Green Lantern's Protégée

By TheSpiffyWriter

Hal Jordan, one of the Green Lanterns and member of the Justice League, was chosen long ago by a cosmic ring... More

Foreword
1: "Thank god he left that stupid hat."
2: "We're the luckiest idiots in the whole galaxy!"
3: "Because you're not a Green Lantern."
4: "There is no such thing as too many s'mores."
5: "Cult? Like, Shark Bait oh-ah-ha?"
6: "That's male genitals in a sweatshirt."
7: "Pretend I was violently assaulted by a rabid squirrel."
8: "Unless by hot-headed you mean I'm hot, then yeah I am!"
9: "Oh, I didn't tell you? I'm a Green Lantern."
10: "Toto, I don't think we're in Nevada anymore!"
11: "I swear, I will kick you out of space one day!"
12: "What happened to your ear?"
13: "I'll make sure to invite you to my birthday party!"
14: "So Shere Khan and Dumbo walked into a bar."
15: "You got me. It is I-Batman."
16: "How 'bout Count Verti-no!"
17: "If Cyra was there, then you would probably be doing something destructive."
18: "Bow to your new queen!"
19: "I knew I shouldn't have shown up today."
20: "Trust me, I'm as mentally stable as you can get."
21: "NINETY-EIGHT BOTTLES OF MILK ON THE WALL!"
22: "What's wrong with saying 'dude'?"
23: "Mood."
25: "Good thing I wasn't probed."
26: "Looks like capitalist greed is universal."
27: "Did I just make Wally West speechless?"
28: "There's a less chance of the house being destroyed when Cyra's not in it."
29: "Cyra is like a raccoon."
30: "Walt Disney is haunting me."
31: "I'm not hungry. My stomach is full of deceit."
32: "Are you here about the five dollar large pizzas?"
33: "Aww, teenagers' quarrel."
34: "Superboy would treat me better than this."
35: "What? No 'welcome home, dad'?"
36: "What type of knight would I be if I puked on my princess?"
37: "Why didn't you hit me first? I feel insulted."
38: "Where's my goodnight kiss?"
39: "My mom always said that I'd end up at the circus."
40: "Clowns always deserve to get punched."
41: "The Big Bang I"
42: "The Big Bang Part II"
43: "I am the mole."
44: "Well, Team, we got some heroes to beat up."
"In the brightest day, in the blackest night."
Final Note
Q and A
Release Date and Title Reveal
SPECIAL: Charlie's Story
RELEASED!

24: "Did anyone bring the catnip?"

4.3K 207 110
By TheSpiffyWriter

Mount Justice

November 5, 19:47 EDT

"Did you get everything?"

"Everything on your list, Batman. Plus, groceries," M'gann said as she floated in two boxes and set a crate down on the floor. Cyra and Conner were lugging out large crates full of supplies, Cyra moving them around with her ring easily.

"Cookie Fixins?" Wally sped in. He began to search through the crate like a bloodhound.

"Snickerdoodles," M'gann confirmed.

"Baby, you rock my world."

Cyra rolled her eye as she took out the last box. "That's all of them," she yawned. Kaldur and Conner began to cut open the stacked crates.

"Why are you so tired? You barely did anything," Wally exclaimed.

"You didn't do anything at all!" Cyra pointed out.

She had yet to tell the Team about the whole Manhunter incident. Even though she completely rocked it and totally wanted to brag about her amazing Jaws construct, it never came up. Hal and herself were still searching for whoever this wanted fugitive may be. Cyra, for once, couldn't wait until the school was back up and running, so she could discover which teachers didn't show up or which students were missing limbs. Not to mention, Batman seemed to be around more than usual and she didn't want a lecture from her on how she could have handled it better.

Her phone suddenly buzzed in the pocket of her jeans. She fished it out and looked down at the screen—NOTIFICATION FROM Charlie.

Cyra quickly swiped her phone open. The two have been talking back and forth ever since the school was exploded. Cyra wondered at first if he was all right and that he wasn't in the school when it went down. It would be odd if he was but Cyra didn't know the sports schedule.

His message read: Hey, are you up for hanging out tonight? Around 8?

Cyra didn't even notice the stupid grin that shined on her face as she typed back a yes and that she would see him then. Wally caught sight of the look and narrowed his eyes. Cyra rarely texted. She talked enough that she didn't need to. Wally sprinted over in a blur, snatching Cyra's phone out of her hands and causing her to yelp, "Hey!"

