The Witch's Familiar

By nekoamamori

You're a witch working with the team.Thor brings Loki to live at the Avenger's tower after the events in New... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Epilogue

Chapter 13

58.2K 1.7K 746
By nekoamamori

 Even though Tony came back from his meeting with Loki without cat-ears, you didn't hear any more about the date that day.

Or the next.

Or the next.

Eventually you thought he had lost the courage, or interest.

Or he was happy with your relationship the way it was.

It really didn't bother you. You weren't in any rush to pursue a romantic relationship. It would happen if it were meant to, in the meantime you would enjoy having a Lokitty as a best friend.

*

"Cap, don't forget I'm unavailable tomorrow," you reminded the team at dinner on October 30th.

"Big Halloween plans?" Stark jumped in, dying for material for a Halloween related witch joke.

"Yes, but I'll be back in plenty of time for your party," you told him. You hesitated, but knew what your mother would want, so you added. "Actually, if you guys want to come, you're welcome too. Mom would love to meet you all,"

Loki reached over and took your hand, squeezing it reassuringly. You hadn't advertised that your mom wasn't alive. Loki knew obviously. Nat knew because she knew everything and Thor knew...somehow... "I will come with you," Loki told you warmly. You gave him a smile in return. The rest of the team jumped in to agree to come meet your mom too. Of course she'd want to meet her daughter's housemates.

"Thanks, Lokitty. Mind helping me cook? We need to bring food with us tomorrow,"

He nodded. "Of course, darling. Do you need me to call Helene?"

"Do you mind? We need flowers for the others to bring as well," you asked as you stood and kissed the perfect spot on the top of his head between his cat ears before you headed to the kitchen to get started on the cooking for tomorrow.

"Not at all. I'll join you in a minute," Loki told you kindly. You saw him hold a green ball of magic in front of him through which he contacted Helene. The others watched the use of magic and this side of Loki with interest. They still weren't used to seeing him as a courteous caring gentleman.

You spent the evening cooking and packing the picnic baskets. The others jumped in to help, understanding it was important, even if they didn't know or dare ask why.

*

The next morning you all piled into one of the giant SUVs. You were even wearing a dress from days long past for the occasion. It was one of your mom's favorites on you. Loki and Thor both told you that you looked beautiful. Stark made some sarcastic comment about how you could wear a dress like a normal girl. Nat kicked him for you. He only avoided getting defenestrated because it was Halloween.

The first stop of the morning was to Helene's flower shop. She was excited to meet the whole team and told you about how wonderful of housemates you had. Loki stepped up to her and greeted her with a kiss on each cheek. "Grandmother Helene," he greeted her warmly.

"Finally decided to turn back, did you?" she asked him with a wide grin.

"Yes, Grandmother," he replied a little sheepishly and obediently bent back down again when she reached up to touch his cat ears. "It was time to properly befriend Lady Y/N." The team was openly staring at Loki submitting to a little old lady. Well, the entire team except Thor, who just seemed happy to see Loki like this.

"You got stuck, didn't you dearie?" Helene asked Loki fondly while she touched his ears.

"It's only a mild inconvenience. Especially when Lady Y/N does not seem to mind and I get to spend more quality time with her, despite the ears,"

"They'll go away soon. You still better make your move soon, young man. Don't keep the poor girl waiting," Helene scolded him lightly.

"Of course, Grandmother," he replied warmly and gave you a little smirk.

"Good boy," Helene told him and patted his cheek affectionately.

"Grandmother, please stop meddling in my love life. I don't have one. Loki is just a friend," you reminded her again, firmly. Maybe she'd learn sometime. Instead, she just gave you a warm smile and handed the flower order to Cap and Thor to carry. There were a lot of flowers this time.

"Say hello to your mother for me, Y/N," Helene bid you.

"I will," you replied and kissed her cheek before you left with the others.

"How-? What-?" Tony started, just staring at Loki who offered you his arm to escort you back to the SUV.

"Loki met Helene the last time I went to visit mom. She's a witch and I've known her forever. I hope you remembered from last time not to take her meddling in my love life seriously," you added for Loki's benefit.

"Of course. She means well and cares for you, love," Loki replied warmly.

"Who was that in there and what did he do with Loki?" Clint asked, just as surprised as the others.

You just stared at them confused. "They think I am rude and mean to strangers," Loki informed you with a chuckle. "They are mistaken of course,"

"They should know better. You're one for mischief, sure, but you're also a prince," you agreed. He opened your car door for you and helped you climb into the SUV. By helped you meant cheated and lifted you into the seat so you didn't have to climb in a dress. You stuck your tongue out at him, but appreciated the gesture and the courtesy.

It was a short drive from Helene's to your mom's grave. "Park here," you told Nat when you got close. "We'll have to walk the rest of the way." She did as you told her and you headed toward the tree laden with flowers and picnic supplies. Before you got there, you stopped and waved your hand, creating an opening in the warding spell protecting her grave You could just pass through, but they needed and invite, so you waved your friends through. Loki waited with you until the others were through, watching your back while you held the warding open for the others. You let the spell reengage and took his hand to walk through with him.

