The Bad Boy's Princess

By tbhanest

❤️ SEQUEL TO THE LOST HEIRESS - CAN BE READ AS A STAND ALONE ❤️ Avery West was the quiet and timid new girl w... More

Ch. 1 - Pre-First Day Jitters
Ch. 2 - The Untouchable God
Ch. 3 - peaches and cream
Ch. 4 - A king without his queen
Ch. 5 - The mini Vanderbilt's
Ch. 6 - A Monrova-Vanderbilt Dinner
Ch. 7 - A built-in gentleman
Ch. 8 - Lost & Found
Ch. 9 - A Whole Galaxy Away
Ch. 10 - Shattered Hopes
Ch. 11 - Game Over
Ch. 12 - A Couple of Delinquents
Ch. 13 - The table of the gods
Author's Note
Ch.14 - A Vanderbilt Birthday
Ch. 15 - The Heavy Crown
Ch. 16- Homecoming Game
Ch. 17 - Haunting Ghost of the Past
Ch. 19 - Homecoming
Ch. 20 - The First Then...
Ch. 21 - The Last Now...
Ch. 22 - Avery Grace
Ch. 23 - The B2B Card
CH. 24 - The Queen Has Returned
Ch. 25 - Scottie
Ch. 26 - The Bittersweet Last Day
Ch. 27 - A Beautiful Nightmare
Ch. 28 - New York
Ch. 29 - The First Snow
Ch. 30 - The Annual Monrova Family Christmas Dinner
Ch. 31 - & A Trip Down Memory Lane
Ch. 32 - My Girl
Ch. 33 - The Last Warning
Ch. 34 - First Day Back
Ch. 35 - The Devil Himself Said Hello
Ch. 36 - A Reunion of the Devil's Spawns
Ch. 37 - Releasing the Beast
Ch. 38 - The Calm Before the Storm
Ch. 39 - Weekends are for the Boys
Ch. 40 - And the Wall Came Melting Down
Ch. 41 - President of the Jace Fan Club
Ch. 42 - Welcome Home, Ms. Lodge
Ch. 43 - The First Guests
Ch. 44 - A Drunken Night
Ch. 45 - Welcome Home, To Me
Part II
Letters
Letters
Ch. 1 - Back to December
Ch. 2 - Muse of Nightmares
Ch. 3 - This Haunting Song
Ch. 4 - Rattling the Stars
Ch. 5 - Queen's Gambit
Ch. 6 - Deja Vu
Ch. 7 - Chepelin and Confessions
Ch. 8 - The infamous Vanderbilt's eyes
Ch. 9 - The Wrong Kind of Churchill

Ch. 18 - The Charity Ball

2.4K 75 7
By tbhanest

This weekend was going to be the death of me, the gala then homecoming dance and then the annual Monrova cousin camping trip. The only good thing about it was going to be spending the entire weekend with Avery. When she said yes to coming on the camping trip, I felt like the happiest man alive knowing she was going to make the trip even better than it usually is.

I was dreading the gala the most, I hated those social events but I knew they were necessary. This was going to be the first gala where I get to take a girl I liked. Avery was the first. And she was probably going to be the first of many things.

"You ready for the gala tonight?" Charles was devouring his pizza, the boy could sure eat as much as he could drink.

"As ready as I could be I guess." I shrugged. "I'm just nervous because it's Avery's first gala, I'm worried she might not enjoy herself."

"Bro you really like her don't you?" Charles shook his head at me. We always had the same views on relationships and dating, neither meant for people like us. But then I met Avery.

"I guess so..." But I was more talking to myself now at this point. This whole week we've been talking more than ever, especially our phone calls almost every night that I've been taking advantage of, using the excuse of working on our project and planning homecoming.

She always fell asleep halfway through the calls, but I fucking adored it. I loved wishing her goodnight even though I knew she couldn't hear me because Avery fell asleep fast. I could hear her little breathing noises that I thought were fucking precious.

I was so doomed.

"How are your ribs?" McCall from East High was the fuck head who bulldozed me last week. And I was going to make him pay. But through it, I saw how much she cared about me so I guess it was a win win situation. But god my ribs fucking hurt and they were still sore as hell after physical therapy.

"I feel fine." I didn't want to admit that I was still in pain, I had an image to uphold. "Ready for this weekend."

