Life in Color ✔️

By Honey_Money_

Book 1 in the "Life in-" series Scarlett Rain Rhodes is just like every other 17 year old high school Junior... More

Master Reading List
Hello Readers
1~ Struggle Bussin'
2~ Sweetheart
3~My Stalker
4~ Water Break
5~Headache
6~Say Cheese
7~ Cheesecake
8~ Oblivious
9~ Lazy Day
10~ The Breakup
11~ Bro Code
12~ Adrenaline Rush
13~ Alien
14~ Cutie
15~Chicken
16~ Kool Aid
17~ Walmart
18~ Wet
19~ Disappointment
20~ Thirteen
21~ Puzzle
22~ Snowball
23~Ho Ho Ho
24~ Christmas
25~ Fake Snow
26~ Pretzels
27~ Hell
28~ Ashton
29~ Great
30~ I'm Sorry
31~Doomsday
32~ Change
33~ Coffee
34~ Charming
35~ Valentines
36~ Ticklish
37~ Hickey
38~ Out
39~ Decisions
40~ Tired
41~ People
42~ Chaos
43~Jealous
44~ One Week
45~ Bennett
46~ Play Ball
47~ Birthday
48~Sugar
49~ Satisfactory
50~ Fear
51~ Help
52~ Potential
53~ Stubborn
54~ Angels
55~ Dork
56~ Future
57~ Gentle
58~ Mine
59~ No Idea
60~ Colorful
Epilouge~ Ashlett
Sequals & Spinoffs
Bonus~ Surprise
Bonus ~ Wish

Bonus~ One Year

120K 4.2K 2.5K
By Honey_Money_

"That tickles."

I yawn as a finger traces along my spine, goosebumps forming in its path.

"Then you should wake up."

Sighing, I burry my head in his chest, desperate for a few more minutes of sleep before we get ready for school. "Can't we just skip today?"

It's only Tuesday and I'm already done with the week.

Kisses are pressed along my neck. "Sweetheart, you know we have to go. Besides, I can't afford to miss our test today."

There's a game Friday, "How could I forget, the quarterback needs to set an example."

One second I'm resting in bed and the next I'm in the air, "Your sass isn't appreciated, especially after I put in the effort to surprise you."

Ashton didn't spend the night, he simply showed up at 5:30 with coffee and doughnuts. While my siblings will appreciate it, I'm more focused on sleep.

Yawning, I kiss him quickly. "And I'm forever grateful."

"Good, now go shower." He orders, slapping my butt.

I gasp, attempting to shove him back onto the bed but he grabs my arm, pulling me into his chest. It's too early for me to play nice.

"Please, for the love of God, just get ready! I'm trying to get dressed in peace!" Silver yells up from his room, hitting his ceilling.

Coughing, I try to think of something to say but Ashton beats me to it. Grinning down at me, he stomps his foot. "I bought you three Boston cream doughnuts, you don't get to complain!"

Of course he did, he thinks of everything before hand. With one last kiss, I run to get ready.

Shoving my contacts in my eyes, Ashton sticks his head into the room. "Avery just texted, she said dinner after practice. Dress cute."

Momentarily distracted, I miss my eye. Letting out a swear, I try to save the contact. "Do you just want to pick my clothes out?"

Damn it.

I was really aiming for a leggings and big shirt kind of day. He leaves without another word, I walk out to find clothes already on my bed. "You just had to pick out my underwear too?"

With a cheeky grin, he shrugs, "I had to have something to occupy my mind today."

Rolling my eyes, I flip him off. Going to put my pants on, I completely miss the hole, falling to the ground. Something tells me today's gonna be a struggle.

*****

An hour later I'm struggling to open my locker, well Ashton's and my locker. The school gave me a bottom and claimed they didn't have any extra. It wouldn't have been an issue if it wasn't right next to the leaky water fountain. After getting drenched on my first day of senior year, I decided it was time to move.

