Your Crucible | Peaky Blinders

By mphee_bs

Y O U R C R U C I B L E "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you're dead... More

The Thornes
Part I
Chapter One ~ 1919
Chapter Two ~ The Specials
Chapter Three ~ Singing
Chapter Four ~ Plans
Chapter Five ~ Who
Chapter Six ~ Billy Kimber
Chapter Seven ~ The Races
Chapter Eight ~ Right And Wrong
Chapter Nine ~ Love
Chapter Ten ~ The Wedding
Chapter Eleven ~ Betrayal
Chapter Twelve ~ Hurt
Chapter Thirteen ~ Punches
Chapter Fourteen ~ To Be A Blinder
Chapter Fifteen ~ Intuition
Chapter Sixteen ~ Kimber's Men
Part II
Chapter Seventeen ~ 1921
Chapter Eighteen ~ London
Chapter Nineteen ~ The Reopening
Chapter Twenty ~ Michael Gray
Chapter Twenty-One ~ Complicated
Chapter Twenty-Two ~ Absence of Common Sense
Chapter Twenty-Three ~ To Act Accordingly
Chapter Twenty-Four ~ May
Chapter Twenty-Five ~ Collateral Damage
Chapter Twenty-Six ~ The Arrests
Chapter Twenty-Seven ~ Confessions
Chapter Twenty-Eight ~ Completely
Chapter Thirty ~ Surprise
Part III
Chapter Thirty-One ~ 1924
Chapter Thirty-Two ~ Snow
Chapter Thirty-Three ~ The Changretta's
Chapter Thirty-Four ~ Taken
Chapter Thirty-Five ~ Cursed
Chapter Thirty-Six ~ The Trophy Wives
Chapter Thirty-Seven ~ Separation
Chapter Thirty-Eight ~ The Escape
Chapter Thirty-Nine ~ Reunited
Chapter Forty ~ Reconciliation
Chapter Forty-One ~ Isolation
Chapter Forty-Two ~ Confessions
Chapter Forty-Three ~ Picnic in the Park

Chapter Twenty-Nine ~ The Derby Races

1.4K 31 1
By mphee_bs

Chapter Twenty-Nine
The Derby Races

"Let it burn"

It's Derby day. Tommy's voice was going in circles round Lottie's mind as she sat in front of her mirror, fitting her hat atop her auburn curls. He was going to kill a man, a Field Marshall. Campbell, under the crowns order, (not that he needed any persuading) was forcing him to do it. Lottie had to turn away from Tommy when he told of her of his chances surviving. He had stared at her with his unblinking bright blue eyes and she had stared right back. "You'll find a way out, though," Lottie had said to him.

"I'm going to try," Tommy replied.

Lottie nodded, biting her lip. This man that stood in front of her, she had known him for all her life. He was always around, her protector, the one who had helped her through whatever life had thrown at her. Tommy clearly was caught off guard when she had thrown her arms around his shoulders. He did react though. After a moments pause, he relaxed and held her close to his chest. Lottie never really knew how to define Tommy; she loved him, she knew that. But was he her best friend? A brother to her? Her protector? Guardian angel? All these things all at once? As a teenager, she'd had feelings for him, but that had much subsided since the war; events during that time had made her distracted with all things concerning love. She hadn't even thought about her old feelings for the man she was hugging in many years. All she knew I that moment is that she couldn't bear to lose him. He cannot die on her. It was against the rules.

True, Tommy's chances had been increased after he instructed John to blow up the Marshall's house in Belgravia, but it was still slim. Lottie slid her deep red lipstick across her lips as she stared at her reflection. She knew what she was to do. She knew that Arthur was going to be saved. But before she could leave to meet the others, she had one last thing to do before she was to go to the betting room to meet with the others.

The sound of her heels echoed down the hall as she made her way through Tommy's offices. Lizzie was just leaving as she arrived, she looked beautiful. Lottie frowned slightly, confused. "Are you alright?" She asked.

"I'm not sure," said Lizzie, shaking her head slightly. "Tommy's never asked me to go to an event like this before."

"You'll be fine," said Lottie as comfortingly as she could. "I'm sure he just wants to thank you for being such a help."

She nodded. "Yes," she said, "I'm sure that's it." Lizzie then looked at Lottie, tilting her head to the side. "Why are you here?"

"Oh," Lottie mumbled. "I'm here to see Michael."

Lizzie smiled knowingly at her. "Enjoy," she said. "Goodbye."

Lottie rolled her eyes. "Thanks."

Lizzie swirled off in her fancy dress and Lottie sighed, pressing her lips together, and opened the door. Butterflies burst and began flying around in her stomach as she neared Michael's desk. He was sitting, his head down, scanning documents with his piercing grey eyes. Lottie stopped about a metre away from him. "Hello."

Michael's head instantly perked up, a smile forming on his lips as his eyes landed on her. She liked that she had that reaction. She couldn't prevent her own smile emerging across her red lips. "Hello," he replied, putting down his pen. "What are you doing here?"

