Desolate Hearts. [ON HOLD]

By billowxz

There's no snare like love, or so they say. They were ensnared by an unknown attraction. Fate has never been... More

One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five
Seven
Eight.
Nine
Ten.
Eleven.
Twelve.
Thirteen.
Fourteen.
AUTHOR'S NOTE.

Six.

45 7 0
By billowxz

'I wanna be alone. Alone with you does that make sense? I wanna steal your soul, and hide you in my treasure chest."

-Hostage.

With a bunch of flowers at his company, Zachary knocks on Leigh's apartment door. On the second knock, Mary opens up with a scowl on her face.

Greeting her is her handsome boss.

"Mr Gordon, welcome." She opens the door for him to enter. "Thank you." Glancing around he didn't find anything out of order- in fact the apartment is quite modern and clean. The smell of lavender and fresh wine entered his nostrils and he couldn't help but suck in a deep breath.

Somehow he knew more of it covers Leigh.

"Hi, I'm Mary." She extends her hand for him to shake. He takes it, smiling at her. "Pleased to meet you. Call me Zach."

"Very well." She then throws herself on the couch yelling Leigh's name. "Leigh!"

The music stops, "What?"

"Turn off Maroon 5 and go to your date!" He cocks his head watches her come from the kitchen with what looks like an annoyed frown on her face. They look at each other- Leigh was quick to raise a brow in confusion.

Flowers for what? She asked herself. Her dear friend was on the couch, watching them both in amusement.

The fact that Leigh had on ripped boyfriend jeans, vans skaters and a cardigan didn't disappoint him a bit. In fact, he liked that she didn't try, but still looks beautiful.

"I told her to wear a dress, she refused." Mary yells breaking their staring contest. It was irking, seeing the look Zachary gave Leigh and she returned it with a frown.

"Your beauty can't be concealed bella."

"Its not a date and shut the fuck up!" He hands her the flowers he had. "Thanks... I'll put them in-"

Mary gets up from the couch, hurting herself in the process. The pain was too much but it didn't stop her from leaping her way to grab the flowers, "You'll be late, let me do it for you."

"Are you kicking me out of my own apartment?" She questions.

"Yeah now byee!" She excitedly chants.

He hands his hand out for her to take, she stared at it and moved pass him. This isn't a date, she repeatedly stated like a mantra. However that didn't stop Zachary from trying to contact her body. He placed his hand firmly on her back, guiding her to the car.

During the whole drowning drive, no one dared utter a word. Zachary had his gaze directed at the road and Leigh was too occupied with her phone. He was aware of the insanely killing aura but he didn't even put on some music to ease the mood.

After an entire hour of a drive with him, he pulls up in an elegant restaurant that is shaped like a boat. Odd! She frowns, taking in the view. She abruptly takes off her seatbelt, seeing that she was about go open the door, Zachary covers her left hand with his. She felt tingles coursing through her and her stomach churned in excitement. This is the exact reason she has been avoiding any contact with him. It made her mind mist in questions, and not the inviting ones. He opened the door for her and gave her his arm to take- he hoped, he prayed that she accepts it this time only. And she did.

He guided her in the restaurant, as they entered, she noticed how everybody minded their own business. Women had on expensive dresses and men were covered in expensive suits. Everything screamed wealth. But a few female heads turned to Zachary who walked like a Zeus with the light shining down on him- bringing out his tan.

The inside was amazing- it had a large fish tank and each table was reserved for two. The blue water added a glowing colour to the interiors, it was all too much she thought to herself. He stopped at their table and pulled out a chair for her. She returned the sweet gesture with a smile and a low thank you. A relieved smoke crept on her face, she was glad that his hand finally lost contact with her skin because she wasn't sure how long she could take before she shoved it off.

Without even sitting for a minute, a waiter, who looked like he was in his teen years approached them.

"Good evening, welcome to Dani's Den. Here are your menus, I'll come back after five minutes." The restaurant wasn't the only piece screaming with oddity. The boy sounded like he was compelled to act professional- programmed not to smile. Not once did he make contact with any of them. Any sign of contact actually.

Zachary didn't mind but Leigh was suspicious. She just came to a conclusion that maybe he has been badly treated- it is after all a restaurant packed with filthy rich people. Taking in the menu she sees its only sea food- which she would never eat.

She glanced over the menu over and over till she found what she could eat, aha! They have fried vegetable rice. Relief washes over her- at least she wasn't going to watch him eat as she grunts in hunger.

Exactly after five minutes he re appears, with a notepad. Curiosity got the best of her, she kept her gaze on him as he jotted his order. She actually felt bad for him. The people must be terrible, especially the women. And that was proven, after the glare she received from, Ryker.

"What can I get you?" He forces himself to ask, almost as if he was waiting for a demeaning answer. "Well, hello Ryker." She clears her throat.

Ryker seemed fazed by her actions, "I don't like seafood, so I would like fried vegetable rice." She folds the menu and hands it to him. "What flavor would you like?" She raises a brow, pretending as if she was in deep thoughts. But she shrugged and grinned at him. "How about you choose for me."

"I don't know. You don't have, allergies?" She shakes her head in reply. "I don't bite Ryker, I'm not like these other females. I'm wearing ripped jeans for Christ's sake." He glances at her and finally sees her attire- he grins and she swore she saw his cheeks turn pink in blush. "You look beautiful nonetheless. I suppose you'd like it mild?" She nods, making him disappear. A small smile played on his full lips.

"How old are you bella?" She brings her gaze at him curtly but answers honestly. "I'm 22."

He looks at her and nods, "I take it, this us your first time here?" She nods.

