Inception ➳ Niall Horan

By pepperrmint

❝what if you got a second chance, to change what happened?❞ Copyright © 2013 May [pepperrmint] More

[0] prologue
[i] memories
[ii] hallucination
[iii] belief
[iv] letter
[v] phone call
[vi] amber
[vii] friends
[viii] new side
[ix] day out
[x] stars
[xi] talks
[xii] freezing
[xiii] déjà vu
[xiv] john clayton
[xv] amber the idiot
[xvi] comfort
[xvii] best friends
[xviii] confusion
[xix] till the end
[xx] kisses
[xxi] cloud nine
[xxiii] amnesia
[xxiv] a little while
[xxv] last goodbye
[xxvi] epilogue
the truth
Sands II One Direction

[xxii] answers

971 55 4
By pepperrmint

                [xxii]

               [niall] [July 23, 2014]

         “Do you want some apple juice?” I asked, pouring myself a glass of the cold beverage, eyeing John from the corner of my eyes. He’d been here for five minutes simply sitting on the kitchen barstool― he said he wanted to talk but not one useful word had been spoken by him. Then I remembered he’s a ghost― or a spirit or soul, or whatever. “I’m sorry, I doubt you can drink apple juice.” I shrugged.

       “Give me that,” He narrowed his eyes. “Just because I’m only visible to you right now and just because I’ve been dead for years doesn’t mean I can’t have human food. I too, feel the need of some delicious food, kid.” He said, as I slowly handed him the glass, and decided to get myself another one.

        “So what’s this important stuff you had to talk about?” I asked, resting my elbows on the counter while sipping my juice.

         “I’ll put you in a blender, juice you, pack you and sell you in shops if you hurt my grand-daughter,” He smiled nicely, making me wonder where he got the idea that I was going to hurt Amber in any way and I started considering at what potential level he could actually hurt me. I mean he’s practically a ghost― and I’m talking to him, and he did threaten to juice me. Maybe he can actually do it.

         “Mr. Clayton,” I cleared my throat. I decided it was wrong to just call him John since he was like― sixty or so years elder than me. “If I had to hurt Amber ever― even before or wherever, do you think I would have fought this almost impossible battle not caring what the consequences are? I’d really like your support right now, you know? You’re practically the only family she has even though she can’t communicate with you in any way except the locket, but I think it would give me a sense of comfort too. Having your elders support you is very important. But right now you don’t really sound like yourself.”

      “That’s because I’ve found something, son,” He placed his hands on the counter. I always used to think that ghosts would be transparent and wouldn’t have the ability to touch things or whatever― basically how they’ve been typically described but here I am, in front of one who’s nothing less than a human. “If you thought I knew everything considering our past conversations and meetings, you’re wrong. All I knew was you’ve got a second chance. And I was sent to help you.”

        “What are you getting at?” I asked, intrigued.

     “What I’m getting at is― my time here is almost over. I had by default given time in hours, and I’m afraid I won’t be able to help you much longer, Niall. I’m meant to look after you and Amber, not necessarily help. I think it’s not new to anyone that this is possibly the hardest time for the two of you. And there’s still some things you need to do before Amber’s completely out of danger― and today I’m going to tell you.”

     “Okay,” I slowly nodded, because let’s be honest, no one likes cryptic John. “Tell me, really do, because I need to know.”

      “You’ve got to watch with your eyes wide open. Remember when that girl gave you a picture of you both?” I nodded yet again. “It only concludes that not all evidences of you both being together are still there― but not many. It might not even be noticeable but that’s when you need to be alert.”

      “So is there a specific place I should go now or maybe something I should do?” I wouldn’t say my mind was going crazy, but somewhat like that. But in a good way― this is the first real time John has actually offered to help is a proper way without any mysterious phrases or words of his.

       “Where is the one place you never checked for anything after Amber returned? Think about it and when you know, that’s the place it is. I don’t know myself either, because all I know is I’m looking after. You see me when you call for me, but soon, you won’t be able to. Not that you’ll lose your ability because when you’re a medium, that doesn’t happen. It’s just that you won’t need my help anymore and you and Amber will be able to strive in the world by yourself.”

         “The one place I didn’t check?” I wondered, leaning back on my chair. Now this was going to be tough. I checked every place possible. The cemetery was done with, her family wasn’t an option because she doesn’t live with them. Trent’s just didn’t make sense and well.. every other small place had no evidence. Hell, even the internet doesn’t. Then what is that one place which does? “You should know, isn’t it? I mean, if you’re meant to protect us, you must have been there from a very long time. Watching us.. or whatever other creepy stuff.” I cringed.

