Life in Color ✔️

By Honey_Money_

Book 1 in the "Life in-" series Scarlett Rain Rhodes is just like every other 17 year old high school Junior... More

Master Reading List
Hello Readers
1~ Struggle Bussin'
2~ Sweetheart
3~My Stalker
4~ Water Break
5~Headache
6~Say Cheese
7~ Cheesecake
8~ Oblivious
9~ Lazy Day
10~ The Breakup
11~ Bro Code
12~ Adrenaline Rush
13~ Alien
14~ Cutie
15~Chicken
16~ Kool Aid
17~ Walmart
18~ Wet
19~ Disappointment
20~ Thirteen
21~ Puzzle
22~ Snowball
23~Ho Ho Ho
24~ Christmas
25~ Fake Snow
26~ Pretzels
27~ Hell
28~ Ashton
29~ Great
30~ I'm Sorry
31~Doomsday
32~ Change
33~ Coffee
34~ Charming
35~ Valentines
36~ Ticklish
37~ Hickey
38~ Out
39~ Decisions
40~ Tired
41~ People
42~ Chaos
43~Jealous
44~ One Week
46~ Play Ball
47~ Birthday
48~Sugar
49~ Satisfactory
50~ Fear
51~ Help
52~ Potential
53~ Stubborn
54~ Angels
55~ Dork
56~ Future
57~ Gentle
58~ Mine
59~ No Idea
60~ Colorful
Epilouge~ Ashlett
Sequals & Spinoffs
Bonus~ Surprise
Bonus~ One Year
Bonus ~ Wish

45~ Bennett

188K 6.7K 4K
By Honey_Money_

"Hey, Scar, we're heading out!" Sage calls from the tv room.

Getting up, I find him stuffing a box of nerds into his back pocket, the pink box way too obvious even with his jacket covering it. "Have Saffron take a backpack."

He waves me off, "What are you gonna do while I'm out with your boy?"

I roll my eyes, not even a little bit bothered that I'm not going out with them. The two of them need to do something together, without me. "I'll clean. The twins are in the basement so no one will be able to make things dirty for a solid few hours."

And boy does our house need it.

It hasn't been deep cleaned in almost two months and I can't handle the filth any longer. Shoving Sage and Saffron out of the house, I put on an audiobook and get to work, losing all track of time.

I start in my room and work my way down, bleaching, sterilizing, vacuuming, and wiping every surface I can find. My birthday is getting closer by the day and I can't afford to have the entire house be a mess till last second. There are tons of touch ups Uncle John's pointed out but decluttering and cleaning is a good place to start.

The kitchen is the only room I'm putting off, the crumbs and sticky floors scaring me away. Plus, I'm pretty sure there's still traces of Kool-Aid leftover from Thanksgiving. But once I finish literally every other room in the house, including Silver's bedroom, I have no choice but to clean it.

I'm halfway through scrubbing the countertops when the front door opens. I pause my audiobook, checking to see if Sage texted that they were on their way home. He didn't but he could've forgotten. Sighing, I pull my gloves off, I'll finish this mess later.

"You're home early!" I call out, expecting the little girls to run into the kitchen any second.

Music starts to blare from the TV room, making it difficult to hear the nearing footsteps. I count to five, preparing myself for a sneak attack before I turn around. As I take in the person leaning against my doorway I decide I'm no longer prepared for a sneak attack.

Bennett.

He smiles at me, unfazed by the smell of bleach. His hair is buzzed off, ripped jeans and leather jacket dirtying up the wall I just wiped off.

I'm stuck behind the counter, my phone just in front of me. In a panic, I try to see how this will go. It's just me and him by the looks of it, Bennett doesn't enjoy having other people listening to our conversations.

He tends to get embarrassed by my unfaltering attitude.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I demand, placing my hands on the counter top.

He laughs, pushing himself off the wall. "We need to talk, Cutie."

Oh, the things I've waited to say to him but now isn't the time.

"Get the hell out of my house." I watch him, my hands sliding across the counter top. Sweat marks trail behind, giving away just how nervous I am.