Charles eyed me suspiciously, he probably knew I was bullshitting but didn't say anything which I was grateful for. I especially didn't want to make Avery even more worried.

I was extra early for English today because I wanted to save Avery a seat next to me. She was comfortable with sitting with me now, which was a huge step forward for me. When she came in, she cracked a huge smile at me as she was walking down the aisle to take the seat I saved for her.

"Good morning, Ave."

"Good morning, Jace." She smiled. "How are you feeling today? Any better?"

"I'll live, Ave. I feel fine as a horse." I smiled back at her. She was getting ready for class to start but I was too busy staring at her. "So I heard you're coming to my house after school today for the gala."

"Yeah, Ali wanted to get ready together. And aunt Rose wanted me to try on the dress first." Aunt Rose wanted Avery to wear the Givenchy dress she was donating to the gala, an offer which Avery hesitated on for awhile until my mom talked her into it.

"Do you want a ride? I mean we do finish around the same time."

"If that's not too much of a bother..."

"I would love to give you a ride, Ave." I chuckled at her politeness. This girl was really going to end me. "About the camping trip, you should just sleep over after the dance tomorrow since we're leaving pretty early in the morning."

"Sleep over...?" Her cheeks were flushed and her eyes stared at me with the cutest expression. I could tell Avery was nervously misinterpreting what I meant. But that meant she probably has never done anything with anyone. And that thought made me a very fucking happy Jace.

"I mean in one of our guest rooms, Ave." I couldn't hold in my laughter. And I couldn't help but tease her a little more. "But you could always sleep in my room if you'd like. It's the best room in the house."

She was in actual shock now.

"I'm kidding, Ave. I would never touch you unless you asked." I laughed as Ms. Anderson started class. Avery was still flustered, and I thought she was so fuxking cute.

<><><><><>

Coach was not going easy on me despite my recent injury. I was rubbing my chest discreetly during the break when I saw Cameron and Avery walking into the football field. They were laughing about something and her smile rugged at my heart. I suddenly didn't feel in pain anymore. I just wanted to push through and finish practice fast so I could spend time with Avery the entire weekend.

"Sorry I made you wait so long..." I was walking out with Ave after practice after we said bye to Cameron who stayed and kept Avery company until my practice ended. The guys all went home to get ready while I was taking Ave to my place. "How was work?"

"The swim meet was pretty cool, I wish I could join the swim team but it's too late now." She actually sounded really sad and I made a note to find out how to help her get on the team. "Cameron's friend was there again and I think he has the hots for her."

"Of course he does, it's been years. We've been pushing him to ask her out on a date but he kept refusing saying it's not like that." Cameron was like that, he was the most reserved one out of us four. Harry was completely uninterested in relationships, Charles was a player while Cameron was definitely the most serious about love. I, on the other hand, is a mixture of all three of them.

"I see..." She was smiling as we got to my car. "Wait, did you change cars again?"

"I alternate, Ave. Gotta keep life interesting, come on." She shook her head in disapproval and got in hesitantly.

"Well, I don't like this one... It looks dangerous." She puckered her lips and she looked around my car. "It doesn't feel safe."

"The McClaren is the safest race car I can promise you that. She will keep you safe." I couldn't believe I was letting a girl critique my choice in cars, especially my favorite baby. But I found it so cute that she was terrified of Clara, my race car. "But if you'd like, I won't use her anymore whenever I give you rides."

"No, no you don't have to do that. It's just... a little scary but I'm sure she's really nice." I laughed so hard that Avery looked confused. She was too goddamn cute. God, it was officially over for you, Jace Vanderbilt. You found your greatest weakness.

"I've always wondered, you know your house looks like a medival castle? What do you guys use the extra rooms for?" Avery was admiring the front of my house as if she had never been there before.

"It was a castle before my great grandfather turned it into an estate and gifted it to my mom and dad for their wedding gift."

"So it's just your family that lives here?" Her jaw dropped a little. "But it's massive...."

"Well, I mean we have helpers and groundskeepers who live here, too Ave. And it's good for weekends when the whole big family comes to stay with us. If you haven't noticed, I have a huge family."

"Yeah, you do. It must be nice. I'm jealous." She chuckled softly when we got inside. "You're very blessed, Jace."