Ashton tried to simply switch with me at first but he's too tall for a bottom locker. So after two days of protesting he moved my things into his while I was taking a test. He claims it's no big deal, considering he won't be here next semester anyway. A fact I seem to be reminded of more and more everyday.

I'll take the extra time with him while I can.

"Wow, I told you to dress cute but this look is hot, hot, hot." Avery offers as hello, opening her own neighboring locker.

Handing her my coffee, I use both hands to yank the door open, an econ textbook falling on my foot. "Jesus Christ!" Bending over to pick up the textbook I hit my head on the locker door. "Alright, I'm a solid three seconds away from fighting you."

"Who are you fighting?" Gabe asks, sneaking a sip of my coffee before Avery can shove him off.

"You, if you don't take your lips off my straw." He backs away and I make a sad face. "Gabriel, my locker is bullying me again. Do what you used to do and stick up for me."

He laughs, "I don't know, Letty, you've got a new school yard hero in your life. I'd hate to out shine him."

Pouting my lips, I hug him, "You're still my number one if you tear the door off this locker right now."

"Anything for you, but I draw the line at destruction of property." He offers, patting my head.

Punching his side I take my coffee back, "Loser."

"Hot momma!" Stella shouts as she and James join us, loud enough for the entire hall to look our way.

Before I can even get embarrassed Sage, Ella, and Zev walk up. Ella giving me an appreciative once over, "You look pretty."

Rolling my eyes, I start to get my things. A girl puts on dark green bell bottoms and a white sweater and the whole world will end. I may have let myself go but not that much. Not going to lie though, the sweater took me by surprise, it's the same one I wore on Ashton's visit to Alabama. "Thanks, Ash picked it out."

Ella turns to my brother, "Why can't you pick out cute clothes?"

Stopping mid bite of a strawberry sprinkled doughnut, he blinks. "Babe, all you have to do is ask."

She scans his starfish embroidered button up before bursting with laughter, "On second thought, I'm okay."

"Bro, you're making me look like a bad boyfriend." Sage protests as Ashton walks over to us.

"I second that." James adds, although we all know Stella wouldn't let him touch her clothing.

"Easy solution." Zev offers.

"Don't be in a relationship." Gabe finishes, the duo high giving while Avery nods her head in agreement.

Nodding my head, I pretend to not know about Gabe and Avery's Wednesday morning breakfasts.

Ashton sighs, pulling my back into his chest. "Sorry, boys, it's hard to live up to the best."

Oh, the arrogance. I flick his nose as the bell rings before wandering into my favorite class of the day, literature. "Good morning, Miss Miller." I call, awkwardly trying to maneuver to my seat with Ashton still latched onto me.

"Or should we say, future Mrs. Garcia?" Ashton clarifies, nodding to the rock on a certain finger. It's still crazy to think that Uncle John proposed not even a week ago. He took us all to New York for fall break and she was blindsided.

"Good morning, favorite students." She says, plugging her computer in.

"Aunt Mel, you're really gonna do me dirty like that?" Gabe protests as he plops into the seat in front of me.

"We've been over this, my name is Miss Miller," She reprimands firmly before smiling, "or future Mrs. Garcia, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8am and 3pm."

"Cool, I'm still your favorite though." Gabe says as class gets started.

*****

"Scar!" Saffron cries, barreling towards me.

"Squirt, shouldn't you be in line?" I ask, pointing towards her teacher.

Ronnie joins us a few seconds later, tying her karate belt tighter. "We're on next, Dasher told me he's scared."

Saying a silent prayer as the girls giggle, I glance over at the little boy who more than willingly volunteered to be their dummy for the talent show. Saffron said it was his way of making up for the fact he's moving next month. A fact she assured me she wasn't sad about but I saw a few tears shed when she thought no one was watching. Second grade love, it might be deadly, but it's still sweet.

At least we'll both be lonely next semester.

Making my way back to my seat, Sage pokes my shoulder. "I give it three minutes before Ronnie kicks him in the no-no zone."

