Limelight

By seventhirty3pm

Limelight parts 1,2, will all be included in this book. Part 3 will be separate. All her life Delilah Smith... More

Dear Reader
Cast
Fame
The Bronx
The Limelight
My Crème De La Crème
Whip Appeal
Breaking News
People Make The World Go Round
The Joneses' Boy
Encounters
Addition To Part One Cast
Adventures In The Bronx
The Show
The Papers, The Beginning
Daddy's Word
Exhibit A. Coming Out
There But For The Grace Of God Go I
Arosing Conflicts
Home
When Fate Calls
Road To Glory
Road To Glory Part 2
Destiny
Next Big Thing
The Bad, The Ugly
Brewing Plans
A Different Route
Killa's Kill
Something Like Resolutions
California Dreaming
Solo Jackson
Reunited
With Ruin Comes Hope
The Closer We Get
With Hope Comes Ruin
A Night To Remember
There's A Candle For The Darkness
About-Faces
Portrait Of Havoc
Shades Of Gray
Voyage To Hollywood
Dear Reader
Cast
Legally Misguided
Talking Business
Chasing Inspiration
The Start Of The Beginning
He's The Greatest Dancer
Lights, Camera, Action
Time Is Of The Essence
Hollywood Swinging
Boogie Oogie Oogie
The Thrill Of It All
Addition To Part Two Cast
There's A Key For Locked Doors
'Tis The Season
Business Vs Pleasure
Never Can Say Goodbye
Time Waits For No One
Life In Oz
Bees, Buzz, And Honey
City Of Angels, Land Of Demons
Upside Down
All Is Fair In Love And War

Pleasure & Pain

1.2K 26 159
By seventhirty3pm

Delilah walked out of Limelight Records with a racing mind until she spotted Michael approaching the building.

" Baby?" he questioned at the sight of her running towards him with the brightest smile he'd possibly ever seen.

She jumped in his embrace, and he spun her around, laughing at her squeals as she hugged him tightly." Baby, what you doing here? What's the problem?"

" I just talked to Bobby," Delilah breathed out.

Michael was partly taken back for he was just coming there to see what he could do for her– but she beat him to the punch.

In fear of someone recognizing him, he placed her down and pulled them behind a large plant near the door." You did?"

" I did." Delilah sighed to calm herself down, wrapping her arms around his neck. " I put my fears aside and went in there," she paused admiring his features as he hummed for her to continue. " And next thing I knew he was telling me that I had two weeks to come up with a hit."

" Two weeks?"

" I know I know it's not long so I gotta get started now–" she attempted to move past him but he stopped her by the waist.

" Wait, you can't just leave me, girl. Hey, remember I told you about my sister in New Jersey? My parents and Janet are going to visit her for a few weeks — leaving me and my brothers to work on our music, but you know how my brothers do so I could use some company." he bit his lip as they exchanged the same smile.

" Mm I don't know, I can't be distracted." she tilted her head to mimic his,  feeling secure in his arms.

Michael glanced around then shook his head. " You won't ... I'll keep my distance."

" Michael what's the point of me being your company if you're not near me?"

" I'll be near you when I close my eyes and when I open them and that's enough for me... just seeing this," he motioned his hands around her figure causing her lips to twist in attempts to hide her smile.

The door opened and they quickly parted from each other while Curtis's eyes remained on the slip of paper— not even noticing the two sneaking teens behind the draping leaves of the plant.

Michael controlled his laugh at the panic on Delilah's face. " I'll send a ride for you as always," he whispered near her lips, tipping his nose against hers.

Curtis began to call out for her, causing Delilah to shift, while Michael still daringly pressed her against the wall.

" Michael–" she whispered, but his lips stole the words from her mouth as they pressed gently against hers, making sure that the kiss wasn't too long, or left him wanting more.

The smacking sound of their lips detaching made both of them smile bashfully then look away.

" I'll see you then."

" And I'll be waiting." he leaned against the wall with a grin, watching as Delilah rushed in the direction of her uncle.

...

Junior entered Damon's room and sighed at the sight of him sleeping.

He looked around and shook his head. There was nothing to do. Damon was always down due to his mother and Junior understood his reasons completely– he'd feel the same way if he was in his shoes.

His mother didn't know but Junior heard her talking on the phone about Damon, he knew their time together was limited. But it didn't matter if they barely spent time together now and when they did it wasn't the same for Damon didn't do much talking nowadays.

" That's all he seem to be doing now," Devin muttered from the door.

Junior turned his attention to him, noticing the small box in his hands. It was just like the others in the living room.

" Man look at you–soon to be college boy... Ima miss celebrating birthdays with you."

Devin smiled a bit. " Yeah me too... me too." his eyes converted to the box of framed pictures. Some of the three of them, some with his mother, and some with Troy.

Before Devin knew it a tear fell from his eyes.

He hadn't cried about the situations for so long, trying to remain strong for Damon by being positive. Devin wanted to prove that life wasn't completely hopeless and that Damon could do something good in life too.