"Hey!" Wally mocked as he began to search down the phone. "Who's Charlie?" He smirked. His eyebrows suddenly twitched together in recognition before he shook off the feeling. He began to scroll up and read the texts aloud, "Charlie says: Can't wait to see you again at school. Shame it was destroyed. Then you say: Yeah, really weird. He then asks you out and you say no became you have homework. That was on Halloween. Ha, you ditched him to come to hang out with us!" Wally sang.

"Give that back, you ginger!" Cyra asked, trying to jump to reach the phone that Wally dangled above her head.

Cyra flew up and caught his wrist. She struggled to wrestle the phone from his good hand as she tried flying backward, just taking Wally off his feet.

"Woah!" He exclaimed. Cyra smirked before she started to spin the two, Wally turning into a mere blur before he let go and fell onto his butt, eliciting a groan. Cyra was laughing as Wally got back up to his feet. Suddenly, he was right next to her and wrapped his arms around her shoulders. "You're going to pay for that one," he promised as he began to squeeze her laughing form.

The elevator doors slid open and Artemis's voice cut through the air, "Glad your back, Zatanna. Does this mean you're officially joining the team?"

Wally instantly dropped Cyra, who slipped back and Wally just managed to grab her hand before her skull hit the ground and pull her back to her feet.

"I don't know," Zatanna admitted. "Zatara's so overprotective. Just getting me to visit takes a full day's wheedling. I wish he'd just give me a little space—DAD!"

Cyra turned just in time to see Zatara turn to golden dust and disappear. Batman and Red Tornado followed, dropping the crate they were holding up and it broke all over the floor.

Cyra quickly texted to Charlie: Actually, I don't think I'll make it. Something popped up.

Green Lantern struck across the sky like green lightning. There was no contact with neither of the older Lanterns. Cyra assumed they disappeared with the rest of the adults. Back in Happy Harbor and the surrounding cities, the Team was bringing kids to the local high school gym for safe keeping and trying to make it so they didn't completely destroy the world while the adults are AWOL.

She pushed harder through the sky until she neared Coast City. She had to help a little girl out of the car and put her in the care of her older sister. Then, she had to save a group of teenage boys from getting into a car accident when their bus driver vanished. Multiple children could be heard crying from inside their houses and teens in hoods wrote obscene things on buildings.

There was too much to do. Cyra could only imagine how many other cities were like this. But she had her own mission.

The Green Lantern peeked through the window of a two-story house. She caught sight of her sister, Alexa, holding Sam, a one-year-old boy who was crying. She was on the phone, talking wildly. Looking down at her own phone, Cyra noticed multiple miss calls from her and her other siblings. She only assumed that her mother was also missing. Cyra let out a sigh, her heart fighting her as she shot a text that she was alright before stuffing her phone back into the pocket on the Green Lantern uniform and taking back off to the sky. At least they are safe, she thought.

"Robin to Green Lantern," Robin's voice buzzed in her ear, "how's the rest of the world looking?"

"Same as Happy Harbor. All parents are gone and everyone is either freaking out or taking full advantage. I passed at least twenty raging parties on the way here. How're things over there?"

"Kid Flash, Artemis, Superboy, and Miss Martian are trying to clean up Happy Harbor, but there is just so many. We have no connection to the Watchtower, Hall of Justice, or any adult hero. Not even Red Arrow."

"So, what's the plan? We don't have enough help and the world is too full of dumb people to do it on their own. We have to gain control."

"I think I have a plan for that." Cyra could hear Robin's smirk.

She mimicked him. "On my way."

"Attention, children and teenagers of Earth, I am Aqualad. There are my friends, Robin, Kid Flash, and Green Lantern."

The other heroes stood behind him—friendly faces of their own teenage heroes that they know and love. Cyra was attempting a bright grim despite the dark occasion.

"We are using Justice League tech to cast and stream this message to every TV, radio, computer, and smartphone on the planet," Robin said.

"We know you must be scared and angry. We know that there is a temptation with your parents missing to run wild, but please, stay calm," Wally said, sounding more serious that Cyra has ever heard him.

"The adults are gone." Cyra's arms were crossed. "We are working to get them back, but you're going to have to help us out. The oldest has to step up because for right now, you're the new adults on Earth. We wouldn't want this place to be reduced to rubble and flames when the adults come back, now do we?"