I saw the hint of sadness in her eyes but I didn't want to push it and made her sad. So I tried to cheer her up by making her pancakes, which did the trick perfectly. She even put whip cream on my nose. If the twins were home, they would've joined in on the whip cream war too but they were away on a vacation with my grandpa and his wife right now since they couldn't come to the camping trip with us.

"Oh, there you are! I was wondering what took you guys so long. Jace I told you to have Avery here an hour ago." Ali came down in her robe, which meant she was getting ready.

Shit, I totally forgot. I got so carried away.

"I mean, we did get here an hour ago. I just made Avery some food. It's still early, A."

"You are such a guy." She shook her head and rolled her eyes at me before kidnapping Avery who was still laughing when she left the kitchen. I could hear her and Ali talking about the dress and the gala as they were leaving.

<><><><><>

The guys and I were outside in the garden drinking cocktails and talking about Cameron's girl issues when I saw Charles stopped dead in his track. I turned to see what he was looking at and again, I did not like it. But I couldn't blame him.

My god....

Avery was wearing a blush dress that was satin on top and tutu at the bottom. I was the worst at describing girl clothes but my god... she looked like a goddess. It was as if she was born to wear dresses like that one.

She was walking with Ali who saw me and waved before they went backstage as the auction was starting. Avery didn't see me but I was glad because if she had looked at me, I might have collapsed.

I turned to Charles, who was still staring at Ave. But something was different in his eyes, and I didn't like it. A hint of sincere admiration replaced his usual wicked witty stares at girls. Could Charles be interested in Avery too? But he didn't know her like I did.

It was Avery's turn on stage and everyone stopped to stare at her. I felt so proud of her, seeing how confident she was up there, like a natural. She smiled and slowly walked so elegantly down the runway. There were a lot of mummurs and whispers, but all eyes were on her. That was my girl.

She caught my eyes and held my gaze, before smiling at me. I felt so fucking lucky to know her like that, to say that she was someone close to my heart. She was so beautiful...

"Jace, um you got a little something there." Cameron coughed and put a finger on his lips, trying to imply that I was drooling. I mean, he wasn't completely wrong. I wanted her.

"Shut it."

"Damn, West cleans up nicely." Harry nodded his head, "you're a lucky bastard Jay."

"She's not even mine..." I groaned annoyingly. "We're just friends, it's not like that."

"Oh god we got another Cameron?!" Harry groaned. "Oh god no, not you too Jay."

I couldn't keep up with the conversation anymore when Avery was up on stage, blessing the entire ball with the sight of a goddess. I didn't care for my friends' teasing right now when all my attention was on her and her only. I could tell she was nervous as she looked around, as if she was searching for me. And as soon as she found me, her smile returned and that made me a very fucking happy Jace.

"I was horribly awkward up there, wasn't I?" Avery nervously ran straight into my open arms as soon as she walked off stage. This dummy really thought she blew it up there when she was the star of the entire night, not that I was being biased.

"Ave, you stole the entire show..." Of course, she didn't believe me as she narrowed her eyes and was about to say something until the guys showed up by my side and completely took our moment.

"You were amazing up there, if you told me you've never done this before, I wouldn't buy it." Cameron gave her a bouquet of flowers and damn it, I didn't think of giving her anything besides my surprise.

We all sat at the same table, Cameron's girl-friend was even there. Charles was starting small talks with Avery and I was getting stupidly jealous. Avery was so beautiful tonight, there was no doubt that every guy in his right mind would have their eyes on her tonight.

As if I jinxed myself, Asher from Milford & Associates walked up to our table and asked Avery to dance. She looked at me and I could tell she was extremely uncomfortable. It took her so long to get used to me and the guys. And Asher, was definitely not going to make it.

"Sorry, man, she's called for." Harry shrugged as Avery didn't know what to say. "She's here as Jace's date, you know his girl and everything. Clearly you're new here."

"Jace Vanderbilt's girl? Jace, aren't you dating London? That's the biggest news around town, everyone knew that. Clearly not this beauty here, you're the new girl aren't you?" That's it, he was fucking pushing it. I didn't want to start anything here but he stepped over the line.

"What did you just say?" I was trying to hold myself back, but apparently not well enough as I saw concerns in Avery's eyes. She didn't like it when I was angry. I learned that the hard way. "Just leave, Asher. Before your father hears it from mine, and that's just not pretty."

"We're just heirs, Jace. The future of the crowns is still uncertain, who knows maybe by the next time I see you, it'll be my family who wears the crown." Asher smirked and I was about to blow up until Charles let out a laugh.

