Don't Fall For Me

By gizness

Gretchen Adams is graduating from high school this year. She wants this to be a year she'll remember all her... More

Chapter Two
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12

Chapter One

325 7 2
By gizness

GRETCHEN ON THE SIDE>>>>>

Chapter One

Don't Fall For Me

"Thanks for letting me stay over tonight" I say to my best friend as we step out of her car.

"You don't need to thank me Gretch" She says rolling her eyes dramatically. "Your always welcome at my house."

I shivered once we were outside her front door. Seriously the whether is horrible here in Springs Bay, it's always raining, hailing, storming, it's awful and not too mention it depresses the shit out of me.

We just got back from another long depressing day at school. I haven't been focusing in school much lately. My best friend tells me that I'm going to go insane if I keep thinking about the past.

What's happened in the past might you ask? Well I'll take you back to two years ago when it all happened.

(flashback)

"No! No no no no!! Somebody help!! Help me please he's going to die HELPPPP!" I shouted at the top of my lungs as I turned to face him.

The car was upside down. I couldn't breath. I felt like the airway in my lungs were tightening by the second, not because of the accident but because of the sight I saw.

Blood trickled down from his forehead, his chest had a large metal pole through it.

"Caleb please stay with me!" I shouted shaking him as his eyes slowly closed. His breathe was slowing down. No please god don't let him die! Please, I began chanting in my head.

I could hear people on the phone calling for the paramedics. God I hope they get here in time, I can't lose him! I can't lose him!

"I-I love you Gretchen" Were the last words I heard from him before he died. And then the darkness swallowed me, and until now I'm living in it.

(End of flashback)

"He was the love of my life, I didn't deserve to live, why was he the one that had to die?" I didn't realise that tears were free falling from my eyes, and my voice slightly quivering as I thought of that horrendous day.

This happens every day, I got into a flashback which ends up with me crying and shaking, it's quite embarrassing but I can't help it. Plus Sasha is my best friend and she knows what's happened in my life.

My parents are both in Hawaii on a business trip, which I think was just an excuse to get out of here, and truly I can't blame them. I wouldn't want to stay in Springs Bay, it's just filled with sad memories.

"Gretchen, calm down. Let's go inside and I'll make us some hot chocolate ok?" She said, her tone filled with sincerity. I love Sasha, we've been best friends since we were in diapers. Were both 17 now, and we attend the same school.

After we got inside, she scurried to the kitchen and made us some hot chocolate. She brought the two mugs outside to the living, placing them on the coffee table.

She sat beside me and leaned me closer to her. She's always by my side when I need her, and I literally mean right by my side. She's the best, best friend anyone can ask for.

"Gretch, remember your promise?" She started "This year is going to be different, were seniors now, were graduating" She said trying to sound excited.

I smiled and laughed at her enthusiasm "I know, I'm sorry. I wish these flash backs would just go away" I sigh heavily as I wish that would happen.

"Soon baby, I promise"

=============

After watching three movies continuously I looked up at the wall clock to see it was nearly 6pm and my shift at the diner starts at 7pm.

"Shit, I gotta Sasha" I jump up from the couch, nearly spilling the left offer hot chocolate.

"I'll drive you" She says, but I object telling her I need some fresh air anyway. Although there is no fresh air here. Seriously this town should be called Depressing Bay or Dark Bay, I would call this town anything but Spring.

"Are you sure?" She asks as I grab my jacket off the coat rack.

"I'm sure, you can pick me up though, my shift ends at midnight don't be late" I point my finger in a warning manner and she chuckles.

"Don't worry I won't" She reassures me as I walk out the front door.

I'm immediately greeted with a cold breeze much colder than it was earlier in the day. Hey, at least it's not raining.

The diner was a fifteen minute walk from Sasha's house, and from mine it was about ten minutes.

I put my hand on the locket that Caleb once gave to me. It was a heart shaped locket that had a photo of me and him in it. I would never take it off, even when I went in the shower. I couldn't, that's like the only thing I have left of him and if I was to get rid of it, I'd kill myself.

As I turned onto Maylen Lane, the little diner came into view. I enjoyed working there, the manager, Hilary is like the big sister I never had. She's kind and was generous enough to offer me a job when she met me. It's been a year since I've worked here and honestly I can't picture my life without working here anymore.

The chef Maurice is Hilary's father, he's like a second dad to me, I love working for them, there so friendly and understanding. They both know about the accident that happened, and they both comforted me like they've known me their whole lives.

Upon entering the diner, I notice it's extremely busy. Lucky I'm early so I decided to help out.

"Boy am I glad to see you" Hilary smiled once I walked into the kitchen.

"It's chaos out there"

"Lucky I came early then" I smirked before putting on my apron and walking back outside ready to take orders.

At around 11pm it finally died down and I could go on my break. My break is me having a cup of coffee and a cigarette. Hilary and her father were in the kitchen cleaning up, so I went out the back which leads to an empty alleyway.

I lit up my cigarette and inhaled deeply letting the nicotine sink in, then I exhaled releasing the smoke from my mouth. I know as a seventeen year old girl I shouldn't be smoking, but I'm addicted and I just can't seem to stop, I wish I could.

As I'm sipping my hot coffee I faintly heard two people arguing. It sounded like it's coming from around the corner. I peered my head to where the voices were coming from and I saw two guys standing there ready to fight. Oh god this can't be good!