"Take care of your younger siblings. Take care of those who have no one," Robin said, the last part gently.

"Protect them," Wally added.

"Fight for them," Cyra said with a sneer of sorts.

"It is up to you," Aqualad said, "Please, help in any way you can."

Green Lantern stepped forward. From all around the world and every language, kids were listening. The students in Happy Harbor and her own family in Coast City was seeing her face—even if they didn't know the person behind it, but they didn't have to. Only listen to what she had to say.

"I know your all young—we all are. You've been told what to do and been taught how to do things your whole life. You've probably made mistakes and you don't know how to do these things we are asking of you, but you have to. This is something you can't mess up on. Starting now—your all Earth's new heroes."

Cyra walked in on Wally, starring on the Helmet of Fate on the speedster's wall of souvenirs. That one object always made Cyra feel an ache deep inside of her chest.

He seemed to be having a moment to himself, but Cyra took in a deep breath and spoke anyway, "Aqualad got through to Atlantis. No word from any adults there either."

"So . . . just how desperate are we?" Wally looked to the golden magical helmet sitting on its shelf. "I mean, this thing could definitely come in handy."

"But if someone puts on that Helmet, Nabu might not let them go," Cyra said with a tilt of her head. "We've lost enough people already to lose one more."

"Not that desperate yet, then?"

"Not yet," Cyra confirmed before looking back to Wally. "You know, you could always slip away to go see if your parents are still there. Maybe this whole spell had a fluke and—"

Wally shook his head. "No. I've saved too many kids today just to see another empty house. What about you? What's up with your family in Coast City."

"All my older siblings are there to take care of the younglings. My mom—my mom's gone," Cyra said, having to force the words up her throat.

Wally frowned. "What about your dad."

"He's gone too," Cyra said blankly.

"Cyra, I'm sorry," Wally said. He wrapped his arms around Cyra's shoulder and pulled her into a hug. She hugged him back closely and buried her nose into his neck. He smelled like cookies.

"It's alright. We'll get them back with the others. I just wish I could be with my siblings. They've been calling nonstop," Cyra admitted, letting go of Wally's tight grip, her hands still on his chest. "As much as I would love the idea of all the parents being gone and go wild—this really sucks."

Wally laughed, but it was more for Cyra than for him.

"Guys?" A voice asked from in the doorway and Cyra let her hands fall to face Zatanna, who was looking between them as if she knew she interrupted something personal. "I-I'm ready to try my father's locator spell."

The Green Lantern and Kid Flash followed her back into the main cave, Zatanna walking a few paces ahead of her as she seemed to be peppering herself up to do the spell. The rest of the Team stood in the Cave.

Zatanna took in a deep breath before raising her arms and a thin wand at the large holographic globe that floated in front of her. "Etacol retnecipe fo yrecros!"

A red dot appeared on the map. Cyra recognized it as the eastern United States.

"Coordinates locked. Roanoke Island. You did it," Robin said to Zatanna, but she didn't look to be much in a celebrating mood.

Suddenly, a blue flash of lightning exploded beside Cyra, making her jump back with a yelp. A little boy with black hair and a red jacket appeared in the cave. "It worked!" He cried victoriously.

"Where did you come from?" Aqualad demanded as the Team was suddenly on high alert about the boy who just appeared. "Who are you?"

"Holy—how did you do that?" Cyra asked, brushing herself down to make sure she wasn't on fire. She wasn't.

"Quick, read my mind!" The boy said to Miss Martian.

Without asking how he knew about her or her abilities, Miss Martian's eyes glowed green for a moment before the Martian gasped. "He's Captain Marvel."

"Are Captain Marvel?" Cyra asked with an arched eyebrow. "You do know Captain Marvel is, like, six foot? And an adult? And smoke and dust like the rest of them, right?"

"Yeah, and I'm Speedy Gonzalez," Kid Flash said sarcastically. "Look, just because he believes he's Cap—"

"Geez, Wally, do I really have to bring you nachos and pineapple juice to get on your good side?" The boy asked, smirking.

The whole Team looked to began. She was wearing the same look on her face as the boy—Captain Marvel, apparently. A genuine grin suddenly grew on Cyra's face as she pulled her head back and laughed. She pointed to Wally.

"He just did it to get on your good side! Ha! He doesn't worship you, Kid Idiot."

