Love in the Nick of Time

By Tranay21

Regina Washington has always been Ms. Independent, she practically wrote the song. Now living her dream as a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23 (Part 1)
Chapter 23 (Part 2)
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue

Chapter 26

2K 119 2
By Tranay21

Regina woke up with a stretch; she smiled at the aroma of breakfast in the air. Slowly sitting up she rubbed her stomach as the baby moved around. It was still a sensation she wasn't used to, but it made her even more aware of the life growing inside her. She slowly made her way downstairs and into the kitchen where Christian was busy reading something on his phone.

"Good morning...well afternoon," she said realizing that it was after twelve o'clock.

"Hi baby," Christian mumbled preoccupied with what he was reading.

"What are you reading?"

"Nothing," he said as he kissed her lips as he shoved his phone into his pocket.

"What's for breakfast?"

"The doctor said you need more red meat in your diet so steak, potatoes and eggs."

"Skip the eggs just the thought of eggs is making me nauseous."

"But you were eating eggs fine last week," he said.

"I know but this week they make me want to barf, take it up with Mariah," she said rubbing her stomach.

"Mariah? What happened to Jasmine?" Christian asked as he ushered Regina to the table.

"Nothing I'm just testing it out."

"I like Jasmine better," he said as he held out Regina's chair so she could sit down. Once she was seated he went to work on her plate. Regina's eyes stretched when she saw the stack of steak and potatoes on her plate.

"Um you don't expect me to eat all of this?"

"Can you at least try for me?" He asked blinking his baby blue eyes at her. Regina let out a long sigh as she picked up her fork and began to quietly dig into her food while Christian relished in his small victory.

Halfway through breakfast Regina finally spoke.

"I went to see Melanie today."

Christian looked up at her,his face clearly expressing his shock as if his gaping mouth wasn't enough.

"What-why?"

"I got tired of her hounding me, so I went to The Westhouse this morning to see what she wanted, and all she wanted to talk about was money." She said rolling her eyes.

"What do you mean?"

"She wanted to make sure that I don't come after the nest egg she has set up for her other children."

"You have siblings?"

"Yeah a younger brother and sister that I've never met. After all of this time I at least thought that maybe she would want to try and get to know me. I hoped for too much." She said refusing to cry or acknowledge the dull ache in her heart.

"Babydoll you just say the word and I will make sure she never makes contact with you again. I will hire the best lawyers around and-"

"-it's not that serious Christian, but thank you." She said giving his hand a squeeze. "I'm finished talking about her, can we talk about something else."

"Of course, I bought you something,"

"A present? Yay!" She said clapping her hands. "What is it?" she said as she put a potato in her mouth as Christian rushed out of the kitchen and came back with a small gift bag in hand.

"What is it?" she asked again as she dug her hand into the bag shuffling through the tissue paper.

"Just open it,"

Regina pulled out an envelope and looked up at Christian questioningly. She opened the envelope and pulled out a pamphlet to a bed and breakfast in Bloomfield.

"Enlighten me please," she said as she looked at the pamphlet.

"We're going on a Babymoon!" Christian beamed clearly proud of himself.

"A Babymoon? Really?"

"What you don't like it?" he asked his smile quickly faded into a concerned frown.

"No I do like it I think it's a really sweet idea," she said touching his face. "But we can just do that here. We don't need to spend money to go sleep somewhere else for two nights."

"I was hoping we would do more than just sleep," he said kissing the inside of her hand.

"We can definitely do that here,"

"But look this place has a fireplace, you love fireplaces, and it has a koi pond. It also has a trail we can hike, you love trails."

"You want to go that bad?"

"Yeah I do, I think it would be good for us to get away and spend time away from everything and everyone. If we stay here our mothers could pop up at any minute." He said and as if on cue the doorbell rang.

"You see what I mean," he said before going to open the door, and he was surprised to see Dimitri at the door holding Sabrina.

"Hey Dimitri what's up?" Christian asked noticing his tensed expression.

"Verity is going into labor and I'm trying to take her the hospital but she doesn't want to bring Sabrina." Dimitri said as he walked into the house as Regina walked out of the kitchen.

"What do you mean she's going into labor she isn't due for another month. Where is she?" she said as she took Sabrina from Dimitri and her travel bag.

"She's in the car, I don't know what to do I feel like I'm about to lose it," he said as he ran his hand down his face.

"Ok first, you need to calm down so you can get Verity to the hospital. Everything will be fine," Christian said as he walked Dimitri to the door.

"We have munchkin don't worry about her, just go," Regina said as she walked behind them. She could see Verity in the car on the phone talking to who she assumed was her mother as Dimitri rushed back to the car.

"They'll be okay right?" Regina asked Christian as they walked back into the house.

"Yes they'll be fine, try not to worry too much," he said kissing the deep worry line across her forehead.

"Okay,"

Regina took Sabrina into the living room to play with her toys while they waited for any news.

"I can hear you thinking," Christian said as he sat next to Regina while she rocked Sabrina to sleep.

"It's been three hours already, why hasn't he called yet?"

"I don't know Gina, I'm sure everything is fine. It's shouldn't be much longer 'til we hear from him. Just relax I don't want you going into labor because you're so stressed out."

