorry, I don't actually know where they have gotten to. Perhaps, the library?" I suggest, closing my locker and placing my bag on my back, turning as they follow closely, rather suspiciously, if I might add.

"Their cars aren't out front, you haven't heard from them?" Andrew questions, I sigh, taking out my phone.

I read the recent messages, "Carter, Trevor and Diana ditched today. Rosa-belle took a sick day, alright."

I walk towards my last class, they follow after for more questions, especially Andrew.

"What? Is she alright? She didn't tell me anything, do you have her address?" Andrew worries as he rambles on, I sigh. She probably won't want to see him right now, cramps and all can be quite vicious for some.

"Let her breathe, Andrew. She should be back next week." I try to reason with him but he still drills in for more.

"Could you tell me what's wrong though? Or at least give me her address, she's still not answering my messages or calls, she usually always does. Clearly I'm worried, could you just give me something!" He snaps at me, I stop suddenly before turning towards him and once he catches the look on my face, he backs up a few steps, in fact they all do.

"All I know, is that she took a sick day." I say to him quietly, before turning and walking towards the steps that lead up to the second floor.

"Wait, Princess! One more thing!" Ivan calls out, I turn around and raise an eyebrow in question. Waiting as I watch Ivan scoff and shove Maximus forward. A nervous Maximus forward.

Everdeen smiles affectionately while the others give reassuring glances to a sort of stumbling Maximus. He holds a folder in one hand while shoving the other behind his back, in an attempt to hide his shaking fingers. I frown a little in confusion, glancing into each of their eyes before Maximus clears his throat, gaining my attention.

"Ah...Poppy?" He stutters, his eyes are reassured and intent, but his lips tremble in anticipation, I blink a few times, wondering what has him so worked up, most students would be happier at the fact it's last period. Even I'm happy about that.

I purse my lips before, "Yes, Myers." I answer.

He racks the shaky hand through his slightly silky dark strands, is he sweating? I scrutinise my eyes a little, tilting my head. What on earth is going on?

"I-I was wondering if you were free, after school? The others are coming as well, but...I wanted to know-I mean, would you be able to come to dinner? With my family, as well." He stutters a little, his voice squeaking every once in a while before I fully process his elongated question.

Dinner? With his family?

His Mother is absolutely lovely, I'd be happy to even have tea with her but, if his father is there? I might as well prepare my own grave because that demonic snake is very likely to inject poison into me.

My eyes involuntarily narrow, before I realise Maximus winces in the background and the Royals grow quiet when I haven't said anything. I sigh, attempting to look neutral whilst ignoring the thoughts of his father drilling questions and attempting to make me look like an utter fool.

I swear I'm probably going to have to mentally prepare myself for an unnecessary tongue lashing. Annalisa is lovely but, shy, she's unlikely to rebel against Williams' wishes, and I cannot guarantee Maximus will.

"Alright, send me the address at least an hour before. I'll see you all this evening." I say, slightly strict, but I most certainly am not happy about this.

The others smile reassuringly to Maximus just as I turn to the hallway, a step forward on Maximus' part lets me know he's about to tell me he'd rather pick me up, I sigh.

"You're not picking me up, Maximus. Just send me the address." I call over my shoulder, just as I hear him growl, "How the hell does she always know what I'm going to say before I say it?!" Under his breath. The sound of a pat on the back can be heard before I walk into my classroom.

Every chivalrous act he displays is simply copied from the book of 'How to be a Gentleman', if he can portray one act that's not in the book, he might even get a kiss from it.

That's if he could.

Computer engineering never changes, my programming still requires a few edits but not too large that I'd fall behind. Many students crowd around the teacher as confusion drills into their thoughts, clouding the obvious answer.

Look outside the box, don't restrict to just one algorithm when there are many to use.

I sigh, turning back to my laptop, re-typing and fixing an error with my advertisement choice.

The bell rings precisely as I stand and take a step straight for the door, the rest of the class stays behind in hope to finish the assignment and submit, the exact assignment I had completed over a month ago. The one I was working on today was for the end of the year exam.

I take the steps quickly while trudging to the first floor. I walk through the many students, vaguely hearing my name but when I look around to see the caller, I don't recognise anyone that would usually call out to me.

I exit through the entrance and make my way towards my Aston Martin.