Yet he couldn't ignore how hurt he was. There was so much he didn't know about why his mother did what she did and he didn't want to know, he knew that it would be too much to take in.

Devin cleared his throat to prepare himself to speak but Junior simply pulled him into a hug. " I'm proud of you man and it's gonna be okay no matter how hard shit gets... You're gonna be doing something that nobody in this neighborhood probably ever did before."

" I feel bad for leaving him, he barely knows his dad. What if he's mad at me for leaving?"

" That's ridiculous man, you and I both know Damon is happy for you. Why wouldn't he want you to leave this place?"

Devin wiped his tears before snorting to himself." You're actually right ... for once."

" Negro, please. I'm always right." Junior snorted as he began to help him finish packing.

Damon opened his eyes when he heard his door close, pulling the family picture from under his pillow. It was back when the family got together in the Bronx for the first time, back when all was mostly easy, pleasant and incorrupt.

...

Helping Devin didn't take Junior long and now he found himself roaming the streets, spending his last day doing just about anything before school started. He stopped by Barbra's, then by Frank's, and now he was leaving out the emptiness of Napolean's basement.

The whereabouts of Man Killa and the absence of his peers on the streets were running through his mind. The notorious blackout had to be the reason the streets were so empty, he wouldn't believe his uncle would just stop the money flow, he figured the Three Sixty might just lay low for the moment.

The only business on the streets was what people called the Black Market. An event in which the items that were stolen during the outage were sold to people for lower prices.

It was wrong, but it was desperate for people who needed the money.

Junior purchased an apple from a man's cart and walked down the sidewalk-clothes racks, shoes, and other things being sold on either side of him.

In front of him was the ruined Lin's comics and for a moment Junior reminisced on the times that he and Damon would have to beg Lin to lower his prices...only to hear him yell ' Get out, you and your people always want to bargain.' followed by him mumbling another racial slur.

Junior laughed and put a little hop in his step as he stepped onto the sidewalk — throwing the apple cord in the nearby trash can before he felt a rough tap on his shoulder.

His head snapped around with a frown until he saw the girl in front of him, even though she didn't look like herself.

Her teeth were not as pretty anymore, her lips in need of moisture, her clothes lack cleanliness, lacking her once-held style. However, he still could recognize her as Troy's sister, Keisha.

" Damn," he mumbled with a shaking head.

" Yo Noah it's been so long man." she attempted to hug him but he stepped back- causing her to laugh a bit and scratch her arm.

The last time he saw her she was a vision and now he couldn't find the words to describe her. " The fuck happened to you Keish?"

She laughed to hide the offense taken then glanced back at the crying baby, laying in an old shopping cart. " Li— Life happened, death happened." she paused and shivered despite the summer heat. 

Her eyes focused back on Junior. " But I can ask the same about you, right? I thought you was making a name for yourself pushing? You still hustling right?"

He knew where this conversation was headed and without answering her question he smacked his teeth as he turned to walk away but she grabbed him by the wrist. " I know you got something on you... Come on don't be like that."

He spun around in disbelief, Déjà vu had never been this intense for him. " Keisha... is that your baby?"

She snorted and wiped the sweat from her forehead. " What that gotta do with anything? She cool she fine but we talking about me right now. Look I don't got nowhere to go you know... I need something to help me cope. I can find a way to pay you back I promise."

" Keisha go get some fucking help." he eyed her watching her expression of hope distort into a frown.

" Fuck you— you here me? Fuck you!" she shouted the more he walked away. " Noah! You know I wouldn't ask if I didn't need it! " she grabbed his shoulder and without thought, he pushed her to the ground.

" You don't need shit! What happened to you wanting better for yourself huh? You were on your way and now look at you– how you think Troy would feel if he knew what you were doing? What you're on? How about Barbara and Darius? They already lost Troy you think they wanna lose you too?"

Keisha didn't say a word and he sighed, taking a while to examine her. He could see Troy in her and he couldn't bear with the thought of just walking away from her." Go get your daughter and come on."

Michael

My frustration made my temperature rise causing me to remove my shirt that began to feel tight. For the past few hours, I spent my time confined in my home studio, tapping the pencil against my chin as I sang lowly to myself. " Somebody who... can make all my dreams come true. Somebody soft and warm- I know just what I want."

This was all I had, this and the title track ' Goin' Places'. Last night was long and sleepless due to my determination to finish it and perfect it to my liking.

This album was pure torture—the name taunting itself because I felt as if I was heading up the stairs to nowhere.

Suddenly Jackie, Marlon, Tito, and Randy's heavy footsteps broke the eerie silence, sounding like some sort of stampede.

They all had the same serious look on their faces and I could sense an outburst from any one of them soon.

I dropped my pencil in the notebook, pushed it to the side, and spun the chair towards them.

Jackie sat on the leather couch and scoffed. " You won't believe what Uncle Sam told us – his Negras today." He crossed his legs and reached over for the Scotch on the end table.

