Born of Death (Editing)

By JalissaPastorius

|COMPLETED| A young woman will plunge into a world of death and intrigue. There she must navigate the dark co... More

1: Welcome to the Abyss pt I
2. Welcome to the Abyss pt II
3. Who's Afraid of the Dark pt I
4. Who's Afraid of the Dark pt II
5. Pretend Date
6. Lurking Shadows
7. Dreams of Death
8. Absence of Light
9. Gateways of Death and the New Guy
10. Mirrors and Monsters
11. Phantoms and Mysterious Noise
12. Death's Ruling
13. Darklings
14. Magic 101
15. Binding Chains
16. Memoirs of the End
Chapter 17: The Death of Me
Chapter 18: Return of the King
Chapter 19: Whispers of Death and Moonlight Sonata
Chapter 20. The Evil in You
Chapter 21. Destruction of Bonds of Love
Prelude
22. Destroying Guardians
24. The Ball and the Creepy Queen
25. The Death Dance
26. Thrust into Darkness
27. Mirror Mirror on the Wall
28. My Beautiful Nightmare
29. Meet Me on the Otherside
30. Love After Death
31. Trickery of Light
32. The Light is my Enemy
33. Darklings in the Seedbed
34. Bleed for Me
35. Scream
36. Revelation
37. Bright and Mysterious Light
38. The Welkin
39. A Fool's Game
40. Into the Night
41. Shatter
42. A Familiar Face
44. Brothers.
EPILOGUE

23. Shrouded in Darkness

154 6 0
By JalissaPastorius

Please vote.

You will always be a monster- there is no turning back from it.

But what kind of monster you become is entirely up to you.

–Julie Kawaga, The Eternity Cure

Death studied the creature on the ground writhing in excruciating pain. His nostrils flared at the delicious scent permeating the air. He squatted near the body, watching the maggots he implanted inside, devour his flesh. They locked eyes and he frowned fascinated by the boy's glowing body. He supposed he wasn't really a boy—but a twenty-one-year old man. A child, compared to his existence. But all where mere flashes of memories, except his opposite, Life.

Thanatos' mind emptied, spotting the skulls images branded on the boy's retinas. Interesting. Dumu-mi bound this boy to her at the mere age of eight. And while he still had a physical form. His child was powerful. This boy was a guardian. Well, this put a wicked twist on things. The boy still had to die.

Bending at the waist, he trailed his fingers along the lines of his face staring boldly into his eyes. His fingers splayed out across his chest, hovering above his heart. Without a second thought, Death plunged his hands through Dominic's chest, silencing his heart. He grinned at the blankness in the boy's eyes.

He suspected Dominic bonded with his Dumu-mi the only way he could comprehend. And that was as her protector. Death was certain the powerful succubi blood in Dominic's bloodline played an important role in the relationship with his child. No matter. Scooping the limp man into his arms, Death stepped into the shadows of darkness.

☠️☠️☠️

"Son, you must make your engagement with her official. She needs to report before the council. I know that she has met certain members already, but the proper protocol is for her to meet each representative of the darkling species."

Cyriac kept his face blanket, his eyes sliding over his father's pleading ones. The pressure from the council made him irritable. And yet, the truth was he had yet to confront his father about the visions of the past. How did one approach a subject like that? More so, what happened to his mother!

"I understand father, but you know Rosalinda's safety is a priority. We don't want Thanatos upset."

"This is why it's imperative, she meets with each representative. They must be made aware of her existence—for her protection."

"No! Thanatos made it clear that her identity is to remain secret," he said, disagreeing vehemently.

"Then what are we going to do? You have staked your claim on the girl, but you've yet to complete the mating process? You don't have any no choice."

No choice? What was his father imply? He was King! He always had a choice!

"Or you do what?" he uttered, stepping closer to his father in a challenging fashion. They stood so close their noses touched. Anyone who was a threat to Rosalinda was a threat to him.

"Son, do you really want to risk it? Does Death know about the bindings locking the true you away? His voice was calm and deadly.

Cyriac's eyes locked onto his father's and he stared at something flashing within their depths. Would his own father sell him out to the Thanatos?

"Fine, she will meet with each representative. However, her identity is to remain confidential. If word gets out, it's your soul that's on the line. Nothing would stop him from eliminating the creature that put his child in danger," he said ominously, turning his back on his father and walking away.

"I'm sorry son, it's for the best."

He did not care for his apology. Instead, he hurried down the short hall toward the staircase. Checking on Abigor and Drac was paramount. He didn't want any loose ends. And he wanted to take thank them for aiding Rosa in her time of need. He opened the door staring at Abigor's flushed skin tone. A Cheshire grin stretched across his face, his eyes connecting with Drac.

"What do we have here? It's not every day I see a blushing demoness. You've done it Drac. When are you going to meet her father?" he said leaning against the doorframe. Cyriac's wicked grin broadened in seeing Drac pale three shades lighter. Abigor shot him a glare.

"What?" he said, raising his hands in defense. "It's nice to see a romance blossoming in this mist of chaos," he chortled backing out of the room. "Carry on," he laughed running away hearing the snarl from Abigor.

***

Ugh, she felt like she had been hit by a truck. Her mouth felt all nasty and her hair was matted and all over the place. Did people not realize how long it takes to get all this hair cleaned? At least the bed was soft. She stretched sitting up quickly, the memories bursting to the forefront of her mind. Dominic! What was her brother doing here? She scanned the room searching for him. Climbing slowly out of bed, she tested her strength. Just a little sore, nothing she couldn't muscle through. Moving towards the closest she grabbed some clothes impressed that they were her exact measurements. Only to blush, when she opened a drawer and spotted the panties and bras nestled inside. Eeeh! Her dad knew all her measurements! She screeched her way into the bathroom with embarrassment clawing at her insides.