Right when I'm rifling through my bag for my keys, half way to my car, a large hand grabs a hold of my upper arm. He effectively pulls me backwards into him with a sudden jolt that I lightly glare into violet eyes when he rotates me.

"What are you doing?" I ask him, trying phenomenally hard not to snap at his behaviour, he could have pulled a muscle in my neck for that.

He smiles shyly down at me, in the vague background, in the corner of my vision I notice the other Royals jogging toward us as they try to catch up.

Maximus huffs next to me, as if he had been running straight for the past hour.

"Giving you the address since you insist on coming yourself, Darling. Has anyone ever told you you're more stubborn than anyone I have ever met?" He asks rhetorically, shaking his slightly heated head at me as if scolding me.

I roll my eyes, "It keeps you on your toes, does it not?"

"It most certainly does, you had the idiot running for your attention. LITERALLY!" Ivan puffs, sending a glare to Maximus, as he bends down, his hands on his knees and his face, completely red. Most of them seem quite breathless.

"Shut up, Ivan!" Maximus whispers on the side of his mouth, as he warily glances into my undeterred eyes.

Ivan waves him off as the others stand back up straight, hands on hips and wait.

Maximus hands me a card with the address on it, "Here, dinner starts at five." I thank him, and they follow me once I turn towards my car, unsurprisingly, parked right beside Maximus' Lyken. I talk over my shoulder, in a quick

"You have twenty seconds to answer each of my three questions truthfully or you are the one who risks castration, Maximus. What is your mother's favourite chocolate?" I ask.

He squeaks, gulping loudly before quickly answering with a stutter, "Aphrodite Chocolates." His voice losing the depth in tone it had before as he feels 'put on the spot'.

"Good, what's her favourite flowers?" I ask the next question, promptly.

He answers by the top of his head, "Red Dahlias."

"And, what's the most appropriate topic your father is likely to discuss under casual conversational conditions?" I ask the last but nonetheless, least question.

"His company." He breathes out, his eyes grow pale as he fidgets in front of me. Even Ivan, Andrew and Ryan grow nervous, while Everdeen is forced to turn away as she bends over with silent laughter. I don't really see what's so funny. They are legitimate questions.

"Great. I'll see you at five." I finalise before turning towards my car door, not once looking back as I reverse before their stunned to stone eyes.

Time runs by when I finally manage to collect Annalisa's favourite flowers and chocolates.

When I finally pick the right outfit, I type the address into my navigational system. I decided on dark burgundy silk trousers, a white blouse and a black, gold buttoned work blazer, with closed black three inch heels.

It's a half an hour drive to the secluded brick mansion on East Reign Avenue, its ocean view proves a peaceful aura to announce itself once I make it to their front silver gates.

A fountain lies in the middle of the Maximus' luxury manor, its angel wings sprout fresh water into the concrete well.

Many servants stand out front, as well as bodyguards when I park at the very front, all the Royals' fancy sports cars are parked in the many garages underneath the grand estate.

The night falls exponentially dark, as stars now decorate the once clear grey sky. The golden white entrance doors open with grace as a bodyguard holds his hand out for me, after opening my door.

I smile in thanks before Annalisa comes running out in her heels, "Poppy, it's absolutely lovely to see you. I'm ecstatic you could make it." She announces, once I laugh with her and grace her with a warm, motherly hug. She places a kiss on top of my straightened hair, that I'd tied in a low ponytail.

She gushes and squeals when I hand her the flowers and chocolate, "OH! You gorgeous sweetheart! How did you know?" Her face brightens red with her smile.

She gracefully grants the flowers in her hand and the chocolates underneath, "I had to drill it out of your son, he's not a man of many words when under pressure." I comment with a little giggle.

She laughs heartily as we make it to the foyer. The servants stop and glance with utmost shock as they hear her melody. I frown at that, but she doesn't notice as she wraps her arm around mine and leads us to the grand living room. This estate has a far more modern style, even the chandeliers look brand new as they bring the room a royal aura.

Maximus stands leaning on the fireplace, with a glass of some sort of beverage, while Ivan sits in a plush leather chair. Andrew, Ryan and Everdeen space out on the leather couch while Mr. Myers frowns with his arms crossed in the other corner.