"Please," Sterling snorts. "it will be at the end of the act."

"And it will be on purpose." Silver finishes, the duo high-fiving.

"It will be Saffron, and it will be so hard the boy sings soprano for a week." I counter, knowing my sister won't disappoint. Hopefully his mother fully protected him.

Ashton shakes his head, "You see, you're all wrong because it's going to be both girls at the same time, at the end as the grand finale."

I shudder as they take the stage, preparing myself for this to end in the Deans office. Thirty minutes later, after making sure Dasher Williams wasn't permanently injured, I collect money from all the boys.

What can I say, when you ask the girl for her plan before hand, it's hard to lose.

"Alright, ladies and gents, now it's time to return to the real world." Ashton says, ruffling the twins hair.

"Ash, I'm really gonna miss you." Sterling says out of the blue.

The words hit me like a punch to the gut. Why would he say something like that now?

"Sterlz, I'm gonna miss you too kid." Ashton assures him, a soft smile on his face. We lock eyes and I look away, I can't handle thinking about that yet.

"Hey, Scar?" Sterling calls, pulling me out of my self pity. "I know you're busy tonight so I'm going to ask you now." I wait, noticing a dirt spec on his glasses. "I got asked to go on a date."

Sage and I share a surprised look, "Oh, really?"

He blushes, "Yeah, her name's Molly. Sam and Conner both have dates to, it's sorta a group thing."

"That's fine, what's your concern?" I know he simply isn't asking for permission. He knows Sage has to take him and that we have to know what he's doing.

"I'm going too." Silver says, focusing on the ground.

Oh, Silvers never been on a date. I can't help but smile, "That's okay, what's his name?"

They both look around, covering my mouth. "No, I would only be going as a filler."

"Explain." I demand, trying to untaste teenage boy sweat.

"Molly can only go if her cousin goes and since the other guys are already claimed, Silver is the only option. I promise, I've tried to get him out of it," Sterling explains.

"What about Elliott?" Sage says, Zev's brother loves going on dates.

"His grandparents are in town, there's no one else." He protests.

Grabbing Silvers shoulders, I stare directly into his eyes. "Silver Sea, I need you to be honest." He gulps but nods his head. "Are you willing to go on a date with a girl? Does that make you uncomfortable in any way, shape, or form? Because I will hunt down a replacement for you or call and talk to Molly's mom so you don't have to put yourself through it."

He looks at me for a long moment before hugging me tightly. "Thank you for saying that." I wrap my arms around him, taking the opportunity to fix his messy hair.

"Always, Silv, you come first." I whisper.

"I'm okay with it. It's more a group hang out then anything else and I don't want to miss out on whatever stupid things happen. Besides, I can't leave my twin hanging." He shoves Sterling, who looks a little insulted he just downplayed the date.

"Imagine the video we could make." Sterling muses as they head back to class. I swear, YouTube is the only thing they think about. If I'm being honest, three hundred thousand subscribers and counting isn't always enough to keep me from going insane.

Walking back to the high school, enjoying the crisp air, Ashton pulls me into a hidden indent in the building. "We still have ten minutes till lunch is over."

"And your point is?" I've got a pb&j with my name on it. Saffron insisted on making food today, hopefully I don't die.

Reaching into his backpack he pulls out a container, "My point is, I have chocolate covered strawberries." My stomach growls as I snatch the container from his hands. "And it's time for my picture of the day."

Too focused on my food, I don't even protest as he takes his phone out. Starting on the first day of school, Ashtons snapped a picture of me everyday. He claimed he needed to step up his instagram boyfriend game after I hit 20 thousand followers, I think he just likes to have pictures of me.

Forcing myself to stop for a smile I count to five before going back to eating. "What did I do to deserve this?"

"Do you know what today is, Sweetheart?" He asks.

Taking a moment to think, I shrug. "It's Tuesday, October 28th, is that important."