I rolled my eyes slightly." What are you talking about?"

" We decided not to wait any longer and went to have a little meeting with Bobby."

" A meeting? Without me?"

" Don't get worked up over nothing, it wasn't scheduled, we just wanted to know why we busted our asses on tour and still have yet to receive our payment."

" Yeah." Marlon joined in. " And all his–wonder bread ass had to say was that this album he pushing is the key to our money." 

My eyes converted to Randy who now poured himself a drink then Tito who had his arms folded and his back against the wall. " He's playing us I know it."

I rolled my eyes. " Tito, You don't know that so clam down– all of you need to. There was no reason for you to even barge into his office demanding money when we haven't even been off tour for an entire week yet."

Jackie threw his hands up in the air. " See what I say, what I tell you?  "

My eyes squinted at his words. " What?" I gritted, waiting for his response but instead, he snorted. " What? Say what you gotta say–"

" I knew you were gonna find a way to kiss his ass that's what."

" Oh shut up dimwit its called having some goddamn patience." I spat earning wide eyes from Jackie and snickers from the rest of them.

" Damn seem like Mike started his menstrual."

" Well my bad for being stressed Jackie, you know its kinda hard working on an album by yourself when there could be four other people helping you, but instead, they wanna get drunk, high, and fuck all the girls they can."

" Don't act like you weren't the same way once upon a time," he smirked causing my face to soften at the memories. " Plus when we are in the studio with you we don't do shit but stay out your way until you need us to sing chorus or some damn oo's and ah's."

" Bullshit. I needed you guys damn near the whole time I was working on ' Destiny ' but y'all were bitching over rumors — You know what." I stood. " Get the fuck out if you ain't gonna help."

It was unbelievable how selfish and inconsistent they were— only wanting to benefit from the end results instead of dealing with what it takes to get there.

Jackie walked out and as always Tito followed him like a shadow. I spun around not wanting to see the rest of them leave as well like they always did.

...

Valentina peered into her empty refrigerator with rolling eyes for she was under the impression that her grandmother went grocery shopping, but it just dawned upon her that the Blackout wiped the stores clean.

" It's hot as fuck." she mumbled and opened the freezer, glad to see that they at least had ice and a few frozen foods.

There was a knock on the door, but Valentina drowned the sound behind the blowing fan as she drank her ice water.

She could only enjoy the cool air and succeed in ignoring the knocks for so long until they grew louder. " What the fuck?" she mumbled, grabbing her grandmother's bat as she approached the door. " Yo who the fuck is banging on my door like five-o? It betta not be no damn Jehov- Alyssa?" she opened the door once looking through the peephole.

Alyssa stood there with her arms folded, shades covering her eyes, and head tilted slightly. " A bat, Really?"

A relieved chortle escaped Valentina despite the sly grudge her stubbornness still held against Alyssa and her words. Words she had been trying to forgive but can't forget.

Valentina stepped aside and gestured for her to come in with her free hand. " So what brings miss fancy to the ghetto again? Specifically my spot?" Valentina questioned with her back facing her.

Alyssa didn't reply instead she removed the shades with a sigh just as Valentina turned to her.

" What girl I know you must want somethin' , you neva just come to hang out." Valentina eyed her as she was about to walk past her but stopped at Alyssa's appearance.

Despite the matter of her eye no longer being swollen there was still a bruise to trace the memory- even if she tried to hide it behind makeup it seemed to bleed through like a marker seeping through a thin sheet of notebook paper.

Valentina sauntered to her with a reaching hand. " Alyssa, what the fuck happened to your eye?" she attempted to grab her arm but Alyssa flinched and stepped back.

" I just fell okay, that's it."

" That's it, huh? You must've been fallin' pretty hard then to fuck yourself up like this."

With rolling eyes, Alyssa turned and looked in the little mirror mounted on the wall. " Yeah I did so I'll be more careful next time."

" I ain't no stupid bitch Lyssa, so stop beating around the bush and tell me the truth." she gritted, meeting Alyssa's reflection in the mirror.

Her appearance made Valentina choke up in thought of how her own mother used to look after getting beat. Valentina's eyes became watery as she noticed the large bruise and gashes on Alyssa's back." Did that motherfucker do this to you?"

" Come on Tina-" she turned to walk away but Valentina yanked her back, sending vivid visions in Alyssa's mind as she flinched.

Valentina's demeanor softened at the sight." Look at you, the Alyssa I knew was neva this weak. This ain't the Alyssa I found myself admirin' and want'n to be like-You know what... les go I'm not bouta stand here and do nothing."

" Valentina no."

" No?"

Alyssa glanced down and shook her head. " Don't tell nobody please, especially Honey. If she find out she'll tell the whole family."

" Well, maybe she need to find out then-"

" No Tina... I don't want anybody hurting him."

" Oh but it's okay for him to hurt you?-"

" No, none of it is okay! I just want somebody to at least know without judging." she cried. " Please don't make me regret coming to you."

