The Years of Blue [2]

wintergirl08 tarafından

Book 2: After the disaster of last year, The Fountaine family has decided to take their daughter out of Hogwa... Daha Fazla

Welcome!
Music Playlist
Chapter 1: The Fourth of July
Chapter 2: The Guests
Chapter 3: Names and Surnames
Chapter 4: Quidditch and Letters
Chapter 5: I Leave at Last
Chapter 7: The Carriage
Chapter 8: Beauxbatons
Chapter 9: The Fountain
Chapter 10: Another Surprise
Chapter 11: My Mother Shows Off
Chapter 12: Parents Weekend
Chapter 13: I Find Malfoy
Chapter 14: Theo
Chapter 15: End of a Term
Chapter 16: My Father's Temper
Chapter 17: Secret Passages and House Elves
Chapter 18: Dark Artifacts
Chapter 19: Christmas Eve
Chapter 20: The Worst Ending
Chapter 21: An Old Friend
Chapter 22: Sirius Black
Chapter 23: A Special Moment
Chapter 24: Letters in Spring
Chapter 25: My Future to Dread
Chapter 26: Finals
-Half Way Point-
Chapter 27: A Chaotic Summer
Chapter 28: An Election to Remember
Chapter 29: My Summer in Shatters
Chapter 30: Soufflé and Weasleys
Chapter 31: An Unwelcome Reunion
Chapter 32: Quidditch World Cup
Chapter 33: The Dark Mark
Chapter 34: A Time of Transition
Chapter 35: Back to Beauxbatons
Chapter 36: English Exams and Potions
Chapter 37: Rehearsal
Chapter 38: Beauxbatons takes on Hogwarts
Chapter 39: The Goblet of Fire
Chapter 40: Classes at Hogwarts
Chapter 41: Hit with Reality
Chapter 42: Queen of Gossip
Chapter 43: Malfoy the Ferret
Chapter 44: The First Task
Chapter 45: Sibling Affection
Chapter 46: The Notice
Chapter 47: Politics of Dating
Chapter 48: A Worldwind of Dates
Chapter 49: Christmas Day
Chapter 50: The Yule Ball- #1
Chapter 51: The Yule Ball- #2
Chapter 52: The Yule Ball- #3
Chapter 53: Aftermath of a Ball
Chapter 54: Recovery
Chapter 55: Saving Grace
Chapter 56: The Merge of Friends
Chapter 57: The 2nd Task
Chapter 58: Snapshots of March
Chapter 59: Letters to Damion
Chapter 60: The 3rd Task
Chapter 61: A Time to Mourn
Chapter 62: The End for Now

Chapter 6: Paris

929 20 2
wintergirl08 tarafından

Situated in the middle of a large openly lit sitting room, sitting in a cream-colored arm chair sat my Grand'mère, slowly sipping at a hot cup of coffee, waiting for us to arrive. The time was 1pm.

When the earth came in contact with my feet, I looked out to see the old witch slowly raising from her chair, ushering us out of the fire place while muttering in quick French.

"Oh you all look so dirty. I told you Emmeline to not take floo network! Always such nasty business and you ruin your clothes." She paused to wipe off ash from my mother's dress while giving her a look over. She stopped at my mother's face.

"Really Emmeline, must you travel in a dress? Many wizards of this community see bits and pieces of witches underskirts when they travel through floo channels. We don't need you flashing the whole of Paris, now do we?"

I forgot how much my grand'mère laid it on my mother every time they were in contact. No wonder my mother looked rather pinched when we left the house moments ago. They gave each other two kisses, one on each cheek before my grand'mère turned to me.

She gave me a quick once over before patting me on the head lightly with a smile.

"Ah come here Ma Belle!" I gave her a giant smile before kissing her twice on each cheek and responding back with "Bonjour Grand'mère! I've missed you."

I watched as she brightened at my use of French and patted me dearly on the head.

"Listen to you! I hear no American accent like your silly brother, Damion. Ha! He has too much of his father in him. Too proud. But you are very French. So much like your Mamen." She gave me a look over and motioned me to turn which I did slowly. My mother watched warily from the sidelines, her gaze going from me to around the room that she knew all too well.

When I stopped to face grand'mère again she clapped happily before going on to say I was getting taller and taller by the day.

"And so much like your Mamen! So much so." She then turned to my mother who continued to fidget with her bags unnecessarily.

"For god's sake, Emmeline, if the bag is such a trouble drop it. Don't act like such a fidgeting lamb!"