"Shut up," Kid Flash groaned as he slapped the back of her head.

"Don't make me break your other arm," Cyra threatened and Wally stuck her tongue out.

"Enough," Aqualad snapped. "Captain Marvel, what's going on?"

"And what are you?" Cyra added.

"It's a long story. I got my powers from some wizard to turn into Captain Marvel, but there are two worlds! One for adults and one for kids. All that matters is that I can move between them."

Aqualad nodded, his eyes narrowed. "We must relay a message to the Justice League."

Captain Marvel Jr. nodded. "I can do that."

"There will be threats in both dimensions and we may not be familiar with our opponents," Batman spoke through Captain Marvel's boy body.

"But the key to this mission is a coordinated, simultaneous attack," Aqualad said.

"Agreed, out best chance against sorcery is to strike fast, disrupt their efforts—"

"—and naturally the two dimensions form back into one."

Zatanna crossed her arms, looking sad. Cyra put a comforting hand on her shoulder and threw her a grin. "Hey," she said softly. "We'll get your dad back soon. All of the Leaguers and adults."

The dark-haired girl gave her a small smile but didn't seem very comforted nonetheless.

A dark red glowing formation of odd symbols sat in a four-way clearing of Roanoke Island. The skinny boy with a sharp face and spiked hair stood in the middle. His orange cat meowed next to him—its red eyes gazing into the darkness of the trees.

The last time Cyra saw Klarion was when she was taken out and Kent Nelson, the old Doctor Fate, was killed. Her nose was flaring as she floating along in the shadows. This would be Kent's retribution.

A whoosh cut through the air and Klarion got some warning from his devil cat, turning around and trapping the batarangs that Robin threw and the arrows Artemis shot in a ball of red energy before they fell uselessly to the ground.

"That's the best you can do?" Klarion asked, daring to be innocent.

He spread out his fingers and a bolt of red lightning shocked down on between Artemis and Robin, causing them to go flying in separate directions with strangled yells. Cyra took it as her cue as herself along with Superboy, Aqualad—brandishing an aquatic hammer, and Kid Flash ran at the boy from either side. Kid Flash ran at the boy with abnormal speed and the Green Lantern was nothing but a blur coming at him as Superboy jumped into the air, falling down with a battle cry.

A force field appeared in front of Cyra's face and she had no time to react before hitting it. A shock went through her body as she richotched off back into the air, twisting and almost hitting the ground before she managed to steady herself. The others went bouncing across the ground.

Zatanna slid in front of Superboy's groaning shape. "Etativel mih ffo eht margatnep!"

A small shimmer appeared in the force field, but the attack did nothing.

"Heh, baby magic," he said before raising his hand up. "Fi ehs stnaw ot etativel os yldab, tel reh!"

Zatanna screamed as she was rocketed into the air. Cyra was there to catch her mid-air before putting her back to the ground. "Thanks," the Magician rubbed her head.

"Don't mention it."

Miss Martian was shoving large boulders at the force field, causing ripples to appear. Klarion opened his mouth and breath like a dragon came out. Miss Martian just barely ducked out of the way.

"He can hit us but we can't hit him," Cyra said. "How are we supposed to stop this guy?"

An arrow arced through the air and at the cat, turning into a ball of green yarn on the way. The cat pawed at it with a meow. Cyra and Zatanna shared a look.

"Get the cat," they said in unison before running in that direction.

"Show them what a familiar to a Lord of Chaos can do, Teekl," Klarion chuckled.

The cat suddenly grew. Its fur became bushy in some spots and others showed pink skin underneath as its muscles bulged larger. The cat's front teeth grew out into two long fangs similar to those of a saber tooth tigers. Cyra and Zatanna slid to a stop as they watched the transformation, wide-eyed.

"Did anyone bring the catnip?" Cyra asked.

"No," Zatanna admitted.

"We should've."

Superboy ran at the cat with a roar, being backhanded by its massive paw and he went sprawling into the dirt next to Cyra's feet.

"Try to get through his force field. I'll fight the cat," Cyra said, and Zatanna nodded in agreement.

Cyra launched into the sky above the cat. The massive beast looked up and bared its fangs in a purr. Cyra shrugged and made a large ax float above her head, but before she could slice it down and make cat-slices, the monster reared up and slapped the Green Lantern out of the air like a buzzing fly.