"Stop reaching for your phone, it won't do you any good. The twins are downstairs, completely oblivious to my arrival, and the other two are out with your precious boyfriend. Let's not make this more difficult than it has to be." He sounds almost bored with his warning.

Instantly I pull my hands back, looks like that trick won't work twice. A chill works its way down my spine, he's been watching us.

He has full control of the situation, all of the pieces moved to his advantage. "I take it Scotty did a shit job of sending my message."

Shrugging, I lean back, my phone now further away. Nonchalance is key to pissing him off. "No, I got his message loud and clear. It's a shame I can't say I missed him."

Bennett pulls out his pocket knife and begins to clean his fingernails, clearly amused by the accidental gasp I let out. "You never could follow directions very well."

"Why are you here?" I demand, "I listened to your warning, I gave up a whole part of my life and suddenly that isn't enough for you?"

I'll never forget the morning I woke up the night after Sage punched Bennett, his threat left for me to see. That's when I finally made the decision to forget about me and focus on my family. The day before Karen told me about her offer to let me be in charge, I had gone to Bennett's to talk about it, not believing I was enough for my family. He wasn't very fond of the conversation or any talking for that matter.

He sighs, "You did. I waited for you to go against me, to go visit your friends. I used to wait in Oak Hill, expecting to see you sneaking around but birthdays and holidays passed and you were a no show. It took some work but I finally learned you stopped talking to everyone, I didn't think you had it in you."

I didn't, once you hit rock bottom there's no fight left to give.

"So I kept tabs on you, checking in from time to time and I decided how you ended up was punishment enough. There wasn't a hint of that girl I met, none of that sass or fire, instead you were a ghost."

I flinch at his words, angry at myself for believing he would leave me alone. For allowing my grief and blinded thoughts to get the best of me. How many times have I let my guard down just for him to be there. Watching.

"I stopped paying attention for a while, but then your boyfriend came along. What's his name again?"

He looks at me expectantly and I just glare at him, my heart pounding in my ears.

"Ashton." He sounds the name out, curling his lip. "What a curve ball he was. You got so happy and I can't have that."

Bennett walks closer to me, resting his hands on the other side of the counter top. Fighting the urge to move, I stay put, I won't cower to him.

"I had a friend keep tabs on you at school, even tried to have him start a fight but your boyfriend wouldn't take the bait. Too preoccupied with listening to you."

So it wasn't Avery that had him mess with us.

Tilting my head, I smile, "It's amazing what happens when you listen to your girlfriend."

He scoffs, spinning his knife on the counter top. I take a moment to watch it spin, wondering what will happen once the blade stands still. Before either of us can say anything the basement door opens.

"Hey, Scar-"

Bennett slaps down in the blade, holding a finger to his lips. Like I need a warning, I'll die before I let the twins near him.

"Stay down there, I have bleach everywhere and I don't want y'all getting in it."

"What're we doing for dinner?" Silver asks, sounding like he's still on the stairs.

"We're going to do burgers, please don't ask for pizza." Keeping my voice calm is pretty impressive considering that fact my legs are shaking. Please don't fight me on this.

There's a pause of silence but eventually he sighs, "Okay."

I wait until I can hear the door shut before relaxing. They're safe now I just need to keep them that way.

Bennett walks around the center island, dragging his knife along the surface. The sound is barely audible over the music but it's all I can focus on.  "What exactly do you want from me?"

He shrugs, "I'm not really sure yet but I do know one thing."

I don't say anything as he gets closer, eventually pressing his body against mine. My heart rattled through my body, adrenaline kick starting through me. I know I can't shove him off of me, the twins will definitely hear something like that.

The gleam in his eyes makes me want to throw up, he doesn't even look human. Slowly he leans down, his breath burning my skin as he gets closer to my face, then passes it. His lips press against the base of my neck, just like he did at the party.

Instantly my body locks up, I expect it to be quick but he moves to my collarbone. Any fight I had in me vanishes as he lingers, biting me.