Valentina sighed and returned to the fan in the kitchen. The cool air made her eyes shut and after a while, she finally found the words to say. " You're not going back to him and I'm not saying that shit as a question. I mean it, cause the day you decide to crawl back I won't hesitate to do somethin' about it."

" I'm not - I'll find somewhere to go until these bruises go away... then I'll go to my mom's."

Valentina nodded. Her back was still to Alyssa for she couldn't stand to look at her any longer." But what about your stuff? It's all at his place."

" I'll figure somethin' out."

Valentina nodded again, wiping a tear from her eye before huffing." Well, when you do call me. So I can bring my little wooden friend if he tries something."

Alyssa smirked a bit before giving Valentina a tight backside hug. " Thank you." She muttered, and soon Valetina felt the warmth of her leaving, followed by the door closing moments later.

Michael

I should be used to spending most of my time alone. People would wonder how someone with such a big name and family could be lonely. What people failed to realize was that I lacked friends.

As a child, I lived an adult life amongst other adults – no kids my age except if one of the businessmen had any. 

One thing about those friendships was that they didn't last long. Mostly because I had to work and they had school – but even in other cases my friendships were always short-lived. I've lived this life only pretending that I could bear this hurt deep inside.

Before Delilah, I had no one besides my family and letters from fans. Delilah was what I always needed, a best friend that just happened to be my lover.

Now that I had her — her presence was hard to deal without. It's been that way since the beginning... euphoric for a real sense of belonging then missing it when it was gone.

Which is why I needed her here with me now — thinking of her just wasn't enough. I'll have her here with me in an hour but even that seemed like forever.

Suddenly, I saw someone from my periphery, surprised to see Randy sitting in the other rolling chair next to me, even though I didn't show it, instead, I rolled my eyes and stared at the lyrics in my book.

" Look Jackie may be a ... jack ass–we all can be but they were right about one thing. Something ain't right man-"

" Can we not talk about this, please? It's already enough on my mind." I stressed with a shaking head.

He was silent for a moment but I felt his eyes watching my every move as I began to write then erase and repeat ...again and again.

" So what you got so far?"

I glanced over to him for a mere second then looked down again." It's only the second song, I'm calling it Find Me A Girl. I already know what I want it to sound like smooth and romantic and a bit jazzy, you know?"

" Yeah I can dig it." he smirked and before I knew it I did the same. " So what's been going on with you, did you finally man up and ask Delilah to be your girl?"

" Just because I was waiting on the right time doesn't mean I was being a coward but yeah I did," I admitted causing him to shake my shoulder in excitement.

" Good I actually like this one– way better than Aiden," he mumbled but I could still hear what he said earning a playful eyeroll from me.

" She was just a friend, the rest of y'all only assumed."

" Assumed my ass you can't convince me that nothing happened between y'all—"

" I thought we were talking about things that are relevant? " I sighed as he smirked with his hands up in surrender.

" My bad brotha." he became silent again causing me to bring up another topic that always crossed my mind every time I saw him.

" So what's been going on with you and Keisha?"

" Who?" his head snapped to me.

" The Talent Search winner." I frowned as I could practically see the light bulb flicker on above his head.

" Oh, shit how would I know? Probably with another man by now."

I glanced around to make sure that we were absolutely alone before speaking and even then my voice came out in a whisper. " But what about the baby?"

" What baby?" he mocked my whisper before snickering then talking in his normal tone. " I made her get a test as soon as she had it- the girl wasn't mine." he shrugged earning a side-eye from me before we converted our focus back on the song.

...

Junior entered his home staring down at the baby girl cradled in his arms. " What's her name?" he asked as he closed the door with his free hand.

" I didn't name ha... ain't think I would have to since her daddy promised." she sighed. " Since he promised to send me money for an abortion–but somehow he came to the fucking conclusion that I wasn't pregnant at all-just a " Gold Digging Skank"." she stated earning a hard side-eye from Junior. He was disgusted by the entire situation but furthermore, he wanted to know what led to her stooping this low.

" At least you know who the father is."

" Damn near everybody knows who his ass is— Mr. Randy Jackson. It don't make no difference if I knew the father or not – either way I still wouldn't get no help." She stated as he led her down the hall and soon into his room, closing the door with his foot once allowing her in.

" Did you get a DNA test to make sure?" he asked, his question seeming to tick Keisha off as she turned around to look at him.

" Noah I only fucked two people my whole life and the first one was years ago, it's Randy's for sure, he just don't want nothing to do with us although it's his fault just as much as it is mine."

Junior watched her take a seat on his bed and feel at the fabric of the sheets.

" That's true... but I don't think you should punish her because of him. She didn't ask to be here you know?" He sat next to her, rocking the baby in his arms.

Keisha sniffed and observed him as he smiled down at her daughter. " What would you name her if she was yours?"