Lottie looked down at her shoes. "I know Polly wants you to go."

Michael clenched his jaw and shook his head. "I don't have to do what she wants."

"I bet she loved it when you told her that," she teased.

He laughed, standing up from his chair. "I think she damned me straight to hell with her eyes."

"Oh, I know that look."

"Aren't you going to try to convince me to stay?" He asked, his eyes analysing her.

"No," said Lottie cooly, walking towards him. "No, I'm not."

He looked down and furrowed his brow. "You want me to leave?"

She smiled. "No, I don't." She sighed. "I want you to make your own choice. Go back to the country, like Polly wants, if that's what you want, or stay. Thing is, it's your life. Fuck what anyone else says. You're going to be the one to live with your decision, so why make one that'll make you miserable for the rest of your life." She stepped closer to where he was leaning against his desk. She lifted her hands to rest on his shoulders then slowly moved them up his neck, up to his cheeks where she caressed his cheekbones. She wanted to remember everything, every part of his face, his lips, his eyes. "But just in case," she murmured, their faces close to each other.

He lifted his own hands to rest on her waist, pulling her closer to him. He tilted his face so their lips brushed against each other's.

Lottie bowed her head and then looked deeply into his grey eyes. "Just in case you do decide to go..." she closed her eyes, "this is for you." Then, she closed the gap between them and kissed him softly but powerfully. He instantly reacted and pulled her closer to him, their bodies pressing against each other tightly. He stood up from where he was leaning on the desk and lifted one of his hands to her face and the other to the small of her back.

Out of breath, Lottie broke away from him. For a moment, they stayed there, their foreheads resting against each other, their heavy breaths the only sound. They smiled. "I thought you weren't trying to convince me to stay," he joked.

She chuckled and kissed him once more. "I've got to go," she whispered. She went to step away, but he held her close.

"I've made my decision," he said.

"Don't tell me," she said, smiling at him. "I want it to be a surprise." With that, she kissed his cheek and walked away, looking back at him one last time as she closed the door behind her.

***

At the betting room, John finished locking up the rooms as the rest crowded together. Finn stood to the side, excited that he was to be going with them. Lottie playfully elbowed him as she entered. "There you are," he said.

"Had something to do, but it's sorted. You all ready?"

Finn nodded. John came to the font of the group and shouted in a loud booming voice, "Who. Are. We!"

"Small Heath Rifles!" The men shouted in response.

"Let's go!" John ordered. Smiling, he put an arm around his younger brother, his eyes landing on Lottie. She smiled widely at him, which he returned. Slamming the door behind them, they all exited and piled into their designated motors. Johnny Dogs was waiting for her. She greeted him with a quick hug before climbing in next to him. "You ready?" He asked.

"Always," she smiled before she waved goodbye to Maxim who was staying with John.

She and Johnny Dogs were driving straight to the jail Arthur was being kept in. Once parked, Lottie got out, and waited excitedly, staring at the door Arthur would be coming out through. It wasn't long they had to wait when the door opened and emerged a scruffy looking Arthur.

"Lottie!" He cheered.

"Hello, Arthur," she beamed, rushing over to him, practically jumping on the man, wrapping her arms around his shoulders. "I told you to be careful," she joked.

"Oh, shut up," he said chuckling. He looked to the car. "And bloody Johnny Dogs!"

"Get on in," said Lottie. "We need to take you to a telephone. You need to make a call. It's all part of Tommy's plan."

"Apparently," added Johnny.

"You just need to phone Tommy to let him know that you're out," she explained, "and then he'll meet us with the others."

Arthur nodded. "Right then, let's move."

Igniting the engine, Johnny Dogs drove them to the next phone box and called the number Lottie gave him. Within three sentences it was done. Arthur put down the phone and looked at Lottie. "Where is Tommy?" He asked.

She bit her lip. "Alfie's."

"That fucking-"

"It's alright, Arthur," she exclaimed, raising her arms to put on his shoulders. "Tommy's giving him an ultimatum, death or a beneficial deal in trading, an alliance." She paused. "Properly this time. On paper. It's all part of the plan to take out Sabini."

Arthur didn't say anything, his chest heaving, but he nodded and pulled down his cap.

"Right," said Lottie. She turned back round to Johnny. "Let's go meet the others."

"Yes, ma'am."

She rolled her eyes at the gypsy and they got back into the car. The others, led by John, were waiting by the side of the road, some of them relieving themselves by the fences. Lottie looked away in disgust. Once the car had stopped, John walked around and held out his hand for her. She looked between him and the men and said under her breath, "Sometimes, I think what some of the things people say aren't that wrong."

John followed her gaze and laughed.

They didn't have to wait too long before Tommy arrived, walking over, his coat blowing one the wind behind him, looking like a proper gangster. She smirked. "You're late," said John, looking at his watch.

"Please, I had business," said Tommy, joining them.