I don't know if I should feel furious or disgusted, he knows exactly what he's doing. He's planned this moment out. Coming here, to my house while my brothers are downstairs, is a message to me. But this is a message to Ashton.

The pain helps me find my voice. "And what's that?"

He pulls back and I fight the urge to scrub my neck as he brushes a strand of hair away from my face. "I missed playing with you, I'll see you Tuesday, Cutie."

And with that he spins on his heel and walks away. He's halfway through the house when I hear a second set of footsteps. "I wondered how long it would take you to get here?"

Frantically I begin to rub my neck, turning the sink hot water on before cupping handfuls and pouring it down my body. The scalding water does nothing to erase the feeling of his lips on my skin.

"Letty, breathe." Someone says, pulling me away from the sink.

Blindly, I shove them away, ready to fight at the sound of that nickname. No one that should be in my house would use that name. Looking over I'm surprised to find Gabe picking himself off the floor.

"Wha... what are you doing here?" I ask, my voice sounding dull against the rushing of my blood. I try to take a steady breath of air but panicked gulps are all I can manage, becoming more frantic by the second.

Bennett was here. In my house. He touched me.

He scans the kitchen frantically. "Where's your medicine?"

I open my mouth to say something but a sob escapes. He swears, running to the basement doors. "Boys get up here now!"

I try to shake my head but they're already running up. Sterling reaches me first and when he tries to hug me I push him off.

"I knew something was wrong." Silver mutters, rushing to the cabinet. Doors are opened and water is poured before Gabe hands me my pills.

Shaking my head I take a deep breath. "What's Tuesday?" He freezes, almost dropping the cup. "Gabriel, what's Tuesday."

"We play Steinborn, at Steinborn. The schedule got changed a couple hours ago."

Oh my God. He tries to hand me the water again but I shake my head, whirling around I throw up in the sink. I stay there for a while, afraid to throw up again.

"What happened?" A new voice demands, the sound of metal being set on the floor startling me.

Sage. If Sage is here that means Saffron's here and she's the last person I need to see me right now.

"Bennett happened." Gabe answers.

"What the fuck!" Sage yells, running towards me.

Shaking my head I lean back over the sink, I'm going to throw up again, Gabe grabs my hair.

"Boys, go get Ashton and stay with the girls, they are not to step foot in here." Sage tells the twins.

I spit in the sink, trying to get a grip when Sage gasps. "Holy shit."

I turn to find him holding a necklace in his hand, a spider charm dangling from it. I'm barely able to turn back around before throwing up again.

"Dude, don't." Gabe says from behind me, dropping my hair back onto my back.

Before I can wonder what he's talking about I can smell mint as Ashton tries to rub my back. On instinct, I shove him away.

I can't be touched right now.

"What happened?" Sage demands, handing me the glass of water. This time I accept it, needing to get the taste of vomit out of my mouth.

"I don't know exactly, I got here as he was leaving." Gabe says, handing me a towel.

Turning the water on I splash cold water on my face. Counting to five I turn around, trying to remain calm. All three of them stare at me expectantly.

"The girls need to get out of here, now."

Ashton clears his throat, "They can go to my house."

"I'll take them." Sage offers, pulling his keys out of his pocket.

Good.

"Ashton go with him." Gabe adds.

He looks like he's about to argue when I nod my head. "I don't want him alone, take the twins too"

Who knows if he's still waiting around, watching us.

After a moment's hesitation, Ashton follows him outside, offering me one last glance before he goes. I pretend I can't see him.

"I'm gonna go shower." I whisper, walking to the stairs.

The water burns my skin but I don't change it, scrubbing away the filth of his touch. If I was smart I'd use the bleach, even then I don't think it would be enough. Getting out I don't bother to wipe the mirror off, afraid to see my body. My neck. Mindlessly I throw on a shirt and shorts before walking back into my room.

Gabe's sitting on my bed, typing away on his phone.

"Who are you texting?"

He stops, trying to hide his phone. "No one."

"Gabriel"

He winces, "I really hate it when you call me that, Letty."