"Your friend, looks fun. How long have you known each other?" He had regarded those questions as he was heading her way.

"Oh, well... We've known each other since high school, she was the wild one and I was the one absorbed with books." The information leaves her lips freely- it just came out without consent. She mentally slapped herself at how open she was. "Ah, no wonder you cursed at her and she didn't seem affected at all." She timidly nods, noticing how this is going astray. Before he could say anything, she speaks.

"I apologize, if I'm sending you the incorrect signal, but we're not here to know each other."

Her eyes fall on his slightly parted lips, partly in confusion and also at how curt she was. He clears his throat, and say; "I understand. I suppose you can tell me now." She nods- her heart finally picks a rapid beat which she refused to think too much of. She heaves a long sigh...

"When we met, at Disneyland, I wasn't alone." She mutters. "I was with my boyfriend."

Like blood was drained out of him, his face becomes pale and his face was devoid of any emotion. But his eyes, the key to the soul, they held an emotion that she couldn't quite comprehend- it looked like, hurt?

No! She shakes her head. The universe is tricking her. "After that mistake of a kiss, I wanted to tell him but for some vague reason I couldn't, so I thought I'd think about it first. He noticed that I was a bit off and said he'd give me time to think about what has been nagging me... Well, long story short, a few days ago I was dumped because of a misunderstanding. Which happened because, a certain billionaire," She uses her index finger to point at him. "You, kissed me out of the blue."

"And what role do I play here?" If she wasn't mentally exhausted she would had cursed him at how nonchalant he sounded. But she decided against it, "I want you to tell the media that there's nothing between us. Lie and say it was photo shopped, I don't care honestly. I just want my life back because its been hell without Dan." She concludes.

"What is it that you do again?"

"Excuse me?" She gasps. "Your career?"

"I honestly don't think it concerns you but I'm a studying doctor." Soon to graduate but he didn't need to know that. He was about to reply but the food is back.

The small smile Ryker had in his face died as he neared their table. The aura was hefty enough to dominate the whole ambience.

He places the plates of food at their front- watching their locked gaze, marveled at how Leigh was looking at Zachary.

"Enjoy, y-your dinner." He disturbs them earning a growl from Zachary. "Thank you Ryker it looks tasty." She smiles picking up her fork, shuffling in her seat like a toddler given grandma's cookies. "Yes, now please excuse me." He does a little bow and leaves without sparing her companion a glance.

He didn't touch his food- stunned by her confession. Never did he think that it would come to this, heck he thought they were to continue from where she left it at Disneyland. But he missed the signs- she didn't hide the fact that he doesn't interest her. She took off after- no, in the middle of a kiss. And after knowing exactly who he is, all she wanted was her boyfriend back.

Her boyfriend is one lucky man, lucky indeed.

He picks up his glass of wine and gulps it in one go- what's that he feels in the abyss of his heart? Disappointment perhaps? Or is hurt? Whatever the feeling was, it is familiar, so much that it brings back daunting memories.

Turning to his right, a beautiful flower lies. Rose. Covered in white sheets acting as petals. Her skin glows as its kissed by the sun. He places a faint kiss on her shoulder and she battles her eyes open. They light green- and her lips curl. "Good morning husband." Her hoarse voice whispers ---

"Zach! Zach!"

Zach?

He jumps off his train of thoughts to be greeted by dark chocolate eyes. She's not her.

"Excuse me Mr Gordon, but I've been calling you for the past five minutes." She whisper shouts. "What were you saying?"

"Wowwww." She hums, he wasn't even paying attention. Does he even realize that his glass is vacant?

"Your food is getting cold and I said, we can now leave since I'm clearly being a nuisance."

"Leigh you're-"

"Can we go, please." Her eyes plead with her and he give in. He throws dollar bills on the table and leave.

This time, he didn't put his hand anywhere on her skin. They exited the restaurant in silence and he opened the car without uttering a single word.

"Can I ask you a question?" She talks as he reversed.

"No." She tenses at his reply. His lips were in a thin line. That was not the answer she expected- it was spoken with finalist and didn't leave a room for an argument. Hell, it had her seal her lips the whole drive to her apartment. She was glad she had her phone and earphones- Lana Del Rey was needed with her remedy music.

Along the drive, Zachary heard her murmur "Hope is a dangerous thing, for a woman with my past..." She bit her bottom lip and sighed. He knew that's not where the song ended.

Perhaps Lana was right- Hope is a perilous thing to have, for a woman with her past. And unlike Lana, she doesn't possess it.

(*)

Unedited.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.4K 937 63
Known as the match maker, and love card player, with a bit bad personality, yet a really soft hearted person. Her name was Ayesha Zyril Ching, the on...
2K 172 41
Jess is an innocent soul that only wants one thing in her life and that is to be bound with Shaun forever. She devoted herself to being the perfect w...
427 1 37
"𝑯𝒐𝒑𝒆 π’•π’‰π’†π’š π’ˆπ’Šπ’—π’† π’„π’“π’†π’…π’Šπ’• π’˜π’‰π’†π’“π’† π’„π’“π’†π’…π’Šπ’• π’Šπ’” 𝒅𝒖𝒆 𝒕𝒐 π’•π’‰π’Šπ’” π’π’Šπ’•π’•π’π’† π’Žπ’‚π’•π’„π’‰π’Žπ’‚π’Œπ’†π’“. π‘ͺ𝒂𝒍𝒍 π’Žπ’† "π‘ͺπ’–π’‘π’Š...
7.3K 337 51
She was all he needed. He knew it. But she didn't. β€’β€’β€’ I can see the moment I've pushed him over the edge and he starts to get mad. "Oh, fuck you...