Junior stopped his movements and glanced ahead of him in the distance. " Well naming kids was never really something that was on my mind but." he paused and looked down at the sleeping baby. " Her name would be Angel because she'd be my angel."

Keisha's cracked lips curled into a smile.

Her head hanging low and her fingers picking at the other. " When I had her I just knew that I could get rid of her with a snap of my fingers, leaving her in the abandoned building that I gave birth to her in and just forget about her. But I made a mistake by looking into her eyes...I couldn't look away and I found myself saying I'll get rid of her later but later turned into days and days turned into weeks then months — I just couldn't let her go. I hated myself for keeping her when she only reminded me of pain. The label dropped me, Troy died, her daddy left me, and my parents kicked me out. It's just something about her that still left me with some kind of hope even when I turned to drugs to help me cope."

" Keisha, How did you get yourself like this? Who introduced you?"

Keisha seemed to be amused by Junior's words but the fake laughs came to an end as quickly as they began once she started talking. " The night I won the Talent Search they threw an after-party for the winner. Randy came on to me and bought me a few drinks and by a few, I mean a lot. I'm not even gonna lie I was drunk but I was feeling him and I allowed him to take me back to his hotel room. Before we did what we did he reached over in the nightstand and pulled out what he called his special stash."

Junior could picture everything she was saying in his head, specifically what she was getting at now. She didn't even need to finish telling him but he allowed her to anyway.

" I watched him snort the line first then I did it and I thought it was the best feeling in the world but I realize that I only felt that way because I was doing it with him. After everything happened and I had nothing left, nowhere to go, I wanted something to help me feel good like I did that night, it wasn't like the rich shit but it numbed me for the moment." she explained fighting back tears as she grabbed his hand. " But Noah I don't wanna be like this, I don't wanna be numb, I wanna feel."

" Keisha you will get better I promise but you gotta go to rehab, it's the only way. Getting rid of an addiction like this is gonna need more than just self-will and self-control. You gotta get away from everything."

Delilah

There was nothing like the feeling of not knowing what to do, of not knowing what to say, of not knowing what to write.

There was nothing like the feeling of giving up when you didn't want to. There was nothing like the feeling of being pressurized, feeling the weight of doubt on you. I could hardly sleep or eat because the sheer thought of blowing this shot made me sick to my stomach.

My eyes stared at the ceiling as I dropped the pencil in defeat. The deadline was around the corner, and after a whole week, I was left with nothing but blank sheets of paper.

I could feel myself on the brink of going crazy the longer I spent in Michael's home studio, transitioning from the soundboard chair, to the couch, then the floor in a continuous loop as if moving around would conjure up an idea.

After a while I found myself noting down anything that came to mind. " All this pressure... got me down," I mumbled as I wrote." Got my head spinning all around."

A sigh escaped my mouth as my eyes wandered around the room until I stood once spotting a small radio inside of the sound booth. The silence in here was somehow becoming a nuisance, a hindrance to my thoughts.

The sound of Earth Wind & Fire's Shining Star sent a smile on my face as I took a seat on the piano bench, the memories inspiring me to write more.

" Feel the rhythm, check the rhyme." I wrote smiling again as I thought. " Come on along and have a real good time."

These were just words without a rhythm but still, words could not express how relieved I was to see at least something on this piece of paper, it was progress, and that gave me hope.

I was digging myself out of this hole of distress.

" That was Earth, Wind & Fire with Shinning Star and coming up next we have The Sylvers's Boogie Fever." RadioRic proclaimed through the radio. At first, I half-listened as he named the upcoming songs until his words began to spark my interest.

"And speaking of the fever for boogie, have you heard about the new dance craze? Just a few nights ago after an undiscerned person began to break out on the dance floor, everyone couldn't resist in joining. It's called Le Freak everybody — young, old they're doing it night and day down at fifty-four, its the newest thing since the hustle and the bump, the dance of the decade."

I sat there for a while in thought of what makes a hit — love ballads but not for the first time yet dancing and up-tunes were the crème de la crème, something I could envision Michael and I dancing to at Studio 54.

Le Freak. The words kept replaying in my head.

My fingers quickly turned off the radio and grabbed the tape recorder from the shelf nearby. The idea surfaced my mind out of thin air, I planned on freestyling everything I heard along with the bit I wrote down.

" Sunday, July twenty-fourth, nineteen seventy-seven. Le Freak by Delilah Smith." I said before taking a deep breath.

" Have you heard about the new dance craze? Listen to me I'm sure you'll be amazed– by the fun, to be had by everyone, get on the floor it surely can be done. Young and old are doing it I'm told— Just one try, and you too will be sold
It's called Le Freak! They're doing it night and day
Allow me, I'll show the way."

" Second verse." I stopped my singing and said, grabbing my notebook and skimming through the words to see how I wanted to pitch it.

