Duty

By the_hooded_girl

If you had to choose between love and duty, what would you do? Vara is a lucky girl. Adopted into the king's... More

Duty - Dramatis Personae
//
Prologue
Chapter 1 Duty comes first
Chapter 2 Debts of honor
Chapter 3 Peacocks and birds of prey
Chapter 4 Masquerade
Chapter 5 Misery loves company
Chapter 6 Negotiations
Chapter 7 Thick as thieves
Chapter 8 You won't be mine
Chapter 9 House of cards
Chapter 10 As common as they get
Chapter 11 A touch of steel
Chapter 12 Brother in law
Chapter 13 Queen in waiting
Chapter 14 Down to earth
Chapter 15 Heart to heart
Chapter 16 Wedding bells
Chapter 17 Hidden motive
Chapter 18 next best thing
Chapter 19 To have and to hold
Chapter 20 Ophelia
Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings
Chapter 22 Illusions
Chapter 23 Parting is such sweet sorrow
Chapter 24 Sons and daughters
Chapter 25 Into the deep
Chapter 26 Nights in the desert
Chapter 27 Trial and error
Chapter 28 Husbands and wives
Chapter 29 Home sweet home
Chapter 30 Private conversations
Chapter 31 First in line
Chapter 32 Impressions
Chapter 33 Casualties of war
Chapter 34 To be a queen
Chapter 35 Between love and duty
Chapter 36 The chosen one
Chapter 37 Betrothed
Chapter 38 A game of charades
Chapter 39 Dark shadows
Chapter 40 The willful child
Chapter 41 King Darius
Chapter 42 Family
Chapter 43 The king's daughter
Chapter 44 A child changes everything
Chapter 45 Boncini
Chapter 46 Life and death
Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie
Chapter 48 Beginnings
Chapter 49 Love and War
Chapter 50 Home sweet home
Chapter 51 Baby steps
Chapter 52 Vipers
Chapter 53 Ardashir
Chapter 54 Growing Pains
Chapter 55 Jasmine
Chapter 57 Time and distance
Chapter 58 Retaliations
Chapter 59 Every waking moment
Chapter 60 Between two fires
Chapter 61 Nightwake
Chapter 62 Eye of the beholder
Chapter 63 Never the same
Chapter 64 The art of the game
Chapter 65 Trust
Chapter 66 A little bird told me
Chapter 67 Informants
Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds
Chapter 69 Birds in flight
Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind
Chapter 71 Closing the net
Chapter 72 Strike back
Chapter 73 Family and other foes
Chapter 74 The one you trust
Chapter 75 The eye of the storm
Chapter 76 War Council
Chapter 77 What comes around
Chapter 78 Side by side
Chapter 79 Brothers in arms
Chapter 80 Casualties of war
Chapter 81 A price to pay
Chapter 82 With or without you
Chapter 83 Until you lose it
Chapter 84 The comfort of home
Chapter 85 The love we take for granted
Chapter 86 For better or for worse
Chapter 87 Peace and quiet
Chapter 88 What's left behind
Chapter 89 Boys will be boys
Chapter 90 New beginnings
Chapter 91 A crown's weight
Chapter 92 Fathers and sons
Chapter 93 Where you belong
Chapter 94 Pretenders
Chapter 95 Long live the king
Chapter 96 The way home

Chapter 56 Shadows of the past

492 40 1
By the_hooded_girl

"They were pleased with our report," Byron informed the king as he settled himself in the chair across from his lord. The meeting had gone on for days, but the results were satisfying. Everyone would gain from the agreements.

King Elon pressed the tips of his fingers together and pursed his lips. "What did king Marcos say about reinforcements?"

Byron nodded. "The closest settlement to our border would be Boncini, but they are a small estate and already sent support to Salvire in the Northwest of Tirèze. They are willing, but they do not have the means to also support us. King Marcos has agreed to assemble a cohort out of the forces of his lords. It will take some time to assemble them. They will dispatch through Boncini and Salvire as it is the fastest route."