I stare at him, waiting for a response. Once I realize he won't tell me anything I sigh, "Why was Bennett expecting you to show up?"

Gabe places his phone on my pillow. "I was visiting my cousin, Drew, on my way home I had to stop for gas on the outskirts of the West Side. Scotty was there and he started talking to me. He said something about Bennett visiting you and once he knew he had my attention he told me everything. So I got in my car and drove all the way over here."

We sit there for a while, not really sure of what to say which is crazy. Words used to be so easy between us. We've started to hang out again but I've still kept Gabe at a distance, never really letting myself get close again. I was scared to connect with who I used to be. The only other person who knew me they way he did was RJ and he never really gave me a choice. Even when I didn't want to talk to him he would sit with me but he was more like an older brother.

"Hey, Gabe?"

He looks back up from his phone, "Yeah?"

"I never did thank you for trying to be there for me." He tries to wave me off but I continue. "I stopped talking to you and, even though you didn't push me, you still helped. You kept attention off me in class sophomore year when I almost had a panic attack. You gave me notes from your chemistry class just because you had a better teacher. You've defended my name more than I deserve and I never told you how much it meant to me."

I never said thank you.

"You would've done the same thing for me, Letty, and it's nothing to thank me for. In my mind you've always been my friend."

"Well, thank you anyways."

He shrugs and I lean over, hugging him. "Besides, once a West-sider, always a West-sider. We tend to stick together."

I laugh, remembering RJ telling me the same thing when I moved and then again when he started at Riverview. His phone dings and he checks it, not thinking twice about it. I read the name and begin to squeeze his arm. This little shit.

"Please tell me Emmy is a girl you're trying to hook up with and not Emmanuel."

The phone gets dropped, "Scarlett, he can help."

Grabbing a pillow, I hit him. "I don't want help from him. I don't want to see him that will just fuel Bennett's fire."

He snags the pillow from me, "He can help, the Widows don't mess around and you know that."

That name sends a wave of terror through me. "Bennett isn't stupid enough to use the Widows for me. He can threaten me, which he's already done, but he won't embarrass himself just to get back at me."

Gabe looks like he wants to argue but my door opens, revealing Sage and Ashton.

"Who the hell are the Widows?" Ashton demands.

"Oh, boy." Sage mutters, pushing past him to sit on my bed.

I mentally slap myself for not listening for them to come back. I wait for the door to be shut, avoiding Ashton's burning gaze. My hand reaches up to make sure my shirt is in place.

"The Widows are a gang from the West Side, Bennett's uncle is sorta their leader."

And with that I explain everything from Sage punching Bennett that night at his house to the warning. I explain some of what Bennett said to me that night at the party and of the message Scotty gave me to what happened today.

The looks on their faces aren't happy. Ashton and Sage are still trying to wrap their minds around everything while Gabe jumps up, slightly alarmed.

"Why did he wait so long?"

I shrug, "Something about us no longer being children. Which makes no sense since we were only 15 and 14."

"Yes, but how old was Bennett?"

"16, barely a year older than me." I've spent countless nights trying to figure out what he meant about that.

"He's not as dumb as I thought he was." Gabe mutters, pulling his phone out then thinking better of it.

I'm about to demand what he's talking about when Sage clears his throat. "So what do we do? I'm sure he plans on kicking my ass thoroughly into the ground Tuesday night and would love to do the same to Ashton and James. I mean, we can't not play."

Gabe seems at a loss for words, panic finally setting in.

"No, we play. We're on school grounds, they can't do anything too drastic without getting in trouble. If they start a fight we finish it."

Sage stops freaking out long enough to look at Ashton like he's gone crazy. "It's not that simple. Bennett's wanted to kill me for two years and this is his chance."

Gabe slaps his head, "Bennett's not going to kill you. L- Scarlett's right, he's not stupid enough to risk embarrassment. Whatever he plans to do will be with just his friends."

It's not a major relief but it's not as bad as it could be.

Ashton just stares at me, no longer listening to my brothers rambles. Eventually Gabe grabs his shoulder and drags him from the room, leaving Ashton alone with me.