The others were waiting for you right inside the shielding. You stepped past them. Thor clapped your shoulder as you passed and you gave him a bright smile. You took your usual bouquet of flowers from Cap and headed toward your mom's grave. "Hi, mom," you greeted her brightly as you knelt in front of the grave and laid your flowers on her tombstone. You heard or felt the surprise from Cap, Clint, Bruce, and Tony. "I brought my friends this year. I thought you'd like to meet them. Though Lokitty has already said hi," you told her. "She'll be here in a minute," you told the as you stood again, unable to hide the excitement from your voice.

"What do you mean?" Cap asked.

"It's Halloween. The day of the dead," you explained. "It'll make sense in a minute, I swear. It's hard to explain," you added. However, what your friends did next touched your heart. They divvied out the flowers among themselves and each stepped forward in turn to place them on your mom's grave with a kind word or prayer. What was the most impressive was Thor and Loki both kneeling at the same time to recite the same prayer Loki had said last time he was here. You were smiling as you watched them, committing the words to memory as they spoke in unison. They both stood and hugged you, sorrow in Thor's eyes, but Loki seemed to understand. "Guys, don't be sad, it's Halloween," you reminded them brightly. "Now will you help me get this picnic set up?" you asked. Cap and Tony spread out the blanket and you got all of the plates and food spread out.

You turned back to the tombstone when there was a shimmer of light. "Mom!" you called and ran into her arms, while the others stared in shock when she materialized.

"Hello, darling," she replied warmly. You held her for a long moment, savoring the one day a year when you could see and touch her again. "Are you going to introduce me to your friends?" she finally asked.

"Oh, right," you replied sheepishly and walked over to the others and the picnic. You gave the introductions, then added. "Guys, it's Halloween, the one day a year that the spirits of witches and wizards who have passed can visit the world of the living," you explained. They finally seemed to accept that and relaxed, greeting your mom warmly, open and inviting as per usual. Loki had approached your mom while you were explaining and bowed over her hand to kiss it in greeting. Gentleman as always.

She gave him a look. "You have a question for me, don't you, young man?" she teased him. He flushed and his tail started flicking adorably.

"Why does everyone keep calling you young today?" Clint teased too.

"Helene is over 4,000 years old. I won't tell you how old mom was when she died, because that would be rude, but it was older than Loki by enough that she can call him 'young man' and mean it," you explained to him. He just stared, not expecting that answer.

"Propriety would indicate that I should ask..." Loki hedged while everyone was dishing out the meal, including the plate for your mom. You had picked all her favorites to make.

"My daughter is old enough to decide for herself. It is a point in your favor, however, that you would wish for my approval," your mom finally answered. She reached up and touched Loki's cheek kindly. "Just make sure you treat her well,"

"Mom, whatever you two are talking about, knock it off and get over here and join us!" you called to them. Loki offered her an arm in escort and walked her over to the picnic blanket.

You had a wonderful day catching up with your mom. The team told stories and showed her the friendship and fun that was your life since you moved in with them. You saw how happy it made her that this was your adopted family and how much they loved you.

You both stood when the sun started to set. "It's time, darling," she told you sadly. You nodded and walked away with the others back to her tombstone.

"I'll miss you," you told her as you walked, your arm around her waist, hers around your shoulders. "Are you ok where you are all year?" you asked her the same question every year. She wouldn't tell you what lay beyond the veil, all she would say was:

"Of course I am. After all, to the well-organised mind, death is but the next great adventure," you smiled at the reminder and hugged her.

"Say yes when he asks, darling," your mom told you warmly. "I wish nothing more than for you to be happy,"

You held her in a tight hug until twilight hit properly and she was gone. New arms were around you a moment later, cool as they pulled you into a comforting hug. You looked up at Loki and offered him a small smile despite the tears in your eyes. "She's happy where she is, love, and she is happy that you are enjoying your life," he told you softly.

"I know. And I love getting to see her every year. It's still hard to say goodbye, though," you told him just as softly. He kissed the top of your head and you smiled, laying your head back on his chest and letting him hold you for a minute.

"Enough moping! We have a party to get to!" Tony announced, diffusing the situation.

You were laughing when you all waved goodbye to your mom's tombstone and headed back to the SUV with the team to head home and get ready for Tony's Halloween bash. It was how she'd want you to leave and how she'd want you to live.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

173K 7.8K 16
Loki and Thor have come to Earth to find a new home after the destruction of Asgard during Ragnarok. Loki has reservations about Thor's plan, given...
1.3K 121 35
You are a young avenger when Loki is brought over to Earth and the Avengers to amend himself. But your similar natures and magic gifts bring you clos...
143K 5.5K 14
After Ultron, the Avengers and their new recruits settle into life at the tower and the new Avengers compound. Thor has gone back to Asgard but he co...
150 14 6
After an intense battle against his brother Thor, Loki finds himself on Midgard. Weakened, mortal and in a child form. He longs to reobtain his power...