I had it and I lost it {Dante...

By pixiepopcandy

Masumi Shinhoshi was just an normal girl, well, what you would call normal. An unpopular girl with a love for... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Epilogue

Chapter 25

1K 31 3
By pixiepopcandy

I didn’t stay for that long, I ended up finishing my glass of wine then went for a walk on my own through the town, it was really beautiful here, I had to admit. Shame the weather went and ruined it as it chose to sling it down with rain. I covered my hair with my silver coat as I rushed back to the house.

“Masumi.”

I froze on the spot, looking around, it was a voice I didn’t recognise, it was regal though, posh and a man’s voice, that was another thing… Could it be? Sparda? I turned around again then my eyes widened it was him! He was hazy, like Eva, but it was truly him. Tall, slicked back silver hair that was slightly ruffled like Dante’s hair, a monocle on his left eye. He was wearing the regal purple coat with the red waistcoat under it along with the rest of his costume, like the one you get after beating Dante Must Die mode on the first game, not that I’ve ever beaten that mode. Mundus is a little bitch for it let me tell you that! I hate him for it! The first half of the battle, flying through the sky, oh god, don’t even talk about that to me!

“S-Sparda!”

“So Eva was right, you can see us both. She cannot visit you this time but you must go straight back to my son, something important is going to happen. I cannot say what but… Please. Just go.”

“Sparda, answer my question… Has he figured anything out?”

“I cannot answer that Masumi, you know I cannot.”

I frowned then nodded before smiling up at the dark knight, he was a legend and he was talking to me, he smiled softly then vanished, I hurried back to the house, walking in with a frown as I hung the coat up to dry before walking into the living room area. The lights were off, I let out a little scream when lightning struck suddenly. A light going on to show Dante still in the room.

“D-Dante! You…”

“Masumi, I need a word with you.”

I froze in shock, he knew. He was going to question me. I started to shake in fear of what he would say to me, I had to think of an excuse, now! I didn’t have much time!

“How did you know about the last name Redgrave?”

“…I-it’s on Ebony and Ivory! I saw it on there and instantly made the connection… It does say for Tony Redgrave point forty five warks!”

His eyes widened, I spoke in too much detail, and I knew I had! He walked over to me, taking my face in his hands and made me look up at him. What was he doing? Was he? Was… Was he going to… Kiss me? I blushed again; I knew I was blushing so much; my heart was in knots, my stomach doing somersaults.

“How can you know so much?”

“Dante… I-I…”

“What are you hiding from us all? I know you’re hiding something… Even that old lady could tell…”

“I-I can’t say… I-It would change everything… I-It’s… Sacred…”

As we spoke, we inched closer to each other; Dante leaned down, so very close to pressing his soft, strawberry flavoured lips against my own. I wanted it, I wanted to kiss him again, and all fear of him finding out the truth was blown out of the window. I just wanted him to kiss me! And that’s when it happened, lightning struck the ground, making me scream and jump away from the older hunter. I hated lightning; I hated it with a passion!

I instantly rushed over to the sofa where a pillow and a blanket were waiting for me. I kicked my boots off and hid under it from the lightning, Dante grumbled before turning the lights off, walking over to me and sat down on the floor next to the sofa I was hiding in. I peered out from under the blanket, sniffling as he looked at me, gently running his hand through my hair in a comforting manner.

“The lightning isn’t so scary, not when you think about it. Its just Trish…”

“Trish?”

I blinked up at him, he simply nodded, I never realised it until now, he really was a good person, he really was deep down. He continued to speak, a cheeky grin on his lips, that kind of cheeky bad boy smile. I curled up on the sofa like a ball, placing my head on the pillow, just listening to him, I felt like a child again with my dad when he used to tell me a story at bedtime.

“She’s just completely pissed off at me so she’s trying to strike me with her lightning, so there’s nothing to worry about, she won’t hurt you, only me because I’m the one who wound her up.”

“Yeah… She is… Thank you…”

The lightning struck again, I flinched but not as bad as before, he sat there with me until I fell asleep, I really did care about him. Maybe I wasn’t so alone anymore and maybe he wasn’t so alone. I fell asleep with a smile on my lips, I knew I did, a smile made of happiness for once.

