Lone Wolf (EDITING)

By IolaJones

Cover by Ashtonlirwin Seren had a rough start. As a child, she was the runt of her pack before the system t... More

Solitude
Morning Run
The Warning
Dispute
Interrogation
Out the Window
Avoiding Fate
Tease
Not Asking
Shiver
Pizza
Cutting game
Decisions
Waffles
Bet
Blind
Dependent
Challenge
Either Way
Complications
A Pair of Pants
Dress for the Storm
Hollow Howl
Road to Nowhere
Saving Most
Dreaming
Unkillable
Deception
Broken
Ghost Story

Taunting

48.3K 2.1K 404
By IolaJones

For the next few days, Liam wordlessly escorted Seren to the cabin in the morning and back home at night, the only sounds between them were the faint scuffing of their paws on the ground and their breaths. Eyes stole secret glances across the fence cutting through the dirt. The nights she slept there, she had no doubt that he waited outside for most of the evening hours until he was sure she was not returning and then he was patiently waiting outside in the morning.

What she had not noticed, however, was that each day she unconsciously closed the distance between them as they traveled until she walked directly on the other side of the fence, so close that he could easily reach over and grab her if he were to take his skin form. It was as though some invisible thread was taught between them, slowly growing shorter and drawing her toward him like a moth to a flame. That was an ironic thought, considering the heat inside of her nearly burned through her willpower to remain steadfast in her plan to avoid him. Though she would vehemently deny it, his presence comforted her and she even felt safe in his giant shadow. No Gray Paw could touch her when he was beside her, nor any leering, drunk pack member with a knife that may come stumbling through the area unexpectedly. 

However, along with that protection came the intense desire to touch him, to see how it would feel to be in his aura, unencumbered by the barrier of wood and wire. She could sense that he was growing more and more irritated with the fence between them, though he had not said anything to her since she denied to give him what he wanted. 

At least she hadn't rejected him. Yet

Seren felt her stomach churn with butterflies when she saw the massive ebony wolf waiting for her as he had for the past week, almost scowling. As she closed the distance between them, his pupils would enlarge as his lungs filled with air that carried her scent. She could not know that he was fighting a raging battle within himself not to shred the damn fence and carry her off. But, his stormy mentation seemed to brighten when he saw her bounding toward him and made her nerves all the more on edge.

Though in her fur form, she was technically a predatory animal, she felt like prey to this male who looked at her with blatant hunger. Her instincts screamed that he would pounce at any moment.

Today, his statuesque demeanor nearly made her laugh and she moved closer, closer than she had before. White-tipped snout inched nearer and nearer to his as she leaned over the fence, a grin tugging at the corners of her mouth. Her heart thudded with adrenaline- she didn't know where this sudden and foolish bout of bravery had come from, but she was going to use it while it was there.

She could smell his warm, sweet breath and it nearly pulled her in. She wanted to feel that spark ignite when they touched, but knew it would be too dangerous. Seren looked into his eyes, seeing that they had darkened considerably and were looking down at her in both surprise and interest. Here, she was showing interest in him.

Suddenly, she leapt backwards and play bowed, spreading her front legs apart, snapping her jaws at him as her fluffy tail flipped back and forth. She hopped to the side and back again, laughing at him and he glared down at her, his lips pulling back over his teeth. He was not amused. 

Why don't you come over here and do that? His deep voice asked in her head, making her stop and shiver. 

In return, and only because the spurt of energy she had was not yet expended, she sprinted around in a circle, tucking her butt under like a fool as if to say, "Why don't you just make me?" She watch him stand and growl at her, his anger rolling over her and trying to subdue her with his dominance, but what could he really do? He couldn't touch her and they both knew it. Boy, he did not like being taunted. Any pack member who would dare to defy him and mock him would be on their back with their throat in his teeth.

She barked at him loudly, which only served to piss him off even more. His fur was bristling and she would bet money that no one had treated him like this before. 

She peeled away like a racecar at a starting line, sprinting as fast as she possibly could along the fence toward the cabin. It took him a moment, he was so surprised, but then he was galloping after her, taking chase. This was what it really was about. Seren had been dying to know if he was faster than her. She could hear him slowly catching up, his loud breaths sounded like they were coming out of a bull. 

As an alpha, he was faster and stronger than regular wolves, but, then again so was Seren. She didn't have all that muscle weighing her down, so even if he beat her in a short sprint, which he clearly seemed to be able to, she could hold her own over longer distances.

They were nose and nose now, Liam's anger gone and his competitive nature winning out as he pushed his body to beat the female half his size. If he could not win, how was he to impress her? Their muscles strained to keep going, dirt and dust flying behind them as they streaked along, covering the stretch of land in little more than a minute.