One of the guys punched the other guy causing him to stumble backwards landing on the hard concrete floor. He kept kicking him and I knew I had to stop him.

Luckily I always carry pepper spray with me so I run up behind me quietly, hoping the other guy who clearly could see me wouldn't give me away.

"Hey fucker!" I tapped him on the shoulder making him turn to face me. Before he could say or do anything, I sprayed the pepper spray in his eyes.

He fell backwards rubbing his eyes and screaming in agony. I quickly shouted for Maurice to come outside and surly after a few seconds he appeared behind me with Hillary by his side.

"Call the police, this guy was attacking this guy" I pointed to the guy on the floor who looked beaten up.

Maurice quickly called the cops and shortly afterwards they arrived at the scene and took the guy away. They asked us if they can ask a few questions so we all went back into the diner.

The guy looked hesitant about going in so I waited for everyone to go in before I spoke to him. "Whatever it is you did, don't worry they don't have any evidence against you"

He stared at me for a few seconds and that's when I finally saw his eyes.

Oh my god, they are beautiful. They're an emerald green colour that are so captivating and mesmerising.

His hair was messy and hang over his forehead. Overall he was very attractive.

"What makes you think I've done anything?" He asked keeping his eyes on mine. I felt like he was staring into my soul. Look away damn it!

Before I could respond Hillary came back out telling us to hurry in because the police started getting suspicious.

As we entered I saw the officers sitting in the far left in a booth, with their notepads ready to ask away their questions.

I sat opposite from them, the boy right beside me. There were two officers. One of them had short orangish hair, chubby and short with a stern face, and the other was tall, with dark hair and glasses.

"So tell me exactly what you saw Mrs..-" He trailed off waiting for me to say my name.

I bit my lip "Just call me Gretchen"

"Ok Gretchen, tell me what you saw" The tall officer, whose name tag read 'Harrison, readied his pen holding it between his long lanky fingers.

"I was just having a smoke and coffee at the back alley, and I heard argument coming from around the corner and I saw that guy you took, beating up this guy"

"Did you hear what they were talking about?" The orange haired officer, who's name tag read O'Brien asked.

"No I didn't" I answer truthfully. "Why are you asking me question? Shouldn't you be asking the other guy who clearly has the problem" I raised a brow, slightly feeling annoyed.

I looked up to see Hilary and Maurice giving me the 'don't be rude' faces.

"You're right miss, were going to talk to him after we finish up here" O'Brien says, while Harrison jots down more things on his notepad.

"Now" Harrison starts turning to the guy next to me "What's you're name son?"

"Brayden Withers"

Both officers looked at each other with startled expressions. "Well well well, Brayden's in trouble once again" O'Brien smirked cockily, while Harrison wrote more things down.

"Look I didn't start shit this time, go ahead and search me, I ain't got shit on me" He says opening out his arms.

Does Brayden have a history with police? It seems like he gets into trouble always.

I just want to go, Sasha's going to be here soon and she's gonna wonder what the heck is going on. I look at my watch to see it's 11:52pm. Shit, she'll be here soon.

"Don't worry, your not in trouble this time since you didn't start the fight tonight, but you need to answers us questions, what did that guy want?" Harrison asked Brayden.

"I don't know, I was taking a shortcut home coming back from my friends house, and the guy showed up outta nowhere talking bout me owing him money, and I've never even seen the guy" Brayden responds while Harrison keeps writing it all down.

I don't know whether Brayden is telling the truth or not, but I can't say otherwise. The cops seem to be buying it.

"So you've never seen him before?" O'Brien confirms.

"No" he replies annoyance lacing his tone.

"Ok I think we've got everything we need for now" Harrison says as they both stand up. "But we've got our eye on you Brayden, don't forget that"

They both thank Hilary and Maurice as they head outside the diner and into their car.

Just as they drove off, Sasha's car came into view. She honked as she saw me waving for me to come out.

I signalled one minute to her as I turned to face Hilary, Maurice and Brayden who was still sitting in the booth.

"I'll see you both tomorrow, and sorry for all this" I say to Hilary and Maurice.

"Don't be silly, it's ok, we'll see you tomorrow" Hilary smiles.

"Umm can I give you a ride home?" I ask Brayden who looks lost in his thoughts. I feel kinda bad for him, he looks pretty beat up.

"No I can walk" he spoke in a flat tone as he stood up and walked out of the diner.

Weird? He seems really upset.

"I'll uh see you guys tomorrow, bye" I wave to Hilary and Maurice as I walk out of the diner.

I get in Sasha's car and luckily she didn't see the police car so she won't ask what's going on, I will tell her once we get home. For now, my brain is buzzing and I need to relax it.

I breath in, and breath out. But all the while, I can't get that guy outta my head. How he seemed so upset, I wonder why?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 111 31
Meet, Ezra. A teen who's been waiting for her Dearly Beloved to take a look at her. She's been in love for years but now that he's finally begun to t...
267 22 11
Its a story about a teenage girl who is in senior year of her high school. She have perfect family, perfect friend, perfect boyfriend but you know in...
5.6K 686 61
And when I had informed Finn of my obvious concerns, - He had pulled me up against him so close that I could feel his breath on my cheek, - and whisp...
1.7K 40 21
You know the moment when you fall in love with a special someone. You expect high expectations and expect nothing to ever go wrong. We'll that's the...