Shaking his head, he smirks. "Nope, I don't need a reason to give you things."

After six, glorious strawberries I'm saddened to find no more. Dumping the container upside down, I frown. "They're gone."

Ashton laughs, still taking pictures of me and I'm reminded of something else. "I didn't share."

It's not my fault, somethings are too good to give up.

Walking over, he wraps an arm around my waist, "Don't worry, there's some chocolate right here." He kisses me and I grin against his lips.

Clever, clever boy.

*****

Waiting by Avery's car I'm beginning to lose patience. Cheer practice ran over an hour late due to a freshman field trip. Meaning I didn't see any of the guys before they left and I'm getting hangry.

Avery struts out of the locker room, dressed in leggings and a big shirt, and in this moment I think I could kill her. "You said, dress cute, I'm dressed cute and you look like a slob."

My jeans, while very stylish, are no match to the comfort of leggings. "Sorry, cuz."

Cracking my knuckles, I reach for the door. "Can we please go eat before I get pneumonia." Because unlike Avery, I rinsed off in the shower so I wouldn't smell.

"You're not riding with me." She explains casually.

"What do you mean? There's no one else here and I'm cold and tired." I grit out, trying not to snap.

At this point I just want my bed, and Ashton but he's going out to eat with his family. I missed lasagna night. I missed seeing the boys before their date. Now is not the time to try me.

"Oh, I think you'll find a ride. Isn't that right, lover boy?" She hollers and on command, an all too familiar truck appears behind me.

Turning around, I throw my bag in the back before walking towards the other door. Ashton hops out, beating me to the handle. "Sweetheart," it's a beautiful evening for an adventure, don't you think?"

Taking his hand I can't help but be impressed by his button up as I climb into the seat. "Charming, what are you doing?"

Pulling the scarf I had tied around my topknot out, he shrugs, "Blindfolding you."

The entire drive I try to guess where we're going, the anticipation killing me. He gives me nothing, only holding my hand so I'm left in the dark. After what feels like an eternity the truck stops. "Can I take it off now?"

Opening my door he helps me out, keeping a hold of my hands. Guiding me inside I just want to tear thing thing off my face but eventually we stop. "Three. Two. One."

Blinking my eyes I'm surprised to learn we're in Gabe's cabin, where all of the parties are held, but it looks nothing like it. For once, it's clean. Secondly, there's a fire in the fireplace, a projector set up against the wall and a fort of pillows and fairy lights. "What's this?"

"A picnic, and a movie, and a sleepover." He offers, leading me to the pile of blankets in the floor.

"Why?" I ask, my voice cracking slightly. This isn't real, this is the stuff you see on VSCO and favor because it's too cute to happen.

"Because it's our one year anniversary!" He says, kissing my forehead.

Blinking back tears, I flick his nose, "You dummy, you asked me out in March." I would know, I was there.

Rolling his eyes, he pecks my nose. "Yes, but this day last year, you ran into me in the office and that kickstarted our entire relationship."

He actually remembered. It never even occurred to me to think about that this week but I guess he's right. One whole year with Ashton McClain in my life, what a whirlwind it's been. "I'm sorry I didn't remember."

"Don't be, this day is literally engraved in the back of my mind." He explains thoughtfully.

"How come?" I tease to lighten the mood.

"Because it's the day my life forever changed. In the midst of my darkness I found a light and it's been guiding my path ever since." He whispers, his breath fanning my face.

His thumb traces my cheek and I lean into the touch, "I don't deserve you."

"That's where you're wrong, you deserve so much more than me yet you still stick around." He argues, drying my tears. My stomach growls, interrupting the moment. "I have Chinese food."

Letting out a laugh, I follow, in complete awe of the boy in front of me.

*****

Hours later, we find ourselves slow dancing to a Thomas Rhett song, our nice clothes exchanged for sweats.

"I've never understood how true this song was." Ashton muses.

Pulling my head off his chest, I frown, "What do you mean?"