Dante’s point of view

I sat in the armchair, waiting for the appearance of Sid as I watched over Masumi sleeping on the sofa, curled up in a ball like manner. She’d been wound up by Ernest all day but now she seemed so peaceful, maybe the little story about Trish helped her sleep as well. The nightmares seemed to be completely going now and only seemed to happen every so often now, I couldn’t help but smile softly. She was so… Beautiful. I never noticed it to begin with, she was a bit annoying at first but… She’s a genuine, sweet young woman. I think I was… I’d never thought about it… Never felt this way about a woman before…

I’m in love with her

Five words that was so strange for me to even say to my own mind, let alone say them out loud. I closed my eyes in thought when I sensed it, a weak demonic presence in the room that didn’t belong to Masumi or me. A smirk on my lips, I grabbed the guitar case, unzipping it and yanked Rebellion from the case, jumping up and pointed the sharp tip of the blade at the presence. What a surprise, Sid was standing by the window to the house, cowering back from my blade.

“L-Long time no see!”

“I went to the trouble to see you at the circus in the afternoon but your manners are sadly lacking!”

I spoke in a more quiet yet intimidating voice, Masumi grumbled as she fidgeted on the sofa, still curled up like a ball. I didn’t want her waking up to see Sid here; she didn’t need to hear this conversation.

“I thought about saying something but by then you were gone! What could I do?”

“Well shall we get down to business, pick up where we left off? Also keep your damn voice down; I don’t want Masumi waking up. She just got to sleep.”

“Easy! Easy! Easy! Hold your horses, I did this for your benefit! The old woman and young boy have been snooping around the ruins, I thought, boy! This is dangerous! They should be very careful. So I nicely had the shrimp call you both over. You understand?”

“So if you’ve got the motivation, why not take care of the demon at the ruins yourself?”

I pointed Rebellion’s tip further into his face, a smirk on my lips as the weak demon cowered backwards again. He’d be out of here in no time at all.

“That’s crazy talk! I try to make it a point to only fight poor weaklings. If this doesn’t concern you then you could have just not come.”

“I just wanted to see your ugly face one last time!”

I snarled, my voice raising and slashed Rebellion at the weak demon, he crashed through the window with a loud yelp, Masumi whimpered but she slept right through it. Good, she didn’t need to see this again. Sid forced himself up in the pouring rain, laughing as he spoke.

“You’re so scary! In the end you were drawn here by the smell of a devil weren’t you! Hahahahaha! You need to choose your partners better, Dante, yours is keeping a dangerous secret from you! Her room holds all the answers you want, maybe you should take a look!”

“What are you talking about?”

“A little lie she made at the beginning is spinning out of her control, one of your friends know her dirty little secret, maybe you should find out before the feelings you have for her grow out of your control. Let’s see if it truly changes what you see in her!”

I snarled, going to attack him again when he just jumped out of the way, rushing away from the house. I sighed, lowering my weapon and turned to look at Masumi. Sid… Was he lying or was he telling the truth? Masumi’s room… What on earth did it mean? Take a look… I wasn’t one for going through a woman’s belongings… But… This time I really was considering it.

Masumi’s point of view

The rain had cleared up the next morning, I yawned with a smile as I sat up, looking like I’d been dragged through a garden hedge backwards, forwards and upside down. I looked awful; my hair was like a crows nest as well. I rubbed my eyes, yawning again before glancing over to see Dante sitting in the armchair still.

“Mornin’…”

“Morning, did you sleep?”

“Yeah… Ugh, I look a state…”

I forced myself off the surprisingly comfortable sofa and searched for a brush to tame the crows nest that I like to call my hair, I ran my fingers through it after I found a brush and ran it through it, picking my bow off the coffee table and slid it into my hair on the left side. Why the left side? I don’t know, it just felt right on the left side, I always preferred it on my left… Must be because I was left handed.

“You look fine.”

“What you say after I’ve done my hair.”

I sniggered before going to sit on the sofa again, wiggling my toes before looking over at Dante. I sighed, twirling my hair around my fingers causing it to be a little curly. This moment… It was perfect to tell him the truth, I licked my lips before opening my mouth, beginning to speak.”

