Chapter 1: The Fourth of July

Belcourt Estates- July 4th

"Come on ladies we have ten minutes until the fireworks and wizzes begin and none of us want to miss it!" yelled Theo from the banister of Belcourt's entrance hall.

"Where are they?" Theo demanded, turning to his father and two brothers who waited along the wall beside him.

"What do you think?" Damion asked with enough snark to make Theo roll his eyes.

Up on the south-west wing, Ava sat on the day bed brushing her hair when her mother walked in, wearing as usual a remarkably elegant dress in scarlet red that draped over one shoulder. She wore giant pearls for earrings and had her hair dashed up in a low covered ponytail, that on some made seem like a founding father but on Emmeline, looked elegant and chic.

As for her daughter, Ava was half strapped into a white and blue striped tea length dress that reminded Ava of the 50's with a wide skirt and popped up sleeves.

Emmeline thought Ava looked elegant and sophisticated for her age. Ava thought she looked fat.

But the show had to go on, so after a snap from Emmeline to sit up straight, Ava was strapped into her dress and pushed out of her bedroom to join her brothers and father at the front door.

"Wow, doesn't your sister look pretty, boys?" Darious Fountaine said as he watched his wife and daughter walk down the stairs.

"She looks like the Finnish flag," Theo said.

"Why are you forcing us to compliment Ava? She's fine," Ed complained.

"Looking good, Ava!" Damion said last, giving a thumb up to his scarlet faced sister and beaming mother.

"Why can't you boys be more like Damion, hm?" Emmeline snapped as she flicked her youngest son on the ear making him flinch away chuckling. "Darious, is the car out front?"

"Of course, dear. Boys put the last boxes of pie in the car. We don't have time to wait on the elves."

Grumbling, the three boys went and lifted the remaining boxes in the entrance way while Darious linked arms with both his wife and daughter and escorted them out to the car.

Every year on the 4th of July, the Carmichael family would host a lavish fourth of July bash to celebrate the country's foundation. The matriarch of the family, Theresa, or Tessa as Mrs. Fountaine knew her as, took great pride in celebrating this American holiday since both her grandmother and mother have hosted these lavish parties in the past, creating a tradition for the Carmichael family.

As the Fountaine's car started to circle the Carmichael's estate, Ava could not help but understand why such a tradition exists.

Rosecliff, the extraordinary estate title of the Carmichael's house was a large structure of marble surrounded by roses of every variety. But this was not what drew Ava's attention. Situated in the middle of the circled driveway, encompassed a large fountain, the size of an ice skating rink.

Parking in front of said splendor, Ava rushed out to watch as streaks of red and blue water shot out of the fountain, creating a magical ark of water droplets shaped like bald eagles flying before they condensed back into water and fell back into the patriotic colored waters below.

"Look at the fountain later, Ava. We need to thank our hosts," Ed called from behind, making his sister run off to join him and her family down the pathway that was a light from the glow of various pixies kept in silver cages.

When Ava stepped foot into the main entrance hall of Rosecliff, she was met with the vastness that was the estate. A large circled staircase made of crimson marble stood at the side, lingering with guests of the upper class of Newport wizardry. A large chandelier made of wrought iron and magically induced crystal spun in circles slowly above the family as they continued to take note and judge all the guests they were supposed to mingle with.