"Why are you laughing, Darling?" Mr. Myers asks in confusion, I try my best not to glare at him as Annalisa's lovely laughter dies down to a blushing smile. Maximus stares nervously before he almost drops his glass once catching sight of me.

"Look what Poppy got me, Darling. Maximus, we're having a very long talk later, sweetheart." She pointedly stares with mock seriousness towards her son.

"Princess, you look..." Ivan trails off as his jaw slackens, their casual clothing makes me feel rather over-dressed, though it's better than being dressed poorly or under-dressed.

Everdeen blushes a little as they stand and turn to greet me, "Thank you for inviting me to dinner, Maximus and thank you for inviting me to your impeccable manor Mr. and Mrs. Myers. It's truly a beautiful sight." I say, professionally.

"Thank you so much for coming, Poppy. Lord, I've been wanting to show you my-" Annalisa gushes, rambling on sweetly as she grabs a hold of my hand, placing the chocolates down and handing a servant the flowers. Unfortunately, the demonic snake interrupts her, cutting her off completely.

"Darling, perhaps later. It's time for dinner." His enriched voice heightens, my jaw clenches at the sight of Annalisa's dulled highlights once he's interrupted her.

She heaves a large sigh, before turning to me, "I hope you like salmon, Poppy." She smiles as she asks quietly, I nod with a reassuring smile, when William clears his throat and holds out his arm to Annalisa. She squeezes my hand before placing one last kiss on my cheek, then walking towards him as they lead us to the candle lit dining on the back porch.

"Poppy, where did you get that blouse?" Everdeen gushes as she runs to me in her flats, jumping in for a hug, "Awe, c'mon, she even smells divine." She squeals, I pat her back with a little laugh.

Andrew thugs behind her, "You look beautiful, Poppy. I apologise about earlier today, I was just worried about Rosie." He says, his voice neutral but a relieved sigh releases from him when I instruct he not worry, it's understandable, I guess.

Ryan shares a small smile, as Ivan crushes me in a bone-demolishing hug.

"It's great to see you came, Princess. We were quite worried for a moment there." He whispers at the end, before a large body shoves him away, quite fiercely before a calloused hand takes my own and raises it to his lips, "Thank you for coming, Darling. It means a lot to me." His deep voice whispers breathlessly into the back of my hand.

I smile and tilt my head down in acknowledgment before removing my hand from his, ignoring the flash of hurt in his eyes, "Shall we?" I ask, my face holds the smile but my eyes don't match with it.

His smile returns before he raises his hand and directs it towards the open sliding doors, that lead outside.

My heels click along the floorboards as they step soundlessly behind me, whispering to one another as I feel their eyes on my figure.

Annalisa smiles from her seat and they both stand as we make our way to ours.

I sit at the other head of the table, while Mr. Myers sits directly in front of me.

"Welcome, Miss Parker, to the Myers residence. I hope the drive wasn't too out of the way." William chimes his glass as he stands and raises it to me, they all do, and the eyes turn to me.

I smile, raising my own, "Not at all, the scenery was rather refreshing." I note, glancing at the waters in front of us, just past the overflow of trees.

He nods with a silent grunt, while Annalisa smiles and the others dive in to their salmon salad.

"So, to get to know you better, Miss Parker, I was wondering if it would be alright to ask you a few of a few questions, if you don't mind." William asks with authority, even if I muttered I do mind, it would prove to be very inappropriate.

"Of course." I say in confirmation, before the nerves rack through the rest of the table, even Annalisa keeps her head down as she eats and sips her wine.

"So, Miss Parker. I believe you're eighteen years of age, attended primary, intermediate and high school all in Queens City academy. Your birthday was June twelve, a few weeks back-" Maximus interrupts with a snap, directed to me.

"Your birthday was the day before mine?!" He asks incredulously as the rest of the Royals gapes in my direction, a hurt-felt expression dances across his face like a bad salad. He looked betrayed most of all. I nod in small confirmation, not wanting to go any further.

"You didn't even tell us!" Ivan notes with the same tone of voice.

"My birthdate is not of any importance, I apologise for withholding the information." I say monotonically, even Annalisa sheds a tear once she hears what I had to say, my expression softens as I glance to her.

"I'm sorry, but I haven't celebrated my birthday in a long time-" she smiles sadly at me while William cuts me off with a nonchalant wave. Maximus continues to stare at me with such resentment, a disappointed pout crosses along his lips as the table goes quiet, before,

"No matter." Is all he says, continuing from the script beside his plate. Why celebrate a birthday when the two people who brought me to this world, left on the same date.