She went twisting into the ground, rolling over herself. The cat was about to pounce with his jaws ready to get a nice Green Lantern snack when Superboy jumped between them, his hands holding the cat's jaws apart. Cyra quickly scrambled to her feet.

The glowing blue diamond in the middle of the circle was suddenly spinning, making a ding sound like a text message has been sent.

"So, you teamed up with the grownups," Klarion muttered. "Teamwork is so overrated."

The witch boy spread out his hand, lightning igniting from the gem exploded out, hitting the others and forcing them into the ground. Artemis and Robin were K.O.ed from the shock. Cyra was a little busy with her pet problem at the moment to try and help.

Her thoughts whirled at what to do. The Green Lantern shoved out her hands, sending the cat flying back into a tree, but it did little to no damage. The cat merely got up and advanced on them again.

"Distract it for me," Superboy growled.

A smirk lit Cyra's features beneath her mask. "I already have an idea."

The cat stopped in its tracks as a large ball of green yarn—similar to the one Klarion made earlier—rolled in front of it. The beast tilted its head as it pawed at the yarn. Like snakes, when the cat touched its foot to the yarn, the strings began to wrap around it. Realizing the trick too late, the cat let out a screech as it tried to fight against the yawn, but like quicksand, the more it fought, the faster the yawn constricted it, wrapping both of its front paws together.

Superboy jumped on the cat's back, wrapping his muscular arms around its neck as both of them tried to force it to the ground. Cyra yanked downwards, fighting to get the cat onto its stomach so Superboy could finish it.

A sudden voice echoed through Cyra's head, "It's the gem, at the center of the pentagram. Destroy it and we win!" Cyra recognized it as Captain Marvel.

"That's all I needed to know," Zatanna's voice said mysteriously.

"Zatanna!" Aqualad yelled.

"Stop!" Wally screamed.

Cyra glanced over her shoulder to see the Helmet of Fate leveling over Zatanna's head. "No!" She shouted, but her hands were busy with the cat and she could only watch helplessly as the came down upon her head.

A bright light started at her eyes and shot outwards, making Cyra look away. She heard the cat scream again. The flash was gone just as fast as it had come and when Cyra looked back, Zatanna was floating above them in a blue and gold cape and her bright sapphire eyes barely visible behind the helmet.

But Zatanna was no longer there anymore. Cyra was looking at Doctor Fate.

Everyone was watching Doctor Fate spread out her arms, a golden Anubis symbol appearing behind her in the sky. Cyra and Superboy were still fighting to hold down the cat while the others sat in varying degrees of pain on the ground.

"Klarion!" Zatanna's voice began deeper—two voices speaking through one body. "This ends now."

"Billy—tell Zatara!" Miss Martian's voice said in their heads. Next thing Cyra heard, coming muffled from her left 'ear', was the sound of thunder crashing and she could only assume that Billy was gone.

Klarion and Doctor Fate both let out streams of magically charged energy at each other, it meeting in the air like the end of Harry Potter. Cyra turned back to the cat, which was fighting with renewed energy as Cyra felt like her arms were trying to be ripped from her body. The yawn tangled it's lower body, but its back was wiggling and head arching up and down. Superboy struggled to stay on like a bull-rider. Cyra snapped her hand up and a line of yarn wrapped around the cat's neck, pulling its nose to the ground.

The rest of the Team was hammering Klarion's force field with all they had. The witch boy was shooting balls of magic at Doctor Fate, who flew out of the way before unleashing his own assault of golden energy on the shield.

Oddly, Zatanna seemed to shudder in the air, the suit disappearing and herself almost falling every few seconds.

"Ha! There, see? When the world's divided, the helmet splits too. You're not all here, Nabu!" Klarion's face turned demonic with snake-like slits for a nose and pupil-less eyes. "And your losing hold of that soon-to-be-dead girl! She gave herself up for nothing!"

"No, witch boy," Doctor Fate argued, raising up her arm that was filled with magic. "Fate decrees her sacrifice will not be in vain!"

The strongest yet column of energy came down on Klarion.

"No, no, no, no, no!" He cried like a baby as Miss Martian and Aqualad both started to attack in sync.

The shield slowly fell.

Doctor Fate threw an Anubis symbol down at Klarion, locking him in his own special pair of magical handcuffs.

"Now, Kid!" Aqualad yelled.

Kid Flash ran in and took the gem out of the middle of the circle. He threw it up into the sky. "Huh, Doc, catch!"