"I could die this very second and I would be eternally happy because I have you in my arms." He says seriously.

"Ashton, please don't talk like that." I argue, hating the anxiety the creeps into my mind at the thought.

"Don't worry, Sweetheart, you're stuck with me for the long haul. But I'm serious, you're all I need in life." He assures me, worry lining his forehead as I begin to cry. "Scarlett, what's wrong?"

Trying to stop myself, a sob escapes. Now is not the time for this conversation. "You say that now but we've never been apart. That's going to change in two months when... when you're gone."

College is happening and for Ashton it's right around the corner. This summer was a small taste of what it would feel like but it also proved we could be close and never see each other. We haven't spoken about it, won't speak about it, and that's partly my fault, but we need to.

Cupping my face, he forces me to look at him. "Scarlett Rain, loving you is a choice. I choose to wake up thinking abut you and I choose to spend every second of every day loving you. It doesn't matter where I am or what happens, I will always choose you."

My heart sings at his words.

"It's going to be scary but we won't fall apart, if anything we'll be stronger because I'll spend even more time simply thinking about you. This is my foundation, you are my foundation. I'm only as strong as the faith you have in me. Understand?"

Nodding my head, I try to collect myself.

"We will work out whatever fears you have, because I have them too. But please, don't leave me." He begs softly, tracing my jaw line.

"Never." Not in a million years would I leave. "I'm all in, every step of the way."

Even if it scares the crap out of me, I don't care.

Kissing me till I can't breath, Ashton rests his forehead against mine. "I love you so much it hurts but I wouldn't trade this feeling for anything else in the world."

"I love you more." I dry my eyes between sniffles, my heart glowing within my chest. "Did you only say that to get in my pants?"

A wicked grin spreads across his face. "I picked out your underwear for a reason."

Playing with the hair at the nape of his neck, I kiss him. "What if I told you I wasn't wearing any, would that be a disappointment?"

He stills, running his hands along my butt. Wrapping my legs around his waist he shakes his head. "Sweetheart, you always know how to motivate me."

*****

Laying under a pile of blankets, listening to insects chirp outside with my head on Ashton's chest I can't help but appreciate how much growth I've had in a year.

I'm happy.

"Hey, Ash?" He hums, playing with a curl, "Thanks for running into me."

He chuckles, "We ran into each other." What a lie. "But, I wouldn't trade that collision for the world."

Tracing the lines along the palm of his hand, I sigh. "We're going to be okay."

It's not a question, deep down I know we will be.

"We're going to be perfect." He assures me, pulling the blanket up.

Finally falling asleep, I can't help but smile. Some people spend their entire life looking for their person, but I found mine at 17.

*****

Who caught the Life in Search reference?

Also, HEY YOU, go read Life in Search if you haven't already!!! If it continues to get more readers and more votes I'll update the next bonus chapter here early!!

I love this chapter not gonna lie! And I've decided a new game is to describe the posts Ash and Scar make in this section.

Scar: picture one is Ash kissing her after finishing the strawberries. Picture two is her giddy while eating the strawberries.
Caption: Ways to my heart: Be Ashton McClain. Give me chocolate covered strawberries.

Ash: a series of scar eating them until the containers empty that finishes with him kissing her.
Caption: what a snack

I'm a loser but it made me laugh. Now go read Life in Search if you haven't, pretty please!!!

Xo-Mo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.4K 4.3K 70
Life is hard. Specially when you're a high schooler. You can never know when your life is about to go up. And you 'especially' can never know when it...
126K 2.6K 38
Lila Daniels has spent all of her life living under the protective wings of her three older brothers, Charlie, Lucas and Tucker or in the gymnastics...
3.2M 80.4K 59
She looks up at me, taking a step forward and smiling slightly, "How can I ever get hurt when I have you here to protect me?" "But you could have got...
3.2M 133K 64
Office rivals fight for the same promotion, while resisting their attraction for each other. LAYLA masks her insecurities behind perfectionism. The g...