Once I got it I cleared my throat and repeated. " Second verse... All that pressure got me down,
Got my head spinning all around.
Feel the rhythm, check the rhyme,
Come on along and we'll have a real good time.
Like the days of bumping on the floor." I added. " But now we freak, oh what a joy
Just come on down, to fifty-four
And find a spot out on the floor."

I bit my lip in thought as I clicked the button to stop recording. There was nothing like the feeling of reassurance and confidence after a series of doubts.

This was it, I had something, I had a rhythm, I had a song. I nodded as I wrote Le Freak in bold letters along the page.

My focus remained on the papers as I listened to the recording and wrote down the lyrics until suddenly a small plate of chocolate-covered strawberries blocked my view. " I brought your favorite." his voice rang in my ear and immediately my heart sank.

I turned around to see Michael smiling down at me before placing a kiss on my cheek earning a smile from me as well.

" Oh my God, I thought you were gonna be at the studio for a while?" I questioned, opening my mouth then as he fed me.

He straddled the piano bench and slid me closer to him by the waist. " Yeah me too but we finished recording early so you know I wasted no time on getting back here to be with you."

" Mm." I hummed, laughing as the juice dripped down my chin and onto his white button-up that I wore.

" Look at you making a mess, and in my shirt."A grin spread across his face as he swiped his thumb across my chin.

His next actions surprising me a bit as he dragged it against his tongue.

My eyes flickered from his mouth to his intense gaze that seemed to hawk my body, making me feel a bit hot as I realized I only wore panties underneath.

" Um, you wanna see what I got?" I uttered suddenly – seemingly ending his gazes on my body.

His eyes met mine and he nodded as his teeth remained tugging on his bottom lip. " Of course, I would love to," he stated causing my skin to heat for I realized the play he used on my words.

I cleared my throat and grabbed the tape recorder. " You rememba how you told me that the studio had like unexpected magic while we was on tour?"

He nodded causing my lips to spread into a smile. " Well, it happened to me just when I was bouta give up I got it. I was inspired by the radio, bout this dance that everybody been talking bout. I want it to be an upbeat disco track– you know something that they just can't sit still to because they just gotta groove." I expressed on the verge of rambling on, but Michael didn't mind I could tell by the way his demeanor shifted.

Focused. He was focused. His eyes holding eye contact, his poster straighter now. I loved this about him, the way he gave me his attention making me feel heard completely.

" I want it to be something that I can vision me and you dancing the night away to at Studio fifty-four." I continued with a large smile to match his.

" Okay, let me hear it."

Swiftly I shook my head and held the recorder." Nah, it's not done I don't even got a chorus yet... just read it, I don't want it to sound weird - you know? Even if you already know it ain't finished yet."

Michael sighed into a small chortle. "God, I swear that sometime you're too much like me," he then took the book from me bringing on a nervous feeling inside me as I fiddled with the last button on the shirt.

It was the thought of Michael judging my work with his perfectionistic tendencies.

When it came to music, his behavior changed completely. His feedback would be more honest than the truth itself, no matter whether it was good or bad because there was no sugar-coating in the sense of Michael Jackson and music.

My eyebrows furrowed after a while of him seemingly staring at it for he had to read it at least ten times by now. I remained silent and tried to spot any hint of interest or dislike in his expression.

Suddenly, he began to rub his thumb against his chin, nodding slowly. "I like the fact that it sounds good even though I read it without knowing the flow or the tune, and that's a clear sign of a hit."

" Don't just be sayin' this cause you my boyfriend."

" Being your boyfriend just gives me even more reason to give you honest feedback, Sparkle. I'd never send my girl to get chewed up and spit out," he said, earning a large grin from me before I leaned in to claim his lips. A sweet, lingering peck, followed by a deeper kiss, initiated by him.

I couldn't help but let out a soft whimper as he pulled away, resting his forehead against mine, causing the tips of our noses to touch. " We should celebrate." Michael smiled as he tried his best to pry me off the bench by the hands as I shook my head.

" I can't be distracted now, I gotta stay focus."

"Awn C'mon girl." he groaned, causing my eyes to cut up to him as he hovered over me now. "Alright," he sighed then began to reach over for the last strawberry until suddenly, he grabbed my book and darted out the recording booth.

" Michael! "she screeched and immediately ran after him. Chasing him in circles around the entire room before finally getting him in arms reach. Delilah pushed him onto the studio's couch and instantly jumped on him, earning loud laughter from him as he hid the book behind his back then over his head.

The room was full of his laughter and her exaggerated grunts as she remained straddled around his moving body and reaching for the book. Neither of them were affected by the position they were in until their moving bodies touched a certain spot, causing Michael's laughter to cease, while he gripped her hips.

Delilah sat still and peered into his eyes seeing the shades of want in them at an instant. He bit his lip as he lifted, kissing her deeply and grinding her against him painfully slow.

Their lips detached to Michael's dismay as Delilah pulled away to speak however once his lips latched desperately onto her neck, she gasped, moaning softly in pleasure and utter defeat.

...

Delilah could hear the loud noises of the busy city around her though she couldn't see through Michael's hands that covered her eyes.