Arthur opened his arms ready to engulf his brother in an embrace. True, he was annoyed about the alliance with Alfie, but he was free, spared from the rope. "How did you get me out of that?" He asked.

"I need you today, brother," said Tommy simply. "We pulled some strings. You alright?"

"I am now," nodded Arthur.

John lowered his head. "So, Arthur's back in charge now?"

"He's in charge of you," replied Tommy, "and you're both in charge of him," he added looking at Finn. "Lookout duties only today," he said firmly.

Finn sighed angrily. "Tom, I'm getting sick of this-"

"Finn, you don't obey orders, you don't come."

The youngest Shelby bowed in head in defeat.

Tommy's gaze then landed on Johnny. "Johnny Dogs."

"Tommy."

"Your boys will meet us there?" He asked.

"Well, the Lees will be there, captain."

Tommy paused. "'Captain'?"

He shrugged smiling. "I've promoted you. Well, the boys say that you're no longer like a sergeant major. Fucking those rich women and using those fancy words. I'd say you're more like a captain these days."

"Fine, well, I'll take it as a compliment," said Tommy. "Just don't bloody shoot me. Let's go to the Derby, boys."

"Alright, then!" Commanded Arthur. "Light them up!"

Lottie followed Tommy round the front of the motor. "Tommy," she called out. "What is it you want me to do?"

He raised a hand to her arm. "You're to stay with Arthur, make sure he's alright."

"Why am I still sensing there's something you're not telling me," she said darkly.

He looked away. "Sometimes I wouldn't be surprised if there was some gypsy blood in you." He sighed. "I want you to stay away from me today. I can't have anyone at risk."

"But I want to help keep you safe," she argued.

"That's exactly why I'm keeping you with Arthur, Lottie. I promised your brother I'd keep you safe."

Without letting her respond, he turned and got into the car, shutting the door. Maxim appeared at her side. "Come on, Lottie," he said, pulling her by the elbow. Lottie only stared at the car Tommy disappeared inside, fear swelling inside her gut. Once everyone was in either of the two cars, they were driven to a field near Epsom, waiting to hear Tommy's speech.

"Gentlemen, and lady, today we are not fucking about," he began. "I hope you've all obeyed instructions and brought loaded firearms with you." There was a general unison of 'yes' before he continued. "Very good. You will all know that if you are lifted on a racetrack these days with a loaded weapon, you get twenty years. That's all right. Today you won't get lifted. Because, today, there will be no coppers around to lift you. At exactly three o'clock, there will be an incident in the owners enclosure and all the coppers in the track will be diverted, all of them. They will be looking for someone. You will be free to operate at will."

"Looking for who?" Questioned Arthur.

"Me," replied Tommy. "They will be looking for me. Now, while the coppers are busy with me, you will make your move on Sabini's pitches. You confiscate his takings, you destroy his licenses and you do it at gunpoint. He usually has police protection so he won't be armed. We should aim to complete the takeover without a shot being fired, understood? And remember, the licenses are more important than the takings. Alright." Tommy jumped off the hood of the car. "Before the fun begins, you can all lay ten bob on Nom De Guerre. I hear she's going to win."

They all cheered, their weapons up. John took Tommy's pouch and walked round them all collected their coins.

"Only beer before hand, boys," added Tommy. "There will be plenty of time for rum and whiskey after. And remember, do not make a move until three when the coppers leave. That is all."

As Tommy sauntered off, John rallied the men, organising them. Lottie stood beside Maxim and Nic as Nic handed her a gun from his belt. He gave her a concerned look. She noticed and shrugged discreetly, tilting her head towards him to say in a low voice, "I feel like this is going to change everything. I have a bad feeling."

"A bad feeling?" Nic repeated, his brow furrowing.

Lottie nodded. "I'm not sure what's going to happen today, but I think that whatever the outcome, we're going to be dealing with the consequences, for better or for worse, for a long time to come." The as fear began to spread across her heart like a frost, she muttered, "I hate London."

A/n
Sorry for the really slow updates! Life is really busy at the moment but I hope everyone's doing well :))
I hope you enjoyed the chapter and I aim to update again in a couple days and then we'll be onto the next series! eee exciting. there's so much in store. anyway - please vote, comment your thoughts and everything and I hope you're all having a good day!

published: 11/12/2021

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89.9K 2.1K 19
What would happen if Polly's daughter had survived rather than her son? What would happen if Michael wasn't a Shelby but instead fell for one? - Mich...
8K 246 15
Wren Ashby, raised in the shadow of her rebellious older sister, is a good girl. She does as she's told and gives nobody any trouble, polite to a fau...
144K 3.8K 31
As kids, they'd been convinced they'd hate each other forever. But when Bryce's life began to fall apart at the seams, Tommy was always trying to pie...
11.7K 213 26
Amelia's fear begins when she realizes the darkness within her family. She has always wanted to be part of the gang, Peaky Blinders, but now she is n...