“Dante, I—“

I cut myself off as Ernest walked in fully dressed, I closed my eyes and turned away, maybe I wouldn’t be telling him the truth. I needed to at some point, I couldn’t keep this charade up any longer, it just wasn’t right anymore especially since Lady knew… God, how would I tell Patty? How would she react if I told her? Great, this was all I needed, more stress in my own mind.

“Tony, you sure are an early riser, aren’t you? I’ll put some coffee on.”

“Don’t do it. Don’t try to summon that demon.”

I instantly looked up at Dante then to Ernest as the conversation played out; this wasn’t going to be good. At all, today was when he would lie about being at school and would actually try to summon the demon from the ruins. I didn’t want him to try but there was nothing I could say that would even attempt to change his mind, I couldn’t say a thing, not now, not anytime.

“What are you saying?”

“Tell me, what are you planning to do if you are actually able to summon the demon? If humans were capable of defeating them then that tragedy that happened twenty years ago never would have happened or have you been relying on me from the beginning.”

If humans were capable of defeating them… That one line, Dante didn’t know that it truly felt like a stab to my heart, I closed my eyes and turned away from my partner, I was a human. I hated this, I hated feeling like this, I really did.

“I have no intention of asking for your help, Antony.”

“Don’t play tougher than you are, I can lower my fees if you need be.”

Ernest walked over to a cabinet, opening it and brought out a rifle gun, which he locked, ready to use against the demon when he summoned it. It wasn’t going to do him any help, that thing wasn’t even good enough to be a form of security.

“Don’t worry about it, I’m ready”

“That thing won’t even serve as a security blanket. Does Elise have any idea what you’re planning to do?”

“This has nothing to do with her! You have to understand Tony, this problem concerns me as well man.”

Ernest headed off to work soon after or at least he said he did. Elise came and greeted us, made us breakfast before heading off to work, once I was completely dressed and ready, Dante and I started to walk towards the hospital to visit Margret again. Only to find out where the ruins were in the town.

“Do you think I’m incapable?”

“What?”

I stopped in the middle of the pavement, not looking at Dante as he turned to face me, he had a confused look on his face until he realised what I meant. The look in my eyes was sadness; his words had really hurt me.

“You said if humans were capable of defeating demons then that tragedy wouldn’t have happened. I’m a human Dante; I am not capable enough to defeat demons on my own? Is Lady not capable as well?”

“No, Masumi… What I meant was… Not all humans are capable but… Some are, like you and Lady. Your both more than capable to fight demons…”

“It hurt, what you said, it really hurt…”

I just shook my head, stepping quietly towards the hospital with silence between us; I didn’t want to talk anymore. This place was bad for us both, I was already worried about how I was going to react at the end when Ernest yells at Dante, I honestly don’t think I’ll be able to bite my tongue. I shook my head as we walked into the hospital room. I was silent as Margret spoke.

“That’s Antony and Masumi isn’t it?”

“How do you know?”

“You were just here yesterday. You both came alone today.”

“He’s at school.”

“I see…”

Thank god Margret couldn’t see, I didn’t want her to get scared like everyone else was when they saw Rebellion on Dante’s back. I would say something if he tried to intimidate her but he didn’t, he was rather honest with her actually as the silence drifted through the air.

“Tell me where those ruins are.”

“Pardon?”

“Ernest is planning on summoning that demon.”

“He wants to clear you and your mother’s names of the accused crime.”

“No, you’re wrong”

She gasped and turned to look at Dante, well, you know what I mean! I glanced away; I felt awful again, we’d lied to an old lady, one that was like my nana. I licked my lips again; I needed to buy some chap stick, maybe cherry flavour like in the Katy Perry song ‘I kissed a girl’. I have to admit, I love that song and before you ask, no, I have never kissed a girl though I wouldn’t mind trying it one day, it’d be different to kissing a guy.

“Antony!”

“Margret, I’m not Antony, when I was a little kid there was times when I used to go by that name but I’m not the Antony that you and Ernest are looking for. My name is Dante… Don’t worry; I’ll keep up this little charade, I promise you as long as I’m in this town, I’ll play his friend Antony. You just tell me where I can find those ruins… So, do we have a deal, Margret?”