"I can't help but worry she's my sister,"

"I know,"

Another hour passed before Dimitri had finally called telling them the doctor was able to stop Verity's labor. Christian could barely get off the phone with Dimitri fast enough to catch up with Regina, who was already packing Sabrina's things so they could go to the hospital. Once at the hospital Christian gave up trying to slow Regina down. The minute Regina saw Verity she burst into tears.

"You terrible skank, I should choke you for scaring me like that." She cried as she hugged Verity.

"Don't blame me, blame the little squirt for trying to come out early."

"Mommy!" Sabrina yelled out turning everyone's attention onto her, as she tried to wiggle her way out of Christian's arms to get to her mother. Verity reached out for Sabrina who gladly went to her. Regina watched as Verity showered her daughter with kisses and she couldn't wait to do the same thing with her daughter.

"While we're here do you want to go look around?" Christian asked and Regina shook her head yes. Christian led through the maternity ward showing Regina everything from the delivery room to introducing her to some of the nursing staff. The last stop was the nursery, Regina's eyes lit up when she saw all of the sleeping babies wrapped up in their hats too big for their heads and blankets.

"Aww they are so cute-look at the cheeks on that one," she said pointing to a plump baby boy that was sucking on his hand.

"Our Jasmine will probably have those same cheeks; I was a pretty plump baby."

"I've heard the stories from your mom already." Regina said as she looked over the babies. Christian wrapped his arms around her and rest his chin on her shoulder.

"If you really don't want to go on the Babymoon, then we can stay home."

"No you're right, we should go but can we wait until after Verity has the baby."

"I was going to suggest that because I know you would worry yourself sick."

"Thank you," Regina said as she turned around and hugged him. "You're so good to me, I love you."

"I love you too babydoll."

****

The next morning Regina walked into her office surprised to see Candice and Jerome sitting in the reception area.

"Good morning," Regina said to them as she set her thermos down. "I'm sorry I didn't know we had an appointment today,"

"We don't I was hoping you could give me a few minutes." Candace said as she stood up.

"Sure, let's go back to my office." She said eyeballing Jerome who continued to sit there looking the least bit interested in what was going on. Rolling her eyes she turned on her heels and led Candace to her office.

"What can I do for you Candace?"

"I would like for you to plan our wedding,"

"Really?" Regina said clearly surprised.

"Yes I love the work that you do, and that's what I want for my wedding."

"And it doesn't bother you that Jerome and I-"

"Well it's like you said, your marriage was annulled so it was like it never happened. I have no problem with what Jerome has done before me."

"Are you sure you want to marry him." Regina blurted out, she usually didn't ask her brides a question like that but she had to make sure her work wouldn't go in vain.

"I know Jerome can be a bit of a jerk but he's my jerk," she beamed "I know how to handle him when he gets off track." She said clearly confident in her decision to marry Jerome even though Regina couldn't see it but, it wasn't meant for her to see. Regina chalked up her fascination with Jerome to her being young and rebellious. She did have to give him credit that he could be pretty charming when he wanted to be. Regina smiled as she thought about how she didn't have to deal with someone so fickle, Christian never wavered in his affection towards her it was one of the many things she loved about him.

"It won't be weird for you?" Candace asked.

"No, of course not, the Regina and Jerome ship burned down years ago." She as she buzzed for Teresa. Regina set up a follow-up appointment for Candace before seeing her out.

"I guess we'll be seeing a lot more of each other Gina, I hope you can behave yourself," Jerome said with a wink as he stood up causing Regina to scowl at him. Candace rolled her eyes as she grabbed him by his coat and pulled him out of the office.

"Uh Gina?" Teresa called out to her as she was about to walk back to her office.

"What's up Resa?"

"You have another guest; I put her in the conference room. She says she's your mother."

Regina groaned as she chewed at the corner of her bottom lip.

"I knew I shouldn't have come in today," she mumbled as she stomped her way to the conference room. Melanie was admiring the photos of past couples on the wall when Regina walked in.

"Why must you continue to torment me? I told you I don't want your money or your kids' money. I don't want anything to do with you, what do you want?" she gritted out beyond frustrated with the woman who couldn't take a hint.

"I know, I know but I couldn't go back home until I saw you again. I want to apologize to you I used my will as a means to see you. I shouldn't have pestered you the way that I did. I didn't mean to agitate you that is the last thing I want for you, it's not good for the baby."

"What do you want Melanie? I don't have time to play these games with you,"

"I just wanted to see you Regina. After my husband passed away I started to think about how I won't live forever -"

"-so what you're trying to gain my forgiveness so you can clear your conscience, so you can die peacefully?"

"No... I just wanted to let you know that I'm sorry. I don't expect you to accept my apology but I just had to tell you." Melanie said placing her business card on the table.

"If you ever want to talk, even if it's to tell me how much you hate me, call me." She said before leaving. Regina snatched the card off of the table and tossed it into the trashcan as she walked out of the conference room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 131 56
"I cannot tell you anything right now, but promise me, Mama Rica. Promise me you'll take care of him for me, now that I won't be here to." She took t...
199K 8.2K 42
Being in an abusive relationship with Ethan is hard, especially for 28 year old Hazel. All her Rich husband does is cheat, beat and lie to her. There...
237 74 20
After two kids, she still remains the mother of his kids and nothing more. She's asked to be more than that, but really is there anything stopping hi...
8K 186 18
Her marriage, which has lasted for three years, ends in a divorce. The whole city laughs at her and mocks her for being the abandoned wife of a wealt...