Who's Your Boss? (Original Ve...

By CrystalW99

Working for Reed Drummond, as his personal assistant, is no walk in the park for Winifred Monroe. The man is... More

Copyright
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue
Available in eBook & paperback

Chapter 12

178K 4.1K 335
By CrystalW99

 Thank you all for your support. I hope you enjoy the new chapter :)

(Reed)

I was staring out the window deep in thought when I heard Winnie let out a whimper. Turning my head, I saw her eyes were moving rapidly beneath the lids. She was having a nightmare. I raised the armrest that separated us and moved closer to her. Before I could comfort her, she jerked awake. Concerned I asked her if she was okay.

"I'm fine." She smiled at me. "It was just a dream. Are we close?"

I checked my watch. "We'll be there in about twenty minutes." I wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her to me. "That gives us just enough time to get in some cuddling and kissing."

"Does it now?" Winnie kissed me on the mouth and then laid her head on my shoulder. "I'm afraid that right now I need more cuddling than I do kissing."

"Did the dream bother you?" I asked, holding her tighter.

"A little." She sighed softly. "I dreamed Mark escaped from prison and came after us. He killed your parents. He was trying to kill you when thankfully I woke up. I don't know why I dreamed something like that." She raised her head and looked at me. "But if he ever did escape from prison promise me you'll get out of town."

"Only if I can take you with me," I muttered.

"Deal," she agreed. "How-how did Mark murder those two people?"

"He used them for target practice," I answered coldly. "He broke into their home in the middle of the night to rob them. The man tried to hit Mark with a baseball bat. Mark took out a gun and shot him. He then went into the bedroom and killed the pregnant wife." I felt Winnie tremble. "The man was shot five times and the wife four. When I found out I wasn't surprised. I always knew my brother was capable of something like that."

"Those poor people," she whispered. "I can't imagine what was going through the woman's mind when she heard her husband being shot to death. Then the realization that she and her baby were next and there was nothing she could to stop it. It had to have been the most horrific feeling." She shuddered. "I hope your brother burns in hell for what he's done."

"He will." I kissed her forehead. "Someday he'll get exactly what he has coming to him."

"Well I can promise you one thing." She lowered her head to my shoulder. "I'll never step foot in that prison again."

"Good because I don't like you going to see him." I rubbed her back. "Carter and Faith don't know about the murders and Mark being in prison. I told them he got a job in London. My family and you are the only ones that know the truth. I would like to keep it that way if-"

"My lips are sealed," Winnie promised. "You should know that I would never tell anyone anything we talk about. Our conversations are private."

"Thank you." I squeezed her gently. "I knew I could count on you."

"Always, Reed."

Carter's driver picked us up at the airport and drove us to the house. By the time we pulled into the driveway the sun had set. While the driver unloaded our bags from the trunk Winnie and I made our way to the door. As we drew near a security light came on and the door opened.

"It's about time you two got here," Carter said. "Faith was growing impatient."

"We would've been here sooner, but we had to stop at a gas station so Winnie could pee," I informed him. "I don't know why she didn't use the bathroom on the plane."

"I didn't have to go then," she said.

I rolled my eyes and glanced at Carter. He was trying, and failing, not to grin. Like me, he was tall and broad shouldered. His hair was a dark brown and his eyes were hazel. "Where's your better half?" I asked as we shook hands and clapped each other on the back.

"She's in the family room," he responded. "It takes a lot for her to get up and down so I told her to stay sitting."

"Poor thing," Winnie said. "Our being here won't wear her out, will it?"

"No." Carter gave her a hug. "She'll be fine. Come into the family room. Everyone is waiting to see you both."

I left the door open for the driver to bring our bags in and followed Carter and Winnie to the family room. The moment Jack saw Winnie, he jumped up from the couch and threw himself at her. She laughed softly and wrapped him in a hug. I gazed at my godson and couldn't help but notice he was looking more and more like Carter everyday. Once Winnie released him, I grabbed him in a bear hug.

"Uncle Reed," he whined. "I can't breathe."