She told us where to find them and as soon as I’d apologised to her, we were out of the door, running to the ruins on the edge of town. Trying to keep up with the devil hunter was a lot more difficult than it seemed, he ran much faster than I did, a lot faster.

“Why did it have to be stairs?”

I whined as we rushed up them, my breath coming out in pants as a pain shot through my side, a horrible stitch, I hadn’t gotten one of them since my PE group was forced to do cross country in the horrible winter term, yeah and make matters worse, it was snowing that day and we weren’t allowed to wear tracksuit bottoms in punishment for screwing around in the last PE lesson we had.

“Masumi, I want you to stay back this time and if Ernest is in any danger, get him out of it! Leave the demon to me!”

“Got it!”

It started to cloud over, the clouds were black, not the nice fluffy white clouds that signalled a nice day, Ernest had finished the chant, I knew he had, I wobbled on my feet slightly as the ground shook, still trying to keep up with my partner. Once we reached the top, Ernest was trying to move as the furry clawed arm of the demon raised into the air to attack the human, Dante rushing ahead and slammed Ernest out of the way using his body as the claw came crashing down. I rushed over to Ernest to try and get him out of the way as Dante leapt up, crashing the blade of Rebellion into the right side of the demon gate, slicing through it when he landed on the floor. The right hand side of the demon broke free, it spreading its bat like wing and claw in the air.

“Antony? Oh my god… It’s a demon”

I helped Ernest up, trying to pull him away from the scene so Dante could take care of the demon himself, I knew he could, I’d seen him do it after all in the show! The demon went to claw my partner; he forced Rebellion up in a guard, the demon catching the blade in its fist.

Are you Dante?

“What if I am?”

Are you the son of Sparda? I was wondering what you’d look like! You’re just a kid!

“That mean you’ll cut me some slack then?”

Dante managed to force Rebellion free, jumping out of the way of the demons claw, drawing Ivory and shot at its arm three times until blood poured from it. Ernest stood, speaking way too loud and got the demons attention as it pulled its injured claw back up and went to strike Ernest, I screeched, forcing him out of the way, Dante rushing over and shoved me out of the way as well.

“Antony… You’re a hunter!”

“MOVE!”

I shook my head after crashing into a pillar with Ernest, getting up to see that Dante was back in the same situation as before, Rebellion caught in the demon’s other fist while he tried to break it free and defend himself.

“Go on! I’m the one this bastard wants! Get him out of here, Masumi!”

So you are! I’m here for your blood Dante! Because the moment I have your blood, you’re a man born of human and demon, I will stand lord above the demon realm!

The demon threw Dante back into a bunch of pillars, he crashed with a bang, the demon roaring and blasted a flame breath everywhere, causing the ruins to set alight. I instantly covered my mouth, coughing from the flames as Dante got up with hardly any scratches on his body. The demon advanced as I started to pull Ernest away from the fight, heading towards the stairs where Elise was rushing up. The flames were searing, I could feel them from here. Blood began to pour from a cut on Ernest’s forehead as he started to speak, going delirious from the sight and impact of the blow to his head.

“Twenty years ago the reason that demon attacked our town was that… He… He wanted you!”

Elise and I got Ernest straight to the hospital, I was checked over myself for any burns or anything that could hinder my work, I checked in on Margret before I went to meet with Dante, it was almost dark now.

“Miss Margret…”

“Ah, Masumi, I take it you will be leaving now?”

“Yes… I’m sorry, I’m so sorry for lying to you.”

“We all have to tell lies to protect ourselves, Masumi, you have done nothing wrong… Just make this old woman happy… And tell Dante how you feel.”

“What? You…”

“I know how much you care for him, your voice softens when you speak about him, even though we just met, I can already tell.”

“I will… Margret, thank you, call me whenever you want.”

“I shall, my child, goodbye.”

I left the room after saying goodbye, heading down the corridor to see Dante waiting for me, I smiled up at him as he pulled me into a slight hug, I thought he wasn’t a huggy kind of person but hey, I wasn’t going to reject a hug from him at all.

“Are you ok?”

“I’m fine… Did you defeat the demon?”