"No immediate family members stated, may I ask where your parents are, Miss Parker?" He asks, his uptight nose points up when everyone stares at me, none of them were sure of what happened to my parents, but Annalisa coughs a few times, after swallowing the wrong way.

My jaw clenches and my eyes harden drastically, I take a sip of my glass before answering his nosy questions, "They passed away five years ago." I say quietly, Maximus drops his fork onto his plate and rubs his already exhausted face, Ivan holds a fist to his mouth while Andrew and Ryan look to me with apologetic sympathy in their eyes. Everdeen runs a hand through her tangled auburn curls while blockading the gasp that escapes her, with her other hand.

William pauses from his notes and glances up, "I'm sorry to hear that, I lost my parents at a young age as well." He notes quietly, the first I've ever seen him this sentimental. Who knew he had a similar past. I was kind of hoping we'd have nothing in common, besides running our own businesses, not that he'd know that.

"Though, I cannot seem to track down their names or anything about them, it all seems to be rather...classified." He notes, intertwining his fingers in front of his half eaten plate, scrutinising me and looking for cracks.

He'll have to wait until we find other signs of life in our solar system.

"Does that seem rather odd?" He asks, while the Royals too, show suspicious interest on the matter.

The joints in my jawbone start to burn under the pressure of every clench I manoeuvre, "They were private people, I don't find it odd at all but rather, to be expected." I safely say.

Annalisa attempts to smile at me, though it trembles under the low light, William glances at her in slight concern, covering his hand over hers on the glass table.

He nods to me, before glancing back down at a file, "Actually, if you don't mind me stating, your file was rather classified as well, I could barely even find your current school results, let alone a mere picture of when you were a child." I did mind.

Annalisa and Maximus both frown at him, before Anna gasps, "You had our private investigator look into Poppy's file?"

"What the hell, Dad?" Maximus growls out, glaring menacingly at William as the others glance warily at the demonic snake.

I just gaze at the stars that reflect on the waves of the oceanic view, before turning my head back to the table, not at all bothered considering a private investigator would be completely worthless against my secured files and directories.

"What?! We don't know who this girl is, she's essentially just some stranger you picked up at school, Maximus. I was protecting this family and look what I found, barely anything substantial because even when my PI tried to get in, the files became corrupted on his end. Whoever you are, I already know you're hiding something big, you can either tell the truth or leave this estate and don't let the rest of your lies kick you on the way out." William snares my way, hissing like the snake he is.

I simply sigh, undeterred as Annalisa glares at her husband, before gliding her gaze to me with apologetic eyes. Maximus squeezes his glass in his hand, directing his angry eyes to me while the Royals glance at us, slightly frightened by William's aggressive nature.

"Those files are protected for good reason, as I said before, my family were, is and still are private. As am I. I apologise if it may seem odd, but you have to understand, the story of my parents passing is a severely upsetting, near to unbearable, subject to talk about on my behalf. All I ask is that we change the topic of discussion, as that very reason is why your private investigator could not find what you were specifically looking for, Mr. Myers." I say, quietly but strictly, he loses the colour in his cheeks, backing down when Annalisa puts a hand on his shoulder, in an attempt to calm the beast down.

Maximus continues to glare at his father, even Everdeen and Ivan can't stand the sight of his father, once he leans back, folding his arms and no longer feeling for an appetite.

"Do you have any criminal records?" Is the next bloody question that leaves his fang-hidden mouth. I close my eyes for a moment, even if there was going to be pudding, there's no way in hell that I'm staying to find out.

"No."

"How good are your grades?" Judgemental eyes cut through me as a hidden challenge rises in the mist. I hold the urge to scoff, this idiot has nothing on me and is only now changing his tactics of questioning.

"I am always ahead in each assignment." I answer truthfully, ignoring the food on my plate and taking a liking to iced water, I half wondered he told the maids to poison only what's on my plate, perhaps apply a truth serum.

"Who gave you the vehicle outside?" He asks, nudging his head in the vague direction of my Aston Martin. He is asking the most bizarre of questions.

"It was my father's before he gave it to me." I again, answer truthfully.