"Sorry." Releasing him, I stuck my hand into my pocket and came out with a folded twenty-dollar bill. I made sure no one was looking and slipped it into his hand with a wink.

"Thank you," he muttered, stuffing the money in his pajama pocket.

"No problem." I turned my attention to Faith, who was sitting on the couch talking with Winnie. Her belly was huge yet she had a glow about her that came with being pregnant. She was beautiful. I crossed to her, bent down, and kissed her on the head. "Hey, mama," I mumbled. "How are you feeling?"

"Tired," she sighed. "It's been a long-" She snatched my hand and pressed it to her belly. "Do you feel that? That little thump."

"I do." In awe I reached for Winnie's hand, wanting to share the experience with her, and pressed it low on Faith's belly. A smile lit up her face. "Amazing, isn't it?"

"Yes," she uttered softly.

"Feeling the baby move never gets old," Carter said.

"I wish she wouldn't do it when I'm trying to go to sleep," Faith said dryly.

"She's just letting you know she's the one calling the shots." I squeezed Winnie's hand gently and let it go. "Where's Richard?"

"Dad had to fly to Florida this morning." Carter sat down in the recliner. "An old friend had to undergo emergency surgery and he wanted to be there. He hated that he couldn't be here to see Winifred."

I smirked. Everybody knew that Richard was fond of Winnie. I settled beside her on the couch. "It's a shame he couldn't be here."

"Jack," Faith said. "It's bed time, sweetie."

"Aww, Mom," he groaned. "Uncle Reed and Winifred just got here."

"And they will be here all weekend," she told him firmly. "You're getting up at the crack of dawn to go fishing with your dad and Uncle Reed. You need your rest. Now say goodnight."

"I'll come tuck you in," Winnie volunteered, rising from the couch.

"Okay." Jack said goodnight to us and headed upstairs with Winnie in tow.

A twinge of jealousy shot through me. I wouldn't mind having her tuck me into bed. Maybe with a few heated kisses thrown in for good measure. I quickly changed my train of thought. "I understand I'm going fishing tomorrow. I remember going fishing the last time I was here. Everybody caught a fish but me. I seem to recall catching an old shoe."

Carter snickered. "Maybe you'll get lucky and find the other shoe."

"Ha, ha, very funny." I glared at him. "Smart ass. I'm going to catch a fish this time. I don't care if we have to stay there for days. I won't leave until I get something."

"I guess I won't be seeing you for quite a while, sweetheart," Carter said to Faith.

"I hope you make it back before the baby's born," she muttered.

"You two are not funny."

"We'll behave . . . for now." Faith cleared her throat. "So how are you and Winifred doing?"

"We're doing well." I glanced from her to Carter and then back to her. "You'll be pleased to know that we're officially a couple."

"That's wonderful news," she said, smiling. "I always knew you two were meant to be together."

"I'm happy for you, man." Carter sighed heavily. "Of course that means I owe Faith fifty dollars."

I arched an eyebrow at him. "You two made a bet."

"If you and Winifred got together I had to give Faith fifty dollars." He shook his head and sighed again. "If you two didn't get together then she owed me fifty dollars. I should've known not to make bets with her. She wins every time."

"You can pay me later, dear," she stated, sounding smug.

"You two are too much." I got to my feet. "I'm going to the bathroom. Try not to make any bets while I'm gone."

"We'll try to be good," Carter said. "Can't make any promises though."

Rolling my eyes, I left the family room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.7M 879K 55
I glared up at him my eyes narrowed, "Excuse me?" I was beyond livid by the words that just came out of his mouth. My glare didn't falter when Parker...
2.9K 100 45
Amelia Robert a 22 year old with low-income. She finds a job company. She doesn't have family and little to no friends. She gets a call to a company...
291K 17.5K 30
"Sir. I've done my job. Is there anything else?" I smiled cockily. "I specifically asked for a male driver, you're obviously a woman. I should get a...
34.9M 1.3M 77
COMPLETED. "Look, if you're-" "Shut up." I was taken back at the sudden manner in which he spoke to me. "Let's get something straight Miss Greene, I...