Seren had a burst left in her, could feel it, and so she let herself slow just a little and then a bit more, watching as the alpha raced past and circled beside the cabin, skidding to a stop. His eyes sparkled in victory and he was nearly smirking as he panted, bracing himself with his paws apart, winded. 

Seren wanted to smile, but kept it in check. His tail was wagging and he didn't even know! Without congratulating him, she trotted up to her cabin, panting lightly and nudged the towel around herself. She shifted and went inside, leaving him to gloat to himself. She tried to ignore how much the run had excited her, adrenaline like liquid gold still in her veins. Never had she had anyone to race with like that, to test her speed. It was exhilarating. 

She laid down on the bed, spreading out. The worst part was, the best parts of her days now were those spent walking or trotting with him. Not that she did not enjoy being alone as she always had, but she found his company pleasant. Though, it was his wolf form she liked, the silence they shared as animals was growing on her more and more, like solitude turned golden. It was his human form that made her body a mess of fear and desire, the one that spoke and commanded- not that his wolf didn't, but his wolf didn't have lips that could make her melt in a frenzy of fireworks or hands that could confine her or touch her intimately.

As wolves, they were free. She almost wanted to accept him as her mate, but only if they could stay wolves. Alone, there was no pack, just them. She sighed and crushed a pillow to her face. Now that she was floating down from her high, she could only wonder what she had been thinking. She had denied and then teased and challenged an alpha. Had that been a good idea? She should have just kept her head down and not acknowledged him, instead, she had given him attention and nearly touched him! Her nose tingled in response. 

Hopping up, she turned up the radio and danced while she worked on a painting, working the oil until her arms were stiff and her knees hurt. It was only three when she decided to go back to McGreggors to make him dinner. She was not surprised, although a little bummed to see that Liam was not there waiting for her with his signature stony and protective look. 

She locked up, shifted, and padded over to the fence, sitting down. Nose wiggling, she attempted to scent for him to see if he was on his way, but the wind was roaring along toward his home. Seren wondered why Liam, the alpha, was always there to walk her home. Surely he had more important things to do, like run a pack and boss them around. Why hadn't he sent Derrick or Kate to do it? He couldn't possibly enjoy her company. It was Liam after all, Mr. Almighty Alpha with no feelings.

Oh, I'm an alpha, raw raw raw, she thought. Do as I command or I will bite you with my big sharp teeth! Rawwrrrr! I'm the scariest thing out there! I get to choose who can walk where and I decide all the territories and have them patrolled religiously so I can be at peace knowing my dictatorship is safe! Raw raw raw. She stuck a paw out and waved it in the air. You! Pack slave! Go play the cutting game with those kids! You! Make me some...cereal. I want...Alpha O's. Hahahaha. And while you are at it...go...cut off some rogues' tails and...and...rub my feet...Raw raw raw.

Seren nearly shifted with fright when she turned her head to see if Liam was nearby, only to see that he was only a foot away, sitting quietly, watching her. He was just down wind enough she had not smelled him, but seeing as he was twice her size, his presence was more than intimidating. She took a few steps back. 

His eyes narrowed. He had heard her talking to herself and she never spoke to him.

Is this how you imagine me? His voice was low.

Yes, she growled right back, swallowing. The word would have been choked out of her skin side, but it was much easier to hide her expressions as a wolf.

You think me a tyrant? A dictator? What knowledge have you of my pack to make such accusations?

Seren felt her tail tuck as his teeth came out from behind his lips. 

You will come with me, now, little rogue. I will show you that we are not what you believe us to be and you will keep your tail, too.

Fine.

His flattened ears suddenly lifted in confusion and his blue eyes didn't seem so piercing. The hope in them was faint, but endearing. You will?

Race me back. If you win, I will go with you. If I win, you will not ask me again, she said, shaking her fur out.

But, I beat you last time?

Seren cocked her head to the side. That? I let you win.

There was a deep rumble in his chest. If you would like to think that, I will gladly accept your challenge.

Alright then. She turned sideways, facing the long path home and watched as he did the same. She hoped she had not been wrong earlier in assuming he was sprinting his fastest. This was a further distance, though. She was sure it would be harder for him. Seren crouched. 

Ready.....................Set..................GO!

They both launched forwards, their paw pads pounding on the ground, though making little noise. They were flying alongside one another, a sunny streak and a huge black shadow, flying out of the woods and across the open field. Seren saw him pull ahead slightly, but didn't mind because she had to save her energy for the last fifty meters.

