The Arrangement | ✔️

By Phunmito

Kayla Andrews was living a simple life even as the daughter of one of the richest men in the society, she sti... More

Author's note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Author's Note
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
NOT AN UPDATE!!!
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Epilogue
THANK YOU!!
Bonus Chapter 1
BOOK COVERS
WINNER!!

Chapter 8

169K 6.2K 1.2K
By Phunmito

I was reviewing one of the write-ups we got daily from those who were talented in the aspects of writing books which consisted of boring, interesting, confusing and sometimes intriguing stories.

Some annoyed me,some made me cry while some made me laugh but the best part of my job is reading the stories that makes you feel like you know what the writer is going through,some people tell their stories through their books and as interesting as it all is, I'm only allowed to approve one book out of the hundreds I get for each month.

Sometimes if I see a story that has potential but hasn't been well told, I could contact the person and we could help improve the story but even that had its own limit too.

I was deep into reading a book about a girl who was abandoned by her entire family at the age of 17 and after going through so many hardships and scaling through it, she was finally about to get her reward but now her family is back and apparently they have a plan that can be good for her.

I felt like this person was telling her story because the writer was obviously a girl,part of me wanted to reach out to the girl and talk to her but that was against work ethics and it could get me fired which would be bad because I was so close to getting promoted to head of my department which was a big deal for me.

I was suddenly interrupted by the beeping of my phone which alerted me that I had a message.

I looked at my screen and saw that it was a message from Cami.

Cami: Dinner tonight?

Me: Sure. What time?

Cami: 7. I'll pick you up

I didn't have a car yet. Yes! I was the daughter of one of the richest men in the country and I didn't have a car. I decided not to take my dad's money and I was about moving out when I got the news of my marriage so there really was no point again.

I planned on making a name for myself and making it on my own. I needed to prove to the world that I could do it.

Me: Okay thanks b! Burkley's right?

Cami: Yup

Me: Cami, what's wrong?

Cami: We'll find out over dinner😉

I dropped my phone and wondered what could be wrong. Burkley's was like our own safe haven. We went there when we were down, happy, sad, angry or any emotion at all.

It was like our personal therapy and we started going there when we were in College during the holidays and so it sort of became our place.

Cami saying we should meet up only meant something was up and I only hoped it wasn't that bad.

Around 6:45 I was done with the day so I packed up and waited for Cami to arrive.

To while away time, I spoke to Ted who kept telling about how much he was 'suffering' in the hands of his pregnant wife who had weird cravings.

My phone beeped alerting me that Cami was outside so saying a quick goodbye to Ted, I rushed outside to get onto the car with Cami.

The last time I made her wait with her car, she used the car horn to play different tunes and she defended herself saying she was making music.

Let's just say my boss wasn't happy that a certain lady was making a scene in front of his office.

I expected a crazy hug or something from my best friend but instead she just murmured a small hello to me and drove off and I had a feeling if I had let her stay outside longer, she wouldn't have made a scene.

Something was definitely wrong because she was usually the crazy one.

I knew she would tell me in time so I just let her drive us in a comfortable silence but silence only brought bad thoughts and I was suddenly reminded of the devil I was getting married to.

I hadn't spoken to him in since the engagement party and lucky for me,he hadn't come to my office to take me on one of his crazy dates. I did talk to Brandon once in a while but as usual,he was always stupid. He wouldn't be Brandon if he wasn't.

We finally arrived at Burkley's and Cami parked at our regular space and we also made it inside and sat in our regular booth. The word regular is used because we were regulars in the place. We ordered our usual ice-cream sundae because everything is better with Ice-cream for us.

Although they sold food in Burkley's,we mostly came here when we had problems because we were now busy with our lives and all.

Cami worked in a law firm and I worked in and editing firm. We were busy people but we were never busy for each other.

When our orders were placed in front of us. I stared at Cami who was sitting right in front of me and urged her to spill.

"Jake and I broke up." She said with a tired sigh.

"Wait...what!? How the hell did that happen when you guys were fine about a week ago."

"He was seeing someone else."

"And when did he tell you that?"

"Yesterday."

"Yesterday!? Fucking asshole! How dare he? A whole fucking week and he's just telling you that. You guys didn't exactly sit and talk the night he came back did you?" I asked knowing what they were doing the night of my engagement.

"It's fine May. Really." She said with her eyes facing the table and I knew she was trying hard not to cry. They had been dating for 4 years and it just ended like that.

"No it fucking isn't. You're hurt and that douche bag caused it. Where the hell is the asshole? He should better run because I'm gonna kill him when I see him!" I said angrily because nobody and I meant nobody messed with my best friend.

"Shut up May! We all know you can't even harm a fly." She said with a small smile.

"Of course I can, I'll just use my words to hurt it and boom! It's dead. Trust me Jake and a fly are just the same thing." I said with a careless shrug which caused her to laugh and I felt relieved that she was smiling.

"So how are you holding up?"

"I'm better than I was yesterday."

"That was a real shitty thing to do. How could he do that to you?"

"It was gonna happen sooner or later." She said with a shrug

"What do you mean?"

"We were falling apart May. We're two countries apart and not to mention time difference and work which makes us miss each other most times. We knew we were falling apart but we just didn't want to accept it but apparently he did because he moved on with someone else and there I was thinking it would last. I'm so stupid." she said and suddenly broke down in silent sobs. My heart went out to her and I quickly rushed to sit beside her.

"No hun, you're not. You're a beautiful,amazing and talented girl and any man would be lucky to have you. Jake just missed his chance and he has no idea what he just let go. He's he stupid one for cheating on you."

"But I love him." She said in between her sobs.