King Elon nodded. "I am grateful. I understand he had a hard enough time defending his own borders. Is it true he called all available men to arms?"

"It is," Byron confirmed grimly, "but attacking Balor from all sides seems to be effective. The Northern lords of Zeir have noticed this too. "

King Elon nodded again. "We will keep up our strategy then. And we will await king Marcos' men." He stood up. "Go greet your wife, Byron. We will talk more later."

Byron grinned. "Has she given you a hard time?"

"Not as much as she will give you if you don't hurry up and greet her."

"I will go quickly," Byron announced still grinning. He stood up too and shook his father-in-law's hand before going in search of Eloni.

She was not far. Half way down the hall she rushed to meet him. "You have returned!"

He scooped her up in his arms and kissed her. "Have you missed me this much? Next time you must come with me then."

"I will hold you to that," Eloni warned him.

Byron chuckled. "I'm sure you will."

Eloni freed herself from his embrace and smiled. "How did it go? You must tell me everything. Is the palace in Auros truly that magnificent?"

"It is vast," Byron nodded, "perhaps three times the size of Tolais, with pillars and marble floors. The rooms are comfortable and cozy and the gardens are almost as pretty as the ones we have here."

Eloni shook her head. "I can't believe that."

"I speak the truth," Byron said, "their gardens are walled by stone and they have fountains in inner courtyards. The landscape is also something to see. The mountains in the East are high. They have many forests and many roads are cobblestone. It makes it easier to travel. The climate is harder than here in Lavos though. I have been told winter is quite cold."

Elonis shivered at the thought. Lavos had soft winters and gentle summers. The land was quite flat and green with fields and lakes and rivers. She had only ever been to Tirèze and that land was dry and hot all year through.

"I met the lady Vara," Byron smirked.

Eloni looked at him with interest now. She had heard so many stories from her sister and how king Darius and his servant were at odds about the lady. She could not deny being curious herself.

Byron chuckled. "I understand why she would vex Darius, though she is quite charming."

"How so?" Eloni questioned.

"She is kind to everyone, but not afraid to speak her mind. She has a ..." he thought for a moment, "she is diplomatic. I understand in Zeir women can hold high positions next to men. She would make a good advisor."

"Do you think that is why my brother-in-law dislikes her? In Tirèze women do not have such freedom."

Byron chuckled again. "No, my dear, I do not think that is why. At first, eh, I thought she was much like Elora, but now I think she is more like Darius, eh. Headstrong they are."

Eloni blinked her eyes at the thought. She had met Darius several times and wondered what a female version would look like.

Byron laughed when he noticed. "I will bring you next time, I will. You will see for yourself."

Eloni smiled warmly. "I am already looking forward to it, though I must say I hope it will not be for a while."

Byron raised his eyebrow. "You are opposed to traveling?"

She offered him a secretive smile. "Only for a while. Perhaps eight more months."

A grin broke through on his face. "Is that so? Well, yes, then I think you are right. You should not travel. Are you certain of it?"

"Very," Eloni smiled.

Byron let out a joyous roar and scooped her up in his arms to kiss her fiercely.

...

"I hope you forgive us, my lady, for not being able to take in your refugees." Quintus Strega had a serious expression on his face. Flanking him was his heir Cassius. Vara estimated it wouldn't be long before he would take over from his father.

She inclined her head. "Of course, my lord. I understand. After all, I have witnessed firsthand the aftermath of the attack on Sylice."

"I remember well, my lady," Cassius now addressed her, "we are still grateful for the assistance you and the lady Ariane provided in aiding the injured."

Vara inclined her head. "It was the least I could do."

"We remember it fondly," Cassius assured her, "as does my brother Hector. He has married three years ago."

"I am pleased to her that," Vara answered, "I hope he is well."

"He is," Quintus replied, "though I have to admit, my lady, I was quite disappointed when you and my Hector parted. I would have liked to see the two of you wed."

"I was not the right match for him," Vara said politely, "it would have made both of us unhappy."