Her body stretched to its longest, reaching out and pushing the ground behind her, her nimble legs working to outpace Liam's monstrous strides. She could feel his determination like a blanket on both of their minds, but knew hers was stronger. Her chest began to strain under the stress of her breathing, her back contracting like a cat's so she could lift her front legs and push them out again. Liam's breath had increased as well, huffing hard like a train chugging along its tracks.

There was McGreggor's house. Seren saw Liam's muscles bunch and move as he surged forward. It was time. She drew from that reserve she had kept, forcing her legs as fast as they could possibly go, turning it into an all or nothing sprint to the death. Gasping, she pushed forward to the alpha's flank and waited until they were a hundred feet from the house. Her bones felt like twigs that were going to snap at any moment from exertion, her muscles numbing with fatigue. She needed him to mess up, now.

He glanced back at her and she used that tiny moment to slip past him just enough so that they passed the house with her barely ahead of him by her skull alone. As they skidded to a halt, Liam tore at the earth with his claws, snarling loudly in sheer anger. 

 Seren stared at him, panting as hard as she could, though she could not get enough air in her lungs. Our deal, Alpha. You can't ask me to come to your pack house anymore. It's over. I don't...I don't want to be in your pack and I don't want a mate.

His roar ripped the air in two. She was treading dangerous water, but if she didn't she would certainly sink and drown. It was time to put the little façade they were keeping up to rest. He clearly thought otherwise. Entire body trembling, his broad chest shook with barely controlled rage, his eyes seeking to change her words with their force alone.

It's going to rain tomorrow, she said, shaking her head and looking away. I won't be going to the cabin so you don't have to come here. You don't have to come anymore, Alpha. Okay? 

You are not rejecting me, Seren. His muscles flexed as he tried to reign himself in from breaking the treaty. Seren felt the order move right through her bones. He had never said her name before and the weight of a command that had not been used on her since she was a child carried finality in it. 

She stared at him for a long time, his chest heaving up and down, this half-wild male was hell bent and determined in every way possible to get exactly what he wanted.

Not yet, she said, turning away. 

She had only taken a few steps with his thunderous voice rolled through her mind, telling her body what to do. Get back here!

Unable to defy the strength that controlled her bones and muscles, she stopped in her tracks and pivoted. Those fierce blue eyes drew her back to him like a pupetteer and that same wave of desired spiralled through her core at his nearness. She looked up at him, hating how badly she wanted to touch him and loathing herself for not being strong enough to spit in his face at the same time.

Or what!? Hmm? What will you do? Are you going to jump over that fence and give me a good thrashing like the Gray Paws did? Are you going to zip-tie my feet together and take me to your basement again?  You say that you will not harm me, but what reassurance do I have that you aren't going to pull out some silver and cut me up and down? You are no different than any other alpha. And I am NOT going with you unless I'm dead.

His eyes suddenly darkened to the color of the ocean during a midnight storm; something had snapped and reason was no longer there. She leapt back as his teeth closed down on the post of the fence and wrenched it from the earth, tearing the metal wires with a few hard rips and shattering the post in his jaws. He whipped the tangled mass behind him and turned his darkened gaze to her, nothing separating them now but a line drawn in the ground where the fence had been.

Seren's heart went into over time. Liam was going to do it. He was going to snap her up like those other wolves had, whip her from side to side and tear her hide open. Instantly, she shrank down, frozen in place by his stare, a few feet away from him. Adrenaline numbed her, her fear in the air, prepared for whatever pain would soon find her. Ears flattened, eyes closed in preparation, she fully expected him to step over the line, grab her by the scruff and haul her away right then But he didn't. His eyes lightened and then his features relaxed. 

Seren....don't....I'm.....I'm not going to hurt you, he said.

Slowly, she opened her eyes and saw him still standing in the same place, looking remorseful. Guilt tainted the air, but she was in no mood to forgive. Legs shook as she stood up. I don't believe you, she replied, spinning around. She stalked up onto the porch and took her towel in her mouth, tossing it over her shoulders as she shifted. She slammed the door behind her without looking back. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.2K 4K 28
1st, 2nd and 3rd place rankings in the Undiscovered Wolves Book of the Year' awards! Undiscovered Wolves September Book of the Month! ○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○...
107K 3.1K 38
Winter Whitefortis destined to be a great leader, a great alpha. When rejection sends her on a different path will she find a new purpose in life? Sh...
255K 6.9K 27
~In a world full of mythical creatures and other terrifying beasts~ **MATURE CONTENT** Alpha Layton Bailey, the alpha of WinterMoor. He's ruthless a...
5.5K 463 32
DARKNESS, the second instalment in the Marked Series. Won first place in the SNOWFLAKE AWARDS Werewolf category! UNDISCOVERED WOLVES Book of the Mont...