My mother, rather beside herself, dropped her bags and crossed her arms foolishly. This was a very different side to my mother then what she showed in Newport and I was greatly enjoying it.

"I'm merely tired Mamen," my mother said quickly. "Can you tell us where we shall sleep so I can put my things away?"

"Ah oui!" she nodded as she ushered us out of the room and into a grand hallway made of all wood and open windows. Multiple doors lay open revealing separate mute colors of parlors, sitting rooms, a music room, and a desk area.

She stopped short at a stairwell where she drew her wand and with a short swish appeared two house elves in clean blue uniforms.

"Bring my families bags to their rooms, if you please." I gave my bag willingly to one of the house elves while my mother gave her's less so.

"Mamen, what rooms will you be giving us?" My Grand'mère waved her hand in passing as she discussed the situation.

"Don't trouble yourself, Emmeline. You will get your old room and Ava will get your sister's-"

"I would prefer it if Ava shared with me, or even went into another room, Mamen. Really, Amélie's room must be all musky from no use!"

"Nonsense, Ava like's her Tante's room, don't you ma belle?" I nodded sweetly, causing my mother to look put out as she went on.

"But Mamen the last thing I need is for Ava to get sick from all that dust just days before she leaves for school and-"

"Emmeline are you trying to run my household?" my grand'mère asked, turning on my mother coldly. Mamen went silent and shook her head.

"No, of course not. I only meant-"

"Your daughter will sleep in your sister's room, which has been recently cleaned earlier this morning, just so you know. Now, is there anything else you wish to address or can I continue to Host, Emmeline?"

My mother had no response to my grand'mère's reproach so Grand'mère walked on into the next hallway with us following silently behind. While my grand'mère ushered us toward the kitchen for coffee and treats, I turned to my mother and grasped her hand as a comfort.

I knew from my many visits to this house that my mother was no fan of coming back here. And while my grand'mère was somewhat to blame with her strict ways, it really revolved around my Tante Amélie, who had died when my mother was 12. The room I stayed in was once hers and still had some things that belonged to her when she was alive. My mother avoided that room like the plague and this house in general whenever she could for that reason while my grand'mère chose to revel in it, and move on.

We sat out on a side table where coffee was poured by a free moving coffee pot and scones and madeleines were dished out for the three.

I immediately started on a madeleine causing my grand'mère to laugh good naturally while my mother sulked while trying to hide it behind her cup of coffee.

"You must not eat so fast, mon ange. You will get sick!" my mother chased but grand'mère waved the command aside.

"Honestly, Emmeline, you were no better at this age. Nothing I'm sure Madam Maxime can't fix in time."

"Who is she?" I questioned after a sip of coffee.

"Your new headmistress," my mother stated simply. "She has run Beauxbatons for nearly ten years now."

"Sixteen to be exact. Very impressive for a woman of her right. Half giantess and all," my grand'mère commented, causing my mother to give her a look.

"Never say such a thing at school, Ava. It won't be kind-"

"Don't listen to your Mamen, Ava! Who cares if she is a half-giantess. Half of France is made up of some part Veela. Why should having giant blood be any different?"

My mother went back to her coffee again while my grand'mère winked at me comically.

"Now, what more do you need for your wardrobe before starting school?"

"I'm not sure. I think we got everything we needed before we left home," I commented. She looked upset at the news before waving it aside.

"I'm sure we can find something that you need. I won't let you go without something from your grand'mère. Your mother always had many things from my Mamen. It's only natural that I can spoil you too."

"Grand'mère bought me all those things because you were too busy to do so yourself," My mother responded back haughty causing a quick, remarkably similar, glare to appear on my Grand'mère's face.

"I will not go on fighting about this subject again, Emmeline. You are too old to pout like this. You'll only get more wrinkles on that face of yours." My mother took another sip of her coffee before replacing the empty cup on its saucer with a bang.

"Fine. Ava needs proper ballet slippers. The ladies at the shop in Newport didn't have the color blue required for Beauxbatons." Grand'Mere's expression lit up again as she nodded approvingly. The past spat was forgotten.

"Very good. I know just where we can go."

Paris was another major hub for wizards of all classes to roam and work, especially those in the government. While my Grand'mère lived in the rich suburbs right outside the city, some of my other relatives lived within, and lived in lavish wealth similar to that seen in New York.

One such relation who lived as such was my cousin Célia. Though not a true cousin by blood, her mother is my mother's cousin and so we are close as one family is when we are small and unbelievably wealthy.

Célia was a young socialite in Paris who had just finished Beauxbatons and was now on to newer and better things that she says are still on the horizon. In other words, she spends all her days partying and not working.