"Okay, buddy, that was a beautiful fairy tale and all but reality isn't matching up. So, less barking more biting, Ashey boy." He rolled his eyes at Asher, who was clearly embarrassed now. "My family could put yours out of business with just a phone call, let alone the Monrova's. Come on, mate. Back to your table, the adults are trying to have dinner."

Asher finally left with his face red as a tomato. "A little harsh, Charlie." I shook my head but inside, I was fist bumping Charles for the remark. As much as I hated it sometimes, my family was the most powerful one in the world and there was nothing anyone could say or do that could change that. All of this business talk made me forget about Avery, who was now looking down at her lap.

I took her hand and she jumped in her seat slightly but didn't reject my hand. "I'm sorry about his impoliteness, he's always been a douche. Don't listen to anything he's saying."

When the gala ended, I offered to drive Avery home so I could give her the surprise. I was so excited to give her the gift until I saw her sad expression, walking to my car. Did I say something wrong tonight?

"Ave... What's up?"

"Nothing, I'm just really exhausted..." She smiled weakly, that meant she didn't want to talk about it. So, I decided to leave my gift in the trunk for a better time.

But the entire car ride, Avery was dead quiet. She was looking out the window, not saying a word. Did I do something to upset her?

"Ave... I know you don't want to talk about it, but I'm really worried. Was it me? Did I say—"

"No, no, I'm sorry. It's just... a lot on my mind and you didn't say anything wrong, I promise." She smiled again, at least this one was a lot cheerier than the last. "I'm sorry, it's just been a long day."

"I know, thank you for coming to the gala and being a part of it. I know it meant a lot to my mom and aunt Rosie. You looked beautiful tonight by the way."

"Thank you for having me, it was actually really fun and I think what your mom and aunt Rosie are doing is wonderful." She was actually smiling now, that was a great sign. "I wish they weren't so busy, I would've liked to thank them in person."

"Well, you have so many other chances. You'll see them soon, I promise. Until then, I'll pass on the word for you."

"Thanks." She smiled.

When we got to her house, I told her to wait in the car for a minute before I went to my trunk to get her the gift I wanted to give her. When I saw it, I knew no one could be a better owner than Avery. Like it was made for her, I wanted her and only her to wear it.

"What's this?" She was shocked as I handed her the box. "Jace..."

"It's a thank you gift, for tonight."

"Jace!" She opened it and saw the dress she wore earlier. I bought it, because that was how much I loved her in it. It fit her figure and personality so well that I had to. I mean after Avery put it on, who else in the world could pull it off... "This was so expensive!"

"It was for a great cause, Ave." I chuckled. "Plus, how can any other girl look as beautiful as you did, in it? That's just impossible."

"Jace... Thank you, but I really can't take this. I saw the price, it cost more than my entire life..." She carefully put the box back and handed back to me. "I'm sorry but it's just too expensive..."

"Ave, I want you to have it. Please. I know aunt Rosie did, too."

"I—"

"Goodnight, Ave. Sleep early, I don't want my homecoming date to look like a zombie tomorrow." I winked before I walked her to her door. I didn't want to leave, but it would have been creepy as hell for me to stay. One day, I wouldn't have to just say goodbye at the front door. One day. But that day was not today so...

"Goodnight, Jace... Thank you, again. For everything. Really."

"No, thank YOU, Ave. I'll see you tomorrow at 6 yeah?"

She smiled and nodded before going inside. And I stood there for a good ten minutes to make sure she got up to her room before leaving. Tomorrow, I was going to be the luckiest guy at that dance. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

154K 4.5K 37
She's the one who timidly hides alone in the back of the library, her nose buried in countless books. He's the one who's surrounded by heaps of fello...
651K 13.6K 87
[COMPLETED] Mila Wilson is quiet, anxious and a little bit of a mess. When she finally starts college despite her mental health issues, she meets the...
His Rose By Odessey

Teen Fiction

127 13 12
Adina Rose Brooks was a pretty basic girl. She got good grades, had a great group of friends, and lived a basic American life. Nothing was out of the...
Bex By KaylieR4

Teen Fiction

47.5K 1.8K 48
One girl. One boy. One life changing deal. "You change your mind?" He asked smugly as I walked over to him. "Before I agree to anything, I have o...