         “Maybe, but I don’t,” He shrugged. “I can tell you more, though. You want to know what exactly happened, right?” My eyes widened as I sat up straight, nodding fiercely. For so long I’ve wanted to know. How Amber magically appeared, how she got back into her body or however one phrases this sort of thing.. how she came back to be alive. Just, how?

         “Is.. now the time?” I asked, my shaky hands clutching the glass.

          “There’s nothing like time for a thing to be said or done. There’s always a specific thing made for the time, instead, I believe. I could have told you everything long back, when I first met you. But then nothing would have been the same. I let time pass by, and I decided the truth was meant for this time,” He saw my blank face, and decided to get on the point. “I won’t keep you hanging anymore. But the story is a long one, Niall. And maybe it’s the best I show it to you.” He smiled.

         “Show… show me?” I gulped.

         “Yes, show you,” He said, pointing at something. I turned my head to the right to spot a group of people circling something― my heart skipped a beat when I realized I was no longer in my house on my kitchen barstool. Everything was white and a few feet away were a lot of people huddled around a certain thing. “Reincarnation.”

          “Reincarnation?”

           “Google search result― reincarnation means the rebirth of a soul in a new body. The process of being born again. All these people you see are nothing but those waiting for it, and none of them are going to get it.” He explained, as we slowly walked around aimlessly.

            “Why?” I asked, my eyes not leaving the sight.

            “Because they don’t need it, Niall,” He said. “They don’t need it because all their life goals― or to put it in a better way, wishes, have been fulfilled. Think of it as a list. Sometimes mistakes happen too, and the wrong person is taken. It’s part of fate. But not everyone get’s another chance. A second chance..”

              “So… my second chance was basically Amber’s reincarnation?” I asked, stunned. Can you picture a popstar who had nothing else to think about other than singing, his family, friends and girlfriend, was suddenly trapped in this situation where he had to deal with weird paranormal or occult happenings? I never thought my life would be anything more than the things previously mentioned.

              “Yes.”

               “But doesn’t that require some kind of process. I mean excuse me if I’m not right because I’ve never dealt with all this stuff, but I don’t think reincarnation can be just.. done?” All that was left to do was sit down and make a fucking list because I just had so many unanswered questions.

                “It does, you’re right,” He nodded. “Typically rebirth is the birth of the same soul in a new body. Ninety percent of the human population doesn’t believe in this concept. Reincarnation just isn’t done and Amber’s case is one in a million. She wasn’t just reincarnated― her soul was sent back to her own body. The same one. She wasn’t born as a whole different person and that takes a sacrifice. A huge sacrifice.”

              “What kind of sacrifice?” I think I was clever enough to know that whatever sacrifice was done, was done by John himself. There’s no other way the whole funeral could be reversed and all evidence could be wiped out. It has to do with him.

            “Of a new life,” His face lost colour and his small smile faded. “Now many people have no belief over all this shit, as they call it, and maybe even you don’t. In some places of the world it’s said that a soul chooses it’s parents. To some extent it’s true. Sometimes that’s not the case. It all depends on the deeds you’ve done in your life. It’s not easy for me to explain this to you, Niall. For now, you won’t leave this place till you get your most important question answered― what exactly happened and where should you go next.”

            I was starting to get frustrated now, he was just pulling it too long and I didn’t have much patience in me anymore. Plus, this place was very suffocating. Even though it was vast, I felt like I was trapped in a box. The claustrophobia was kicking in more. “Then tell me already!” I groaned.

             “Some things you know and think have happened are visions― they never happened. They made you believe an entire different truth. Somewhat like memory implant chips or something, if you can say that. How do you think it was possible for Amber to get out from inside a damn coffin after she came back to life?” He huffed, but I was more than confused right now.

            “What do you mean?” I asked, a plain look on my face.

            “Don’t ask dumb questions, Niall. You know that you know the answer. Think with your heart, not your brain,” He said. “Now I must go, the apple juice is over,” He flashed the glass in the air, and then he was gone.

           “Niall?” He was there when I looked up, in front of me. “More apple juice, please?” I snatched the glass and angrily poured the beverage. I don’t know what he did to me but everything sort of froze after I asked him for juice, I think. I guess he induced a vision for me to see and well, instead of getting my answers, he left me even more confused than before.