"Naturally, her mother Charlotte is beside herself with grief. You never know what Célia will do one of these days from a bad party," my grand'mère mused as we started down the street toward Montmartre Place Cachée, the wizarding shopping district in Paris.

"If you are asking me, Mamen, to intervene in Charlotte's parenting style to sway Célia, you are greatly mistaken," My mother mused as she walked along the sidewalks of the late afternoon. It was now about 2:30pm, an hour and a half since we first arrived in France and I was still groggy from my early morning wake up at 6 am east coast time.

"Why not? Célia adores you, Emmeline, and Charlotte is beside herself with worry. It is in the interest of the family that you help the poor girl," Grand'mère commented. My mother sighed as a sign of giving up before turning down the street with the two of us in tow.

"Well then, how is she doing on money? Has Charlotte thought to stop paying the girl's bills?"

"That's just it!" Grand'mère stated. "She has no bills! It's the most incredible thing. She seems to be so busy around Paris, buying and meeting up with some of the nicest people of her age and yet she has no paper trail to show for it. Most of the time Charlotte can't even find the girl! She has to send her an owl on most occasions."

My mother chuckled, showing a brief smile.

"It must be a boy then," my mother mused. My grand'mère made an exasperated sound, going on to say she hopes it is not. My mother continued to chuckle before turning to me.

"If you can pull something like that off at 18, I won't ever harass you again, mon ange."

"Really?" I asked in surprise. My grand'mère scoffed in the background.

"Like Ava would ever do such a thing. She is too kind, aren't you ma belle?" I cracked a grin and my mother gave me a knowing look before I answered with an innocent "Oui, grand'mère!"

At the junction of the Boulevard Voltaire and Rue Richer we waited for Célia next to a large bronze statue of a man half submerged into a wall of stone. Grand'mère was just starting to complain about her legs aching when a loud, high pitch voice called out "Bonjour!" from across the street.

I turned in time to see a young witch, with 1920's style pixie cut bob and a black and gold sequence dress with simple black flats sprinting over to us.

This was Célia.

My Grand'mère had only enough time to curse before Célia ran into me with a hug followed by four kisses on the cheek.

"Mon Chou! Look at how much you've grown! You look darling!" She cupped her hands around my face as I laughed.

"You look pretty great yourself, Célia. I like the hair cut."

"And the dress," my mother added with smile, causing Célia to turn and kiss my mother four times in welcome.

"I'm so happy to see you Tante Emmeline! No one accepts my style in the family apart from vous les Américains!"

My grand'mère gave a tut tut sound but smiled all the same when Célia bent down to kiss her.

"How have you been feeling?" She asked, the old woman as they walked closer to the statue."

"Sore from standing here waiting for you is all! Where were you?"

Célia grinned shyly.

"Nothing worth mentioning. Now come! We have things to buy." She went up to the bronze statue first, grabbing one of its outstretched hands as she twirled into the stone, disappearing on to the other side.

My grand'mère swept her hand out in response, turning to the two us with a disapproving shake at Célia's extra movements before grabbing onto the statue's same bronze hand and gently rotating, towards the shoulder, where she walked through the wall.

My mother and I went in after her and appeared on the opposite end in a large Parisian square filled with shops and pubs and various small stalls along the way. French witches and wizards in various colors walked to and fro with baskets filled with items, the scent in the area reminded me vaguely of elderflower and gunpowder seen in fireworks.

But I had little time to focus on the square before Célia grasped my hand and dragged me along with my mother and grand'mère following behind.

"You have gotten so big, it makes me feel old, mon Chou!" I laughed again before nudging her side playfully.

"Stop calling me that. I know Mon Chou means my cabbage and I am no such thing."

"Aw, but I love cabbage! Would you rather I call you ChouChou instead? I think I like that better!"

"No, please no. That is only worse. Mamen! She's calling me a vegetable!"

"A very pretty looking vegetable, ChouChou!" Célia said with a giggle making my grand'mère roll her eyes.

As we walked, we stopped into various stores, like Monsieur Sanfin's Chaudrons shop, and K. Rammelle's Enchantée sweet shop for my ride to school. We passed by the Hotel De Ginestou, where Célia waved to a few passersby's that made Grand'mère curious.

Finally, we found a tailor's where I was measured for dance shoes from grand'mère, the school hat from Mamen and a swan pendant necklace from Célia.

"You don't need to buy this for me!" I said as she went to place it around my head.

"Of course I should! You have no jewelry! And this will go well with anything blue, not to mention the swan charm looks nice on you." I looked in the mirror and agreed with her. It was beautiful.