Quintus glanced at Iason, who stood calmly at Vara's side. A soldier with no noble blood. That was who she had picked. He would never understand it. "I wish you well, lady Vara," he said. He bowed at her and left with Cassius.

Iason wrapped his arm around her. "Are you alright?"

She smiled at him sadly. "I'm just fine. I would never have been happy with Hector. He meant well, but he wanted a wife that could serve as mere decoration."

"I know," Iason said softly. He remembered the man well. A good man, but at a total loss at how to react to Vara's free nature. "We knew there would be people that would resent you marrying me. It was only a matter of time before they would voice that opinion."

Vara locked her arms around him tightly and leaned into his embrace content. "I don't care about their opinion." The council meeting had ended a few days ago, but some of the lords had remained at court. Iason and Vara had also decided to stay so they could visit Euniece and Ethan in Dalós.

Iason planted a kiss in her hair. "I know. Come. We will take a stroll through the gardens before we are expected to have dinner with the king."

Vara smiled. "Where we first met."

Iason answered her smile. "I thought you were the lady Vara's maid."

"And warned me against picking flowers," Vara grinned.

Iason brushed away a strand of her hair. "I'm glad I spoke to you that day."

"So am I," Vara replied. Who knew what would have happened if Iason hadn't damaged his knee that time? Would she be married to Felix? She looked up when a flower appeared in her line of vision. Iason held a tiger lily and smiled at her lovingly. "My lady."

Vara smiled at him. "Good sir." She curtsied as she accepted the flower. "I wonder what the lady Vara would say if she knew you stole her flowers."

Iason shook his head amused. "I don't think she would begrudge me one flower if I told her it was for my love."

Vara laughed. "Well, I suppose she would forgive you just this once."

"She will," Iason said with conviction, "she has a soft spot for me, you know."

Vara raised an eyebrow and watched him amused. "Is that so?"

"Most definitely," Iason nodded.

Vara laughed. "I happen to know she shares that opinion." She locked her arms around his neck. "Thank you, for being at my side."

His arms wound around her back. "I wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

...

Mikos walked into the large study hall where his father was hunched over maps and charts. Lord Izem sighed at his son's approach. "Not now, Mikos, I am busy reorganizing the troops."

"I know that, father," Mikos replied, "I was only wondering why you did not call me. As your heir, should I not have knowledge of our soldiers?"

Izem scoffed. "That would be true, if you would have proven to be up to the task, but riding off like a rebellious child while I am away does not show much responsibility."

Mikos stiffened and wondered who of the servants had told him. Or perhaps he had been naive to think the men would respect his wishes. After all, his father was still lord of the manor. Withholding things from their lord would have severe consequences. "Then teach me," he said stiffly, "let me make decisions. Most heirs are taught how to run the family affairs from an early age, but I'm not allowed to even do the simplest tasks without your supervision. Let me handle things, let me make mistakes. But let me make them while you are still alive to correct them. I will need to ride out and inspect the troops and estate at some point. Why not now? Send as many guards with me as you seem fit, but let me do something!"

Lord Izem narrowed his eyes at his son. "You want responsibilities? Very well. King Marcos of Zeir will send men to Lavos to strengthen king Elon's borders. They will be passing through Salvire. You will ride ahead to meet them and arrange for an escort to the border with Lavos. Send a bird to Boncini to consult with them and form a report for king Darius. Let's see how well you do."

Mikos blinked stunned. His father was truly giving in to him? "You... you're letting me ride out?"

"Backing out already boy?!" Izem snarled, "is it too much to handle?"

Mikos straightened his back. "I will do as you have asked."

"Of course you will!" Izem barked, "you are my son! You will obey me! Go now! Out of my sight! And never disrespect me again!"

Mikos' eyes steeled over and he made a stiff bow. He should have known not to expect anything from his father. It had been this way his entire life. No matter what he did, it would never be good enough in his father's eyes. He was either too rebellious or to docile, too smart or too ignorant. Perhaps his brother had the better end of the del. Even as a servant he had more freedom than the heir of Salvire. One day, Mikos promised himself, one day he would break free of these chains and carve out his own path.