"Do you have any interest in my son's income, or his friends' for that matter?" Is his next grand question, our talk is far to quick as the Royals all play eye tennis, trying to keep up. I make my own damn income.

"No." I answer again.

"Do you have a career option and do you plan on going to college?" He asks, the next question.

"I major in Computer engineering and yes, I plan to, I just haven't decided which yet." I explain to him, a headache forms on the side of my head before my eyes dash back to the beautiful view.

"Well, that's disappointing, but I'll let it pass. Is computer engineering not normally a man's job?" He pulls out the strong stuff with that sexist comment, Annalisa looks at him disbelievingly, while I wave him off, he just made himself look far worse by being a sexist prick.

"No, there are many women in the facility, Mr. Myers. I quite enjoy it." I say, still staring at the water.

"I understand you have training in the martial arts. What on earth for, Miss Parker? There can't be that much danger headed your way?" He asks, glancing over at his son for confirmation, only to see how ashamed Maximus is of him, but he ignores it, turning back to me.

"You never know when you might need to use it, Mr. Myers. It's a build up of confidence as well, not just for the mere knowledge of knowing how to defend oneself." I say, in complete honesty.

"What do you think of my successful international accounting agency? I ask that you be truthful with your words, Miss Parker." He says next, finally a question I can give tips on.

I smirk slowly. Annalisa does too, leaning back, if I'm anything like my parents, she knows how easily I'll be able to show up her stuck-up husband. I liked that.

"Currently, your accounting enterprise is at a balanced standstill, though you have had impressive profits back in the day. A new rising of technology has brought upon internal and external problems towards your company name and your current agencies situated across Britain and France. Global expansion would be an effective way to increase standard profits and target markets across your borders." I pause as I watch his jaw drop to the floor, he stands slowly while the rest of the Royals stare at me with berserker looks. I'll cover it all up with, 'I took business for six years.' I continue, as they all freeze, even Annalisa hasn't seen me in action.

"Two years ago, you had an outstanding five year balance across your international agency. Unfortunately, due to recent competition, your profit share has gone down as more agencies are manufacturing online accounting services instead of making their customers physically come in to your companies walls for their bank account managements, taxation management and company build ups. Manufacturing your own unique programme will bring your company back to its previous heights, if change is applicable, Mr. Myers." I explain to him as anger dawns on his face.

"How could you possibly know any of that? Those aren't public files." He growls at me, slamming his hands on the glass table.

"I'm sorry to tell you, Mr. Myers, but in true fact, they are." I say with a drastically slow effect. He snatched his phone from his pocket and excuses himself to make a few much needed phone calls.

My jaw clenches further as my teeth grind, I take a sip of my glass at the dry, crackled skin on my lips. Nausea mixes in with the stone cold air.

"I'm so terribly sorry, Poppy. You truly have no idea, how much." Annalisa says quietly, while the Royals continue to stare at me with foreign looks, their faces glass over in sure surprise.

I shake my head at her, there really is no need, "It's not your fault, Annalisa. I would never hold you nor your son accountable for anything that has happened during this evening. In fact, with a change of subject, I have contacted Reina and she should be in touch with you soon, I have also sent you an email, as of recent, in a few designs for an opening, to your expedition. If you are still interested?" I ask her as her eyes brighten under the small candles that light up our night.

"Oh my Lord, Poppy! You truly have no idea what this means to me. Do you mind if I quickly use my work laptop to check it out, I'll be quick, I promise." She nods profusely, entrapped tears glass her eyes but, she doesn't let a single one, fall.

I nod, "Take all the time you need, Anna."

The royals stand as they watch Maximus' mother jump in absolute excitements she makes her way back through the living room.

I hear the sound of a glass drop to the floor, and Maximus is in front of me in less than a second afterwards. I stumble back a few steps, "What the hell, Maximus?" I scold him for his abrupt behaviour, he smiles the 'joker' kind of smile which makes everyone's eyes at an amplifying rate.

That's when he does something that surprises more than just me, but rises a small scream from my lips. He squats quickly before encasing both his arms around my waist, then using his strength, height and arrogant natures to FREAKING throw me over his shoulder.

All the way this time, where my face is now pressed flat on his tightened back muscles. Freaking brute!

The royals follow with mischievous smiles, "This is kidnap! What in the absolute hell are you doing, you stupid, egotistical fool!" That rises a large round of chuckles.

