breaking the silence

By setmyhartonfriar

"What are you gonna do now?" He asked, his tone gentle. "Nothing." Maya shook her head. "They're perfect for... More

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
not an update!
new book!

sixteen

1.5K 49 32
By setmyhartonfriar

The night had only begun, but Maya could confidently say that it was one of her worst ones ever. She and Missy were standing by the ticket lineup, waiting for Lucas and Rebecca to choose a movie.

"You didn't tell me that he was her date."

"What's the big deal?" Missy furrowed her brows. "Aren't you guys like, best friends?"

"Well yeah, but–" Maya shook her head, pursing her lips. "Nevermind." She continued staring at the couple. They were both laughing, Rebecca shoving him playfully. Probably about some stupid corny joke Lucas had made. Maya felt a familiar pang in her chest at the scene in front of her and she gritted her teeth, glancing away to look at the movie posters instead.

What was taking them so long anyway?

"Here, can you hold this?" Missy held out the bag of popcorn, her thumb moving rapidly across the screen of her phone.

Maya took her hands out of her pockets to grasp the bag, digging her hand into the warm snack.

"We got the tickets!" Rebecca flashed an enthusiastic smile, giving each of them their ticket stubs.

Maya glanced down at the large bolded letters. It was a romance film. She refrained from rolling her eyes. "Great," she said, her voice muffled.

Missy grimaced in slight disgust and shot her a look of disapproval for speaking with a full mouth. The group headed towards the theatres. Maya walked behind Missy, while the two lovebirds after her spoke in low and hushed tones, Rebecca giggling occasionally. As they were nearing the door, seeing that Maya's hands were occupied, Lucas kept it from closing and held it open for her.

"After you."

Maya rolled her eyes at him and followed her girlfriend into the darkened room. They found their seats in the middle rows and Maya slowly came to the realization that shit - she was going to have to sit next to Lucas for two whole hours.

What kind of a romance movie was that long anyway? Maya groaned. "Missy, switch seats with me."

Missy had already settled comfortably in her seat, placing her drink of sparkling water in the cup holder. "What, why? Just sit, there are people behind you."

"Ugh, fine." Maya plopped down onto her seat with a huff. Her face scrunched into a pout, her cheeks lightly pressing against the 3D glasses. She ate her popcorn and absentmindedly watched the advertisements.

Maya never thought that Rebecca Wiebe would be exactly Lucas' type. Although she did have that bubbly brunette thing going on, which was what he seemed to like in girls. But her peppy behaviour was a total fraud, Maya could see right through it. Nobody acted like that. Except for Riley. In school, Rebecca was known for stabbing people in the back while smiling in their faces.

Even Missy had had problems with her in the past. Maya failed to understand why she had even stayed friends with her.

And now Lucas was dating her.

Maya kept her eyes on the big screen and tried to block out the heavy flirtation going on next to her. It made her want to gag.

The bag was already halfway empty just as the movie was starting. This was the perfect time to fall asleep...

.

.

.

A loud crash had startled Maya out of her slumber and she flinched in her seat, blinking a couple times to adjust to the brightness of the screen. Her eyes were sore and she could only open them halfway.

"Hey..." Maya hissed, leaning to her right. "How far are we?"

"About forty-five minutes in," whispered back Lucas.

"Okay..." Maya mumbled. She let her eyes slide shut again.

"Also..." Lucas whispered close to her ear, his arm against hers. "You really should keep down your snores, people are trying to watch a movie here."

Maya's cheeks burned with a flush. "Sh - Shut up."

After several minutes of tossing and turning in that cramped theatre seat, Maya admitted defeat and stayed awake.

The actor playing the main guy was quite attractive. She remembered him from a TV series she and Lucas used to watch when they hung out at each other's places. Of course, that was a long time ago and they didn't do that anymore.

Other than that, the movie was incredibly unbearable to watch. It was the same generic plot she saw in other romance films that Riley had basically forced her to see.

Everything would be so much easier if the two main characters just got their heads out of their asses and finally professed their obvious sexual attraction towards each other.

Then Maya wouldn't have to watch this stupid movie. Maya would rather lick a dirty toilet seat than watch this movie. Technically, she did have that option if she just exited the theatre and went to the public washroom. But Maya wanted to avoid Missy being pissed with her later on for ditching her. Maya did not have the energy to deal with an upset girlfriend.

Maya yawned, covering her mouth. Her hand dropped on the armrest and she felt her pinky brush against something.

Lucas' hand.