"I'm sorry, I didn't say anything before. It's just I haven't let myself focus on that since I was 15." I rush out, unable to meet his eyes.

"Scar."

"And now you're involved and I feel even worse because you don't deserve that." This is literally all my fault.

"Scarlett."

"I understand if you're mad at me, I'd be pissed too. Especially since now he's going to mess with you. I know you moved here to get away from trouble and here I am getting you into even more problems."

"Sweetheart." Ashton says, shaking my shoulders.

I stop talking, looking up at him with sorry eyes. Why isn't he angry? I deserve angry right now.

"I wouldn't change my decision for anything for the world. If I could go back, I'd punch him even harder." He assures me, rubbing my arms.

"But-" My voice cracks.

"You're worth whatever terrible thing he has planned." I pull back, not expecting so much kindness from him. Normally when you're told someone terrifying plans on beating your ass you get upset.

He drys a tear I didn't notice. "Do you understand me?"

I nod my head as he engulfs me in a hug, my body completely relaxing in his arms. There's no other place I'd rather be.

"If anything I'd like to see what he's got." I can practically hear the smirk in his voice.

"A lot." I get out between sobs. Why does he have to be so calm?

If I was in his position I'd be freaking out but instead he moves us to the bed, pulling the blanket over us as he forces me to lay down on my side. I cry for a while, finally allowing myself to face my emotions. He doesn't say anything, rubbing my back whenever the sobs make it difficult to breath.

Once I calm down, I watch his face, amazed by how he looks at me. I've never seen such gentle eyes in my life. I make it a point to memorize them so I can paint them later, never wanting to forget the way they look.

My eyes wander from his eyes and land on his lips, reminding me of what Bennett did to me. Instantly I pull back, feeling guilty for what happened.

"What's wrong?" He asks, reaching out for me but I shake my head.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know he was going to do it and then I froze in complete shock."

Ashton scrunches his eyebrows, completely lost. Taking a deep breath I pull the shirt down, revealing the bruise on my neck.

Ashton's face morphs into fury as he takes it in, I note the disgust in his eyes. "I'm going to kill him."

Tears spring back up in my eyes, "I'm so sorry."

The anger dissolves, "You have nothing to be sorry for." I look away to dry my eyes but he pulls my face back up to his. "You mean the world to me."

He kisses me quickly before resting his forehead against mine. "Get some sleep, Sweetheart. I promise you, I'll be here when you wake up."

It's only six but I don't argue, my eyes already closing. I don't know how much time passes before Ashton kisses my nose, not moving his head from mine.

"If you only knew how important you are."

It's a struggle to keep the smile off my face as I fall asleep.

*****

**PLEASE DON'T GO AND FREAK OUT THINKING THIS IS GOING TO BECOME A GANG STORY**

This has been hinted at since chapter 9 but we're nearing the end of the book! I wouldn't throw a curve ball like that when we're almost done. But in a place like the West Side where crime in high and schools are terrible gangs are a real thing. As always my goals are to A) make you cry. B) be as realistic as possible. C) hopefully give you a good story.

So please don't freak and read the rest of the story. My hope is that you're pleasantly surprised and once everything's been said and done let me know how you feel.

I'd say I'm sorry for the cliffhanger but that would be a lie. But on the positive side I have exciting news coming out in the next few weeks so I hope you're ready.
Let me know what you thought about this chapter
XO-Mo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

595K 17.5K 102
"If you want to try again, I've learned a few things since then and now I'm sure... I would make it so, so good for you..." Luke pulls back, a troubl...
154K 4.5K 37
She's the one who timidly hides alone in the back of the library, her nose buried in countless books. He's the one who's surrounded by heaps of fello...
126K 6.7K 68
Scarlett owns a coffee shop in a quiet little town. She wants more from life but doesn't feel like anyone can step up to the plate. Her first love wa...
3.2M 133K 64
Office rivals fight for the same promotion, while resisting their attraction for each other. LAYLA masks her insecurities behind perfectionism. The g...