"That's a new one, Darling." Maximus smirks through his cocky statement.

Where's that pressure point again? I could have sworn there was one on the lower back.

Right when I'm about to locate it, he shuffles me higher before leading the way upstairs, Ivan pokes me a few times on the way up, "Do you want to keep that finger, Torres?" I ask him, politely, but he shrieks away, falling into Everdeen. Such a complete wuss.

"Now, now. Darling, it is not the time to be making threats." Maximus points out as if taking to either a mental patient or a scolded child.

"I will rupture your freaking spleen the moment you let me go, you blithering lunatic." I screech when he jumps to the next stair, smacking me against his back. I feel very, very nauseous and I barely ate anything for crying out loud.

Wherever the world he is taking me, I swear he chose the long route on purpose.

"Seriously, Maximus. What is the point of-" I get completely fed up with his behaviour, but then he goes and catapults me throw the air, my eyes close on their own account, as I await whatever he's decided to throw me on.

I didn't realise he hated me that much to have thrown me on...a duvet?

I open my eyes, glance around and purse my lips.

He's as poisonous as his father. The royals crowd around what I assume to be Maximus' bed, smirk down at me like creepy serial killers, while I'm over here with my heart lodged into my throat.

"Do you still want to rupture my spleen?" He smiles down at me, leaning both fists on the duvet next to me, he expresses a 'thinking' face for a moment, before adding, "Darling?"

I scrutinise him with evil eyes, "I'm attempting to locate an appropriate place to bury you." Is all I deathly say to his smug face. The man surely has a death wish.

Overwhelmed and exhausted, I drop back into his pillows, "You are one hell of a firecracker, Princess. We didn't even know that much about his company." Ivan scoffs as he topples on the bed like a toddler new to walking, clumsy and unfortunately, hopeless. He doesn't characterise himself as cute though, leave that to actual toddlers.

"Lord, did you see his scrunched up face? Your father looked constipated as Poppy the destruction-ist brings down his perfect fatigue, how did you even know that much about his company, Poppy?" Everdeen spreads out her arms as she too, makes herself comfortable on Maximus' enlarged mattress. She spins in her spot as the others look to me in wonder, even Maximus can't remove his eyes from my profile, as he plays with my hair on his pillow.

I roll my eyes, sigh in defeat and sit up against the ogre's protest.

"I had to study his company for a business project, and I took business for six years. I apologise Maximus, if I seemed rude or out of line-" he sits up straight away when I do this, shaking his head and looking intently into my eyes, like he always does.

"No, don't apologise. I'm the one that should be begging on his knees for your forgiveness. The questions my bastard of a father asked, were cruel. I just can't believe he'd have the family PI look into your name, it shocks me more than anything." He leans back, furrowing his eyebrows as he places a hand on my mid-back, massaging.

"I've never seen your Mother all giggles and smiles, til now. You're absolutely out of this world, Poppy." Ivan compliments, at the discretion of Maximus' glare.

"He's right. These two are known are almost impossible to impress, and you had Maximus' father standing in shock. We're sorry about your parents by the way." Everdeen murmurs, while the others follow after.

I shake my head but keep my face neutral, "Thank you but, there's no need. It was a long time ago."

"Is this why you don't celebrate your birthday, Darling?" Maximus asks with extract hesitance, even the others give him a risky glance.

"One of the reasons, but, I'd rather not discuss that, Myers. I'd like to know, by the expressions on your parents expressions are going to be when they both make it to your door in the next fifteen seconds, and what they think of me?" I say quickly, as I'm the only one that sits up while the others slowly face the door, completely confused.

Right before Maximus can open his mouth, the door slams open with a very sounding bang, that gets the royals to sit up, pretty quickly.

"Miss Parker!" Williams voice shouts at the exact time his wife squeals, "Poppy!"

Though the tones of their voices are a stark contrast of each other's.

They turn to each other then, William's is incredulous while Annalisa looks at her husband with a disapproving look, shaking her head at him, before stepping forward.

It's far too comical to keep serious expressions the Royals' faces convey. A giggle escapes Everdeen first and then all hell breaks loose.

Ivan and Maximus almost fall off the mattress when they lose themselves to belly-dropping laughter.

