I Actually Married A Muslim!

By InkMonTima

************ "Why in the name of God are you dressed like that? Are you perhaps carrying a bomb or something... More

WAIT A SEC!
1:Meetings, Greetings, & 1st Impressions
2: Dating Ahmeds VS Dating Johns
3: You Get Married
4: Faith, Fate, and Fear.
5: Not Usually This Accident Prone!
6: Jenny Meets Sarah
7: Culture VS Religion
8: Sarah Saleh Weak Version
9: Build it, Then take it Down
10: Curiosity killed the cat
11: Purely Awkward ELectrons
12: Praying to the Wrong God
13: The True One
14: Zones & Islamophobes
15: Google Is No Fun
16: This is it.
17: Only Sarah
18:Satisfaction brought it back
19: Lower Your Gaze
20: You're her BROTHER??
22: "What if" Headache

21: Unexpected Reply

3K 167 74
By InkMonTima

Chapter 21: Unexpected Reply

"You're her brother?!"

Three stupid, dumb, idiotic words. Actually, four words if you count the "are" but that's besides the point.

"What do you mean?" Zayn's grin slowly melts into a furrowed-eyebrows confused expression.

"Never mind, it's nothing just..." Every single excuse escapes my head, as I hurriedly try to think of what to say next.

"Just what, Adam?" Zayn stares intently at me.

"Well you see...." I pause, desperately searching for the right words to say, "Remember how a few months ago at the masjid that day I explained that the catalyst of my journey to Islam was a girl I work with?" I ask.

Zayn nods and gestured at me to continue telling my little story.

"Well, this girls name is Sarah Saleh, you and her look very similar... and share the same last name.  Do you see where I'm going with this...?"

Zayn gaped at me, eyes wide.

"So you're telling me that my sister is your acquaintance and that she introduced you to Islam?" He speaks more cautiously and slowly than ever.

"Yes" I gulp.

His face lights up like the sun.

"That's amazing MashaAllah!" Zayn exclaims, "She had the honor of helping someone to become Muslim, I'm incredibly proud of her!"

I stare at him as if he suddenly grew a third head.

That definitely wasn't the reaction I expected from someone coming from an ethnic culture.

But then, he frowns deeply and eyes me suspiciously.

"You didn't... Try anything fishy, did you?"

Yeah. That's more like the reaction I expected.

"No.." I reply. Not really. But I'd like to.

After we get married, it won't be fishy then right?

"Are you sure?"

"Yes.  We're coworkers. That's all." I answer, a little too fast.

He eyes me for another 10 seconds before finally clapping me on the back.

"You pass, bro!"

I might've passed Test 1, But it wasn't time for the finals yet.

***********

"Come on Jennifer, I really don't think Dad will be against it!" I hiss at my dearest sister through the phone.

"I don't know Adam... I'm just scared..." she sounds more than a little worried, "When will you tell them?"

"Next week. At our usual dinner. You'll be there right?" I need someone to back me up, I think, laughing silently.

"Of course, do I ever miss our dinners?"

"See you then insha'Allah. Good luck"

"Adam, if you're gonna be using words that mom and dad never heard before, you better give them a dictionary first." she jokes.

"Hm, sounds like a good idea, why not?" I smirk.

Mom and Dad are pretty open-minded. I mean, mom always wanted us to find happiness and peace.  She might have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that her son is no longer Christian, I'm sure that fact will make her a bit sad, but she'll pretend as if nothing happened. She'll probably ask a few curious questions before smiling widely and telling me how happy she was for me.

But Dad? Well you know dads. They want their sons to be like them. I don't know what dad will say. If he'll even accept it. He's always been so good to me.

But what's to stop him from reacting like Sammy's parents?

All I can do is hope and pray for the best.

**************

-Jenny-

My brother was probably the best thing that ever happened in my life. I mean, he was there three years before I came to exist but still.

I study him quietly as he bites his lips slightly.

He's probably hesitating now and I can't say I blame him.  Some people don't really take it lightly when their kids suddenly decide to change religions.  It's not easy for a parent to hear their child say that.

I mean, if a mother or father believe that the spiritual path they're on is the only and best way to enlightenment, the one way to heaven, and that all others go to hell, they certainly won't be too happy knowing their child won't follow them to their idea of heaven.

His deep blue eyes kept darting from Mom to dad and his frown seemed to make his defined eyebrows come together.

Finally, he sets his fork and knife on the sides of the plate and clears his throat.

"Mom, dad, I have something to say."

Here goes nothing.

***********
-Adam-

"Mom, dad, I have something to say."

My entire insides were shaking. At this point, nervous was an understatement.

"You're getting married, son?" Mom winks.

"No, I became Muslim." I smile weakly.

My mom's smile falters for a fraction of a second before she quickly regains it.

"What made you... So suddenly?" she asks.

As I predicted. Part 1 of mom's reaction: curious questions.

"Well um... What happened is..." I tell them everything.

She smiles widely. See? I told you this is how mom would react.

"I'm so happy for you Adam! Each of us have a different way in which we connect with God, I'm proud of you!"

I smile and nod slightly.

"Guess I'll have to learn to cook halal food now, eh?" she chuckles.

I have the best mom ever.

As much as I might've expected mom's reaction, I could've never expected dad's.

He was silent throughout this.

When he finally spoke, he said something that left me stunned.

"Actually, I've been researching that religion quite a bit. But I just can't seem to find a place where I can get factual information... I mean, I'm afraid I'll misunderstand something or..." He paused, "Guess now I can just ask you!"

I froze in my seat and gaped at dad.

"Dad you..." I trailed off, before shaking my head in disbelief, "Yeah! Yes, of course you can ask me anything dad!"

I have the best dad ever.

That night, the only thing I kept repeating before slowly falling into deep sleep was alhamdulilah (thank God).

Alhamdulilah.

_________________
Minor edits on 2/21/2024

June 13. 2019.

Your Girl is back!

As usual, don't forget to Vote, Comment, and share if you can ❤️

I won't even try expressing how sorry I am. It's been six months!! In these six months, I had the spring semester and a summer mini-semester. Algebra kept me so busy I could barely breathe. Hence, the disappearance.

Guess what? I haven't written a new chapter for so long I literally had to re-read my whole story... It was fun, believe it or not!

Some parts were real funny too haha.

I won't promise y'all frequent updates, this summer is a busy one, but I'll try.

How was Ramadan for you guys? How'd you spend Eid? Tell me all about it in the comments! (Or PM if you're not comfortable with Comments)

Again, I love you guys SO much for not giving up on this book despite the very... Irregular updates.

<<<MFD>>>
Muslims believe that Jesus PBUH will come back in the end of times. Not as a prophet tho, as Muhammad PBUH is the last prophet. Jesus will come back as a leader. He'll fight the Antichrist and free Palestine. It's a long story, but that's todays little fact.

Connect with me on Instagram: @inkmontima <3

Tima xoxo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88.5K 4.3K 21
"I thought I told you to stop telling me what to do." I whispered meekly. "I thought I told you that I wanted you here, with me. I want your happines...
25.4K 1.1K 52
Isis had the everything going for her. The Italian Mafia leader treated her like she was his very own granddaughter. His second in command was her fa...
546K 42.4K 51
My stomach dropped the second we made eye contact. He had long and dark brown hair, which curled under the baseball cap he wore backward. The subtle...
4.6K 80 8
"I don't care. I don't care if you wear a scarf over your head. Or if you prefer to wear long sleeves and pray five times a day", he inches closer. "...