He could hardly wait.

...

Ariane watched closely from across the room as Cyrus and Vara were engaged in conversation over a game of lantruculi. All night she had stolen glances at the two during dinner. She couldn't help it. Even after all this time, Vara staying at Auros made her feel insecure. She had promised her husband not to bring it up again, but she still kept searching for signs that something was going on between them. Signs that he still loved her.

It was true that Cyrus had started to spend more time with her, mostly to see his son and watch over the boy's education. Slowly they had grown accustomed to each other. He was more open with her where he used to try and avoid her as much as possible. Still, it was not love. But it was better than nothing. She cherished those moments and wished they would last.
But every time she believed they had finally made progress, Vara appeared again and Ariane found herself falling back into her old behavior.

She frowned and bit her lip when Vara's musical laugh rang out in answer to something Cyrus had said. There was a boyish smile on his face that only seemed to show in Vara's presence. Ariane envied the fact that Vara could draw it out.

"You seem troubled, my lady."

Ariane looked up to find Iason standing next to her. He was watching her calmly, a serious look in his eyes. He had grown more comfortable in his role as lord of Boncini, but he had never lost that calm, observant manner he'd had as a guard.

Ariane sighed sadly as she looked back at Vara and Cyrus, who had resumed their game. "Does it not bother you?" she asked quietly. If anyone understood how she felt, it would be Iason.

He followed her gaze and let it rest on Vara and the prince. He thought a moment, selecting his words with care. "It used to trouble me. Not their feelings, but the pain they caused. I have seen what it has cost her to place duty over want. I can only imagine what it must have been like for the prince." He paused a moment, sadness crossing his face a moment. "Others have been hurt in the process too, as I am sure you know well. Still... I do not doubt my wife."

Ariane bit her lip and fought back tears. "I wish I had your confidence."

Iason shook his head sadly. "It was not always that way. I admit, I have had doubts. But never of her sincerity. My lady, we cannot deny the bond they share, for it has been forged from childhood, long before we had come to court. They will always love each other, but there are many gradations of love and one does not rule out the other. All love needs to grow. We only need to learn to be patient."

Ariane's lip trembled. "You are so sure. I envy you."

Iason smiled sadly. "Time and distance will contribute, my lady. Things have already changed. If you look closely, I am sure you will see."

Ariane sighed. "It still feels like I am competing though."

Iason's expression became more serious now. "There is only competition if you make it so, my lady. Sometimes we merely need to adjust our perspective." The words might seem harsh. He knew she was hurting, but he was tired of Vara always being blamed. Even Cyrus shouldn't be blamed, though he was reluctant to admit it. "You should count your blessings, my lady, for you have one that we do not." He hadn't missed the longing look Vara had given Lucius. No matter how long they had been trying, he and Vara had not been granted a child yet.

Ariane studied him carefully a moment before averting her eyes. She suddenly felt guilty. Indeed, she had been blessed. Perhaps that was enough. Perhaps she should not expect more.

She looked back at Vara and Cyrus. Iason was right. Those two would always be close. There was not much she could do about that. She had a good life. And though she would probably always feel that pang of jealousy whenever Vara was around, she would learn to bear it.

In time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24 0 1
Princess. All my life, I have been waiting to become Queen, to finally be entitled to the throne. Having sleepless nights, studying hard, practicing...
746K 22.6K 40
• BOOK 1 IN MEANT TO BE SERIES • • COMPLETED • • STANDALONE • ~ "I was never yours." I retorted angrily. "Oh sweetheart. You were always min...
188K 9K 44
Betrayal indeed hurts the most. But can anyone ever justify it? How cruel it sounds to even take side of something so heinous, isn't it? ****** Sh...
560K 17.3K 34
You all know the old fairy-tale's where an evil and cruel dragon kidnaps the princess because of her beauty and then knights in shinning armour arriv...