William looks at his son as if seeing him for the first time, eyes widen acutely and he slowly lets go of his tense posture, before glaring over to me, "Miss Parker, may I see you in our lounge, at the entrance, for a moment?" He asks, attempting to look polite, but cannot quite master the skill.

Annalisa glances warily at her husband, before raising a hand to her shoulder, "Darling-" he cuts her off, once again.

"No, I'm sorry, Darling, but this is very important." Is all he excuses, shrugging her off gently, but placing a peck on her lips at her hurtful expression, only her eyes darkened when he did.

Maximus stands, "Father, that's enough. You've already ridiculed her of your pathetic questions and attempts to show power when really you look like an utter fool compared to-" William growls at his son, clenching his jaw.

"Sit down and be quiet. Miss Parker, it will only be a moment, then I will have to ask you politely to leave." His snake-like hiss reaches, cutting Maximus off and even attempts to murder me with his eyes.

"WILLIAM!" Annalisa screeches at his behaviour, he can't seem to stand the sight of her disappointment, he turns away and walks down the hall, the sound of a door slamming hits next. The bed screams when I stand, the Royals join me in a millisecond, stopping my advances with a large blockade.

"No bloody way, Darling! Sit back down." Maximus sternly orders, pointing back to the bed with crossed arms.

"I agree with Maximus, it's not a good idea, Poppy." Even Ivan looks graciously nervous, staring into my eyes with such seriousness, it's a little hard to take him...well, seriously.

"I'll be fine, now excuse me." I walk around them with an easy pace, even Annalisa shakes her head.

"Please Poppy, I really don't want him to scare-" She stops tearing up when I give her a hug, my heels aren't even high enough to match her height.

"He won't, you know he couldn't, Anna. I've seen far worse." I whisper, rubbing her back in comfort.

She stares at me, "What?" She breathes out, as if William was the absolute worst. I shake my head, nothing she needs to worry about.

I have them all at my heels when we make it down the spiral staircase.

William sits on the lounge chair with a scotch in one hand and the other holding his forehead as he leans forward.

"Excuse us, please." William stands, annoyed and fairly frustrated.

Maximus grunts, not moving but his Mother slouches and grabs a hold of Maximus' shoulder, "It will be alright, Maximus. This one is definitely not one to be reckoned with." She says, cheekily smiling at the confused Royals, before they glance at me with furrowed eyebrows.

She blows a kiss my way, I smile at her before she leaves an almost indestructible Maximus Myers, and his very reluctant crew.

"How you've managed to change my entire family's world right round, I will never know, Miss Poppy Parker." He shakes his head, standing and leans on the fireplace.

"I don't know how you came across such information about my company, though I'd never take advise from such a low-life commoner looking for wealth with her greedy hands, but I will not be so easily fooled. Your consideration is knowledgeable and recommendable, but I will not take advice from someone as stupidly foolish as you. You seem to make my son and my wife ecstatically happy, but that, is my job, and I won't have you meddling in with it. I'll tell them you've already said your goodbyes." He finishes his scotch in one gulp, glaring into my eyes once he's said his last words.

"If I'm so stupidly foolish, Mr. Myers, then why is everything I have stated, the very truth. Your expense doesn't prove me otherwise, for your family's sake, please take my advice into more consideration." I say to him in a spitting manner.

He stares at me, "Who are you to speak to me like this?" He growls lowly.

"John Parker. Christina Parker." I say, lowly.

He freezes in his form.

Hitching a breath.

I step forward in my heels, "I'm not interested in your son's money, William, considering I make my own and far more than you could ever dream of." I snap at him, keeping my voice low, knowing that if anyone could hear, it would be the end. His amethyst eyes penetrate mine.

"That's impossible. Neither of them had kids." He slices low.

"Oh, for goodness sake, William. Look at me. Look at what I know about your damn company and your bloody want to emerge with the Parker enterprise. And No, your son doesn't know what I own nor what I do for a living, but Annalisa recognised immediately at that hospital. You were too ignorant to figure out just who I look like. Did you just want to forget? Did my Father kick you away that badly?" I ask him, lowly.

His entire face pales, "Poppy Parker. He groomed you. Jamison was suppose to lead the company, or each suitor for each district. How the fuck is it possible that a mere teenager runs such an enterprise?" The menace in his voice burned with fuming adrenaline.

