Standing Together

By KittyHazelnut

***Third book in the Strings Attached series*** So, maybe Dean wasn't exaggerating after all when he called... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150

Chapter 58

620 48 101
By KittyHazelnut

Flash forward another month and it's Christmas. Just like before, Castiel and Dean haven't had a whole lot of time together, with Dean constantly at various football stadiums, but they savor every moment they can get together. Thankfully, Christmas is one of those moments.

It's not Sunday, so Dean doesn't have to be at a game and he gets the morning off. It's a once-a-year thing, apparently, just to give the players a little time with their family. It only gives them a few hours, because practice wasn't entirely cancelled, but a few hours is better than none.

Dean's alarm is as loud and obnoxious as ever, and Castiel's first instinct is to cover his ear with his pillow and go back to sleep. Dean takes his pillow away before he gets the chance.

"'Morning, Cas," Dean says, shaking him gently to wake him up. "Or should I say 'Merry Christmas'?"

Castiel sits up immediately. "Today's Christmas!"

Dean chuckles. "Yes, and we're on a bit of a deadline, so c'mon."

He takes Castiel's hand and leads him to the living room, where various wrapped boxes sit "under the Christmas tree." It was a sad realization when he found out Dean doesn't actually own a Christmas tree. According to him, he didn't need one because he lived alone and didn't celebrate Christmas here.

Of course, Castiel couldn't let that slide, so he ordered a small, 18-inch-tall (approximately half a meter) Christmas tree, which he put on a little table in the living room a couple weeks ago. As a joke, they decided to print out little pictures of themselves and tie them to the tree with floss, making the weirdest but cutest ornaments Castiel has ever seen. It was actually a really fun project.

"Who's FaceTiming Lucifer?" Castiel asks. They had already promised him they would do it, because Lucifer wanted to see their reaction to the gifts the rest of the family put together back in Sioux Falls for them, and screen record it to show everyone else later in the day.

"I'll do it," Dean says. He puts his phone down against the wall, pointing it at the two boys before FaceTiming Lucifer, who answers almost immediately.

"Present time?" Lucifer says with a grin. He keeps his voice down, probably so he doesn't wake anyone up. "I think it's present time. Go open presents."

Dean and Castiel sit on the other side of room as the camera. Dean's the one who drags the first box over to them. It's fairly big, which is never a good sign when Lucifer is involved. It's comforting to know that this is a group present, so Lucifer would have had to get everyone's approval before doing something too extra.

"That's mostly for Dean but kind of for both of you," Lucifer tells them.

Dean raises an eyebrow. "And now I'm scared."

"As you should be," Lucifer adds.

"Good luck," Castiel whispers quietly.

Dean tears the wrapping paper off the box carelessly, only to find a normal cardboard moving box. Dean tries to rip the box open, but it's been taped too much.

"I'll be right back with a pair of scissors," Dean announces, then walks away. He returns a minute or so later with a sharp kitchen knife. "It's the best I could do."

"Talk about heavy duty present opening," Castiel says, amused.

"I know, I know, I'm weird," Dean says. "Hey, Lucifer, is this fragile? And is it filled all the way to the top?"

"Not really and no," Lucifer replies.

"Awesome."

"I'm scared," Castiel says. "What are you going to do?"

Dean just wiggles his eyebrows at him before turning back to the box. He looks overly serene for a few moments. Then, out of nowhere, he starts aggressively stabbing the top of the box. "Die! Die, you stupid little box! Die!"

Castiel doubles over in laughter, which makes Dean start laughing, too. When Castiel sits back up like a normal person, he says, "I should have known better than to trust you with a knife," though it's barely audible through his laughter.

"You really should have," Dean agrees. "But even if we disagree on the method, at least we agree that the box must be opened. Ready?"

Dean flips the now cut flaps of the box open to reveal what has to be hundreds of CDs, with a note that says, "Enjoy the entire discography of every single singer you've ever defended on Twitter, as well as some of our personal favorites that you've probably never heard of."

Both boys burst out laughing at this. They begin taking the CDs out, stacking them by artist just to see who the rest of the Novaks and the Winchesters have decided to introduce him to. It has to take at least 15 minutes, but soon, not only have they pulled out and sorted every single CD, but they're also in alphabetical order by the artist's first name.

The last CDs in the box, laid out flat along the bottom in one full layer, are all of Castiel's CDs. Dean takes one out and studies the cover intently for a moment.

"I don't think I've ever heard of this Cass-teel person before," Dean says. He hands the CD to his fiancé. "He's, like, wicked hot. I would totally tap that."

Castiel playfully smacks him on the head with the CD. "Why are you the way that you are?"