It was the next afternoon and Michael had been secretive all day. Smiling slyly when she'd continue to ask where they were going.

" Michael where is you taking me?"

" It's 'where are' baby, and you'll see we're only a few steps away, ain't that right Bill?"

Bill nodded as if Delilah could see while they entered the coolness of the building.

Delilah refrained from asking any more questions now that she could feel Michael's steps slowing down after they turned a corner.

They came to a quick halt that nearly tripped Delilah.

They laughed slightly before Michael brought his hands down to snake around her stomach in a gentle hug. " Okay open."

Immediately she did to be met with a long hallway with multiple doors on each side. She turned to Michael with a quickness for she didn't realize that she was in a part of the building she'd barged in several times— Limelight Records.

A smile crept on her face at the sight of his wide one." Michael where are we?"

Before he could answer Bill whispered to him that Bobby called him to his office. Michael sighed at the thought of walking all the way to the other side of the building and took Delilah's hands. " Go inside of the third door on your left and I'll meet you there soon as possible." and with that, he and Bill made their way up the hallway.

For a second Delilah watched their backs then turned around, instantly forgetting where he told her to go. " Third door," she mumbled, admiring the pictures on the wall as she did so.

Artists displayed all over such as Donna Summer, The Jacksons, Kool & the Gang, The Bee Gees, and many more including her all-time favorite Miss Rive Love.

She smiled and continued to stare at her picture that hung near the door. 'Third door to the left'. She remembered entering with large curious eyes.

The studio was one of many in the building with a plethora of instruments, a couch that curved around half the room, a huge soundboard to match the massive sound systems.

Delilah didn't know where to put herself, however, her feet still led her to the recording booth. It reminded her of the one at Magic Studios.

Four mic stands for the back vocals and one closer to the front for the lead, except unlike Magic there were nice soft stools to sit on and a table of refreshments that seemed to have just been sat there given that the tea still produced steam.

She sat down and opened her book. She could've guessed what Michael's surprise was by the way he stressed that she should bring it just in case she suddenly found more inspiration.

She smiled to herself as she looked down at her work.

Delilah still didn't have a chorus but something in her somehow felt that it would come to her sooner than later.

The door opened yet the soundproof booth prevented her from hearing. " No, tell him to piss off, if he wants me to join this damn label he's gonna have to do more than treat me to a studio I've been to a million times. Now give me my fucking privacy Richy." the woman's voice exclaimed before slamming the door.

A huff escaped her mouth before she tossed her purse on the couch then converted her eyes to the sound room.

She paused at the sight of Delilah. Who was this girl inside of the studio she, Riva Love, was promised to have to herself? She thought before taking patient strides towards the room's door.

" You must be my songwriter." Riva entered sending Delilah into a paralyzed state," You look familiar too, do I know you from somewhere?"

Delilah didn't say a word, not a word. The disbelief that ran through her prevented the connection between her mental and physical.

" I- ugh. You're Rive Love." her soft voice barely seemed existent.

Riva placed a hand on her hip and awkwardly glanced around." Yeah I'm aware but who are you?" she interrogated, the slight discomfort in her voice alerting Delilah back to her senses.

" I'm sorry, Delilah- Delilah Smith- middle name Lashay but that doesn't really matter." she stood with an extended hand, inwardly cursing herself for the embarrassment.

Riva gave a sardonic smile and slowly shook her hand. " Nice to meet you."

" I'm sorry but I'm just like your biggest fan eva. From seeing you on TV, posters, and magazines - it's a lot to take in."

Riva gave a slight eye-roll as she chuckled. " Yeah well, I'm much older behind that airbrush and makeup sweetie."

" You still look great honest to God." Delilah placed her arms behind her back to hide the fact that she was shaking.

Seeing her in a club for split seconds versus one on one was a completely different feeling. A new level of nervousness.

" So what is it that you do? You some kind of songwriter?"

" Um well, you can say that but only for me. I guess I can claim myself as an upcoming singer. I used to be a Soul Madonna singing backup for groups but now I'm branching out on my own."

" Hm, lovely," she muttered just as Michael entering caught their attention.

" Michael? Boy, it's been a while. What are you doing here?"

Michael smiled at Riva then glanced over to Delilah." I just had a brief discussion with Bobby."

" Ugh, I see he wants to drag you on the label too huh?"

" Well, actually I'm already on it, my brothers and I."

Riva smirked. " Speaking of your brothers, how's Jackie?"

" Believe it or not ... the exact same." Michael chuckled a bit as Riva rolled her eyes.

" Not surprised."

Michael's eyes converted over to Delilah once again. " And I'm also here with Delilah Smith, a close friend of mine... the next big thing soon to be on the label I must add," he claimed with a cheeky grin.

Riva smiled at her." Oh really?" she exclaimed with excitement - much to Delilah's surprise.

" Yeah, but I'll just take her to the room across and leave you to it."