“It’s gone, it can’t hurt anyone else…”

We pulled away and began to walk out the hospital, knowing that if we were here when Ernest woke up then he wouldn’t take the revelation of Dante being the reason why the demon attacked the town twenty years ago. The sound of a door opening and Ernest’s yell down the corridor made us stop in our tracks.

“WAIT! YOU DEMON!”

Dante’s eyes looked down as he gave brief acknowledgement to Ernest, Elise trying to stop him and tried to pull him back into his hospital room. I clenched my gloved hands into fists as I listened to the conversation. For once, Dante didn’t say a word he was completely silent.

“Stop it Ernest! He’s not who you think! He’s not Antony!”

“BASTARD! IF YOU HADN’T BEEN HERE NONE OF THE PEOPLE IN THIS GOD DAMN TOWN WOULD HAVE DIED! IT’S ALL YOUR FAULT YOU MURDERER! THAT DEMON DESTROYED THIS TOWN LOOKING FOR YOU, YOU SON OF A BITCH!”

“Oh Ernest…”

Dante didn’t stop anymore, he just kept walking while I stood in the same place, let him say his piece; I wasn’t going to take any of this shit, not anymore. I didn’t care what happened to me, he wasn’t going to say shit about Dante.

“YOU DECIEVED ME AND MISS MARGRET! I’LL NEVER FORGIVE YOU! NEITHER WILL THOSE THAT DIED! DO YOU HEAR ME? DON’T YOU EVER COME BACK HERE AGAIN! IF YOU EVER DO I’LL KILL YOU FOR SURE!”

I licked my lips before turning to face him, barking loudly at him with a snarl on my face.

“You sick bastard! You think it’s Dante’s fault that he was born like he was! He never asked to be hunted by demons! You make me sick! You act all high and mighty but if Dante hadn’t been here then YOU would have caused the same tragedy to happen all over again because of your selfish actions! He could have left you! He could have let everyone die but he didn’t! He saved your fucking life! Be grateful you twisted bastard!”

I was panting by the time I was done, shaking with pure anger. My eyes were filled with sorrow and regret when I looked at Elise, apologising to her with my eyes before I walked off, clasping my right hand over my mouth as I rushed past Dante after he stopped to listen to me. His look was one of pure shock; no one would have thought that anything like that would come from my mouth anyway.

We ended up going straight for a train, it was pretty empty due to the time of the night it was. I left Dante for a minute to use the toilet on the train for a reason, I took my phone from my inner coat pocket once I was in the ladies, switching it on to find I had signal and straight away, a call came through. My dad. I instantly answered it and got a voice of pure fluster on the other line.

MASUMI! ARE YOU OK?! SWEETHEART, ARE YOU OK?!

“Dad… I’m fine I’m safe… I’ve been safe all along… You don’t need to worry…”

Sweetheart, tell me where you are so the police can help you!

“The police can’t reach me here… Dad… I’m… I’m literally in a different world… And I’m happy… It won’t be long now… I’ve only got… F-four episodes left… Eva’s looking after me… When I get home, I’ll explain everything…”

Be careful Masumi please be careful. We miss you so much, we all do. Everyone is worried about you.

“I know dad… I love you, I miss you all but I’m ok, you don’t need to worry about me, I’ll be home soon, I promise you all.”

And then the signal cut off, tears rolled down my cheeks as I switched off my phone, licking my lips before heading out, wiping my face. Dante was stood, a grip on Rebellion before shaking his head and turned away; I stepped back over to sit with him again. A smile on my lips before glancing out of the window with a frown on my lips as a tiny whisper left my lips.

“Next mission… Death Poker…”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

147K 6.6K 47
I swear I died just a few minutes ago... so why am I still breathing? ---------------- Reincarnation fic of BNHA [discontinued] ---------------- War...
43.9K 982 65
HE only wishes one thing: To live a peaceful life. After the Great Battle of Chicago however, his loathe for the Human populous grew. He discovered...
29.8K 741 11
There were 4 True Dragons in the world, one of them fell, and a Dragonoid was born. The world was imbalanced, and another True Dragon was reincarnate...
110K 2.7K 51
A anime fan reincarnates as Future Trunks with a few special abilities This is a FanFiction I don't own anything