Doctor Fate caught it and brought it into both of her hands. "Yam eht owt emoceb eno ecno erom!"

Cyra took a step back as another white light appeared, four groaning sorcery villains fell into the pentagram along with Batman, Red Tornado, Zatara, and Captain Marvel appearing with them next to the Team.

Klarion looked to his fallen comrades. "Boy, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to. Oh well." He snapped his fingers and his cage disappeared. "Fun while it lasted. Teekl," he called softly. The cat shrunk back down through its bonds, the yarn becoming useless and Superboy fell off it's back.

Before Cyra could catch it, the cat sprinted towards its owner and jumped into his arms. Klarion made a portal appear behind him. "See you later, armadillos. Unless I see you first."

Cyra lunged forward, a bolt of her own green lightning arcing from her wrist, but it was too late. Klarion was already inside the portal, disappearing with a laugh. Cyra's yarn construct disappeared as she helped Superboy up from the ground.

"Aren't you going to stop him?" Wally demanded, looking towards Doctor Fate.

"To what end? Klarion is chaos personified. He cannot be contained."

Robin and Artemis were standing again as the Team gathered around towards Doctor Fate, who was floating silently above them.

"Did we win?" Robin groaned.

"At a cost," Aqualad said.

"Fate!" Zatara stepped forward, gazing with anger at his daughter's body. "Great Nabu, release my daughter."

After a moment of silence, "No."

Zatara gasped.

"Hear what the Helmet wants in these hours. The world needs Doctor Fat and the girl's natural affinity for the mystic arts makes her the perfect candidate."

"You can't do that!" Artemis exclaimed.

"She has her own life to live!" Robin argued.

"Kent would never allow you—"

Fate cut off Kid Flash, "Kent Nelson did object, strenuously, so I released his spirit to the afterlife. He is gone."

Kid Flash was frozen in shock. A heat rumbled in Cyra's gut as she stepped forward, punching her fist into her palm. "Take off the Helmet!" She demanded. "Or we'll do it for you!"

"I am the only one who can remove this Helmet. It was futile to try."

The Team and the Leaguers looked between each other, helplessly. Cyra's skin felt like paper as her heart jumped in her throat. They couldn't lose a friend—especially like this. Cyra swore at the Helmet in her mind. The world didn't need Doctor Fate that badly.

"Take me instead," Zatara stepped forward. A small gasp left Cyra's lips. "My skills are already at their peak. My body is physically stronger, better able to withstand the strain of your power."

"All true," Doctor Fate mused. "But if I remove the Helmet, what guarantee have I that you will do it?"

"My word," Zatara said. He spread out his hands above him. "Uoy evah ym drow."

Silently, Doctor Fate floated down and slowly pulled the Helmet off Zatanna's head. She blinked in confusion before seeing her father. "Dad!"

"Zatanna!" The father and daughter magic duo embraced. "Remember . . . I love you," Zatara kissed the top to Zatanna's head.

Zatanna frowned, sensing something was amiss.

Zatara took the Helmet from his daughter's hand and looked back at the Team and the Leaguers. "Take care of my girl."

"You have my word," Batman vowed.

Cyra, too, nodded. Her mind was still spinning with the mantra, this is bad, this is bad.

Robin moved over to comfort Zatanna, but she moved away. "Please, no! This was my fault! Dad, don't! Dad!"

But it was too late as the Helmet fell of Zatara's eyes.

Now—it was Doctor Fate.

"Leave these to the Fate." Doctor Fate turned away, rising into the air along with the tied up villains and disappearing into a brief show of gold.

Zatanna fell to her knees. Robin, Artemis, and Kid Flash followed her down. Cyra's chin his her chest as Superboy wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

That was two good men already lost to Doctor Fate.

Brion Household

November 7, 08:02 EDT

The house was screaming when Cyra walked through the door. The whole ten-kid family was officially in the house, crowded around Kailey Brion, who was laughing with the stains of tears on her face as she embraced the little ones climbing all over her.

"Cyra, where have you been!" Tasha, Cyra's seventeen-year-old sister screamed. Alexa then repeated the question, screaming louder as her two older sisters shoved her into the large room, where she was peppered with questions.

"I got locked in the school trying to get some homework. The janitor disappeared before he could let me back out," Cyra lied. It scared her how easy it was getting to look into the people she cared about the closest eyes and say that.