" It was more than amazin' meeting you." Delilah smiled as Michael took her hand.

" My pleasure." Riva gave a sly grin, fluttering her fingers goodbye.

...

Throughout the week Robert, Carlitos, and sometimes Michael assisted in making her vision for the song come true and the day would soon come that Delilah's dreams would come to be.

Alyssa, Valentina, and Delilah continued to celebrate inside of Valentina's room. Comfortable in their nightwear, enjoying their booze and joints.

" I can't believe you met ya idol." Valentina took a swig of her drink as they settled on the carpet. Alyssa laying on her stomach, Valentina perched on her side, and Delilah sitting with crossed legs– handing the joint to Alyssa.

" Girl me eitha... Michael told me that Bobby wants to hear it next week. I was so stressed to get that song done— I should've known he was bluffin' with the deadline."

" Hm." Valentina let out a hum and placed her drink down. She remembered something.

" So you was with Michael, alone, at his house for two weeks? How many times did y'all fuck?"

" Tina don't start." Delilah couldn't help but laugh and roll her eyes.

" Right, plus you know that Honey prefers the term – making l-o-v-e love." Alyssa teased causing Valentina to reach over for a high-five.

" But no for real, I wanna know how many times," Valentina said, turning on her stomach and batting her lashes like a small child would when begging for a bedtime story.

Delilah looked between the both of them before bashfully holding one of her fingers up.

" Bitch that's it! " exclaimed Valentina while Alyssa's eyes squinted.

" Honey, you got away with staying at his house with him all alone for two weeks and you only did it once?"

Valentina exhaled the thick smoke slowly from her mouth, disturbing the smooth flow of it with her laugh. " I read that a happy couple fuck at least three times a day."

" It was three times a week Tina I read it too." Delilah took the joint with rolling eyes.

" Hell eitha way motherfucker y'all ain't doing it enough."

" Girl you just tryna get my sista turned out and addicted."

Delilah scoffed. " I ain't gonna get no addicted, you be with your man every day and you seem just fine," she stated unaware of how her comment changed the playful demeanor of her girls.

Before Delilah could even notice, the phone that they had waiting next to them finally rang. " Yo oh my God, what if it's him?"

" Answer it girl! " Valentina sat up on her knees.

Michael had told her earlier that day that he would tell Bobby her whereabouts so he'd know exactly where to call, the clock read nine-thirty on the dot now.

It had to be him. She thought as she placed the phone to her ear then fixed her mouth to say a polite hello.

" Hello, am I speaking to Delilah?"

" Yeah. I mean... Yes." Delilah fixed her speech, fanning Alyssa and Valentina's heads away as they tried to get closer to the phone.

" I called to tell you that I'll be ready to hear your song in two weeks."

" Wait two weeks?"

Bobby hummed on the other end as his masseuse continued to massage him. " Yes, is there a problem?"

" No but he told me that–"

" That you were free next week." Delilah's eyes looked between Valentina and Alyssa's confused expressions.

" That's the way of this world darling, things come up, I look forward to hearing what you got." he said, ending the call before Delilah could say another word.

Her shoulders sunk as she placed the phone down in silence.

Alyssa and Valentina exchanged the same look before Alyssa spoke. " So... what he say?"

" He pushed it back another week."

Valentina then shrugged and grabbed her drink. " Oh shit well by the way you was looking it seem like he said neva... here just relax and face the rest of this joint girl."

With a small smile Delilah took it. Her nerves were trying to get the best of her and Alyssa could see it all over her face.

" Aye." she muttered and rubbed Delilah's shoulder. " There's no testimony without a test remember... you already been tested. Be a little more patient with God as he works on your testimony because it's gonna be beautiful." she smiled and the both of them did too as Alyssa pulled them into a tight much needed hug.

A/N
From the bottom of my heart I am sorry for the wait. But what did you think about this chapter? Any predictions?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.8K 549 14
[MJFAs 2019 Winner - Best Short Story] The fourth day of the week. The day before Friday. Just any other day. But to Valerie, it's everything. It's...
36.1K 1.6K 48
She has a name for each man she pleases. He's determined to find out her real one. 2020 MJFAs Winner. [COMPLETED]
6.1K 326 8
|| 2022 MJFAs FINALIST ; BEST SHORT STORY || 𝑨 𝑴𝑰π‘ͺ𝑯𝑨𝑬𝑳 𝑱𝑨π‘ͺ𝑲𝑺𝑢𝑡 𝑹𝑢𝑴𝑨𝑡π‘ͺ𝑬 𝑺𝑯𝑢𝑹𝑻 𝑺𝑻𝑢𝑹𝒀 π’•π’‰π’“π’Šπ’π’π’†π’“ 𝒆𝒓𝒂 **MATURE C...
75.7K 2.5K 38
MJAwards 2020 Winner! FINISHED!! {Jackson 5 - The Jackson's Era} "But do you... love me? And not like how you love your fans Michael; I mean... how...