          “I don’t remember ninety percent of the stuff you said,” I groaned.

          “You will, it’s like a dream. Sometimes you don’t remember it, but then later it strikes you like thunder.” He smiled, as though it didn’t affect him in any way.

           “Why can’t you be just clear and tell me every damn thing you know?” I pursed my lips, keeping myself from cursing even more.

             “It wouldn’t be fun then, would it?” His smug face was annoying and well look―here I was calling my girlfriend’s grandfather who was a ghost, annoying. “No but, seriously, I’ve told you before, Niall. I don’t want you to rush into stuff. Getting all your answers at once will just make you want to speed up things and it will ruin all your progress. And well, sometimes I genuinely don’t have answers to a few of your questions too, you know? I’m just Amber’s grandfather whom she lost at an early age. I don’t know anything about her except for the way she is with people. I can’t read her thoughts or anything.” He frowned.

          “You wish you could.” I guessed.

            “I do,”

         Well guess what? Time to start solving new mysteries again. As I started thinking of ways to solve this massive puzzle, the doorknob turned around and the door flashed open, revealing a dressed up Amber. That’s when I remembered that I completely forgot about the party we had for the completion of four years of One Direction.

          “Whom were you talking to you?” She asked, looking at me like I was crazy.

           “Uh… myself?” I said, unsure of any answer. I saw John shot me a look , and I really thought he wanted me to not tell the truth. Like, wouldn’t it be awkward if I told Amber that I was talking to her grandfather when she couldn’t see him? Scary even, maybe.

              “Weird,” She rolled her eyes and placed her bag on the counter. “And why the hell was the door opened? And why are you still in casuals?” When she sat down on the barstool right next to John, I couldn’t decide who to look at― her looking extremely ravishing or John looking elated.

              “I don’t know and I don’t know,” I chuckled. “But I’m going now, I’ll sort both out!” I threw my hands up in defense.

              “You better,” She sent a fake glare at me.

               “Yeah really, I’ll be done in ten,” I walked towards the door to shut it, not even remembering why it was open in the first place but right now it didn’t matter to me much. Other times I would have thanked my luck having left the door open and still no thief lurking in. “Because we don’t want to be late, since we’re going to drive there and be the best looking couple and finally tell everyone about it and then we’ll dance.” Sneaking up behind her, I softly kissed her cheek.

                “I’ll break you if you don’t start taking the route to your room, now,” I didn’t budge at all, standing there with the most sickly sweet smile ever. That was until I felt someone pull my ears and pry me away from her, while she watched me practically get dragged towards my room by John.

               “If you make me feel like I’m invisible next time,” He pointed at me. “I really will juice you, Horan.”

               I ran inside my room― genuinely worried for the Claytons. They’re always threatening people how they’ll break, juice or even kill them. While I know Amber can’t possibly break me, I’m starting to believe John can do what he wants so I better fucking get ready. You never know when that man’s serious and when he’s joking.

[A/N]:

       This like probably really confusing to you all but if you don't know about reincarnation and stuff just look up on google but beware it can be a bit... intimidating and can get you thinking for ours i guess. Anyway, i really hope this was good and all?? i also have some stuff to tell you guys.

       Uni starts on 19th (OH NOOOOOOO) and im shit scared bc im like dumb at making friends and all so wish me luck guysss. anyway, my schedule isn't as packed as i thought it would be. my classes start at 8:30 am which means i have to wake uo early GASP- but anyway, they end at 3:30 and thats a long time but it's okay since my uni is like.. behind my house lol. so after that i'll be free bc you know what fine art is basically no homework so i'll have all the rest of my time to invest in other things i like which includes wattpad YAY! so i don't think uni will be affecting my writing and updates as much so yeah :)

     LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THIS CHAPTER BTW K BYE (on the side is a manip of niall and amber i madeeeee)

-may

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

178K 4.1K 70
"Will you stay with me?" He asks as if he's unsure. I look him in the eyes and kiss his hand. "Always." I whisper. Book 1 Peeta loved her first and...
450K 10.4K 41
What if Katniss had fallen in love with Peeta? What if the night the Quell was Announced, Katniss ran to Peeta's house after talking to Haymitch inst...
853K 39.7K 61
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
22K 1K 30
BOOK 3 IN MSRA SERIES After waiting all summer to return to the academy and see her friends, Kathleen Whitmore returns to the academy to realize that...