"Because no one would look twice, William. I can see why my Mother never liked the fact Annalisa loves you because you are quite the narrow-minded man. The questions at dinner, the looking into my family, coming up empty, did you not take a guess?" I wonder, folding my arms.

"I will expose you for everything you are." He growls lowly.

I stare into his eyes, "Do that and I'll run your Accounting agency through the ground. Dad threatened to do so too...before you made a deal with a certain Celestial." When I say this, I watch his eyes flash, his hands fist at their sides.

"I had nothing to do with your Mother's or John's death. As far as I'm concerned...they're dead. I won't let you hurt my family just because you feel you have the fucking power too. That company is Maximus' legacy." He mutters, trembling fingers running over the light stubble on his chin.

"I wouldn't go after your family, but I'd certainly go after you." I snap at him.

He stares at me indecipherably, "I should have seen it, you look so much like both of them. I should've known." He keeps mumbling. His eyes darting around my every facial features, lips trembling now too, as if every part of him was tuning just by standing in front of me now.

I stare at him, closely, "Did you have anything to do with my parents' deaths?" I say, darkly.

He stares at me, eyes penetrating mine like he couldn't look away, "He was my friend. Even if I hated your mother, even if he cut everything off with me...he was my best friend. Leave, before I change my mind and tell my son everything." He says to me, darkness clouding over in his now glassy eyes, I watch him walk away holding the side of his head, brows furrowed, as if pained.

I tried to understand what he meant. Was he a part of it or not? But he only stumbled out of sight and sound. Not uttering another word, unable to look me in the eye.

The sound of multiple steps trudging back in can be heard, it made me fix my expression, "Are you alright? What did he say? He didn't hurt you, did he?" Maximus fires questions at me like the raging bull he makes out to be.

I sigh at him, shaking my head, "I am absolutely fine, Myers. Though, unfortunately, I really must get going-" Everdeen is the first to protest, before they all start to argue reasons not to leave.

I smile and give Annalisa a quick hug, "I'll be sure to look over your art study another time, Anna. Let me know what you think of the brochure and if you want to provide any alterations, I'd be happy to help." She nods profusely as she returns my hug.

"Thank you, Poppy. Though, I'd be more excited when I can finally call you my daughter." My eyes widen and the Royals all go deadly silent at her statement.

Holy hell!

What do I say to that?...what the hell do I say to that?

"No worries, and unfortunately, your bundle of nerves behind me, will probably take his time on that accord, but, thank you Annalisa, that's very sweet." Is all I say, smiling at her.

"Well, I've got to make tracks, but, thank you for inviting me into your home and Maximus, thank you for dinner." He's still completed still, shocked and staring at his mother with the expression of the year.

The brightest and reddest his face has ever plastered. I giggle, placing a kiss on his cheek which jolts his nerves as he stares down at me. He can't seem to move an inch, paling at the small kiss on the cheek. Even Everdeen is completely shocked, while they all stare at Maximus' mother.

"Bye, Poppy. I'll send you an email later, sweetheart." Annalisa waves as I walk through the door, I return the wave before walking towards my car. Ivan, Maximus, Everdeen, Andrew and Ryan don't say or do anything, though once I've revved the engine, I look in my back mirror to see Maximus attempt to run after me, bolting down the steps and even yelling my name, but I'm too far now to stop.

Ivan stops him before he loses it, but I'm already out of the gates.

Slightly too late, Darling...

*****

A wonderful Hello, to all those reading my novel. Thank you all, times a gigantic billion for voting, commenting or even taking the time to read.

Let me know what you think and please, ENJOY!

Cheers,
Darkblonde1

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

539K 27.1K 43
[A Dialogue story] [Stand Alone] Cover By: @theworddealer ---------------- "I can't believe you! How could you do this to me? After I told you...I tr...
1.2M 54.3K 55
This book can be read as a stand alone Greyson Blake Rosen-Hower Who doesn't know that name? Everyone with a pulse knows his family. He's blessed wit...
46K 1.4K 18
A Ben 10 Fanfic of what would happen to the tale of Ben Tennyson if he were to have a best friend who also acquires a watch similar to the Omnitrix...
151K 4.4K 37
Jacqueline West, an average girl, who could barely take care of her self finds her life twisted upside down. Taking care of a kid while going to scho...