"No calls! You would never answer!" Alexa threw her arms up before her arms were like a cobra, cutting off Cyra's voice and almost choking her again.

"I'm fine," Cyra pushed her away. She fought through the throng of little children and their repetitive questions before reaching her mother. Cyra fell into her arms as she sat in the chair, shoving her face into her collarbone, closing her eyes to restrict the years. "Hey, mom." Her voice was muffled.

"Cyra, honey, are you alright?" Kailey rubbed her daughter's back.

"I'm fine. Just glad that you're okay."

"No, I'm just glad you're okay," Kailey said before whispering in Cyra's ear, "Thank you, my little hero."

Cyra's eyes snapped open and pulled away, her mouth moving but no words coming out.

Kailey arched a blonde eyebrow as she cupped her daughter's face with one hand. "Do I look like an idiot to you, Cyra Sventon Brion?"

"No, ma'am!" Cyra said quickly.

Mount Justice

November 7, 09:16 EDT

Cyra had just finished with the last of Zatanna's boxes, giving her a comforting pat on the back before exiting the room. She went into the souvenir's room, the Helmet of Fate's empty spot being filled by a blue and yellow sippy cup by Wally. Cyra never thought she would wish that they still had the Helmet.

"Nice souvenir," she complimented, her hands stuffed in her pockets as she came to stand next to the ginger-haired speedster.

"Yeah," Wally sighed softly.

"Your parents back?"

Wally smiled and repeated, "Yeah. Yours?"

Cyra nodded. "Turns out, my mom knew I was a Green Lantern."

Wally snorted. "The League asked everyone's parents before joining the League. We're minors, remember?"

The Green Lantern's mouth fell open. "Seriously? So she knew this whole time?"

"Probably."

Cyra glared forward, her eyes narrowing. "Well, now I'm grounded for lying and doing dangerous things."

"Guess that means no date with 'Charlie'." Wally used finger quotes around his name, smirking victoriously.

Cyra shriveled up her face. "Ha, ha, ha, so funny," she said sarcastically, rolling her eyes. "But yeah. I live a sad life."

Wally bumped her shoulder. "She still lets you come to the cave though?"

"Yeah. That's hero business."

"Then just spend your free time here," Wally said. He was tapping his foot at an abnormally fast speed to be nonchalant.

"I can't bring Charlie into the Cave," Cyra exclaimed.

Wally rolled his eyes and let out a groan. "You're so stupid sometimes. No, but you could hang out with me—and the Team."

Cyra ignored the stupid comment—for now—and smirked. Her amber eyes glowed with mischief, gazing at Wally from the corner of her eye. "Are you asking me on a date, Ginger?"

"What? No!" Wally defended, a slight rose color inching its way up his neck. "No one wants to go on a date with you, Blondie."

"I can think of a few people, actually." Cyra's smirk never faded.

"Like who?"

"Charlie," Cyra said obviously. ". . . and you."

Wally snorted and shook his head. "You wish."

"Ah yes," Cyra mused, "my dreams are filled with you and me, sitting in the kitchen as I watch you absorb cookies and burp every thirty seconds."

It was Wally's turn to smirk. "I knew you dreamt about me."

They both laughed before Cyra turned away to walk out of the room when Wally grabbed her arm and spin her back to face him.

"But," he said pointedly, "if you do ever need someone to hang out with—"

"Connor is open, I know," Cyra joked before nodded understandingly. "I get it, Wally. Now go home and stop hanging onto me." She wiggled her arm from his grasp. "I know I'm undeniably hot in my god-like status, but I can't be seen with the help."

"No, I'm the king." Wally puffed out his chest.

Cyra let out a barking laughter. Her twisted her ring on her finger and a glowing green crown appeared on her blonde hair. "Bow down to your queen, remember?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 97 47
**Based off of the New 52/Rebirth Storylines as well as some Arrowverse characters** After a mysterious illness affect the men on Earth, most of the...
6.4K 168 6
Batman has Robin. Flash has Kid Flash. Green Arrow had Speedy and then Artemis. Superman has Superboy wheater he likes it or not. Aquaman has Aqualad...
69.7K 3.5K 22
For months now, the young justice league noticed their mentors coming back from a mission either injured or distressed and never knew who was the vil...
137K 5.4K 41
Jaina is an human alien. No one, not even the Guardians of the Universe, know where she is from. And she can't remember. Green Lanterns Hal Jordan an...