"I don't know, Cas, but you're welcome."

They put all the CDs back in the box, keeping them in alphabetical order. Next is the other gift from the Novaks and Winchesters, which Lucifer says is mostly for Castiel but also for Dean. It comes in a much smaller box, which probably means it's not quite as weird as the first gift, which is comforting. Castiel carefully removes all the wrapping paper and slides the box out.

"Oh my god," Castiel says quietly. "Is that..." He opens up the cardboard box and finds a note on top, which Castiel reads out loud.

"'It's become a tradition over the last few years for me to make you gifts that involve a bunch of pictures. They're usually really cute, and you gush over them like I handed you a block of gold, and the hours I put into them are totally worth it. But it occurred to me this year that it's no longer a time to look at the past like you would with a scrapbook. You're engaged, and that means you're going to start building your future with Dean. What better way to maintain my cute picture spree while focusing on your future than to let you save these memories yourself? So here's your very own personal Polaroid camera. I've already made sure it's all set up for you. Take some pictures with Dean in my honor. Love, Charlie & co.'"

Castiel takes the camera out of the box and just looks at it for a few moments. Finally, he says, "I thought it was cool when I saw a Polaroid camera, but the note just makes this so much cuter."

"What did we do to deserve Charlie?" Dean says with a fond smile.

"Hey, Dean, say cheese!" Castiel holds the camera out in front of them, beaming. Dean sticks his tongue out at the camera, and Castiel starts laughing just as he takes the picture. It prints out fairly quickly, and Castiel shakes the plain white picture around for a minute. The color starts to fade in, but not entirely. Castiel puts it down on top of the camera box to look at later.

"That's it from you guys," Dean says to Lucifer. "Now's your chance to make your speedy exit."

"Did you guys get each other gifts?" Lucifer asks. "Because I want to stick around for all of it."

Dean shakes his head in amusement. "Well, it's your funeral." He reaches under the tree and hands Castiel a wrapped up shoebox. "It's honestly a really shitty present, so please remember that I love you and I tried."

Castiel chuckles. "I'm sure it'll be great."

"No, don't say that," Dean says quickly. "If you get your hopes up, you're gonna think it's even worse."

Castiel raises an eyebrow. "Okay, well, I'm sure it will suck."

"Thank you! Much better!"

Castiel shakes his head in amusement. He unwraps the box and takes the lid off to find a much of little stuffed Disney tsum tsums — which, for those of you who live tsum-tsum-less lives, are little stuffed animals that are about the length of your finger, and you can stack them and make cute little Disney character pyramids and they're beautiful.

"Oh my god!" Castiel scoops some of them out. "The hell do you mean, it's a shitty present? They're so freaking cute!" He throws them up in the air, and, as they fall back down, Castiel yells, "Confetti! It's a parade!"

Dean laughs. "I'm glad I didn't completely fail my present shopping."

"Dean, this is the cutest thing I've ever seen," Castiel tells him. "I'm going to put them everywhere. I have an entire army of squishy Disney characters. I could rule the world!"

"I think you're shooting just a little too high on that," Dean says, amused.

"Nonsense!" Castiel declares. "This is my key to world domination."

Dean shakes his head. "Well, hey, you do you."

Castiel grabs the last box under the Christmas tree and hands it to Dean. "Merry Christmas."

Dean unwraps the box to reveal yet another shoe box. Where do they get this many shoes? He carefully takes the lid off and puts it to the side. When he sees what's inside, he slaps a hand over his mouth, just staring at it silently.

"They're not the ones you lost, if that's what you're thinking," Castiel says. "And I know they can't replace the ones your dad left for you. I just thought, you know, if you're going to be driving places, you might want some cassette tapes to listen to, so these are the ones I remember you had. It's not all your old ones —"

Dean cuts him off by wrapping his arms around him in a tight hug and pressing their lips together. Castiel doesn't hesitate to kiss him back, even if he's a little surprised by the reaction.

"Thank you," Dean says quietly. "Thank you so much."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 93 17
"Was there something you wanted to say?" I nodded my head as he tore the tape from my mouth. I had to bite my tongue to stop from hissing in pain, r...
12.7K 540 12
I love the idea of Destiel, that a human and an angel can move beyond the physical boundaries of the human body, and find something deeper in each ot...
44.7K 2K 32
This is a story that I'm writing for the 30 Day OTP Challenge so it'll be uploaded every day for thirty days. I have a prompt a day but if you have a...
963K 40K 25
This is a Destiel fanfic of you're into that sorta thing. Also... This is my first time writing. So... fingers crossed. (: Hope you enjoy it.