Maya froze. She should move her hand. She definitely needed to move her hand. But she couldn't, she was paralyzed. Her heartbeat picked up when she felt him reach back, his last two fingers lying on top of hers.

He was warm, the air conditioned room amplifying that fact. Her hands were cold and she wanted to be warm. Maya shifted her hand closer so his fingers were completely overlapping hers.

They didn't move for a very long time. Just stayed like that, with his hand hovering over hers. Maya had several opportunities to move away and act like nothing happened, but she wanted to stay. She had always liked holding his hand, the very few times it had happened.

Then Lucas slid his hand further and slowly intertwined their fingers, his calloused thumb caressing the back of her hand.

Maya's heart was exploding in her chest.

The moment was shortlived as Missy slipped out of her seat. "I gotta go to the washroom," she whispered.

Maya and Lucas both tore their hands apart, letting Missy pass through the narrow path. The entire situation felt like something Maya had just dreamt. She wanted it to be a dream, but at the same time she didn't.

.

.

.

After another agonizing hour, Maya emerged from the theatre victorious. She was thrilled to finally be able to go home.

"So, do you guys wanna grab a bite? I know this really nice restaurant nearby." Missy suggested. The group was outside of the cinema now, standing under the illuminated sign.

Maya mentally groaned. Just as she thought the night was officially over.

"Uh, actually, I'm getting pretty tired." Rebecca glanced at Lucas next to her, whom was staring at Maya, whom was staring at the ground. "Lucas, what do you say? Let's head back?"

"W - What?" Lucas stammered, snapping out of his mini trance. "Oh, sure. Yeah."

Rebecca subtly threw a suggestive wink at Missy that Maya had caught. "Okay. Good night guys!"

As they were turning away, Maya heard Rebecca say something to Lucas about her parents not being home. Maya frowned. Lucas was not the type to hook up with someone on the first date. Right?

But even if he was, who was she to care?

The walk home was nearly silent. Maya didn't think much of it. Most of the time, it was quiet between her and Missy. They hardly talked. At least not about the important stuff that really mattered to them. And that was fine by Maya. She wasn't looking for anything serious.

Maya didn't think she was even ready for anything serious. So she liked being with Missy. It was easy and laidback.

But inevitably, Maya got bored of the silence and attempted to start up a conversation.

"So... Rebecca and Lucas." Maya chuckled. "Wonder how that happened."

Missy shrugged. "She asked him out during lunch and he agreed. I believe that was all."

Maya nodded, staring at her shoes. "You think they're going to have a second date?"

"Why do you care so much?" Missy asked. There was a certain aggressive tone in her voice, but Maya might have imagined it.

"What? I - I don't." Maya glanced at her at the side of her eye. "Anyway, do you have any plans this weekend?"

"Visiting my grandparents in Rhode Island."

Maya nodded once again. "Cool." She didn't know what else to say. Was it always this hard to maintain a conversation with Missy?

Eventually, they reached the point where they had to separate ways. Maya smiled, leaning in for a kiss. Missy inched away from her, blocking her face with her hand and effectively tucking her hair behind her ear.

"What's wrong?" Maya drew her brows together.

Missy sighed, slowly meeting her gaze. "I don't want to be with a person who is clearly in love with someone else."

"What? But I'm - I'm not..."

"Don't even try to deny it, Maya." Missy shook her head. She ran a hand over her face. "I tried to ignore it, but I see it. I've always seen it."

"Missy, what the hell are you talking about?"

"I've seen the way you are with Lucas. There's something there."

"We're friends. That's all."

"Bullshit. God, Maya, you wear that necklace everyday. I saw you guys holding hands! I'm not stupid."

Maya's mouth clamped shut. She averted her gaze.

"Look, I'm not mad about it, okay?" Missy sighed. "Just... stop lying to yourself for once. If you want Lucas, go get him."

And that was the last thing Missy said to Maya before she left her on that sidewalk.

.

.

.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1K 173 22
A few years after highschool, the group has long gone their separate ways. Riley takes on the task of reuniting them. With the unsuspecting return o...
48.1K 1.2K 20
Maya has a secret. A secret that could change her relationship with her best friend forever. ( They're 16/17 in this) All Rights Reserved © 2015 vic...
1.6K 59 9
Childhood au where Maya can't catch a break and Lucas just wants the world for his best friend. Trigger warnings: mentions of suicide/death, suicida...
10.8K 274 42
Its Junior year for the four friends. Over the summer Lucas was away visting his family in Texas. During the summer Riley and Maya got into a huge fi...