"Now help me pick out one for myself. I'm in between this ribbon choker and this opal pendant," Célia went on, showing me the two examples. Once again, my grand'mère started to bicker quietly to herself about how an 18 year old witch could afford such luxury, causing my cousin to grin at me wickedly.

By nightfall, we were back in grand'mère's home, eating a creamy chicken dish in her older dining room. Célia spent the time telling rapid stories about her days since graduation while my mother drank multiple glasses of wine. I spent half of the time laughing and the other half asking questions about my new school. By the end, I felt like I knew more about Beauxbatons than I did about Hogwarts.

When dishes were cleared and it was time for bed, I said goodnight to everyone. Cèlia gave me a final kiss on the cheek with a promise to see me tomorrow before I leave for school. With all the fun, I have had since arriving in Paris, the idea of leaving for school the next day did little to cross my mind.

Now as I walked toward my Tante's room, the thought loomed over my head of what was to come tomorrow. Was I going to make easy friends like I did at Hogwarts or was I going to have to put more work into being social?

I undressed and took a hot bath before returning to the room. My clothes had been nicely refolded into my suitcase with my new purchases included. Sitting beside my clothes stood an open box with Amélie's name written across the side. Since it was already open, I knew looking for a moment should do me little trouble.

Inside were clothes, ranging in various colors and fabrics. All roughly the same size as me.

"I wasn't sure if these clothes would fit you yet. She was 14 when she passed on," my grand'mère's voice spoke, making me turn to see her in the doorway, a soft expression on her otherwise quick features. In this light, I could see the same green eyes my mother had and felt a pang in their similarities.

She walked closer to me and pulled out a lavender colored summer dress and held it up to me.

"Your Tante had the same build as you. Less like your mother but still very feminine. Pixie-like. It's interesting how much you look like her too." She mused as she placed the dress to my shoulders, measuring the length it fit.

The news of my looks to Amélie took me by surprise. I had seen very few pictures of her and never with the idea that she looked like me at all. I wondered if my mother noticed the similarities as well.

"It has never felt right to throw these things away. I've kept almost everything from her room, leaving things as they are except for dusting and for your visits." I nodded knowingly as I turned toward the small vanity table near the window. A purple box with a silver string sat there, dusty and unopened. I didn't need to open it to know what the box held. It was her wand.

"Grand'mère looked in the direction of the forlorn wand and chuckled.

"Ah, yes. Rosewood, 12 and a half inches with dragon heart string. You used to play with that as a child."

"Until Mamen saw and yelled at me," I added, remembering the look of horror on her face when she saw me with it.

Grand'mère nodded, remembering the memory.

"I hoped your Mamen would keep that wand for one of you when you grew up. But she wanted nothing to do with it. Maybe one of your siblings can give it to their children. It would save some money from buying another wand." I chuckled at the idea of saving money.

"You should go to bed now if you want to lose the time shift better. I brewed you a sleeping drought if you would like to try it. Your mother had some before she went up to bed." I nodded and moved to the bed as grand'mère walked out of the room and reappeared moments later with a glass cup filled with swirling silver potion.

I drank the contents up and gave her back the glass before kissing her goodnight. While I worried my fears about tomorrow would keep me up, I was surprised to find that I fell asleep even before grand'mère left the room.

-

Hello There!

I had a lot of fun writing this chapter. Especially when it came to looking up information about JKR's world in France. There is not much yet on the matter, but I hope in future movies and books we will be able to explore that a bit more. I am no native speaker nor any kind of french speaker but I do love listening to people speak said language. Because of this however, I am guessing on a lot of what I am writing here. I have been reading articles about how life in the city is like and what people do over there to try and put some reality in there for the story but I understand if I have made some big mistakes. So if you are going to comment on that, rest assured I am aware that I am crossing into territory I know nothing about (lol).

Let me know what you think! Starting next chapter we will be in Beauxbatons! 

Lots of Love,

-WG-

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

25.2K 1K 15
𝐑𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝟏𝟏:𝟔 "𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐡𝐮𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐧, 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐭 𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡...
109K 2.7K 28
This is Genesis' 3rd year in schooling as a wizard. By request from Severus she has been moved to Beauxbatons a French accustomed wizarding school...
31.1K 919 37
Book 1: Ava Fountaine, the American beauty and only daughter of one of the top wizarding families in Northern America, expects to be the best at Ilv...
1.2K 28 21
Cora Malfoy has always hidden behind her family. Being sent to Beauxbatons for the first four years of her schooling, it was easy to pretend she didn...