"I know babe but he doesn't deserve it anymore, he already left you and you know no guy deserves your tears,especially a cheat. Come on babe, I know you're stronger than that." I said hugging her while she let out her remaining tears on my shirt but I could care less.

My best friend needed me and I was gonna be there for her just like she was there for me two years ago.

She finally stopped crying and got up to freshen up in the bathroom. While she was gone,I got a picture of Brandon with his tongue down a random girl's throat but what made me burst out laughing was what he wrote under it.

You in for a three-some Kaybear. Or we could make it four if you decide to invite your future husband😉

I quickly replied with a short text saying he was out of his mind and set my phone down when Cami came back.

"You good?"

"I will be." She said with a smile but this time around, it wasn't fake.

"Alright then. Hurry with your ice-cream. The poor thing is melting already."

"I could always drink it."

"Then it wouldn't be ice-cream anymore."

"Why not?"

"Because it's now liquid you goof!"

"Your theories don't make sense sometimes but I'll just go with it." She said shoving her spoon into her mouth.

Just like that, the name Jake was forgotten and for the next two hours we just spoke about everything and nothing.

At that moment I realized how important it was to have a friend in your life, even if it was just one.

"So when is your wedding?"

"In about two months."

"Wow! You're really getting married."

"Yeah I am." I answered sadly and then all of a sudden my heart became heavy again. The thought always made my heart heavy.

"What's wrong?"

"Everything Cami! I'm scared."

"Of what?"

"A loveless marriage. Marriage was never a part of my 5 year plan and then all of a sudden I'm getting married to a total stranger. I don't want to marry someone I'm not in love with."

"You could always fall in love eventually."

"Jason hates me. That can never happen."

"But do you hate him? And I don't think he even hates you."

"He makes me hate him. He's just so harsh and rude and I hate the way he regards me like some sort of dirty rag he picked from the streets."

"I think you're capable of putting him in his place. We all know how you get when you're mad."

"I'm not that scary."

"Yes you are. Even Drayton gets so scared and for someone who isn't scared of even your father, that says a lot."

I just rolled my eyes and paid for the bill and we got up.

"You didn't have to do that you know? I made us come out."

"Please Cami! We have other days to come here, you can pay then and trust me, it'll be when I'm hungry." I said with a wink and got into the car while she went over to the driver's seat.

"So how's Jason?"

"I have no idea. I haven't spoken to him since the engagement party."

"And he hasn't called?"

"Nope. I don't expect him to anyway so-that's that."

She was about to stay something when my phone rang and I saw an unknown number. I waited awhile then picked it but waited for the person on the other end to talk.

"Hello." A deep voice said and it sounded weirdly familiar but I wasn't sure where I'd heard it from.

"Hi. Please who's on the line?"

"You don't have my number?"

"Considering I don't know who I'm talking to, that's a huge no."

"Wow Hazel! To think we're getting married in two months." The mention of the name 'Hazel' felt like a bucket of ice was poured on my head.

Speak of the devil.

"What do you want?" I asked in an annoyed tone.

"Why didn't you save my number?" He asked evading my question

"I didn't see the need to. Now what do you want?"

"Doesn't the fact that we're getting married in two months give you a need to?"

"Nope. Not really. Now what the hell do you want?" I asked in a harsher tone but I could care less.

From the my side eye, I could tell Cami desperately wanted to know who I was talking to and true to my words, when I turned to look at her, she was mouthing the words 'who is it?' to me and when I told her, she made an 'o' shape with her mouth before wiggling her eyebrows and I gave her a death glare before returning to the conversation.

"You need to attend an event with me."

"No." I said in a bored tone

"What did you just say?"

"No."

"You can't tell me no."

"I can, I will and I sure as hell just did. Goodnight." I hung up before he could say anything again and I refused to look at Cami because I knew what she would say.

She was about to talk when the phone rang again. I picked it up and let out a bored hello again.

"Did you just hang up on me?"

"I don't know Einstein. Figure it out." I said and hung up again and this time around, Cami let out an amused laugh.

"You're pissing him off."

"I honestly couldn't care less." I answered with a shrug.

My phone rang again and I picked it up and just stared at the familiar line of houses which made me know we were getting close to my place.

"How dare you hang up on me?" I heard him say through the phone which just made me hang up again.

Once again, my phone rang again and this time around when I picked up, he said something different.

"If you hang up on me one more time, you're going to be punished." I got confused for a second but I didn't see how he could reach me so I just hung up again and smiled to myself.

My smile soon faded as soon as I saw who was parked in front of out gate when Cami stopped.

Well shit!

I'm so sleepy right now because I have a bad cough and the drug I used is making me drowsy but I knew I had to write something because I literally just punished myself for the sake of y'all. I already started the chapter after this one but I'm not done so I'll probably update tomorrow.

Anyway its all good. One chapter down, two more chapters and five days to go!

Thanks for reading and don't forget to click on the little star at the bottom of your screen and leave your comments(as positive as possible please)but constructive criticism is allowed.💋💋💋💋💋

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

412K 14K 50
#2 in triangle #3 in charming #10 in past #20 in dominating #47 in arrogant (Highest rankings) "I love you!" I said in desperation. "Really?" He...
584K 14.9K 42
I looked at his eyes and put up a strong face. His eyes bore into mine as much as mine into his. It was like he could read my mind and reach out to m...
184K 7.2K 60
Hayden Adrian Costello, aka Adrian Costello, the billionaire bad boy who has always gotten everything he wants with ease. With a silver spoon in his...
474K 17.5K 28
Arranged marriage? In this day and age? Seriously? That's the proposition Elizabeth Westville, a young beautiful heiress, has to face in order to bri...