Sinking into the large Jacuzzi tub, she closed her eyes letting the stress go and allowed her thoughts to roam. In fact, outside his title of King of Darklings, she knew next to nothing about Cyriac. There was so much going on, like discovering she was part of the entity of death, and discovering entire worlds exist outside of earth. And it disappointed her that there was so little time for romance. She wanted to be swept off her feet, and spend more cliché moments glowing about their relationship. Welp, she couldn't always have her cake and eat it too. It was time to see what exactly was going between Dominic and her father.

She sat in the great room with her father and Dominic sitting opposite of her. her thoughts strayed while she stared out the window. Rosalinda inhaled deeply, her nostrils flaring. Images of creatures in moments of fear surrounded by chaos flashed in the sky. The scene and smell were oddly intoxicating.

"A wonderful day we're having, Dumu-mi," Thanatos said locking eyes with his daughter. "The day I discovered you were mine, it rained broken dreams. In fact, I'd just set a wager with life."

"You're not quite off the hook father. How dare you strike your only child with a scythe," she huffed out, watching him move to sit next to her on the couch. Death frowned at the term father. He wanted to be called daddy again.

"No need to be upset, Dumu-mi. You are mine. I knew you would survive. The day of your birth, your cries called out to me." She stared in surprise. He was there?

"It's true. I discovered you with Rosalyn, except you weren't exactly alive and you weren't dead. When found you in spirit form, you were devouring the flesh of a demon. A low rank, but a demon nonetheless. I still remember his screams piercing quiet hall. Wonderful music to my ears," he said taking my hands into his own. "I couldn't be prouder until the night you fought me using your own strength, summoning your own scythe."

She studied her father from her peripherals and she couldn't resist the smile overtaking her face. Nothing felt better than knowing he was there for her. That he as her father protected her the moment she was born. Her eyes prickled and she felt tears forming at their corners. Overcome with emotion, she launched herself into his arms and buried her nose into his chest. Her dad loved her in his own twisted way. And maybe there was nothing twisted about it. It was just different.

"Would you like to see what happened all those years ago?" Thanatos asked, his eyes boring into hers. She nodded her acquiescence, and soon visions of the past flickered through her mind. Wow. Would she be able to do this one day? She frowned at the image of him in the hospital by her mother's side.

"You made a covenant with her? Why couldn't you just take me?" She hated suffering when she could've been in a loving home.

"In my own way, I cared for your mortal mother. She was the only woman that could resist my call and it intrigued me. A creature able to hold death, and not wither away," he said wistfully looking away. "This is the time to speaking with your guardian. He will bring you up to speed," Thanatos said after setting her down on the couch. Rosalinda watched his form fade slowly away. Did mom break his heart?

She shifted her focus to her brother. His hair was shorter than it used to be. And there was hardness about him that wasn't there before. What happened to him? Rosalinda held her breath as Dominic moved across the room. Even his movements were quiet and predator-like. He kneeled on one knee, his hand fixated in a fist across his heart. What on earth? She was certain in incredulity showed because reached forward touching the certain of her forehead, a small smile on his face.

Rosalinda's eyes widened in shock. The image of a human skull sat branded upon his retina. She shook, the memories exploding in her mind. Images of him dying at her side for taking a fatal blow for her.

"You stupid idiot!" she wept her nose burning. "Who told you to do that?" she cried, coughing overcome with emotion. It was like she was there again. Terrified. Desperate to save her brother and guilty because it was her fault this happened to him.

"Shh, I'm here now," he said pulling her into his arms, consoling his sister.

She always felt alone. That she didn't belong. T-that she was unlovable. And to think, she had a family, had people who loved her. A fuzzy warm feeling filled her and she sat content with herself and the world.

"Okay, you've definitely going to have to catch me up. What happened to Mom and Rachel?" she asked sitting back, wiping her eyes while Dominic gave her an unreadable expression.

"No more secrets, Dominic," she huffed out, running her hands through her hair. "Daddy!" Rosalinda exclaimed as her father reappeared. She scrunched her nose in suspicion. The time was incredibly good. Had he been listening?

"Dominic will enroll at Helvitti Academy. Since you look nothing alike, no one will suspect you're siblings. He is your shadow, Dumu-mi. You have bounded him for eternity, thus he is yours."

Wait, what?

"You both will report to me to continue your training. Dumu-mi, you will work on your offensive and your defensive skills with Dominic. I will arrange for a place for you to train. Now, both of you return to the academy. I have kept you long enough."

She stared at her father with so many questions brimming in her eyes. She was smart enough to know he wouldn't give her a straight answer, so she left it alone.

"Come on Dominic, I can't wait for you to meet Abigor," she said tugging on his arm and pulling him towards the door.

A/N:

Things are getting ready to pick up! What do you make of Rosalinda's history? Don't forget to hit that little button at the end of the chapter! XOXOXOXO

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

332K 16.9K 36
Athena has no one. Orphaned at the tender age of twelve, she doesn't want anything to do with the Color War; a decades long war being waged between...
2.2K 209 32
In a cursed realm, seven princes, embodiments of sin, seek a mortal to break their curse. When Ava enters their world, she becomes their last hope. T...
1.8K 645 31
A seemingly simple girl who has recently completed high school, turns 18 one night and wakes up to find out the whole truth about her family and thei...
2.7M 72.7K 20
"When I look into your eyes, I know where you've been, I know what you saw that night in the forest. I know what you are now." Scholars rule the empi...